PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like the Present-Day story & ending? SPOILERS

smballer23
01-10-2014, 10:28 PM
In the previous games, the modern story was being built up really well with Desmond, and you could tell that there was a sense of purpose to everything (Such as Minerva talking to Ezio through Desmond), and it just ended so anti-climatically at AC3 by killing him off suddenly.

Now its just a nameless protagonist inside a cubicle at Abstergo Entertainment. The only twist there was that John of IT was a sage (He had the same moustache as Roberts, not very creative IMO). There didn't seem to be a sense of purpose for the Present story as much.

The entire series seems to be headed towards stopping Juno and some more First Civ stuff including Sages & artifacts.

What do you guys think about the Overall arc now? While it does open up a lot of possibilities, I feel like Ubisoft will probably make the story up as they go

RoBg03
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
It felt forced. personally i didn't like the whole sage angle anyway. it just seemed like they never planned past the whole 2012 thing and its been kind of a make it up as you go along situation. abstergo seems pretty laid back any more. its like, 'hi person we just met, heres our incredible technology that lets you see the past, have at it!' and it was obvious they were making a ubisoft tie in there with the whole abstergo software, i wouldn't be surprised if all those modern day characters were based on ubi employees. i dunno, just felt corny to me, not very templar....oh yeah, and some how shaun has a gig there? the templar are slipping.

dxsxhxcx
01-10-2014, 11:08 PM
AC3's presentation of the modern days could've been a lot better but I'm OK with Desmond death, I agree with you that the current MD style lacks the sense of purpose Desmond's arc used to have and this is one of the reasons I hated it, I also hate when they put the player in the role of the "protagonist" because I find more interesting to be told a story about a unique character than pretend I'm controlling myself especialy when I don't have any kind of say in the events I take part, another thing I hate about 1st person is when they don't give you a body, it really breaks the immersion and control a mute character doesn't help as well..

if we were put in the role of random (unique like Desmond) character (preferably in 3rd person) for some games doing what we did in AC4 (researching ancestors for Abstergo or other role) until they had time to create a new proper modern day protagonist (because in AC4 IMO I was a secondary character and not someone important like Desmond was) to deal with Juno maybe I could've enjoyed the current style a little, but at its current state it just sucks...

aL_____eX
01-10-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm and I've always been a HUGE fan of the modern day part in Assassin's Creed, but I think this part of the game is dead. I don't believe anymore that they will come out with something special and story building in one of the next games. In my opinion, they didn't choose the 1st person view to take their time for the story, they chose it to kind of kick this part out. ACIV's modern day part is so out of place, so meaningless. I still hope, but I don't expect anything anymore.

edit: @RoBg03: I don't know who mentioned it, but Olivier looks like UbiGabe.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm and I've always been a HUGE fan of the modern day part in Assassin's Creed, but I think this part of the game is dead. I don't believe anymore that they will come out with something special and story building in one of the next games. In my opinion, they didn't choose the 1st person view to take their time for the story, they chose it to kind of kick this part out. ACIV's modern day part is so out of place, so meaningless. I still hope, but I don't expect anything anymore.

edit: @RoBg03: I don't know who mentioned it, but Olivier looks like UbiGabe.

Come on people lets not judge it yet it's only the first in the new saga

dxsxhxcx
01-10-2014, 11:38 PM
Come on people lets not judge it yet it's only the first in the new saga

while AC1 was the first one and we didn't know where we were going or had much information about the plot, IMO it did a much better job raising expectation for the next game than AC4, AC4 seems to be its own thing a standalone game that happens to be part of the same universe of its predecessors

aL_____eX
01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I actually guess there will be no such thing as a "new saga". I believe, Ubi mentioned that the modern day story will likely go on the way it is in ACIV - as a little side thing. And that would just not be what this great game deserves. I'm not judiging anyone, just pointing out, what i expect and not expect from future games anymore based on rumors and discussions in the last time.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 12:40 AM
I was never a fan of the modern day, but at least with Desmond's arc, there was a sense that it was headed somewhere. AC3 proved that it was headed toward disappointment and mediocrity, but still. There was a clear goal in sight (stop Vidic and the solar flare) and a real sense of suspense. Now, it's just meh. What's the objective? I guess you could say "to stop Juno," but is that really what they're doing? Because from what I can tell, the Assassins are still pissing around trying to fight Abstergo, and Juno is somehow stuck in digital form somewhere across cyberspace unable to take physical form, so is she even a threat at the moment? What are we trying to accomplish in the modern story?

I liked all the Easter eggs and fan service in Abstergo Entertainment and the hacked computers, but as a narrative, I agree with aL___eX. Modern day AC is dead with no sign of reincarnation in sight.

dbzk1999
01-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Like I said this is only the beginning if after ac5 it feels like it's going nowhere then ok but for now can we still give it at least one try

RoBg03
01-11-2014, 12:53 AM
I was never a fan of the modern day, but at least with Desmond's arc, there was a sense that it was headed somewhere. AC3 proved that it was headed toward disappointment and mediocrity, but still. There was a clear goal in sight (stop Vidic and the solar flare) and a real sense of suspense. Now, it's just meh. What's the objective? I guess you could say "to stop Juno," but is that really what they're doing? Because from what I can tell, the Assassins are still pissing around trying to fight Abstergo, and Juno is somehow stuck in digital form somewhere across cyberspace unable to take physical form, so is she even a threat at the moment? What are we trying to accomplish in the modern story?

I liked all the Easter eggs and fan service in Abstergo Entertainment and the hacked computers, but as a narrative, I agree with aL___eX. Modern day AC is dead with no sign of reincarnation in sight.

i feel the same. after ac1 the modern story line really started to feel intrusive to me. it still had core story to it, but it slowly became less and less interesting to me to the point where it was a distraction from the main part of the game (the animus). in BF the modern story felt really corny to me. it was just very unbelieveable and further took me out of the game by making it a mute character in first person. i mean, who hacks their companies systems a day after they are hired? it left me feeling like the modern character (me) was an idiot who was listening to john and doing what ever he was told. then there are arguably the two most wanted assassin shaun and rebeca just chilling in the lobby? i really think in the future they should make that side of the story play out in cutscenes or introduce a new character. how about an abstergo employee who starts off as what we'd consider a bad guy, but as he digs into the animus he starts to find out abstergos evil intentions. he/she could make the same moral journey as the ancestor does, eventually defecting to the assassins, maybe stealing their DNA stash so that they can continue to investegate in future games. we already know you no longer have to be related to these ppl to relive them. dunno, i'm sure i'll still be playing the next one regardless.

smballer23
01-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Yeah, the Modern plot seems too experimental to be honest.

There doesn't seem to be a sense of purpose in the past either, you basically look for the Observatory in the memories. I think it was sort of pointless because Abstergo already has all this surveillance technology. I think they were looking for First Civ blood samples or something. The only twist we got was that John was a Sage, and there was a good ending to Edward's story

I mean, they made too many games with Desmond, but I guess this overall story is an attempt to give the franchise a clean slate..

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 02:25 AM
Yeah, the Modern plot seems too experimental to be honest.

There doesn't seem to be a sense of purpose in the past either, you basically look for the Observatory in the memories. I think it was sort of pointless because Abstergo already has all this surveillance technology. I think they were looking for First Civ blood samples or something. The only twist we got was that John was a Sage, and there was a good ending to Edward's story

I mean, they made too many games with Desmond, but I guess this overall story is an attempt to give the franchise a clean slate..

I guess this is what's most important, really. The modern stuff can suck for all I care, but I hate when it interferes so much with the ancestors' stories. That's why I'm one of the (apparently few) fans who's glad that ACR happened; we needed a proper ending for Ezio and Altair. And while I'm not saying we need to follow every Assassin through every moment of their life from birth to death like we did with Ezio, I do think the end of the historical part of each game should be an actual ending for their character. AC4's was great, AC3's was alright (though I still think Connor deserves a second chance) and ACR's was wonderful, but AC1 and AC2? Honestly, I was pretty annoyed with their abrupt endings. Not so much with AC1 since I wasn't all that engaged with Altair's story to begin with, but AC2's ending in the Vault just sucked. "Wait, stop, I have more questions" *CUT TO BLACK*. I'm glad we got to round out his story in the sequels, though I could easily argue that Brotherhood and Revelations could've been merged into one game.