PDA

View Full Version : AC4 Combat Training

lankychurtle
01-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Recently started playing AC4. Haven't played any of the AC titles since AC2, but I seem to recall there was a kind of combat training simulator, just outside a big mansion you owned, or something like that?
Having not played for a while, i've found myself button mashing a bit to much, and could use an equivalent simulator in AC4, so i can practice breaking defense, chaining kills (not even sure if you can do this in AC4), etc. As i recall, in AC2, you could choose a specific type of move, and practice it until you'd mastered it, without the downsides of actually dying if you get it wrong; looking for something like that.

BMoattari
01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Hey lankychurtle,

The combat system for ACIV has changed greatly from the game mechanics of ACII. Counters have been simplified to the utmost, along with kill streaks and overall flow.
Just as a basic tutorial:

B counters/avoides attacks from Soldiers, Agiles (knife-users), Axe Users, and Captains. (You can only attack a Captain after countering his attack, and you roll away from the Axe User's attack.)
After countering Soldiers/Agiles, you can immediately hit X and perform a counter-kill. As for Captains, you must chain your attack by repeatedly pressing X after countering. Axe Users can only be attacked by disarming them with the A button, and immediately attacking them from behind by a chain attack.
You can disarm/counter-disarm all enemies EXCEPT the Captain, so be careful when you're surrounded by numerous enemies.

I hope this helps, since there isn't any formal to combat situations throughout the game itself. Cheers!

lankychurtle
01-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Cool; shame about the lack of combat simulator and the slightly reduced mechanics, but thanks for the help!
If (once i've finished black flag) i want to try one with more advanced combat, which one would be a good place to start?

BMoattari
01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, in terms of more in-depth combat styles, I'd definitely suggest the entire Batman: Arkham trilogy - Asylum, City, and Origins were absolutely fantastic for freeflow combat, as well as the challenge of more difficult settings. If you've already played those, I'd also add Injustice to the list, if you're a Mortal Kombat fan. Great selection of characters with their respective fighting styles and combinations.