PDA

View Full Version : canoes omitted from AC III......?

Freedom3031
01-23-2014, 03:07 AM
ok.......been playing AC Liberation hd and using the canoe. Saw this screenshot http://blurppy.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/1aabaciii_frontier_canoe_screenshot.jpg

led to conclusion that canoe was omitted from AC III? Were they there then removed?

IWGCJoeCool
01-23-2014, 03:15 AM
i think you'll find most of the early game trailers and/or prerelease artwork is taken from early ideas, cuz that stuff takes time to put together too. there is always little things that dont show up in finished games.

Freedom3031
01-23-2014, 03:19 AM
i think you'll find most of the early game trailers and/or prerelease artwork is taken from early ideas, cuz that stuff takes time to put together too. there is always little things that dont show up in finished games.

guess I was just surprised.........plus got to thinking that a canoe made sense for the whole native American deal. Not that aveline , wouldn't or shouldn't in the bayou, but probably fit Connor and frontier areas better.

SixKeys
01-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Yep. Also note the swimming beavers.

LoyalACFan
01-23-2014, 05:46 AM
I miss the frozen lakes most of all :( But it does beg the question, what freaking lakes were they talking about? There aren't any lakes in the Frontier, just creeks and a few little pond things. Well, and the big bodies of water that serve as the boundaries of the world, but those wouldn't be explorable spaces anyway.

SixKeys
01-23-2014, 05:51 AM
I miss the frozen lakes most of all :( But it does beg the question, what freaking lakes were they talking about? There aren't any lakes in the Frontier, just creeks and a few little pond things. Well, and the big bodies of water that serve as the boundaries of the world, but those wouldn't be explorable spaces anyway.

There are a few big lakes that spring to mind. What I always wondered was how exactly frozen lakes were going to significantly affect gameplay. Yay, you can cross the lake now! Because...you couldn't, y'know....just swim across it before.

LoyalACFan
01-23-2014, 06:04 AM
There are a few big lakes that spring to mind. What I always wondered was how exactly frozen lakes were going to significantly affect gameplay. Yay, you can cross the lake now! Because...you couldn't, y'know....just swim across it before.

The way they spun it was that you could only access certain areas when the lake was frozen (i.e. if there was a cliff on the other side and you could only jump high enough to climb it from a standing start rather than a swimming start). Long story short, it was a promise that winter was actually going to matter, and significantly affect how you played. When instead, it was basically just an annoyance that you couldn't run at full speed in the snow.

Landruner
01-23-2014, 06:37 AM
ok.......been playing AC Liberation hd and using the canoe. Saw this screenshot http://blurppy.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/1aabaciii_frontier_canoe_screenshot.jpg

led to conclusion that canoe was omitted from AC III? Were they there then removed?

Canoes had been dropped during the development of AC3 - The reason given by Devs (old AC3's crew) was mostly because the map of frontier was making them redundant and useless. Note that about 20% of AC3 went down the drain during the development of the game including a sequence with the big fire in NY and some other cool sequence as well.

ze_topazio
01-23-2014, 01:08 PM
The canoes are not particularly fun to control in Liberation, nothing of value was lost.

DinoSteve1
01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Was there a place in AC3 were you would actually need a canoe?

LUR21
01-23-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm actually really enjoying them in liberations. Still wondering why they didn't put useable rowing boats in black flag. I think that would have been great.

Landruner
01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Frontier was supposed to be much bigger at first (twice much bigger), and all the places were connected in one level design at least Davenport and Frontier and another one (Leaving the cities apart in the load or included in a huge sandbox map) -

Reference to the game Saboteur that includes Paris, Normandy, Champagne, and the Western part of Germany on the same sandbox world map.

They dropped that concept early on because " They did not want to a Disneyland (mini world) like" ... Like the game The Saboteur.

My guess is that they dropped the canoes from Ac3 From this decision of reducing the Frontier Level and making the piece of water lac and rivers smaller the canoes were useless or redundant.

Freedom3031
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
just saw screenshot and thought it made more sense to have in frontier and maybe in cities. Guess was easier to keep in Liberation with bayou. I get that you can just swim wherever , so not a loss to game quality. I guess it tied in to native American culture better ,that's all.

LoyalACFan
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Frontier was supposed to be much bigger at first (twice much bigger), and all the places were connected in one level design at least Davenport and Frontier and another one (Leaving the cities apart in the load or included in a huge sandbox map) -

Reference to the game Saboteur that includes Paris, Normandy, Champagne, and the Western part of Germany on the same sandbox world map.

They dropped that concept early on because " They did not want to a Disneyland (mini world) like" ... Like the game The Saboteur.

My guess is that they dropped the canoes from Ac3 From this decision of reducing the Frontier Level and making the piece of water lac and rivers smaller the canoes were useless or redundant.

Yeah, but by the time the game was announced and that screenshot was released, they surely would have had a final map already. I seem to recall Hutchinson saying pretty early in 2012 that they decided not to make one huge map since it would feel like Disneyland.

itsamea-mario
01-23-2014, 06:14 PM
It's because ubisoft are [edit] and cut up AC3 like a mad butcher.

Freedom3031
01-23-2014, 06:50 PM

that really made me laugh............!!!!!

DisbandedBox359
01-24-2014, 02:57 AM
Is it just me or did the ones in Liberation seem kind of hard to control?

Landruner
01-24-2014, 03:20 AM
Yeah, but by the time the game was announced and that screenshot was released, they surely would have had a final map already. I seem to recall Hutchinson saying pretty early in 2012 that they decided not to make one huge map since it would feel like Disneyland.

Ah! you saw it too, that is cool because i could not find the article before writing my post... It is exactly what Hutchinson said "Disneyland" ! You know they apparently had really good stuff for AC3 , they dropped and changed so many stuff that honestly I wish that game could get a re-edition with a second chance to make it right. I don't know where Alex Hutchinson went since AC3 (?) I am not even sure that Corey May will work with Ubisoft anymore? I just hope that this game did not sink their careers into the forgotten Wreck of the lost Sargasso ' sea of the video game industry (?)

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 03:55 AM
I don't know about Hutchinson, but Corey May still works at Ubisoft. Just not on AC anymore.

Shahkulu101
01-24-2014, 04:01 AM
I saw that Hutchinson put on Facebook he was flying to Montreal for work then Access the Animus, a fan facebook page, posted it on their own facebook.

That's right people, prepare thy pitchforks!

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 04:11 AM
I saw that Hutchinson put on Facebook he was flying to Montreal for work then Access the Animus, a fan facebook page, posted it on their own facebook.

That's right people, prepare thy pitchforks!

AC6 confirmed.

Shahkulu101
01-24-2014, 04:35 AM
AC6 confirmed.

It's weird that, when you hear a dev may be working on an game, it's actually logical to assume he's working on the sequel to a sequel that will be released beforehand.

pacmanate
01-24-2014, 04:37 AM
It's weird that, when you hear a dev may be working on an game, it's actually logical to assume he's working on the sequel to a sequel that will be released beforehand.

Go to bed, child.

HiddenKiller612
01-24-2014, 06:12 AM
They aren't exactly revolutionary. They are quite annoying to control in Liberation HD.

EchoFiveKilo
01-24-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't know about Hutchinson, but Corey May still works at Ubisoft. Just not on AC anymore.

What happened to the AC3 development team? Please dont tell me they all lost their jobs because of some fan outcry.

Locopells
01-24-2014, 11:13 AM
They aren't exactly revolutionary. They are quite annoying to control in Liberation HD.

Nothing a little practise doesn't fix - you just need to under steer most of the time.

Mr_Shade
01-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I take it the new year made you forget the lessons learnt in 2013, about being civil and not using offensive language..

Same goes for others - lets not be confrontational and watch what we say...

MadJC1986
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Yep. Also note the swimming beavers.

There actually were swimming beavers in AC3.

Cornik22
01-24-2014, 01:47 PM
From Kotaku, November 2012:

"A guy who e-mailed me and said he saw Assassin's Creed III in action several months ago, but who I couldn't confirm was legit: (I'm paraphrasing what he told me.) The game is in America, during the Revolutionary War, starring a half-American/half-Native American assassin who meets George Washington and builds up a homebase farm of some sort. He mentioned a mission involving tracking redcoats on a frozen lake (the ice could be weakened so they fell through) and a level involving three-mast ships in grand combat. [Note from Stephen: Would be cool if it was true, no?]"

Ureh
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
They would need to include fishing spots too.

ConanTheLeader
01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
It's a shame because with more polish, this game would get a lot more praise. It has a reputation for being a buggy game and as a result, this turned off some gamers from the experience. So now Ubisoft say they will unlikely have another Connor game because fans didn't seem to like him, but I think they would had his whole experience of been better! =(

Overall I very much love the game, character and setting, I'm in the pause menu right now as I started my third playthrough yesterday. I'm glad we got Liberation HD at least for more of this setting.

Landruner
01-24-2014, 06:22 PM

Yes, You are right, Corey is still at Ubisoft...Forgot about it, silly me!

Hans684
01-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Incorrect, Corey is AC overlord now. He oversee everything about the series and is part of something called Alice at Ubisoft.

SixKeys
01-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Incorrect, Corey is AC overlord now. He oversee everything about the series and is part of something called Alice at Ubisoft.

Corey used to oversee everything about AC. He gave that task over to Darby when he started working at Alice.