PDA

View Full Version : Engine Torque

Call_me_Kanno
04-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Has anyone noticed the engine torque is backward's as to what it should be. At least in one of the Spitfires I noticed it is. Or has this been hashed out already? When sitting in the cockpit the prop rotates clockwise so the torque of the engine should cause the plane to want to rotate to the left on lift off. But yet when the plane starts to get light on it'd wheels it will start to rotate to the right. The same direction as the prop rotates.

To see an example of this look at your vehicles engine and the direction the fan blade is turning. Now give it some gas and notice how the engine block will torque in the opposite dorection. This will cause pressure to be put on the opposite side of the chassis and as a result make the vehicle dip to that side.

Same thing will happen in a piston engine plane and this will cause the plane to turn to the left quicker than to the right. Also this will cause a very powerful plane to rotate extremly to left on take off and flip over.

This is something I noticed and has kind of bugged me a little.

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Kanno/Sig.jpg

[This message was edited by Call_me_Kanno on Mon April 05 2004 at 06:43 PM.]

Call_me_Kanno
04-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Has anyone noticed the engine torque is backward's as to what it should be. At least in one of the Spitfires I noticed it is. Or has this been hashed out already? When sitting in the cockpit the prop rotates clockwise so the torque of the engine should cause the plane to want to rotate to the left on lift off. But yet when the plane starts to get light on it'd wheels it will start to rotate to the right. The same direction as the prop rotates.

To see an example of this look at your vehicles engine and the direction the fan blade is turning. Now give it some gas and notice how the engine block will torque in the opposite dorection. This will cause pressure to be put on the opposite side of the chassis and as a result make the vehicle dip to that side.

Same thing will happen in a piston engine plane and this will cause the plane to turn to the left quicker than to the right. Also this will cause a very powerful plane to rotate extremly to left on take off and flip over.

This is something I noticed and has kind of bugged me a little.

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/Kanno/Sig.jpg

[This message was edited by Call_me_Kanno on Mon April 05 2004 at 06:43 PM.]

heywooood
04-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Apparently - from what I've read -it has been discussed- there is something about the flight model or FM in the programm that has to be tweeked. There should be no torque effect in the P38 for instance, but there is a slight effect. it is as little as they could make it.
the torque effect should be opposite to the dirrection of prop rotation (Newton)..equal and opposite re-action..

probably the ones that are backwards will be fixed with the AEP patch that is due in two weeks (snicker cough).

uber_newbie
04-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Just a thought, but isn't the prop driven by a reduction gearbox which could reverse the direction of the prop in relation to the engine crankshaft??? Maybe someone with ACTUAL aircraft knowledge could elaborate since I'm just speculating.

Creepin

Bansai Potato
04-07-2004, 06:19 AM
The directional rotation of the engine has very little effect on the aircraft, you get a slight gyroscopic effect from the spinning crank shaft bu that is all. The 'Torque Pull' is provided by the propeller, as the engine spins the propeller in a clockwise motion (when viewed from cockpit) the left wheel is pushed down into the ground with more load the right, therefore creating more drag and pulling to the left. The propeller torque also drives air down the fuselage in a corkscrew stlyle (clockwise frm the cockpit) which hit the left side of the fin/rudder and push the nose to the left and thats it.

Classic

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/Ede_EAF92/EAF/24890632.92EastIndiaSquadronpersonnel.jpg