PDA

View Full Version : Who would you pick to compose ACV

DisbandedBox359
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Just thought I'd see who everyone fancied to compose ACV considering we've had some great OST's in the past.

More interested in seeing what new composer's could be brought into the series but feel free to rehash Jesper Kyd if you want :P

itsamea-mario
01-24-2014, 04:16 PM
lil wayne

marcbryan
01-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Jeremy Zuckerman, Brian Tyler, Lorne Balfe (particularly for the darker elements of the games)

Skrillex.

DinoSteve1
01-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Hans Zimmer

DisbandedBox359
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Hans Zimmer

I'd be happy enough with that haha

DisbandedBox359
01-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't mind Michael McCann his work on DE:HR was brilliant

Aphex_Tim
01-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Olivier Deriviere.
He already did the Freedom Cry soundtrack and after having just played Remember Me, for which he also composed the music, I'm convinced he could make excellent soundtrack for a full AC game.

IWGCJoeCool
01-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Mike Oldfield should get a shot at an AC game, or any AAA game for that matter.

LoyalACFan
01-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Olivier Deriviere.
He already did the Freedom Cry soundtrack and after having just played Remember Me, for which he also composed the music, I'm convinced he could make excellent soundtrack for a full AC game.

Agree with this, but honestly I would love to see Kyd, Balfe, or Tyler again too. I've been impressed by every OST thus far.

DinoSteve1
01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
I'd be happy enough with that haha

lol, like they could afford him.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Jesper Kyd!!!! Why? Because I think that is input and score was almost iconic and a trademark for that series. I think his input is missing for the late installments.

I have nothing against the other composers:

Lorne Balfe did a great main title score, and the rest is very nice (If you get the CD it is a very good score actually, and he left more stuff on his website as well) Alas, the presence of his score was not in the game (almost not at all)

Brian Tyler his composition is great, but i did not feel that it was belonging there, I don't know it was too modern to me - I really like his stuff for Far Cry 3 (FC3 Main title is a must), but i did not feel the same for AC4, (Besides most of the cool pieces had been removed from the CD score since they were considered as Ambient - Kingston Ambient was the best piece in my opinion) - Honestly that is actually my least favorite score of the series because i did not connect with the score while playing (except for the piece Kingston Ambient).

Winifred Phillips that is funny that they picked a female for the score of Liberation (Ironical isn't?)- Cool stuff but no really any memorable piece there. The score is just generic for the ambiance that is my feeling.

DisbandedBox359
01-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Jesper Kyd!!!! Why? Because I think that is input and score was almost iconic and a trademark for that series. I think his input is missing for the late installement.

I have nothing against the other composers

Lorne Balfe did a great main title score, and the rest is very nice (If you get the CD it is a very good score actually, and he left more stuff on his website as well) Alas, the presence of his score was not in the game (almost not at all)

Brian Tyler is composition is great, but i did not feel that it was belonging there, I don't know it was too modern to me - I really like his stuff for Far Cry 3 (FC3 Main title is a must), but i did not feel the same for AC4, (Besides most of the cool pieces had been removed from the CD score since they were considered as Ambient - Kingston Ambient was the best piece in my opinion) - Honestly that is actually my least favorite score of the series.

Winifred Phillips that is funny that they picked a female for the score of Liberation (Ironical isn't?)- Cool stuff but not really any memorable piece there.

Still can't believe there was so much stuff from the last two games that never made the CD, especially AC3

FreeKnowledge
01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm just go with,John Williams!

ze_topazio
01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Nobuo Uematsu

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Jesper Kyd and if they can't get him, bring back Brian Tyler. I don't care for Hans Zimmer-style bombastic Hollywood scores in games, AC is characterized by atmospheric, slightly digital sounds.

Rugterwyper32
01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Motoi Sakuraba. The Souls games have great music, and if the little music in the Souls series isn't convincing enough listen to the Golden Sun series soundtrack and imagine that in higher quality than what the GBA soundchip could handle.

Ok, so maybe he wouldn't fit that well considering the lack of battles against massive, intimidating bosses. But it'd still be great.

Others I wouldn't mind seeing giving it a shot are Jeremy Soule (even though his battle music hasn't ever been the most intense), Steve Henifin, Grant Kirkhope, Yuzo Koshiro (because every soundtrack he composes is equally amazing), Daniel Licht or Mark Morgan.

Shahkulu101
01-24-2014, 07:56 PM
I want Jesper Kyd to return. I absolutely adore the music in the Ezio trilogy and I want to see his unique spin on more than two historical periods. Imagine Kyd did China. :|

BATISTABUS
01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Not Winifred Phillips. I didn't love ACL's soundtrack...I can't believe some people were saying it was better than AC3's when it came out...

I don't care who we get. I'd be happy with Tyler, Balfe, Kyd, or someone completely new. AC has never disappointed me musically for the full games. It might be cool to see an Eastern composer's take on the series, but as for a specific preference, I have none.

AC2_alex
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
Jesper Kyd...... uh DUH!

Aphex_Tim
01-24-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't care for Hans Zimmer-style bombastic Hollywood scores in games, AC is characterized by atmospheric, slightly digital sounds.

Couldn't agree more. Also the reason why I wouldn't want Lorne Balfe to return. Though his soundtrack wasn't as bombastic as, say, Hans Zimmer's stuff, it still came a bit too close in my opinion.

However that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like orchestral stuff. It just depends on how it's presented. That's why I also mentioned Olivier Deriviere earlier in this thread. His work on Freedom Cry is pretty much fully orchestral but it does fit the mood quite well. And I was even more convinced when playing Remember Me, for which he made some very Deus Ex-ish electronic stuff. I think that could be combined very well for an AC game!

ACfan443
01-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Jesper Kyd. The quality of music in AC games has always been top notch, but something about Kyd's alluring scores in particular makes me frequently boot up the older games just to experience that divine music once more. His unique style is something I sorely miss since his departure from the franchise after ACR. I wish they'd bring him back.

Aphex_Tim
01-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Kyd's soundtrack is still by far my favorite in the entire franchise, especially the AC2 stuff. It truly seems to have something magical about it. However, I wouldn't want him back for future AC releases. Simply because that makes the games that he did score that much more special. His music really fit the Italian Renaissance time period and that's what he would always be associated with, even if he did score future AC games. I'm kinda thinking: New time period, new composer. It makes the shift in the style of the game that much more prominent as well.

I hope this text makes sense cause I'm always having the hardest time finding the right words for explaining what I mean... :p

poptartz20
01-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Honestly I can't sit here and say that I've hated music from an AC game yet to date. So I really don't have a favorite. So as long as either Kyd, Balfe, or whoever did AC4's music returns I think would be happy. Each one had proved that they understand how music in AC works. I don't see why people complain about it so much.

still the ToKW soundtrack from the village... still gives feels to this day! :|

PandaPuff86
01-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Coldplay or that guy from Nine Inch Nails. :p

Rugterwyper32
01-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Kyd's soundtrack is still by far my favorite in the entire franchise, especially the AC2 stuff. It truly seems to have something magical about it. However, I wouldn't want him back for future AC releases. Simply because that makes the games that he did score that much more special. His music really fit the Italian Renaissance time period and that's what he would always be associated with, even if he did score future AC games. I'm kinda thinking: New time period, new composer. It makes the shift in the style of the game that much more prominent as well.

I hope this text makes sense cause I'm always having the hardest time finding the right words for explaining what I mean... :p

Yeah, this is something I can agree with. I love Kyd's style. He's a great composer. But I also like the idea of changing things around for the time periods, and keep variety going. Look, for instance, at the Castlevania series. It's gone through a lot of composers, some more used than the others (Michiru Yamane being the most recognizable these days) but every game has kept the soundtrack fresh, with a few key themes returning with a twist to them from time to time (Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears, namely). And it's a wonderful thing.

I-Like-Pie45
01-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis

Pandassin
01-25-2014, 01:11 AM
Brian Tyler.

In my opinion, the AC4 Soundtrack was the best soundtrack I've ever heard (not just the best AC soundtrack). It was sooooo good.

ACfan443
01-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Kyd's soundtrack is still by far my favorite in the entire franchise, especially the AC2 stuff. It truly seems to have something magical about it. However, I wouldn't want him back for future AC releases. Simply because that makes the games that he did score that much more special. His music really fit the Italian Renaissance time period and that's what he would always be associated with, even if he did score future AC games. I'm kinda thinking: New time period, new composer. It makes the shift in the style of the game that much more prominent as well

AC1 and AC2 which were set in completely different time periods had two very different sounds, you wouldn't think they were scored by the same composer. Kyd's fantastic at adapting his music style to suit a particular time period, and I can only imagine him showing the same variation and evolution as he did with the transition from AC1 to AC2 if he were to be tasked with scoring a new AC game. Always open to new composers though.

MasterAssasin84
01-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Bring Back Jesper Kyd or Lorne Balf

Consus_E
01-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Either Brian Tyler or Jesper Kyd...

PedroAntonio2
01-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Jesper Kyd and Lorne Balfe working together the same way they worked in Revelations. Brian Tyler is good, the soundtrack of ACIV fit with the time period, but it wasn't memorable as previous ACs soundtrack.

PedroAntonio2
01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Hans Zimmer or John Willians composing an AC soundtrack, it would be my dream.

LieutenantRex
01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Lorne Balfe{Through the Frontier was a masterpiece} or Jes Kyd {Earth... nuff said}.

ze_topazio
01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Harry Gregson-Williams could work too.

TheAngryZone_
01-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Avicii?
But seriously, Jesper Kyd, please.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
If ACV was set in China -- Jeremy Zuckerman.

PedroAntonio2
01-25-2014, 04:43 PM
If the game takes place in Europe, China or Japan again...Jesper Kyd would be great. If the game takes place in America again or any other tropycal places...Lorne Balfe or Brian Tyler.

D.I.D.
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Wouldn't mind Michael McCann his work on DE:HR was brilliant

It's nice, but it's highly derivative of Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell 2005 soundtrack. Without Chaos Theory, DXHR would sound nothing like that.

Hans684
01-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Miracle Of Sound

bitebug2003
01-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Obviously Jesper Kyd is my preferred composer.

Few others did spring to mind.

Sam Hulick. Jack Wall, Christopher Lennertz, Sascha Dikiciyan and Cris Velasco - All these composers worked on the Mass Effect franchise which had some really nice music IMO

Gustavo Santaolalla most recent work was The Last Of Us (he composed for a lot of movies too)

Toa TAK
01-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Kyd of course.

But since it's unlikely, bring back Olivier Deriviere.

Other than that, Zimmer. I don't really want Balfe or Tyler to come back. They did a great job in their respective games, but it wasn't anywhere near the magic of Kyd's sound (which is definitive for the series, I believe).

Deriviere did a great job with Freedom Cry and I'd be happy to see him back.

Phillips did good work on Liberation, so I'd be cool to see her back, too. I just wish the actual game didn't tone down her music so much.
(https://soundcloud.com/olivier-deriviere)

E-Zekiel
01-26-2014, 02:52 AM
Hanz Zimmer or Jesper Kyd again.

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 03:04 AM
Olivier Deriviere's score for Freedom Cry felt like the most out-of-place music for AC in any game. It wasn't bad per se, just not fitting for the game. The African chants/plantation songs were cool and added a lot to the atmosphere, but the music while you were sailing or fighting was way too grand. It was distracting.

Shahkulu101
01-26-2014, 04:47 AM
The TLoU composer as mentioned by bitebug. The soundtrack for that game stirs so many emotions, and yet it's so quiet, so sombre. I'd love to see him work on anything, I reckon he'd craft all sorts of masterpieces for the much loved ambient music.

LoyalACFan
01-26-2014, 06:47 AM
The TLoU composer as mentioned by bitebug. The soundtrack for that game stirs so many emotions, and yet it's so quiet, so sombre. I'd love to see him work on anything, I reckon he'd craft all sorts of masterpieces for the much loved ambient music.

Speaking of that guy, does anybody know of anything else he worked on? I loved his TLOU stuff, but I couldn't recommend him for AC based on that. It was really minimal, yet extremely haunting, particularly "Home"... perfect for a post-apocalypse game, maybe not so good for AC.

MeMckee
01-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Either Kyd or if they want a new sound, Danny Elfman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000384/).

Shahkulu101
01-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Speaking of that guy, does anybody know of anything else he worked on? I loved his TLOU stuff, but I couldn't recommend him for AC based on that. It was really minimal, yet extremely haunting, particularly "Home"... perfect for a post-apocalypse game, maybe not so good for AC.

The guy's won Oscars. He'd cope.

roostersrule2
01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Nicki Minaj or Jesper Kyd.

Shahkulu101
01-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Nicki Minaj or Jesper Kyd.

Eminem & Dr Dre.

roostersrule2
01-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Eminem & Dr Dre.Dr Pepper and Salt.

Megas_Doux
01-26-2014, 08:24 PM
One of my favorite soundtracks ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVCcyMqfTs

TR Underworld´s score is solid! A very good combo between background tracks and cinematic ones.

PedroAntonio2
01-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Dr Pepper and Salt.

Justin Bieber or One Direction.

PedroAntonio2
01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Just use the guy who composed Parting Glass and we are done with it.

I'm playing ACII again and man, Jesper Kyd should return to this franchise. The background songs in Florence and Venezia are so epic...

SixKeys
01-26-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm playing ACII again and man, Jesper Kyd should return to this franchise. The background songs in Florence and Venezia are so epic...

"Parting Glass" is a traditional Irish song, hundreds of years old.

LoyalACFan
01-26-2014, 10:44 PM

Except he probably looks like this now

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111202195244/assassinscreed/images/c/c6/Homecoming_5.png