PDA

View Full Version : Blending in the crowd !

MasterAssasin84
01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
So i am now back on AC1 ! and i must say i am still massively mesmorized by the whole experience but one element that stuck out like a sore thumb in my opinion is that the blending since AC1 has gone completely down the pan ! i love the way Altair actually uses his environment to remain incognito like moving with the scholars for example ?

I just hope that rbi bring this back this type of stealth in future Assassins Creed games rather than the duff blending we are seeing now !! it just irritates me when i move between the crowds and that annoying robotic sound you hear spores out and the Assassins appearance is darkened ? please bring back the blending that was shown to us in AC1 !!

Fatal-Feit
01-11-2014, 09:46 PM
AC:3 and AC:1 has the best blending, period. Ezio's Trilogy and AC:IV's blending are not immersive at all!

MasterAssasin84
01-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Oh without a doubt !! i would say AC3's blending is totally superior to Black Flag ! But in that area AC1 set the standard.

Kagurra
01-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I liked how in AC1 you didn't have any textures or annoying sound effects telling you constantly you were hidden. You never knew 100% if you were hidden or not, and that's how it would be IRL. It made some tense moments.

They've really lost the immersion AC1 had. It just seemed like a totally different game besides the fact there are Assassins and hidden blades... Maybe I'm just nostalgic.

MasterAssasin84
01-11-2014, 09:57 PM
I liked how in AC1 you didn't have any textures or annoying sound effects telling you constantly you were hidden. You never knew 100% if you were hidden or not, and that's how it would be IRL. It made some tense moments.

They've really lost the immersion AC1 had. It just seemed like a totally different game besides the fact there are Assassins and hidden blades... Maybe I'm just nostalgic.

Exactly this ! the noise effects and the duff textures are just terrible and to be fair annoying !! totally un realistic ! its like the Animus is dictating as to who well socially hidden you are rather than how the memories have re lived it ? i am sure they did not have star trek sound effects and darkened textures in 1715 ! ( Sarcasm )

Kagurra
01-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Exactly this ! the noise effects and the duff textures are just terrible and to be fair annoying !! totally un realistic ! its like the Animus is dictating as to who well socially hidden you are rather than how the memories have re lived it ? i am sure they did not have star trek sound effects and darkened textures in 1715 ! ( Sarcasm )

They've just gone overboard with the game-y animus aspect. Yeah, we're in the animus, but we're supposed to be reliving history. There's so much hud clutter and hand-holding flashing bits and icons over people's heads, etc etc, I could go on forever.

What especially annoys me is that when I try to disable some of these hud features (AC4 btw) and have it more minimalistic like AC1, (just keeping health bar, character icon, and puppeteer) IT GLITCHES OUT. FFS. The puppeteer glitches out when you do not have the mini-map enabled. When you look at ANYTHING somewhat graphically intensive like a tree and not the ground, the top button, or Y for xbox gets repeatedly cut in half and pops in and out. It's seriously annoying so I have to play with the mini-map on, and then it looks weird because it's not symmetrical so I need to put the weapon indicator back. Ugh. Sorry, that was slightly OT but there's my rant for today.

IWGCJoeCool
01-12-2014, 01:45 AM
i didnt mind the later group blending when you had to keep pace and position. in AC1, travelling with Scholars could be set and you could have a bathroom break, make a sandwich, or travel to the carribean on vacation for a week.. i didnt mind cuz other than that the game didnt give you a whole bunch more....like when you were running for your life, turning a bunch of corners to break line of sight, and JUST WHEN you were about to hop into a haycart or roof garden, you were spotted.

DinoSteve1
01-12-2014, 02:21 AM
AC3 had blending?

Kagurra
01-12-2014, 02:59 AM
i didnt mind the later group blending when you had to keep pace and position. in AC1, travelling with Scholars could be set and you could have a bathroom break, make a sandwich, or travel to the carribean on vacation for a week.. i didnt mind cuz other than that the game didnt give you a whole bunch more....like when you were running for your life, turning a bunch of corners to break line of sight, and JUST WHEN you were about to hop into a haycart or roof garden, you were spotted.

Well yeah, it shouldn't automatically move for you. Other than that though... can't think of any technical improvements.

SixKeys
01-12-2014, 03:05 AM
I actually prefer the AC1/ACB blend groups where you don't have to press anything to remain in the group. There are arguments for and against, I suppose. I liked them because it gave me the chance to look around and plan my strategy without having to keep up with the group. The first time I played AC1 I was so afraid of getting caught in the Garnier mission that I kept going round and round and round in the same blend group for like 15 minutes, looking for the perfect exit to catch the doctor unaware. :p

IWGCJoeCool
01-12-2014, 03:55 AM
I actually prefer the AC1/ACB blend groups where you don't have to press anything to remain in the group. There are arguments for and against, I suppose. I liked them because it gave me the chance to look around and plan my strategy without having to keep up with the group. The first time I played AC1 I was so afraid of getting caught in the Garnier mission that I kept going round and round and round in the same blend group for like 15 minutes, looking for the perfect exit to catch the doctor unaware. :p

dunno if i was impatient or not, but only saw the scholars as the easy way in, and maybe out if i was lucky. however the real trick in that assassination was the broken window in the near left corner, and going up the ladder in the rear left, doing some freerunning to get there. there is a conveniently placed haystack to jump into.

Kagurra
01-13-2014, 01:23 AM

While that's an interesting way of looking at it, I still have to disagree. Games need way less hand holding, and we know it's going to be there in AC5, so at least remove some of it.

IWGCJoeCool
01-13-2014, 01:54 AM
While that's an interesting way of looking at it, I still have to disagree. Games need way less hand holding, and we know it's going to be there in AC5, so at least remove some of it.

ditto, even while "blending" with a crowd, either moving or stationary, you would still move discreetly, attempting to avoid any eye contact, and keeping someone's head between the guard(s) and your face....even if i'm wearing a heavily adorned, refined, white robe amongst a group of burlap wearing monks ;) this aspect of the game should take some attention and maybe a little skill.

TheDanteEX
01-13-2014, 07:47 AM
"Blending" in AC1 can refer to a few things, can't it? Altair was always blending, and unless a guard was suspicious, they didn't suspect anything. The crowd wasn't an actual hiding spot, it was just preventing him from standing out too much. He was just another civilian in low profile essentially. Then there was the "praying" blending which in hindsight is a little silly, but I assume it's Altair pretending to be a monk. I'm not exactly sure how it works in a logical sense, but it's there. And finally, the benches and group of monks were just hiding spots. The monks moved obviously, but if you stop praying for a split second, you're suddenly detected. Goes back to the logic thing, which surely isn't the reasoning behind the blending mechanic as blending has never made enough sense. But logic and video games don't work on every level, so that's totally understandable.

phoenix-force411
01-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Lol, just hold onto Blend and you're invisible already. Not realistic there. But none of the ACs really have good blending mechanics or incognito mechanics, because in the Ezio's trilogy, if someone drops there stupid wooden crates the guards think it's your fault even if you were like 20 meters away from them.

phoenix-force411
01-13-2014, 07:53 AM
ACIII had the most blending animations and it had natural blending elements, but the broken A.I. sort of defeats that purpose.

poptartz20
01-13-2014, 08:08 AM
yeah.. AC1's "pray" was pretty silly to me, and I still feel you stood out from the monks for the simple fact that you have Oh I don't know a bunch of daggers and a red sash hanging off of you, but what can you do! #VGLOGIC lol. (yes, I did use a hashtag)

Tbh AC3 had some of the best blending the series had to offer.

RinoTheBouncer
01-13-2014, 11:37 AM
I prefer the blending in AC:Revelations. It was good to see Ezio moving automatically with the crowd, without having to show that glitchy animations like hes stuck between them.