PDA

View Full Version : If you were in charge of keeping/removing features from AC

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Let's pretend for a moment that the original plan of Assassin's Creed being a simple trilogy happened. Pretend there was no Brotherhood, no Revelations and no Black Flag.

The jump from AC1 to AC2 was huge, the second game added a ton of new features. Subsequent sequels have felt less groundbreaking due to the yearly releases. Every new game only adds a couple of new features, with varying degrees of success.

Let's say AC2 had been directly followed by AC3. All the ideas and energy that went into making the mid-quels would have gone into making the jump from AC2 to AC3 feel as big as the jump between AC1 and AC2. If you were in charge of making the grand finale to the Desmond trilogy, what features from the games that we currently have would you have kept and which ones would you have tossed out the window? (Do not suggest new, non-existing features, only the ones we currently have.)

My list:

Keep:

-Dynamic weather

-Domestic animals and children (just make them less annoying)

-Distraction bombs

-Alternate scenarios for certain assassinations depending on your actions. There's only one example of this: in ACB's Romulus lair in the Vatican when you chase down the corrupt priest. You get two completely different cut scenes depending on if you stab him or toss him off the balcony.

-Different seasons

-Multiplayer

-Treerunning

-Tough archetypes like Janissaries and Jaegers

-Stalking zones

-Whistling & corner takedowns

-AC3 combat system

-Treasure maps

-Outfits that affect gameplay

Wouldn't bother:

-Hunting

-Brotherhood recruits. While fun, it definitely made the games too easy.

-Naval. Fun, but better saved for a separate franchise.

-Den Defense

-First person stuff

-Hookblade

-Lockpicking

-Social/community challenges

That's all I can think of right now. :p

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2014, 02:56 AM
I'm confused.

Are we in charged of keeping/changing ideas for1 more sequel of the finale, or are we talking about improvements from AC:2 to AC:3. You were probably clear, but I just got back from work and my head is stressed.

And are AC:4 changes included?

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm confused.

Are we in charged of keeping/changing ideas for1 more sequel of the finale, or are we talking about improvements from AC:2 to AC:3. You were probably clear, but I just got back from work and my head is stressed.

And are AC:4 changes included?

I meant that if we only had three AC games in total, 1, 2 and 3, and instead of introducing all kinds of new features in Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag like we have now, all the best features from those games would have gone into AC3 instead. Which ones would you have wanted to put into the grand finale of the AC trilogy and which ones would you not have bothered with? Since we have so many people saying naval doesn't belong in Assassin's Creed or how bombs were a **** idea, how ACB and ACR weren't innovative enough etc. etc. If the games that introduced those features didn't exist but you could still choose the best ideas, which ones would you have kept for the grand, epic conclusion of Desmond's trilogy?

I hope that's clear enough.

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I agree with basically everything in the OP, but I'd switch MP and hunting. I hate tacked-on MP, and that's exactly what it's been; tacked-on. I'm especially annoyed that it has historically included story information, so if you want to get the whole scoop you have to either grind through a copious amount of MP crap or wait a few months and sift through the AC wiki to find any tidbits the kind souls there may have gleaned from their MP experience.

Hunting, however, kind of had to be there for Connor, since his entire culture was based on it. It was very badly implemented though. Overly-predictable animal AI, the general crappiness of the bow and "free-aim" system, QTE's removing any sense of danger, useless tools (snares and bait, who actually used those since they could only catch rabbits and raccoons?) sort of ruined it. Aside from the actual hunting gameplay being poor, there was pretty much zero financial motivation to hunt anyway, since there was nothing useful to spend your money on. A couple of the outfit dyes were nice, but beyond that, what was there? You got the coolest weapon (Assassin tomahawk) from the start.

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 01:18 PM
I agree with basically everything in the OP, but I'd switch MP and hunting. I hate tacked-on MP, and that's exactly what it's been; tacked-on. I'm especially annoyed that it has historically included story information, so if you want to get the whole scoop you have to either grind through a copious amount of MP crap or wait a few months and sift through the AC wiki to find any tidbits the kind souls there may have gleaned from their MP experience.

Hunting, however, kind of had to be there for Connor, since his entire culture was based on it. It was very badly implemented though. Overly-predictable animal AI, the general crappiness of the bow and "free-aim" system, QTE's removing any sense of danger, useless tools (snares and bait, who actually used those since they could only catch rabbits and raccoons?) sort of ruined it. Aside from the actual hunting gameplay being poor, there was pretty much zero financial motivation to hunt anyway, since there was nothing useful to spend your money on. A couple of the outfit dyes were nice, but beyond that, what was there? You got the coolest weapon (Assassin tomahawk) from the start.

The MP in ACB was still very simple and didn't have any story elements beyond "Abstergo is training Templars". It may have been tacked-on, but the concept worked surprisingly well and you didn't lose out on anything if you didn't bother with it. Starting with ACR they began attaching separate story threads in the MP and I definitely agree that shouldn't happen.

Hunting may have been natural for Connor considering his culture, but it always felt more tacked-on than MP for me, like they were trying to copy Red Dead. Whereas RDR had a more balanced economy system and hunting required some actual skill, AC3's version of hunting was extremely simplistic and felt more like a distraction technique than a fully thought out gameplay feature. You constantly had rabbits and deer darting across your path as if to scream "HEY LOOK OVER HERE, I'M A THING YOU CAN CHASE, DON'T YOU WANNA CHASE ME?". Animals in general were a great addition to the game, but I wouldn't have minded if we could only hunt the animals that could directly attack us.

DinoSteve1
01-09-2014, 02:10 PM
If we were in charge of keeping/renewing features from I and II for III there would be no

Dynamic weather
-Domestic animals and children (just make them less annoying)
-Alternate scenarios for certain assassinations depending on your actions. There's only one example of this: in ACB's Romulus lair in the Vatican when you chase down the corrupt priest. You get two completely different cut scenes depending on if you stab him or toss him off the balcony.
-Different seasons
-Multiplayer
-Treerunning
-Tough archetypes like Janissaries and Jaegers
-Stalking zones
-Whistling & corner takedowns
-AC3 combat system
-Hunting
-Brotherhood recruits.
-Naval. Fun, but better saved for a separate franchise.
-Den Defense
-First person stuff
-Hookblade
-Lockpicking
-Social/community challenges

Now if we are talking about features from all the games that should or shouldn't be in the next Assassin's Creed game, I can only think of two things

1) Sync Rate needs to go
2 ) Den Defence needs to stay gone.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
The jump from AC2 to AC3 was perfect.
I wouldnt want anything from past games in there..i would say take away naval just bc i didnt enjoy it, but it added variety.

pacmanate
01-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Just take away Naval, this is an Assassin's Franchise, not ship simulator.

If Naval becomes a staple I'm losing hope.

salman147
01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Lockpicking private rooms would be cool.

Gladiaattori1500
01-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I would invent a cool thing called social events and make them super super super rare, because I think that everybody would love to travel around the map for 400 hours to find these super cool shiny blue iscons that are completely useless.oh yeah, and I would definitely add a bronze trophy for finding three of these super cool, awesome events that are as useful as a pile of elephant ****. Because I think that that would be the coolest and most fun thing in AC history.And because SURELY it is the most fun thing ever, to walk around a giant map for a super awesome blue icon, and SURELY nobody would find it annoying, because they are so SO awesome

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
The MP in ACB was still very simple and didn't have any story elements beyond "Abstergo is training Templars". It may have been tacked-on, but the concept worked surprisingly well and you didn't lose out on anything if you didn't bother with it. Starting with ACR they began attaching separate story threads in the MP and I definitely agree that shouldn't happen.

Yeah, if there was no story content behind it (or at least story content that's totally unrelated to the SP stuff) I wouldn't take issue with it. As it's developed by a different studio and it hasn't gotten much more than a facelift since ACB, the argument that it significantly takes away from SP resources doesn't really fly.

Hunting may have been natural for Connor considering his culture, but it always felt more tacked-on than MP for me, like they were trying to copy Red Dead. Whereas RDR had a more balanced economy system and hunting required some actual skill, AC3's version of hunting was extremely simplistic and felt more like a distraction technique than a fully thought out gameplay feature. You constantly had rabbits and deer darting across your path as if to scream "HEY LOOK OVER HERE, I'M A THING YOU CAN CHASE, DON'T YOU WANNA CHASE ME?". Animals in general were a great addition to the game, but I wouldn't have minded if we could only hunt the animals that could directly attack us.

Well, like I said, the implementation was really bad. But without hunting, there would have been even less to do in the frontier (not that it was a great diversion in its AC3 form) so I still think it needed to be there. If it had been beefed up, with better animal combat and AI, a more balanced economy, and a functional free-aim system (how the hell am I supposed to line up a good shot if he puts away his bow when my reticule drifts off-target?) it could have prevented the frontier from feeling so barren and empty.

I would invent a cool thing called social events and make them super super super rare, because I think that everybody would love to travel around the map for 400 hours to find these super cool shiny blue iscons that are completely useless.oh yeah, and I would definitely add a bronze trophy for finding three of these super cool, awesome events that are as useful as a pile of elephant ****. Because I think that that would be the coolest and most fun thing in AC history.And because SURELY it is the most fun thing ever, to walk around a giant map for a super awesome blue icon, and SURELY nobody would find it annoying, because they are so SO awesome

4 realzies!