PDA

View Full Version : The end of Might and Magic Heroes Kingdoms

D4ene
01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Server shutdown, end of August 2014

Hello everyone,

We’re very sad to announce today that the Might and Magic Heroes Kingdoms servers will be permanently closing at the end of August 2014. After five years of growth, interaction, and fun, the game is shutting down.
Whether you’ve been with us since the beginning or have only recently arrived, we understand you must be disappointed by the news. We assure you we’ll do everything possible to make the next few months go as smoothly as possible.
To ensure this, here are the first arrangements that have been made:
- Subscription is now free for everyone
- The store will remain open until the end of August, and you’ll still be able to purchase Seals until then
- Support will be maintained until the servers are shut down
- World openings will continue as normal
- A survey will be launched soon to see if you have any requests for special worlds
We’d like to thank you all for being there and supporting us throughout this half-decade. You’re an extremely active and committed community, and it has been a pleasure to be with you for all these years.

The MMHK team

Kutalbatur
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I am pretty new at MMHK;but not to Heroes series from past times.

I am sad to hear the news.

I wish the best of all to development team and to HOMM fans.

Hope to meet you all at another HOMM theme game.

filipd81
01-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Don't worry we knew this was going to happen :)

I'm a bit sorry but it was inevitable, the servers have been deserted for months. Thought there were few people buying considerable amounts of seals the overall number of active subscribed players was really low.

It is very kind to make subscription free for everyone. Now I just wonder if the MMHK could have been saved if you have done this before since the money coming from seals seemed to be much higher than the money coming from subscriptions (at least I guess it was). Maybe more players would have joined and thus the number of buying seals players would have increased too.

Is there any chance that the new servers could be targeted S5 although there will be no significant changes? Or alternatively remove the season constraint for the legacy? This will allow all players who started in S3 to try the legacy from S4 worlds. Because S3 players had at most 210 LP while there are S1 players who have around 1400 LP.

BradJSmith
01-22-2014, 01:14 PM
It's all about the money.

I just renewed my subscription. Are you going to refund that since you are giving it to everyone?

zamz
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Yes it's sad, since this was the only this type of game I've enjoyed, even thought I never got to play a proper world without seals :(

Agree with filipd81 about the new world, but it would be even better if everyone would have same legacy points (decent number like 600) now that sub is free also so it would be same for everyone. Even better if you launched EUROPEAN worlds (+ other continents ofcourse), because there isn't a big window to launch worlds anymore so they would end in time and would be FULL. Now that you already made the subscription free, could we finally get a seal free world also. Play it one more time properly with many alliances and everyone who already quit, would come back for one more challenge :)

Paul_Rotterdam
01-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Sadly this game is dieing away.
Still i play in German server with 1300 accounts PvE
Yippie first time i subscribed now and can make more towns and buy all heros....but still sad to know the reason why i can do that.
Forum was quiet, last post was Halloween, 3 month ago, so the closure was expected.

Thanks all for playing this wonderfull game with and against me and all the best for these lasts months to play.

greets
Kemo

sbforest
01-23-2014, 10:19 AM
"We’re very sad to announce today that the Might and Magic Heroes Kingdoms servers will be permanently closing at the end of August 2014." - we're very sad ? This game is not alive but vegetate like a zombie from the moment that was introduced the store. Too bad because before "the store" this game was best online game platform that i've ever found. Conclusion is - greed kills.

BoromiRofGeo
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM
in beta this game was brilliant, once it came out though....suffice to say i ditched it.

MartyAmodeo
01-24-2014, 01:32 AM
Maybe it makes sense to just extend the length of the current PVE servers rather than have them end normally, have a new one start up, and then the new one gets closed down in August when it is only halfway done. Kind of an anti-climactic end.

TOPMO3ABP
01-24-2014, 05:44 AM
For me this game already ended (as I've deleted from the remaining worlds except only one, gave co-managing to one of my friends, that still want to finish that world) and I kind of happy about that, yes friends are good, but the real life is so much important (and not to use more of my money for this virtual bugging thing as it still in the beta state). And the most important question? What the point to play till the August? I don't want to waste my time to use all my stuff that I've bought in the game shop (20k of seals), as closing of this game do the same - it will send everything to the void...

Toni_G
01-27-2014, 10:16 PM
I saw that coming. It was just a matter of time until this decision came out to light. Coincidence (or maybe not) MMHK is closing as well as FIFA Manager series is coming to an end with FIFAM 14 and both of them share the same reason: the developers didn't listen to the players to improve the game but stick it to the greeding part of the "developing" idea. Anyway, see you all on Heroes Online, then!

Cheers to everyone I've shared an alliance or a server on this wonderful game!

ToniG

Thorsson64
01-29-2014, 01:39 PM
I came back to see how things were going... Well, this is what all the original players have been predicting since S3 changes were first mooted. Since I stopped playing (again) I've read some interesting articles on the monetisation of games. Although there are different views on this (as is inevitable) what seems to be clear is that Ubi got this game badly wrong. The commonly accepted models on MMOs are:

1. Start with Subscriptions (possibly enhanced subs as well if you can) and then move on to free-to-play with paid for content ("freemium").
2. Go freemium from the start.

This has tried to do both, which was always going to lead to complaints. The first problem is that they either didn't work out how they were going to make money from the beginning - or they got it horribly wrong. The second, "If your free to play games isn't fun to play for free then you've messed up." And OFC the amount of buyables meant that the game wasn't fun to play for free.

The biggest shame is that the game at heart (S1/S2) was a very good game. It could have worked...

filipd81
01-29-2014, 09:13 PM
I came back to see how things were going... Well, this is what all the original players have been predicting since S3 changes were first mooted. Since I stopped playing (again) I've read some interesting articles on the monetisation of games. Although there are different views on this (as is inevitable) what seems to be clear is that Ubi got this game badly wrong. The commonly accepted models on MMOs are:

1. Start with Subscriptions (possibly enhanced subs as well if you can) and then move on to free-to-play with paid for content ("freemium").
2. Go freemium from the start.

This has tried to do both, which was always going to lead to complaints. The first problem is that they either didn't work out how they were going to make money from the beginning - or they got it horribly wrong. The second, "If your free to play games isn't fun to play for free then you've messed up." And OFC the amount of buyables meant that the game wasn't fun to play for free.

The biggest shame is that the game at heart (S1/S2) was a very good game. It could have worked...

I think you are terribily right. I have not read any articles on the matter but somehow I felt that the model adopted was wrong. That's why I wrote:

It is very kind to make subscription free for everyone. Now I just wonder if the MMHK could have been saved if you have done this before ...
Obviously subscription and paid content target different kind of players, incompatible types in my opinion. It couldn't work the way it was done. I guess that now UBI knows it but the player base has been totally lost. Too bad.

Hey, UBI, what about that survey? A week has passed.

AndreanDW
01-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Let's meet us on a last full PvP-world: German 'Die Phantompest 4' that started some hours ago !

Conrea
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
I am really sorry the game is ending. I am playing it from season 1.
However, the seal system has determined many players to quit, good players, mostly subscribers.
Since the survey is delaying, maybe a season 3 pvp would be a good idea to be opened for a good ending. Many players don't like pvp season 4 rules, myself included.
If nothing can be done to save the game, then at least to give us a chance to remember it for its glorious times past.

zamz
02-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Well S3 points based victory was stupid, it's better that most grails when game dies wins. If tied, the alliance that built the last grail 1st wins...

filipd81
02-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Well S3 points based victory was stupid, it's better that most grails when game dies wins. If tied, the alliance that built the last grail 1st wins...

I like the S4 system. But the 70% castle defense bonus is too big. I've seen only one really good attack that succeeded to destroy a grail. The rest failed or they only succeeded when there was a very big gap between attacker and defender.

SneGabby
02-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I like the S4 system. But the 70% castle defense bonus is too big. I've seen only one really good attack that succeeded to destroy a grail. The rest failed or they only succeeded when there was a very big gap between attacker and defender.

S4 rules Sucks, its very boring and predictable I think.
Destroying Grails is all about getting to the Town it self. But you need a good strategy to destroy a Grail in the later part of the game. We managed though by sending only one army with massive Gold support from our members instead. As Ive seen, there will always be a few weaker Grailbuilders, and thats a Go!

My own fightings from last world I played, attacking and defending near the end of that World.
Too bad though that we were forced to fight against Yellow Heroes:mad: ! - An attempt was made between the alliances to ban Yellow skills, but unfortunately could not be a player in one alliance, stay away from the Yellow skills. Not fun to attack and win without creating losses :(. BUT, victory sweetness is THE BIGGER when you won over such anabolic heroes :cool:

First attempt attacking their Grail = Was sent home
https://imageshack.com/i/0whfyrp

Second attempt attacking their Grail = Won! --> On the way to attack the Town
https://imageshack.com/i/mvymltp

Attack on Town=Grail destroyed. The Defender didn't care to send troops I think
https://imageshack.com/i/ndzgqrp

One of the biggest fights defending our Grail at the End. Funny, I sent home the same player that sent me home earlier :)
https://imageshack.com/i/nhf5x5p

/Karl XII

filipd81
02-07-2014, 02:17 AM
S4 rules Sucks, its very boring and predictable I think.
Destroying Grails is all about getting to the Town it self. But you need a good strategy to destroy a Grail in the later part of the game. We managed though by sending only one army with massive Gold support from our members instead. As Ive seen, there will always be a few weaker Grailbuilders, and thats a Go!

Well, that's what I said. You attacked and won when there was a very weak grail holder. On my last world my alliance didn't have weak grail holders and that's the reason why we never lost a grail - the castle bonus was too big. Actually we had a couple of weak players who built the grail but we skillfully passed them during the first rounds of the game or when we had advantage in domination, for exmaple after an enemy grail attack failure. That's the best and most interesting part of the S4 rules. All players wiill build the grail so the alliance could not rely on a dozen of farmers who push 4-5 players with 3 grails each as it was with S1-3 rules. When there are weak players you must plan when is the best moment to pass them. I think S4 rules are better. The only problem is the extra castle defense bonus which forces the attacker to stay passive against stronger grail holders. Maybe also the length of the tournament is a bit exagerated, aproximately 340k points is smth like 24 rounds, if you don't count the points from destroyed grails.

Btw you really bothered to collect 3k catapults LOL. I found them cool the first time I played this game and then I had a similar amount of T8. Nowadays they've been close to useless since everyone knows about the barrage fire effect and you only kill some trash units as your own reports show :)

SneGabby
02-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Btw you really bothered to collect 3k catapults LOL. I found them cool the first time I played this game and then I had a similar amount of T8. Nowadays they've been close to useless since everyone knows about the barrage fire effect and you only kill some trash units as your own reports show :)

Of course! :). Its a well known tactic, but the greater number of them, the harder it is to evade casualties to main troops.
Tactical bombing + High barrage fire will make it hit double, as you know and can see (killed T5:s). Everybody knows this of course, but in the later part of the game you cant afford having useless troops in towns just as cannon fodder and it takes time to gather enough of them in time for the attack if you need to recruit.
The one attacked me when I destroyed the Grail used masses of SEALS, but he couldn't get enough cannon fodder in time.

/Karl XII

filipd81
02-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Of course! :). Its a well known tactic, but the greater number of them, the harder it is to evade casualties to main troops.
Tactical bombing + High barrage fire will make it hit double, as you know and can see (killed T5:s). Everybody knows this of course, but in the later part of the game you cant afford having useless troops in towns just as cannon fodder and it takes time to gather enough of them in time for the attack if you need to recruit.
The one attacked me when I destroyed the Grail used masses of SEALS, but he couldn't get enough cannon fodder in time.

/Karl XII

You are right. Having them is better than not having them. I just tried to say that they are very expensive and when playing haven or sylvan or even inferno it is hard to spare enough resources to buy them, without external help of course. But you already said that the whole alliance pushed you during your grail attack, which on my calculations was over 40M gold maintenance for more than a day. So I guess it was not a problem for you. Personally I always found it hard to find farmers to feed me except for the grail attacks.

Telwann
02-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Sad news indeed. Yet not quite surprising either.

This game could have been so much more if you (The developers), listened to the playerbase and fans.

Since the first Beta's, so many suggestions for improvements and development were ignored. Complaints, suggestions and questions went unanswered.
The community that had buildt itself up by the end of the first Beta's were more or less driven away from the game soon after the game went public - that really should have told you something were wrong. From there on the game took turns and directions nobody really asked for and complaints/suggestions mostly went unanswered and ignored. So, not really an unexpected end.

Anyways, I'd still like to take the oppertunity to thank you for an enjoyable time with this game (Mostly beta's I guess). I really did enjoy playing this back in the days.

To any old guys lurking around: Long live Deus Ex! :D

jordface
02-12-2014, 12:09 AM
This game was truly a remarkable show of community spirit to have survived so long. The list of issues I have with the way the game was developed/managed are just too vast to for me to want to relive. In spite of the overwhelming odds the community built something great with active and loyal alliances, epic rivalries between players, impossibly useful scripts, enhancements, tools, databases and general knowledge that was written out to newbies (like me) who were desperate to actually understand the game.

Don't get me wrong, the were plenty of haters, cheaters and multi's who tested us all (really, why were these NEVER tackled by Ubi!?) but overall, good effort those who stuck with it. Season 3 burnt me, maybe even off browser games altogether!

One last kick around and then goodbye MMHK. What a waste of an excellent concept.

Catface
(Millfield)

Sinnie
02-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Double posting this from the general discussion thread, because you never know, a developer may read this.

I haven't logged into here in almost a year I think.

It's sad to hear they're shutting this game down, as other people have mentioned, this game had such good potential. Though people point the finger to seals, legendary heroes/artifacts, S3. I'm afraid you're all wrong.

This game went downhill before season 1 even started. I played two tech beta's, the UK beta, season 1, parts of season 2 and a tiny bit of season 3. The UK beta was by far the best round of this game I ever played. Throughout the beta's we made countless threads which detailed many many changes that would have improved the game; alliance buildings were suggested by us in beta and were never implemented properly. It's such a shame.

Part of it was that the community developers were shifted around all the time, I think we had 4 or 5 (never at the same time) and this meant there was little rapport built, or when it was built, they then left. Then the forums were left to wither. As a sign of how badly they have been managed, I'm still a moderator even though I haven't played properly since season 2 - says a lot I think. I made a thread way back in the beta which collated all the player ideas and we got feedback on them twice (that's about 5 years ago now) and since then I never saw the development team respond directly to player ideas; many of which were very good and fairly essential to making the game better.

Then of course there are the seals and legendary heroes and so on, these just put the nails into the coffin - the lack of interaction with the small community isolated us, the ignoring of our ideas made us feel undervalued and then the implementation of terrible ideas just drove us away.

I really do miss this game, the beta's were so much fun and I was excited to get in on the ground floor of a new game that had potential. But there we go. Maybe I'm just feeling a little sorry for myself?

If the developers really are reading this, there is actually a way you could save this game tomorrow. Remove the city/hero limit on free to play, scale back the seals (or remove them) and remove all the overpowered/pay to win features. Make mega worlds again, big enough for 5k players again. E-mail everyone who ever played this game and tell them it's like the beta all over again (no limits on play). Then introduce a subscription with one purpose only - for cosmetic and helpful things - there was a thread we made ages ago with tons of non pay to win features you could easily charge for and people would pay it! League of Legends was the shining example of precisely how to do it, you were released at similar times and yet somehow you completely missed the mark.

Hello Telwann! And others. It was good to play with you all! Long live Deus Ex indeed. :)

Elder_TdM
02-15-2014, 03:16 AM
I was searching some info on the card game Duel of Champions, which is decent and has a promising future. And have seen this thread which obviously claimed my attention.

Anyways, I'd still like to take the oppertunity to thank you for an enjoyable time with this game (Mostly beta's I guess). I really did enjoy playing this back in the days.

To any old guys lurking around: Long live Deus Ex! :D

:'( Oh man, don't make me cry!

Sinnie, I also have +1 year that don't enter on the game fórum. Will enter this weekend to check it arund.

Elder, Deus Ex.

BTW you can be interested in TsuChi's Project, although not sure which will be it's future: https://www.facebook.com/DominionsGenesis

In any case that FB page can be a reunion place for us. If you don't want a facebook account, you can do a fake one (as 1/3 of the FB accounts)

Thorssen64
02-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the pointer to MMDOC. This shows just how a game can both be validly played for free and yet offer enough to keen or lazy players to pay for it.

BTOG46
02-20-2014, 04:45 AM
The end was inevitable when they added the pay to win heroes to the shop, I don't know how many long term subscriber players stopped their subscriptions at that point, but I suspect it was a very high % of the subscriber base.

TBH, I had the most fun in the closed beta days, and the first couple of seasons after the closed beta ended, after that the fun went out of the game.

R.I.P Kingdoms.

Avecforte
02-26-2014, 06:27 PM
I heard they gave out codes for MMDOC to the people who was playing this game. I am an avid player of MMDOC so if someone is not using their code feel free to send it to me and I promise it will get well used :)

//Thank you :)

pida42
03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi,
and what about making community that will run game (S1 or S2) on own servers?
Is this possible from Ubi side, is this idea realizable and not much stupid? :-)
How many servers (balancers, app, db, etc.) are in this moment needed for running game?

Elder_TdM
03-07-2014, 02:38 AM
I heard they gave out codes for MMDOC to the people who was playing this game. I am an avid player of MMDOC so if someone is not using their code feel free to send it to me and I promise it will get well used :)

//Thank you :)

I'm curious how those codes can be obtained (provided by Ubisoft). And of course always welcome XD

And anyone who remember me from Black Knights, Deus Ex, Warriors of Dom, or from the forum feel free to add me as friend on Uplay or steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/mtkyebra/
Would be great to see my PM box on the old forums, but seems removed :(

mtkyebra/ Elder

Diorifique
03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Just when I wanted to start playing again :)

Peeps who now me from Beta, feel free to add me wherever you want :) The name is the same everywhere :)

Cheer all

TOPMO3ABP
03-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I've deleted my main account (rammar - as Facebook connected) already with all worlds unsubscribed and as for this one, I send request to support to delete it also, as I'm not interested in other Ubi's (and from other developers) online projects at all. It was fun playing this game (this account was just for fun as it was free to play account to make some challenge and it was used as separated account, so the main one wasn't used it for an advantage, mostly it was otherwise, as this one gained some help (through shop gifting and so on, so it was as just normal two players game, sometimes it gifted something back, so it was kind of fun anyway)). As the end of this game was declared most of the last good players abandoned this game for a good, so the time has come to do it for myself (as Legendary player/Guru of this game as the other called me), so I want to wish you all a good luck in your future and our ways probably won't cross. Anyway, thank you all for the playing, take care...

TsuChi
03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
the end was in sight during beta
but devs and managers did not listen
I stopped playing when seals were announced (season 1)
I made hundreds of posts about needed corrections in gameplay during 3 betas
It was sad, even made me angry, but now I just feel nothing
the world is still spinning
there are other games to play
companies fall and rise
new mmo games are in the works
even I have sth on my plate
so who knows what the future bring ...

TsuChi
Member of The Dominion
Winning Alliance:
- TechBeta 1
- TechBeta 2

ps
thank you mmhk team for ruining this game, bcs this made me do things I would never expect I can do and with some luck maybe one day you will play a game of mine :)

ps2
cheers to all beta players and to all who remember me - it was a pleasure to play with you or against you.

MacGrandma
06-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Really sad that this game is closing.. A lot of older players. Now I play Xbox etc and have many games I can jump on but most of the older folk this is it! There is nothing left. Please keep on file a way to contact other members if you come up with a similar game type that they can join on their computers and play daily on.. So sad so sad, I will lose a lot of friends :( Please add me on facebook, MacGrandma the same name as on here. I hope to see you again and if you see my name it is most likely me playing a game! :) *HUGS* to all the DEVS, The support, the players for all these years of fun! Too bad these games do not show up on my Uplay account I could have tons of play time on there! lol MMHK Season 5 Till the End! MacGrandma

MacGrandma
06-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Seals in Season 3 you mean. :) Yeah it sucked and a lot of my best friends left when you could change a war game with cash in your pocket. A big majority of seniors playing on their retirement pay.. I think that is what we forget about gaming.. The monopoly game with family or Risk with no cost is what we were brought up with and retirement pay does not allow you to bump up with cash *the seals*. We need a game for us old folks... I mean we gave our 3 month tole pay to get a full house on here.. Sorry it was lost for you cause I lost a lot of friends too and saw the changes happening. I mean Developers need money and servers and etc etc... Friends with heart problems on SS payments or disability that don't have money to play a fine game like this. If only they could keep it up for us few and disable the seals a fun play site for instance. There are a lot of free sites now getting money from ads etc. throw ads on our corner panel lol yeah so sad that the disabled, seniors, and hard working students couldn't keep up with the seal bombardment to wash out really good players that knew strategy and not buy their way to a win. Wow if I could buy my way to a win when I was growing up I would never have to play fair. lol as we see it anyway. haha... TsuChi they do have new games out there.. Might and Magic games.. I havent tried them yet. but well maybe I might as long as you can't buy a win I am disabled and love gaming and found this game to be perfect for my life.. I am going to miss it! A LOT I stuck through the Seal mess.. I can still play. Yeah and now till Aug this game has no monthly fees. Join a game and buy a 3 month it is Zero dollars :/ anyway I really feel for my old friends and yes I am disabled and I am a Grandma and still play this game! till the end :( I am talking about the OLD GAME about to be crushed that was BETA for all the new Might and Magic Games (Might & Magic Heroes Kingdoms) We set the path for all these newer games! :)