PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best read on Stalingrad, read 1st chapter here:

Freycinet
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0142000000/ref=sib_rdr_rdp2/002-8390847-4710438?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books

This link will take you to the first chapter of "Enemy at the Gates" by William Craig, a fantastic book which stands heads and shoulders above most other works on WWII, including Beevor's tome on Stalingrad.

You can read the 1st chapter by clicking on the link just below the image of the book cover.

The rather mediocre movie of the same name was based on just 10 pages of the book. The book tells the global story of the Battle of Stalingrad, not just the sniper's duel.

The Stalingrad battle really comes alive due to Craigs intense and rich language. The horror practically leaps from the pages.

If you want to read the best book about the biggest and most crucial battle of WWII, the battle which truly "turned the tide", then this is it: a riveting read.

Freycinet
06-10-2004, 01:23 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0142000000/ref=sib_rdr_rdp2/002-8390847-4710438?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books

This link will take you to the first chapter of "Enemy at the Gates" by William Craig, a fantastic book which stands heads and shoulders above most other works on WWII, including Beevor's tome on Stalingrad.

You can read the 1st chapter by clicking on the link just below the image of the book cover.

The rather mediocre movie of the same name was based on just 10 pages of the book. The book tells the global story of the Battle of Stalingrad, not just the sniper's duel.

The Stalingrad battle really comes alive due to Craigs intense and rich language. The horror practically leaps from the pages.

If you want to read the best book about the biggest and most crucial battle of WWII, the battle which truly "turned the tide", then this is it: a riveting read.

Freycinet
06-10-2004, 01:27 PM
"Editorial Reviews

Cornelius Ryan
Probably the best single work on the epic battle of Stalingrad...An unforgettable and haunting reading experience.

James Michener
Craig has written a book with both historical significance and intense personal drama

Harrison Salisbury
A classic account of the Stalingrad epic

About the Author
William Craig was a native of Concord, Massachusetts. Enemy at the Gates is the culmination of five years of research, during which he traveled extensively on three continents, studying documents and interviewing hundreds of survivors of Stalingrad.

Book Description
Stalingrad, the bloodiest battle in the history of warfare, cost the lives of nearly two million men and women. It signaled the beginning of the end for Adolph Hitler and foretold the juggernaut that would destroy Berlin and make the Soviet Union a superpower. The author, William Craig, interviewed hundreds of survivors of the battle, both Russian and German, and has woven their incredible experiences into the fabric of hitherto unknown documents. The resulting tapestry is epic in scope and awesome in its depiction of heroism and tragedy."

Capt._Tenneal
06-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Interesting. My local library has both Craig and Beevor's books and I was leaning toward Beevor because it was the newer book and must have, I thought, the benefit of recent declassified Soviet documents. Now I'll check out Craig also.

Do any of these authors give any treatment to the air war above Stalingrad ?

NegativeGee
06-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I thought Beevor's book was a less emotively written, dryer account of the battle. Craig's version certainly has more "drama" to it.

Both are worth reading, and each author, in their respective styles, convey a feeling of horror to the reader about the colossal struggle for the city.

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - G√ľnther Rall

http://www.invoman.com/images/tali_with_hands.jpg

Look Noobie, we already told you, we don't have the Patch!

Redeleven
06-10-2004, 02:56 PM
For anyone in the UK...I bought the book a fortnight ago from THE WORKS discount bookstore for ‚£3.99 (different cover) and also one about Kursk by Robin Cross. (Must have stock in for D-Day tie-in)

----- ----- ----- -----
Hit like a heart attack
----- ----- ----- -----

jensenpark
06-10-2004, 05:04 PM
thanks for the info...

I've seen the book but always shied away due to a perceived tie-in to the movie...which I thought a corny version of the corny War of the Rats book.

Will pick it up next time I see it...

http://www.corsair-web.com/thistler/rtfoxint.jpg
Buzz Beurling flying his last sortie over Malta, Oct.24, 1942