PDA

View Full Version : Female protagonist would undermine concept of "Genetic Memory"

Bozosaurus76
01-24-2014, 05:43 AM
I just wanted to start off by saying that my explanation is scientifically grounded and is not sexist in any which way.

If we to are assume that the Animus will continue to serve as the framing device that connects all of the Assassin's Creed installments together, being able to view a female ancestor's memories is genetically impossible. DNA is passed from organism to progeny only one way: through the gametes (eggs and sperm). As opposed to males who regenerate sperm every three or so days, females create all of their eggs upon birth. The problem lies in the fact that genetic memories are somehow embedded into our DNA after experiences that occur well into an individuals lifespan. A woman would not be able to transfer her acquired memories since her eggs already contain "uncopied" DNA. It isn't as if you could imprint a memory on DNA and add that to an existing egg because it would cause genetic defects (too much DNA ex: trisomy 21). However, any egg that is used for fertilization will absolutely contain DNA from her male ancestors' experiences.

The concept that the developers of AC have created that you can't view an ancestor's memories after they have conceived a child makes perfect sense when viewed from a biological viewpoint. Any sperm used to impregnate a woman is at most 3 days old, so an ancestor's memories will most definitely be imprinted on the gamete (except memories experienced from the creation of gamete until conception/fertilization, minor plot hole when you can see Altair knock up Maria in AC2 via Desmond bleeding effect).

If the developers decided to scrap the framing device of the animus altogether and allowed us to play as an assassin without the present day tie-in OR allowed us to view an ancestor's memories via recording disks like Altair's in AC:R, then this minor plot point wouldn't be an issue.

Thoughts? any flaws in my thinking?

HiddenKiller612
01-24-2014, 05:47 AM
inb4 "YOU A SEXIST PIG".

AlmightySteveO
01-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Guess you've never heard the term "ovulation"?

Also.. Aveline.. you're a bit late with this thread my friend. They've already introduced memories inherited from a female assassin.

FreeKnowledge
01-24-2014, 06:11 AM
Looooool

Bozosaurus76
01-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Taken straight from Wikipedia: "Ovulation is the phase of a female's menstrual cycle in which a partially mature ovum that has yet to complete Meiosis II is released from the ovarian follicles into the oviduct" I'm assuming that you're implying that ovulation involves the creation of new eggs, but in fact it does not. Merely the completion of cell division of an ALREADY EXISTING egg. The dogma requiring this subject is that women create all of their eggs at birth, HOWEVER some scientists have conducted studies/experiments that are pushing back upon this accepted theory.

And yes, I am aware of AC:L however have no played it. Is there a modern day tie in? Is the Animus present or we just playing as an assassin (I truly do not know). Even if the Animus is involved with Aveline, the points I stated in the OP are no less valid/untrue. I'm not trying to bring down the AC franchise with a huge, gaping plothole. I'm just pointing out an observation that was made and how real life biology ties in with AC.

PS nice try at making me look bad/uneducated, however it seems you need to brush up on your elementary biology/meiosis. Btw, a little humility/graciousness goes a long way (I know it's difficult via an internet forum).

BATISTABUS
01-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Blood vials?

AlmightySteveO
01-24-2014, 07:21 AM
Btw, a little humility/graciousness goes a long way (I know it's difficult via an internet forum).

It's virtually impossible via an internet forum because attitude is determined by the reader.

Also blood vials do make sense.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Jesus help Us!

Landruner
01-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Taken straight from Wikipedia: "Ovulation is the phase of a female's menstrual cycle in which a partially mature ovum that has yet to complete Meiosis II is released from the ovarian follicles into the oviduct" I'm assuming that you're implying that ovulation involves the creation of new eggs, but in fact it does not. Merely the completion of cell division of an ALREADY EXISTING egg. The dogma requiring this subject is that women create all of their eggs at birth, HOWEVER some scientists have conducted studies/experiments that are pushing back upon this accepted theory.

And yes, I am aware of AC:L however have no played it. Is there a modern day tie in? Is the Animus present or we just playing as an assassin (I truly do not know). Even if the Animus is involved with Aveline, the points I stated in the OP are no less valid/untrue. I'm not trying to bring down the AC franchise with a huge, gaping plothole. I'm just pointing out an observation that was made and how real life biology ties in with AC.
##LR// LOL!!!!

PS nice try at making me look bad/uneducated, however it seems you need to brush up on your elementary biology/meiosis. Btw, a little humility/graciousness goes a long way (I know it's difficult via an internet forum).
##LR// LOL!!!!

Okay, in my book, you just are a big fat misogynistic turd that tries to hide by some disguised thread full of clumsy evidences the fact that you do not want any girl involved in any AC entry of this series for the following reasons:

(1) You entry biology is based upon your own pseudoscience (theoretically advanced, but completely pulled by your own evidences and conclusion)
In criminology DNA is valid for woman as well, and what you expose above is just pulled by the hair,

(2) if someday some Ubisoft Animus did indeed exist, it would be perfectly possible that any female could go back to the memory of her ancestor.
But Animus does not exist (yet), and it is not even technically and scientifically plausible (yet) so where are the Ubisoft's plot holes you mention above and that i am so LOL about?
In short; it does not make any sense to even get that deep into science especially for a game that is a pure fiction (so far).

(3) Besides Ubisoft does not need to attach some character (main or secondary) to animus - They may change or bring some scenarist variants in their Animus/ Ancestor formula.
You could have in a future an Assassin (Male or Female) that is not directly attached directly to his ancestor but attached to another ancestor, and/or not attached to any ancestor at all, who knows? they may bring some scenarist twist too, why always do always the same scenario over and over.

(4) Of course that some points you included (above) are tangible if the reference was a pure biological scientific entry,
but honestly....this is an Assassin Creed game that you attach some scientific point to - you know a video game that introduces some Assassin people with some super power such an eagle vision,people that can leap of faith from hundred of meter by falling into a pile of hay bellow, people that can over kill 200 foes by unstoppable killing streak...etc. In short: It is that dramatically to be asking for ultra realistic with scientific evidences for a piece of fantasy? - I mean do people need a PHD in biology for enjoying their game now?

Come on cut the crap, and be honest, I prefer having to deal with a good phallocrat troll than one who tries to hide his maleness by "B.S.! - Bull Science"

ghostferret
01-24-2014, 12:08 PM
The OP's facts are correct. The DNA in eggs is fixed at birth, because the cell divisions that produce eggs are almost, but not quite, over. The cell divisions that produce sperm happen in adult males. But for either sperm or egg to encode memories of a parent would require some biochemical mechanism for stuff going on in the brain to alter the DNA in cells at a very different location. Unless it's true that men don't think with their brain but with something else, DNA memory is impossible.

AC is sci-fi. You don't have to have a PhD in biology to enjoy it. I just happen to, and it's in genetics. It didn't spoil my love of AC2 to know that the sperm Altair used to impregnate Maria had to be a least a few days old, and so Desmond could never have had that bleeding effect memory of Altair climbing the tower in Acre.

Mr_Shade
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
Personal Opinion time..

End of the day, should they want a game featuring a Female Protagonist - I'm sure they would just do it - and make up the science around it - as they did originally ;)

This subject has been discussed before - I suggest you have a look and read the threads - and then consider your facts and re-write the thread, without the veiled insults..