PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for Ubisoft and the Assassin's Creed franchise.

darknightd
01-09-2014, 06:42 PM
No doubt, there have been many different complaints about Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, either in threads of their own or within other threads related to bugs and glitches.
None of which it appears, you (Ubisoft) have read.
If you had, then i would have expected you to have done more to improve the experience of your games.

I have to say it Ubisoft.
If you no longer care about Assassin's Creed and its rich story offerings and possibilities, then may i suggest you sell the IP to a developer who will give a sh*t.
Preferably too a developer who does and will understand how the fans feel, and what it means if you embrace the loyalty that the fans give.
And when i talk about loyal fans, i'm not talking about those who are die hard Ubisoft fans.
Those people do not reflect the vast majority of gamers out there as they buy into the company name more than they buy into the product the company sells.

Whenever i buy an Assassin's creed game, i buy it with a few expectations.
I expect to be astounded by the level of detail put into the rich history that the AC universe draws from.
I expect to be amazed by the detail put into the open world.
I expect to be impressed by the game play.
And i expect to be taken aback by the twists used to immerse the player into the AC universe.
What i don't expect is to get a game that clearly shows that the only effort put into it are the bare minimum possible in order to call it an Assassin's Creed game.
A game that is so full of bugs and glitches that not even you yourselves seem to know what to do and have, seemingly, given up on ever getting them fixed.
And if you do get them fixed, it will be long after most people will have played the game through to the finish, with all its bugs and glitches unfixed.
But this shouldn't be a surprise to any of us on these forums though should it?
I mean, how can anyone, let alone your customers, expect anything else from you when nearly all of the games you have produced in the past 2 - 3 years have had so many issues that it takes away the fun and enjoyment from the overall experience of the game?
And the vast majority of those games were delayed and were STILL nowhere near to being considered complete.

To be fair, i don't blame you entirely.
I blame people, much like myself, who keep buying your products while at the same time, telling ourselves that you will come good in the end.
That you will restore our faith in the game franchises you have produced and that we love.
And that we also tell ourselves will get better in quality as reward for our loyalty.

How wrong are we?

As an aside, and if you won't sell it on, i think that the best thing that Ubisoft can do is pull the final trigger on the Assassin's Creed franchise and kill it for good.
Especially if you're going to continue down the same path of releasing games with game breaking bugs and glitches.
You've practically killed it off anyway having done practically nothing to fix the atrocious bugs that span almost all the formats its been released on.
I mean, you couldn't even be bothered to fix the +99 player cap for those on the PS3 and PS4 (not entirely sure if its the same for XBOne, or if its an issue on PC) so what hope is there for any meaningful fixes outside of the multiple multiplayer patches you have released so far?
Which seems to be the only part of the game you have concentrated your efforts on.
Its worse still when you cynically release DLC for people to purchase when you haven't fixed the game breaking bugs and glitches, and when that DLC itself is screwed or customers can't buy it or play it because previous bugs prevent them from doing so.
And should i mention that the vast majority of bugs and glitches are still here after all this time from when the game was released on the 29th of October?

When the overall experience of a game is one that is of frustration and disappointment because of all its bugs and glitches, and not because of the actual gameplay itself, then for me, its dead.
And why kid ourselves here when we know that it (Assassins' Creed) will never get the same rich story telling like the first 4 incarnations of the game had?
Its a revenue stream that is being abused as exactly that. Revenue.
I know that deep down now and i doubt that i am the only one to see it.

What concerns me more now is what abuses we can expect in the future.
We know Watchdogs is around the corner and a lot of people are expecting great things from it.
There are equally as many people who are excited at the prospect of being able to play what seems like a modern day Assassin's Creed.
I too was excited about it and was really disappointed by the games delay as i originally pre-ordered my PS4 as a Watchdogs pack.
After it was delayed i thought that it must be bad for Ubisoft to delay a game, with so much promise and excitement, and to be pushed back so far.
But then i played Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

I can honestly tell you now. If Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag is anything to go by, then i expect Watchdogs to be yet another massive disappointment in a chain of Ubisoft released games.
One that, i have no doubt, will be riddled to its core with bugs that SHOULD be considered game crippling.
I have no doubt that it will set the forums alight with complaints about its bugs and glitches and i will be reading it all very, very carefully.

I find it shocking that software developers have been allowed to get away with selling incomplete products for as long as they have.
Fooling the customer base time and time again.
And, again, i don't blame you entirely for that.
Its as much OUR fault for letting developers get a way with it in as much as it is for you doing it.

I would have thought that Assassin's Creed 4 would have been largely bug free considering that 3 of the 6 main platforms it was released on were all based on the same architecture.
I would never have thought that i would see such a lazy approach of porting the game across the PC, XBOne and PS4 platforms, and that the major bugs across all 3 could have been so different.
I mean, What were you thinking?

I really hope that you Ubisoft, read this post.
I really hope that you read the posts of anyone who would agree, or disagree with me on this and come to an informed decision about the direction you want to take.
Hopefully this one post will enact a difference in feeling for the customers who buy your games and for how you go about releasing them.

All i can say is, as one of your loyal customers, i can no longer be loyal as time and time again, across some of the different franchises i am a fan of, you have disappointed me over and over again.
For anyone buying your games, the only advice i can give is wait.
Whenever a Ubisoft game is released, the best thing you can do, if you want it, is wait at least 6 - 8 months before buying.
Its the only sure fire way to know that when you play it, you may get to enjoy the game and story a lot more as the bugs and glitches shouldn't ruin the overall experience.

Kaschra
01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Funny, AC4 had the smallest amount of bugs and glitches out of all AC games for me.
It's kinda weird that this differs so much.

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Same here I got it the day it came out and experienced NO glitches what so ever

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2014, 08:58 PM
I've only ever came across 1 or 2 bugs and glitches in my first playthrough. And that was on a console. If you ask me, that's impressive.

You can't satisfy everyone, I suppose.

lothario-da-be
01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
My console seems to be anti-glitches. I barely encounter any bugs in any game. I can't remember any bugs in ac4, less then 10 in over 100 hours ac3, less then 10 in revelations for sure. Don't remember any for acb but i haven't played it in a long time. The most seem to be in ac2 and even there its not realy much.

luv10man
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Yes, yes, yes, I agree Darknight. I too was a loyal and hooked fan of the AC series from day one, but this time around is too much especially when they try fixing stuff that isn't broken such as the social items nobody can find since the day UBI decided they were too easy & made them impossible to find. A few minor glitches such as dead floating enemies, or the ones that never moved or took damage, or even the time I fell thru into the bottom of a ship with an invisible roof and sides that I had to do a restart to get out of,...those I could live with, but the social items glitch which was not actually a glitch but a flat out human screw up that they took upon themselves to make and then ignore the thousands of complaints week after week to change back is too much. I too was looking forward to Watchdogs as well but alas Ubisoft will never get my money again, I will never buy another new game with their name on it, used....maybe, but at least my $ will go to Gamestop or an eBay seller for a used item and not towards the bankroll of such a non caring, asinine group of people who couldn't give a rats *** about the customers who made them as big as they are today. The really disheartening thing is that the AC series was the only one that I enjoyed that had a good, long single player game/story line. The other good single player games like CoD and Ryse were great but left me very disappointed with only an 8-10 hour total experience, I mean, my God, I can do that easily start to finish in one sitting...for new gen that is just crazy and shows extremely lazy or unimaginative developers. It was a good ride UBI but it's time a lot of us got off this stubborn mule and look for a good horse....any other developers watching these posts...can you see the headlines "Red Dead 2 or Fallout the new generation hit captures fans for hours and hours of immersion without having to multiplay with children barely potty trained or Tweens that are just idiots".

darknightd
01-10-2014, 01:37 AM
As i haven't played the game in a while, other than to test out the Uplay connection fix that i ended up solving for myself, there are quite a number of bugs, glitches, and down right silly things that were implemented and/or taken out of the game that made ask myself why they even bothered.

I've copied and pasted posts i made in other threads as to what issues i've experienced with the game to date.

General bugs and glitches

First off, it has to be the constant, and persistent crashes.
The game will crash every single session played.
You could play it twice, or three times in separate sessions and it will crash regardless.
And those sessions last an average of two hours with the following message.

An error has occurred in the following application:
(CE-34878-0)
Assassin's CreedŽ IV Black Flag

Other bugs and glitches i have experienced on various occasions have been things like, losing out on full synchronization due to NOT being able to kill an enemy NPC while hiding in a bush.
In fact, before the enemy NPC gets close enough to me so i can try and kill him i get spotted and end up in a fight.
Other times i could be right behind an NPC without a single thing going wrong.
Also, sometimes when you try to use the swivel gun when boarding an enemy vessel, you have to press the circle button multiple times to get Edward Kenway to interact with it.
This happens even though you have an onscreen prompt telling you to press the circle button to interact with it.
Also, something similar happens when trying to open washed up loot packs.
You sometimes end up hiding behind it and whistling instead of actually opening it.

Ship battles​

Enemy NPC vessels seem to have homing cannon balls?
No matter what you do, or how fast your ship travels when trying to move out of the line of fire, the enemy vessel will always, ALWAYS, hit you.
The only exception i have seen so far is if there are large swells in the waves which causes you to drop, or raise, higher than the cannonballs.

Today i was in a multiple ship battle and destroyed the sails of one of the enemy ships.
What is the point of enemy ships (or NPC controlled vessels) having sails when its clear that they don't need them?
I ask because even though, as said, i destroyed the sails of the vessel, it did not slow it down and nor did it stop it from turning like a speedboat. And what kind of ship from that era, especially the frigates, can turn the way they do?
And this isn't the first time i've experienced this.

When trying to board a ship, i use the swivel gun first.
Why does the swivel gun projectile explode upon impact and yet only manages to kill 1 enemy NPC from a group, on some parts of the ship, and on other parts the projectile kills multiple NPCs.
And why is it that the on certain ship types, the captain is impervious to the swivel gun?
You can hit the ships wheel with the projectile and he will survive. You can hit the deck in front of him and he will survive. You can actually hit him and he disappears but then when you get on the enemy vessels deck to fight, you can see him fighting off your crew mates.
Again, this is seems exclusive to certain ship types.

Also, when boarding a ship and part of the mission is to cut the flag from the mast, Kenway will stop just short of getting to the top platform.
Most of the time you have to climb down slightly, move Kenway to the left or right, and then climb up again.
You may have to repeat this a couple of times before he is able to reach the platform and cut down the flag.

Ghost NPC's

These were abundant in AC3.
What I'm talking about are the phantom ships, or non playable characters that you see on the map but are not visible in your line of sight.
Not even when you are right in front of where they should be.
I tend to find this more apparent when sailing the ocean. Sometimes you will see on the map a castaway but you don't see them on screen.

Free running

Running speed seems laboured.
Sometimes when you are running and you try to scale, objects like a stack of crates or a fence, or if you try leaping off a buildings edge, your character will stop dead and look as though he is up against a wall.
I've had this happen on a few occasions now. Especially when chasing down those infuriating Shanty's.

I also have a major issue with how you are seemingly unable to climb a ships mast straight when trying to cut down a flag.
Sometimes you end up have to climb down just to climb up.

Uplay login

Based on what I've read, the day one patch for both PS4 and XBOne caused the following issue.
The constant and persistent repetition of the message that tells us that the game has lost its connection to Uplay.
This message that repeatedly pops up every 2 minutes or so has an affect on the games fluidity.
It will randomly hang at some points at worst and very briefly pause at best.
Surely a patch to stop this message repeating is needed as a temporary solution?
Or better still, stop the game from trying to connect to Uplay to begin with.

I just don't get the logic behind the need to have a message telling us that the game is unable to connect to the Uplay servers every two minutes even though you give us "a choice" to connect, or not, at the games home screen.
It's akin to asking someone if they would like a drink, them saying no, but forcing one on them anyway.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Yes, yes, yes, I agree Darknight. I too was a loyal and hooked fan of the AC series from day one, but this time around is too much especially when they try fixing stuff that isn't broken such as the social items nobody can find since the day UBI decided they were too easy & made them impossible to find. A few minor glitches such as dead floating enemies, or the ones that never moved or took damage, or even the time I fell thru into the bottom of a ship with an invisible roof and sides that I had to do a restart to get out of,...those I could live with, but the social items glitch which was not actually a glitch but a flat out human screw up that they took upon themselves to make and then ignore the thousands of complaints week after week to change back is too much. I too was looking forward to Watchdogs as well but alas Ubisoft will never get my money again, I will never buy another new game with their name on it, used....maybe, but at least my $ will go to Gamestop or an eBay seller for a used item and not towards the bankroll of such a non caring, asinine group of people who couldn't give a rats *** about the customers who made them as big as they are today. The really disheartening thing is that the AC series was the only one that I enjoyed that had a good, long single player game/story line. The other good single player games like CoD and Ryse were great but left me very disappointed with only an 8-10 hour total experience, I mean, my God, I can do that easily start to finish in one sitting...for new gen that is just crazy and shows extremely lazy or unimaginative developers. It was a good ride UBI but it's time a lot of us got off this stubborn mule and look for a good horse....any other developers watching these posts...can you see the headlines "Red Dead 2 or Fallout the new generation hit captures fans for hours and hours of immersion without having to multiplay with children barely potty trained or Tweens that are just idiots".since when was cod single player good since WAW

toolen22
01-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Your on your own, then. I for one enjoy the new game, despite the occasional glitch. The majority of the fans seem to agree with me. I think Ubisoft has done an excellent job with the AC series, and I would hate to see it go.

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Assassins Creed is ubi's diamond ! they are doing a good Job ! what the OP is suggesting Ludicrous !

DinoSteve1
01-10-2014, 02:53 AM
A long list of disappointments? From what I have been reading both here and on other forums the majority of people think ACIV is a vast improvement on AC3 and people are loving it.

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 03:29 AM
Its not like we've had a dearth of such threads already. Series is going downhill, you dont care anymore bla bla. So.. tl;dr.

inferno33222
01-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Bugs
Well, there was this one time I got stuck on a rock somewhere in Kingston.

Ship Battles
1) Sounds like you need improvement
2) Don't want swivel gun to be overpowered
3) Learn to climb better

Ghost Ships
1) They probable haven't loaded due to the game's draw distance

Free-Running
1) Learn to climb better

U-Play
1) Doesn't happen to me

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 05:26 AM
This one just caught my eyes:

And when i talk about loyal fans, i'm not talking about those who are die hard Ubisoft fans.
Those people do not reflect the vast majority of gamers out there as they buy into the company name more than they buy into the product the company sells.

The actual vast majority of "fans" out there probably doesnt give a **** and just buy the games on the fly. For any franchise, the number of real dedicated fans are always a minority. Lets not be in any kind of disillusionment here that the "h4rdc0R3" AC fans represent the majority. The people you see here in the forums are a minuscule fraction of ubisoft's actual market. The actual majority is always the non-fan crowd, who look at the cover of a game, see a few trailers and buy the game. It is the same for any franchise.

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
This one just caught my eyes:

The actual vast majority of "fans" out there probably doesnt give a **** and just buy the games on the fly. For any franchise, the number of real dedicated fans are always a minority. Lets not be in any kind of disillusionment here that the "h4rdc0R3" AC fans represent the majority. The people you see here in the forums are a minuscule fraction of ubisoft's actual market. The actual majority is always the non-fan crowd, who look at the cover of a game, see a few trailers and buy the game. It is the same for any franchise.

Thank you! Holy Buddha, I HATE it when people try to speak for others. Or for the most part, the vast majority of fans.

darknightd
01-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Bugs
Well, there was this one time I got stuck on a rock somewhere in Kingston.

Ship Battles
1) Sounds like you need improvement
2) Don't want swivel gun to be overpowered
3) Learn to climb better

Ghost Ships
1) They probable haven't loaded due to the game's draw distance

Free-Running
1) Learn to climb better

U-Play
1) Doesn't happen to me

There is always one.

Ship Battles
1) Sounds like you need improvement } Perhaps, but i'm not the only one to have complained about this. There are other sources if you use Google.
2) Don't want swivel gun to be overpowered } Who's talking about overpowering it? I'm talking about basic physics of an area of effect weapon.
3) Learn to climb better } Right. I don't see how just pressing up on the controller equates to poor climbing in general. This is just Kenway simply climbing up the mast until he seemingly hits and obstacle and stops climbing. This in turn requires you to climb down slightly before moving left or right and attempting to climb up again.
More times than not, you find yourself having to do this at least twice. I've only ever seen Kenway climb the mast to its top without this happening once.

Ghost Ships
1) They probable haven't loaded due to the game's draw distance } So the draw distance is so bad that even when you are right on top of the indicated marker shown on the map we still have to wait for the device to load the NPC?
No, sorry, that's just incorrect.
It was in Assassin's Creed III also and that too is a known issue that can be found through various sources on the net.

Free-Running
1) Learn to climb better } Free running = Learn to climb better? Really?

U-Play
1) Doesn't happen to me } Lucky you. Many people have had this and is made worse by the fact that there is a +99 friends limit cap.
Another factor in why this happens is down to your email address being undefined.
Why i don't know as when you creat a Uplay account you have to register an email address in the first place.
It makes especially frustrating that you cannot this issue is that be resolved unless you do one of two things.

1) Use a PS3 and a copy of Assassin's Creed 3 in order to define the email address you used to set up a Uplay account in the first place. (can't remember if it was available in earlier versions)

2) Create a new Uplay account, which you will need tech support to sort out for you as once you set what you thought should have been your Uplay account details in the game, you will be unable to change them as Uplay will not work.

inferno33222
02-04-2014, 05:30 AM
There is always one.

Ship Battles
1) Sounds like you need improvement } Perhaps, but i'm not the only one to have complained about this. There are other sources if you use Google.
2) Don't want swivel gun to be overpowered } Who's talking about overpowering it? I'm talking about basic physics of an area of effect weapon.
3) Learn to climb better } Right. I don't see how just pressing up on the controller equates to poor climbing in general. This is just Kenway simply climbing up the mast until he seemingly hits and obstacle and stops climbing. This in turn requires you to climb down slightly before moving left or right and attempting to climb up again.
More times than not, you find yourself having to do this at least twice. I've only ever seen Kenway climb the mast to its top without this happening once.

Ghost Ships
1) They probable haven't loaded due to the game's draw distance } So the draw distance is so bad that even when you are right on top of the indicated marker shown on the map we still have to wait for the device to load the NPC?
No, sorry, that's just incorrect.
It was in Assassin's Creed III also and that too is a known issue that can be found through various sources on the net.

Free-Running
1) Learn to climb better } Free running = Learn to climb better? Really?

U-Play
1) Doesn't happen to me } Lucky you. Many people have had this and is made worse by the fact that there is a +99 friends limit cap.
Another factor in why this happens is down to your email address being undefined.
Why i don't know as when you creat a Uplay account you have to register an email address in the first place.
It makes especially frustrating that you cannot this issue is that be resolved unless you do one of two things.

1) Use a PS3 and a copy of Assassin's Creed 3 in order to define the email address you used to set up a Uplay account in the first place. (can't remember if it was available in earlier versions)

2) Create a new Uplay account, which you will need tech support to sort out for you as once you set what you thought should have been your Uplay account details in the game, you will be unable to change them as Uplay will not work.

I want to apologize. I was out of line when I passive-aggressively attacked you, telling you to "learn to climb better", etc. But I honestly have not experienced most of the glitches or things you are talking about. My overall lack of glitches gives me no right to ridicule your experience with them.

I want to readdress your points.

Ship Battles
1. I agree the enemy ships do aim very well, but I have had them miss me. I have been out of range or so far in front of them that they miss me. I think where you're getting confused is because I'm pretty sure that the enemies can aim like you do. By that I mean that they can move their line of fire left or right independent of their ship orientation (if you remember in AC3 the only way to aim was to steer the ship). So I think that while the red warning area only goes out from the ship at a 90 degree angle, the ship can, in reality, aim forward or back.
2. It's not a simulator. The developers made the ships turn easier so the game would (hopefully) be more fun, something that I think enhanced the experience. Also, the sails can be partially or even mostly torn and the ship will still move. It's really just for looks. Only when they reach the Red area on the health bar and are de-masted will they stop.
3. I still stand by what I said about the swivel gun. If they did what they really could then you could clear a Man O' War in a couple shots.
4. I agree that sometimes the masts can be strange to climb. I'd advise running up the side ropey things instead of climbing straight up if you're having trouble.

Ghost Ships
Sometimes the ships do glitch, but I find this mostly happens with Castaways/Shipwrecked Sailors. Sometimes they will glitch underneath the ocean. Sometimes you can still rescue them if you look down. This is something the devs should look into fixing.

Free-Running
I honestly don't know what you mean here. Yes sometimes I will hit a wall strange, but I found that it is usually when it is something that I actually can't climb. For example, I'm trying to climb a wall, and I realize that I'm underneath a part without any windows. If I move left to where there are windows I can climb normally.

What I meant by "learn to climb better" was that sometimes I can find myself frustrated with the game, but I realize that it actually isn't the game's fault, but mine, for assuming it would do something when I gave the improper input. For example, I was watching my brother play AC2 when you still had to hold A/X to free run, and he back-ejected off a wall he was climbing and yelled "stupid game!", with a bit more colorful language. He couldn't see it in his rage, but what actually happened was that he accidentally let go of A or maybe tapped it on accident and Ezio jumped. I know that this might not be your exact situation, but try to look at how you are playing, objectively, instead of just blaming the game. If you find it is the game, and you may have already found that, I don't know you and I'm not trying to pass judgements, then it is a valid complaint. The reason I bring this up is because I have not experienced this problem at all.

Uplay Login
This sounds incredibly unfortunate. Try emailing one of the mods or tech support. I have not had this issue, and I am thankful for it.
I'm sorry I was an *** before, I wasn't thinking right.