PDA

View Full Version : Feel free to slice me gizzard and tie my legs to the halyard but?

Calrid
01-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Is it necessary to have seperate sections for PC/Console given that issues are generally broadly 90% the same on both formats. As long as people make it clear which platform they are on, which could be a selectable option that tags your signature for example. There is no need really.

That said there's probably something I am not seeing but meh. Just an idea I am full of them. :P

guardian_titan
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
They tried merging the two forums before. People had a fit over it. Think it was due to technical help (like helping those on console vs PC). Don't see why we can't have 1 general forum for all formats since forum tags solved the platform issue. PC general forums tend to be dead. Play the PC versions myself and I spend most of my time on the console general forums. I sometimes go weeks without looking at the PC forum. Think I recall Mr. Shade saying they'd think about trying to merge the forums again but that was before AC4 came out.

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 07:25 PM
I think it probably just simplifies housekeeping for them considering the staff is already limited in how much time they can spend here. Just the fact that you daily see spam bot threads that need cleaning up indicates they're short staffed.

Part of the problem is despite having a separate technical help board, everyone wants to air out their tech problems in General Discussion. They excuse it by saying their support tickets are not being answered in a reasonable amount of time, but what they don't realize is they're just making it hard on forum staff by it, whom don't even work for Ubi. It also tends to kill the atmosphere here for those of us whom just want to have discussion about the game, instead of wading through these constant tech complaint threads.

This is yet another thread that doesn't belong in Gen Discussion, because it's a complaint about the forum layout vs discussion about the game. It falls somewhere between a tech complaint and a feedback suggestion, but it's definitely not general discussion.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 07:30 PM
I think it probably just simplifies housekeeping for them considering the staff is already limited in how much time they can spend here. Just the fact that you daily see spam bot threads that need cleaning up indicates they're short staffed.

Part of the problem is despite having a separate technical help board, everyone wants to air out their tech problems in General Discussion. They excuse it by saying their support tickets are not being answered in a reasonable amount of time, but what they don't realize is they're just making it hard on forum staff by it, whom don't even work for Ubi. It also tends to kill the atmosphere here for those of us whom just want to have discussion about the game, instead of wading through these constant tech complaint threads.

This is yet another thread that doesn't belong in Gen Discussion, because it's a complaint about the forum layout vs discussion about the game. It falls somewhere between a tech complaint and a feedback suggestion, but it's definitely not general discussion.

Ah k thanks both fair enough. :)

Well to be fair if they are struggling to keep up with demand then the customer is always right, they need more staff, if they can't afford them off the back of the huge profit they are making atm people have a right to complain about not being heard by a skeleton crew manning a ghost ship. End of the day you can't please all of the people all of the time and you know how that goes. ;)

Mind you I've worked in office environments all my life and middle management are there let's face it because most of the time they have been promoted out of harms way and don't have the brains or the talent to go any further, same thing happens in the army and navy, you can become a Commodore by being totally crap at your job, but the rank Commodore or Brigadier is the kiss of death, you will never become a real general or real admiral if you accept that post unless you prove that you are not a failure generally, and it is unlikely you will because you are generally incompetent. So the best you can hope for is working as some minor official in a backwater colony, being generally despised by all under your command, and working very hard even to get to a position where you are not considered a numb nut. :)

The office is like a battlefield, in some ways I always thought the reason I never got into positions of command was because I was too good at my job, and not stupid enough, promotion is sometimes a misnomer. :D

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 07:42 PM
...they need more staff, if they can't afford them off the back of the huge profit they are making atm people have a right to complain about not being heard by a skeleton crew manning a ghost ship...

You're preaching to the choir there. I've said it before countless times that if Ubi wants to stay on top with best content and concepts of games, they need to back it with appropriate quality and support, and clearly Uplay and their forums are an indication of them not doing that.

Again though, and I can't stress this enough, you're just making it hard on people that don't make those decisions or even work for them by airing it out here, esp on an inappropriate forum. Write directly to Ubi to address such issues. THEY are the ones that need to be accountable, not forum staff.

I'll end by saying your having stated "the customer is always right", then ending with "you can't please everyone", kinda makes it sound like you're judging yourself as one of the "right" ones. There are literally TONS of people whom have leveled accusations against the game and Ubi that were false claims, so the customer is far from being always right, and the annoying thing is, some of those whom protest the most refuse to admit it even when they're proven wrong.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 07:52 PM
You say that, but they are a part of Ubisoft if not a subordinate and minor part so,... if there communication is so bad that they get no feedback from their own forums staffthen what is the point of writing to Ubisoft? They aren't listening to the forums, they aren't listening to the people who run forums, you are most likely just going to be 3 pointed into their I don't give a **** have you seen our first quartile returns bin for who gives a damn. :P

We must assume that either Ubisoft do not read this forum, do not care what their customers say, or have no liaison between sources of feedback capability, either way it's ****. The minimum they should have is a liaison who reports to the staff at Ubisoft from the forums, if they don't even have that then you are wasting your time, and they will pay for it in time anyway. The customer is important to any business and any business plan that hopes to survive, ignore them and "this" happens. It's not wise to upset your user base unless you expect to lose your customer base rather more quickly than you would like regardless of the share holders and your CEOs off shore bank account status. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeOUI2zEbo

I once had the misfortune to work in finance, which incidentally has the most psychopaths (and no I am not joking I can show the sceintific studies, being ruthless and lacking empathy is selected for in finance) per capita of any business sector aside from banking which is basically finance anyway, so I know the score. ;)

"Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken, it must do a certain amount of scratching around for what it gets."

Henry Ford

"It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages."

Henry Ford

"A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large."

Henry Ford

Smart man. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QJvc_SxFQ

"which brings us to the very urgent realisation of just how much there is still to own"

lol.

People are not wearing enough common sense, hats is only half the problem. ;)

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 08:03 PM
My point is, your harping endlessly here only makes it hard on the people that have zero to do with it. Seriously, the staff here DO NOT WORK FOR UBI! What part of that don't you get? Even if Ubi shines you on if you write them, they just might give you a contact email for the web admin, whom is ultimately likely the one to make forum layout decisions.

You're expecting to get response here is rather absurd, because your complaint not only falls between the cracks of game related material and tech problems, but is addressed to the WRONG PEOPLE!

I also don't see any sense in saying the customer is always right, then saying you can't please everyone, when it's clear you expect to be pleased by those whom can't even make such a decision. If there were such a thing as a one sided horse, you'd be beating yourself by now.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 08:29 PM
The staff here have no input whatsoever into what Ubisoft do, then there is your problem right there. Might as well close the forum down it's redundant. Sheez honestly I know what you are saying but if Ubisoft don't even have any liaison staff whatsoever with their customers or the community via forums or anywhere else, like I say what is the point in writing to them, they don't give a **** what we think anyway. DO YOU SEE WHAT I AM SAYING. Ubisoft don't care what anyone thinks ever quite clearly. Abstergo eat your heart out.

I don't give a **** what you say I am doing what I do want is accountability, and if they have none whatsoever ever, then they will lose out. It's about time they woke up out of the consumer funk they are in and started paying attention to their customer base, if they really will never see this, they are a sinking ship, doomed to lose profit hand over fist because people will just breach the scuppers and bail out like drowning rats.

To put it simply if they do not give a damn enough to do even the bare minimum other games companies do to be responsive to customers, why write to them, they are quite happy not to listen, why disturb their slumber with any effort on our part? Except to just leave the game in disgust. If you can't be heard then vote with your feet and just abandon the game. I would.

Seriously I have never heard of a games company that only responds to snail mail, that is abysmal.

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
If that is your perception, why did you even make the thread in the first place? I mean really, are you here just to stir the pot?

You make it clear in your second paragraph that what I suspected was true, you think it's fine if some are not pleased, as long as YOU are, even though your wanting a console/PC board is minuscule by comparison to the REAL problems most are having.

You clearly don't understand the typical structure in today's official forums of games, or the concept of prioritizing the worst case scenario problems first. No one's going to bump one eccentric loud mouth to the front of the pack when some can't even get the game to work properly.

You should check out EA's forums if you think Ubi's are bad. Maybe then you'd get a proper reality check.

Anyways, I'm done explaining the obvious. I've seen at least one here get banned for blowing off steam rudely for no reason already, and right now, you're heading down that path.

I find it odd you preach decorum in your sig. You seem to be void of it yourself.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Ok I am sorry little stressed atm and there was no need to take the tone I did. But you did seem to suggest there was no way of contacting them: genuinely sorry mate I am sure you were only trying to help and there is no excuse for me getting all uptight about it. I apologise.

And again you are right why sig something you are not prepared to do yourself, even if it is a joke, it is hypocritical. Again sorry, that was out of line.

You clearly don't understand the typical structure in today's official forums of games, or the concept of prioritizing the worst case scenario problems first. No one's going to bump one eccentric loud mouth to the front of the pack when some can't even get the game to work properly.

I do actually sorry again. Wont happen again. My real life stress is no excuse for me taking it out on someone else who after all is going out of his way to try and be helpful I can only say that I am sorry so many times. :P

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Hi Calrid... (smoke me a kipper :D "the avatar")

I personally would have no problem with a single forum as long as it held my interest with interaction about the creed, characters and story lines, some of the console threads are quite funny. In the PC threads I don't even mind the questions about hardware and component issues as we're all here looking for some chat and to either get or give advice. But the complaints should really be in the tech forum and not here.
And unfortunately.... as much as I'm more interested in the game rather than the device upon which it is played...... sooner or later the old "pc vs console" raises its ugly head unnecessarily :( and people can get very defensive. I own an xbox (only for kinnect as I cannot use a controller) and as much as I really appreciate the extras that the pc has.... I see absolutely nothing wrong with my xbox, it displays a game and I play and enjoy it... but others will start a flaming war. That could be stopped if we had more voluntary moderators.. people given limited moderator capabilities who would willingly give up their own time to help and stop any infractions of the rules. It works on other forums and I do not see why it couldn't work here.... I'm sure there are some long serving members over there and Frag has the requisite knowledge to be a good mod over here.... so maybe it could work if marshaled well.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Aye you are right but moderation is a thankless task for which you receive no pay and which Pirate would opt for no booty? I have a lot of time for moderators they are being very noble helping the community, spending their time and generally they get no thanks for it. I have been one so I should know. Never again, but each to his own and keep on trucking guys, everyone will despise you but deep down they know they are too afraid to take on that sort of role. ;)

There's nothing wrong with any format whatsoever, anyone who says otherwise is a snob. :)

I am going to stop with the pirate talk now, it's probably getting old, although I use aye all the time anyway. :)

I've always had a golden rule in gaming, and that is have fun, everything else is just part and parcel to that deal. If you are having fun you are in the right place. :)

And I'll be back for breakfast. :p

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 11:47 PM
yes I've been wandering round the console forum and people are quite interactive and generally good humoured (humored... depending on location) more gameplay and game interaction... If fanboys could be slapped down quickly then the interaction would be more than welcome... as you say constantly monitoring a forum would be a chore but it would also be nice to be able to intervene and the mods do seem to enjoy themselves a little more openly over there... be nice to have some of those discussions here.

Anykeyer
01-15-2014, 07:25 AM
I dont see any reasons why general discussion is separate, game is the same on all platfoms. And at the same time they dont have separate technical help section for PC. Does not make any sense to me.