PDA

View Full Version : Help with navigation

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 12:32 AM
~S~ all i have been playing in the vef alot and am having problems navigating.Was wondering if you guys could help me out with some advice on getting around to my targets other than that finding my home base isn't hard with the chat command but even this would be better if i could find it myself. thanks
Dragon

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 12:32 AM
~S~ all i have been playing in the vef alot and am having problems navigating.Was wondering if you guys could help me out with some advice on getting around to my targets other than that finding my home base isn't hard with the chat command but even this would be better if i could find it myself. thanks
Dragon

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 05:51 AM
Short answer: Rivers.

Look at the river (creek) and lake network, determine your location (bridges, roads, cities, forests, or any other landmarks, will help you find yourself). Once you know where you are, its a simple bit of navigating to follow a set of landmarks (or waypoints if you will) to your destination, or fly a straight line and trust your compass. Don't forget to do this on both the way out, and the way in.

XyZspineZyX
09-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Try not to lose track of where you are in the first place. BTW, one is never lost, merely temporarily unsure of position /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Following linear features is a good, easy way to find your way around - however you should try to avoid roads (at low level) in enemy territory; just as in RL they can often have flak travelling along them, which you'd rather avoid. Otherwise, you know where you've started and you can check your compass to see where you're going. Check your speed (TAS) and convert it to a rough km per minute. Work from map to ground, ie find something obvious on the map which you will see shortly and work out approximately when you'll get there. As the time approaches look out and locate your feature. Re-fix your position on the map and continue. The clock is just as important a nav aid as the compass.

If you should ever find yourself temporarily unsure of position, you must avoid the temptation of looking at the map and fitting what you can see outside to the features on the map where you think you might be. This time work from ground to map. Look for big, distinctive features like cities, big lakes, large rivers etc, then find them on the map. You ARE where those features indicate, however unlikely it might seem! For example, if you were pretty sure you were near Gorki, but the big town down there has a large river running through it from the south, bending away to the north-east, then you are over Orsha.

Unfortunately the Finnish maps are a nightmare once you get away from the coastline. There are good water features inland, but there are so many and they show so poorly on the map that you are only left with the road/rail network to work with.

I like running low-level attacks in IL-2s or 190s. The best features are woods or corners of woods. Mist filled river valleys can be great too, but if I was a fighter pilot I'd look for low ac following rivers. A wooded background offers the best concealment. There is much to consider when planning your route.

Kernow
249 IAP