PDA

View Full Version : Audio Garble

RXRRanger
01-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I am having severe audio garble issues with the game as of yesterday and to be clear no other program nor game are there any issues. I did not just start playing the game yesterday but have over 70 hrs. I searched in the forums but I did not see any solutions if someone could give some prudent advice to fix this it would be great.

YazX_
01-17-2014, 08:34 PM
whats the model of your audio device? is it on-board or dedicated card?

sometimes reinstalling Audio drivers fix the problem, try it out.

Frag_Maniac
01-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Garbled audio can be a common problem in the latest Windows OSes. I had it happening in YouTube videos now and then, and sometimes in games. Rebooting always fixed it, as was verified by others in some chat I read.

Recently I read up on it some more and found some different solutions that worked for some. So I tried going into Playback Devices of the Sound panel, and unchecking the box that says Disable all sound effects (highlight sound device, click properties, then Enhancements tab). By default sound effects are set to None anyway. So far I haven't had the problem again, but it's not been long enough to tell whether it fixed it.

Make sure you click Apply after changing this setting, and you may have to set it this way again when installing new drivers.

YazX_
01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Garbled audio can be a common problem in the latest Windows OSes. I had it happening in YouTube videos now and then, and sometimes in games. Rebooting always fixed it, as was verified by others in some chat I read.

Recently I read up on it some more and found some different solutions that worked for some. So I tried going into Playback Devices of the Sound panel, and unchecking the box that says Disable all sound effects (highlight sound device, click properties, then Enhancements tab). By default sound effects are set to None anyway. So far I haven't had the problem again, but it's not been long enough to tell whether it fixed it.

Make sure you click Apply after changing this setting, and you may have to set it this way again when installing new drivers.

i had this problem several times especially when i was on winXP, nothing fixed it but installing drivers, moving to windows 7, it happened once only and also installing drivers fixed it. so now im windows 8.1 and so far so good.

it didnt matter whether it is onboard or dedicated card, seems windows problem.

Frag_Maniac
01-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Driver updating or re-installing has never fixed it for me, and I just found out unchecking the sound effects box resets itself to be checked upon restart. I think this is a Windows problem. There's something buggy about that setting. Sometimes the Apply button greys out when you change the setting. Anyways, rebooting has always fixed it for me, and I often reboot before a game session anyway. Unchecking that box may also be a quicker fix than rebooting, though haven't tested that yet. I read yesterday someone said this problem can happen with or without a sound card too, which was disappointing to find, because I was considering getting a Xonar DS to see if it solved the problem.

I friggin hate Microsoft.

YazX_
01-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Driver updating or re-installing has never fixed it for me, and I just found out unchecking the sound effects box resets itself to be checked upon restart. I think this is a Windows problem. There's something buggy about that setting. Sometimes the Apply button greys out when you change the setting. Anyways, rebooting has always fixed it for me, and I often reboot before a game session anyway. Unchecking that box may also be a quicker fix than rebooting, though haven't tested that yet. I read yesterday someone said this problem can happen with or without a sound card too, which was disappointing to find, because I was considering getting a Xonar DS to see if it solved the problem.

I friggin hate Microsoft.

i'm not sure about Asus Xonar, several people are complaining about crappy drivers and lack of support, i was about to get it but then got Creative SoundBlaster Z, still no drivers for windows 8.1, but windows 8 drivers work just fine, ETA for win 8.1 drivers is end of January, so i advise you to check drivers and reviews before attempting any purchase.

Frag_Maniac
01-19-2014, 09:25 PM
i'm not sure about Asus Xonar, several people are complaining about crappy drivers and lack of support, i was about to get it but then got Creative SoundBlaster Z, still no drivers for windows 8.1, but windows 8 drivers work just fine, ETA for win 8.1 drivers is end of January, so i advise you to check drivers and reviews before attempting any purchase.

Yeah if you read Newegg reviews you typically find a lot of such claims, but in trusted tech forums like TechPowerUp, I've heard it's really not an issue. I'm also not a big fan of the way Creative does things. They sat on the same chip design for their sound cards for years, and is was eventually proven via hacks that their high end cards had the same chip. They just cripple the software on the low end ones. Now all they're doing is synthesizing the sound with a DSP chip. They literally did away with opamps and DAKs.

That said, the other reason I can't see going with the one you mentioned is I'm really only interested in passing a DTS encoded signal through to my AVR, and that can be done for well under $50.