PDA

View Full Version : Satisfying Combat

Wolfmeister1010
01-10-2014, 12:07 AM
I feel like, mechanics aside, the combat system as of now is not as satisfying as it should be. Some of the things that should be better are the camera angles and sound effects.

Fortunately, one video is able to show both issues/solutions. I have been trying to figure out why the combat looks so much better than any combat in the final version.

http://youtu.be/gZrklEy9ohQ

My arguments are based on the combat that starts at 3:53

For one, I feel like the sound effects are not as good as they should have been, in AC3 or AC4. The gun sound effects continue to be abysmal, and the slices don't really feel like they connect to anything. However, the sound effects in the demo sound great. If you listen you can see that the tomahawk effects are quite different than the final game, and I think they sound much better. I wonder why they changed them.

The gun sound effects in the Havana Demo for AC4 also were better than in the final game. Why do they keep replacing the great effects with ****ty ones in the final game? Basically, the sound effects need to be a LOT better in the next AC, whether they are for swords or guns.

Next, (I may be on my own on this issue) is the camera angles. In AC3/4, when in a fight with a bunch of guards, the camera zooms out ALOT to view basically everyone on screen. In the demo combat in the vid above, the camera is not too close, but is close enough for it to feel more "personal" I believe. You can see the enemy's face as you stab them, and watch the weapons connect with the body with greater view. I think the camera should always be like how it is in the demo.

Although it would make it so that you couldn't see EVERYONE on screen, it wouldn't really affect gameplay that much. It's not like we have to worry about it being more difficult. It is AC after all. If an enemy begins to fire at you, it could still make the camera zoom towards the enemy, alerting you that they are about to shoot.

I just feel like if the camera was always like how it is in that AC3 demo, the combat would look and feel more satisfying. Anyone else agree?

DinoSteve1
01-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Camera angles were shocking in ACIV specially when you are fighting on a ship.

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 03:01 AM
AC3s camera was perfect. The fact you could zoom it out and spin it as you wished was even better, I always had it as close as it could go because it felt like you more in the fight rather than an RTS. Especially for one on one fights.

ACIV ruined it especially with the double kill camera.

Megas_Doux
01-10-2014, 03:05 AM
In terms of sound effects, ACI still has the edge.........

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 03:16 AM
In terms of sound effects, ACI still has the edge.........

Objectively, I cant agree. AC3 had the best sound effects from sword slashes, hidden blade stabs and slashes (you could literally hear the blood), tomahawk hits, guns, explosions, footsteps, basically everything. AC1 had great sound design for its time.

Megas_Doux
01-10-2014, 03:29 AM
I dont know, I play ACI regurarly, and it is not only about the combat, but the entire edition. When Altair walks and runs you really hear all the gear as if you were beside him.

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 03:40 AM
I dont know, I play ACI regurarly, and it is not only about the combat, but the entire edition. When Altair walks and runs you really hear all the gear as if you were beside him.

Oh man, I remember that beautiful, beautiful tangling sound.. <3

SixKeys
01-10-2014, 05:21 AM

It's all about the swords for me. The sound of swords clanging heavily against each other was perfect in AC1. Why did they change that?