PDA

View Full Version : Should throwing knives be an automatic one hit kill?

talljesper
01-08-2014, 09:11 PM
This has no doubt been bought up before, but I think they should be regardless of the enemies "level" (i.e. should have the same effect on a lowly sentry, as they (should) do on an elite papal guard!). Of course this could well be case with them since the series has had at least three sequels since I last played it. It's just something that has bugged me about the series since ACII.

Also I hope the dev's at least get feedback from this so I can also say this: STOP MAKING THIS PROMISING SERIES INTO COD, WITH YEARLY UPDATES!!!!

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Thank you for this "STOP MAKING THIS PROMISING SERIES INTO COD, WITH YEARLY UPDATES!!!!”and for the whole thread.
I’m really sick of the lack of realism. I know they want to make some enemies harder than others but it’s just not making sense. It’s not fun when you shoot someone in the head for example and they don’t die because they’re a final boss or some big guard. And yes, the series is getting more reductive with each entry, It’s aging because of favoring quantity over quality and the lack of innovation and originality.

Wolfmeister1010
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Although I want to punch anyone who says AC is like COD in the face, I do agree that throwing knives should not be one hit kills.

Freeaiming was very beneficial to AC4, as it allowed for us to do away with the unrealistic stats of guns and make it largely skill based, where even the weakest gun could kill with one shot if aimed at the head. Freeaiming should have also been used with the knife. But then again..maybe not, since they kinda balanced the fact that it was a one hit kill by only allowing you to carry one at a time.

Yeah, nevermind, it actually is not that big of a deal. They only allow you to carry one. It would actually be something worth worrying about if you were allowed to carry, say, 10 one hit kill knives.

dxsxhxcx
01-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Although I want to punch anyone who says AC is like COD in the face, I do agree that throwing knives should not be one hit kills.

this notion needs to come from somewhere, if some people think this is way is because something in the game lead them to believe that...

on topic: if free aim is available I don't think it should be 1HKO, only if we hit the enemy's head

Wolfmeister1010
01-08-2014, 10:51 PM
this notion needs to come from somewhere, if some people think this is way is because something in the game lead them to believe that...

on topic: if free aim is available I don't think it should be 1HKO, only if we hit the enemy's head

Literally everyone's only reason for saying that is because it is annual release. The similarities end there.

talljesper
01-08-2014, 10:59 PM
I think that throwing knives should be a one hit kill as I said above, however there should be a hard limit of about six, if only to force you to use you use them sparingly. I do agree that free aiming is beneficial to pistols allows you to potentially weaken and or delay a specific unit, whereas say the throwing knives are alot more useful when making a get away when being chased (side note: You should be allowed to kill civilians and have them react negatively against you, pushing you out of hiding place's even attacking you (non-lethally?) when pushed far enough, but that really is an entirely another topic!)

It's not a big deal, but alongside eagle vision a pre-natural ability to kill with any type of bladed weapon is arguably an assassin trait.

Hans684
01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
With a skill and upgrade system(for the protagonist) the throwing knives can be what you want ;)

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Wellll... you could say they're always a one hit kill in AC4 because Edward always hits them in the face. But yeah, the higher level enemies should take more hits. I found it interesting that in AC2 guards in Venice took two knives while in Florence took one. Maybe they had better armor or something, or could it be that it was just because it was a later game area?

Anyways, it should only be a one shot in certain circumstances or on certain enemies. Maybe if the next game brings back Armor, at least for enemies, throwing knives would be a one shot if you hit them in an area where there isn't any armor either by free aiming to hit their neck or something, or quickfire throwing it into their back. Just something like that.

I really want to see throwing knife free aim utilizing the same animation Ezio used on the two guards in the AC:B cinematic trailer.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2014, 03:11 AM

Freeaiming was very beneficial to AC4, as it allowed for us to do away with the unrealistic stats of guns and make it largely skill based, where even the weakest gun could kill with one shot if aimed at the head. Freeaiming should have also been used with the knife. But then again..maybe not, since they kinda balanced the fact that it was a one hit kill by only allowing you to carry one at a time.

Yeah, nevermind, it actually is not that big of a deal. They only allow you to carry one. It would actually be something worth worrying about if you were allowed to carry, say, 10 one hit kill knives.

I disagree. I think throwing knives deserves free-aiming AT LEAST. It was utterly useless 95% of the game and it doesn't even have a tool-counter animations, let alone a double tool kill.

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 03:20 AM
I say make it like ac1 I saw it as start off with 5 knives eventually gain more

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 03:54 AM
Throwing knives should give one-hit kills except against heavily armored archetypes (brutes and captains). It was really stupid in AC2 when you hit some rooftop guard with a knife and they just kinda stumbled a bit like it was a minor inconvenience.

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Throwing knives should give one-hit kills except against heavily armored archetypes (brutes and captains). It was really stupid in AC2 when you hit some rooftop guard with a knife and they just kinda stumbled a bit like it was a minor inconvenience.

No the crappy about that was how sometimes it one shot them then others it didn't

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 04:39 AM
No the crappy about that was how sometimes it one shot them then others it didn't

Like I said above, guards in Venice were tougher and took two knives, while the guards in Florence and other starting areas of the game take one knife to kill. This is weird because throughout the game you never increase the damage of throwing knives. I guess the guards have more health to go against your better weapons, but throwing knives aren't improvable. Either they forgot to give throwing knives more damage than health of the Venice guards, or they wanted it to be like this in AC2.

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 04:41 AM
Like I said above, guards in Venice were tougher and took two knives, while the guards in Florence and other starting areas of the game take one knife to kill. This is weird because throughout the game you never increase the damage of throwing knives. I guess the guards have more health to go against your better weapons, but throwing knives aren't improvable. Either they forgot to give throwing knives more damage than health of the Venice guards, or they wanted it to be like this in AC2.

Tbh I thought it depended on whether u were stealthy or not cause I remember one shoting some Venezia guards

pirate1802
01-09-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I noticed that too. Sometimes the rooftop guards would die of one throwing knife. And sometimes they'd just stumble and then detect me and a chase would ensue. Irritating!

I think as others have said, the armoured archtypes should be 2-3 hit kills, but others should stay one hit kill.

phoenix-force411
01-09-2014, 05:09 AM
I stopped paying attention to throwing knives after ACB. In ACIII, it was all Tomahawk and gun.

Dev_Anj
01-09-2014, 05:13 AM
We should just be allowed to free aim any projectile based weapon. Also, why not give arrows, knives etc an arc?

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 05:23 AM
Tbh I thought it depended on whether u were stealthy or not cause I remember one shoting some Venezia guards

I don't think that's the case. I replayed AC2 quite recently.

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 08:23 AM
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've ever used throwing knives in an AC game except for the double kills in Brotherhood. They could be more useful if they were given free-aim, but then again that might make them TOO useful unless they were our only long-range weapon.

But no, I don't think it's an issue that they're a one-hit kill weapon in AC4 since you can only carry one and it's more of a hassle than it's worth to even acquire one.

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 08:28 AM
They need to be thrown overhand. Seriously...

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 08:30 AM
They need to be thrown overhand. Seriously...

Part of the reason I didn't use them in AC2 and beyond was because Ezio/Connor/Edward looked so silly throwing them :p (I know Connor's were sleep darts or something but it's the same animation). At least Altair occasionally threw them overhand if he drew them from his shoulder sheathes.

itsamea-mario
01-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Not really, Throwing knives aren't that good as weapons really, i have some and i reckon i'd have to be pretty lucky to get a one hit kill, assuming i could a, hit where i'm aiming and b, actually hit, with the point.
with like the type the assassins mostly seem to use, it's really unlikely that a torso shot would kill someone instantly, maybe the heart, if it even managed to penetrate that far, maybe the head, but the skull is kind of in the way, the neck might be the best bet, but that's a pretty hard shot, and if they're wearing armour, no chance.

People think they're really good because OMGNINJASAREAWESOMELOL.

But then again, what do i know, i'm some loser on the internet.

DinoSteve1
01-09-2014, 10:09 AM
I liked them because they give me a silent kill, and I liked the crossbow for the same reason.

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Not really, Throwing knives aren't that good as weapons really, i have some and i reckon i'd have to be pretty lucky to get a one hit kill, assuming i could a, hit where i'm aiming and b, actually hit, with the point.
with like the type the assassins mostly seem to use, it's really unlikely that a torso shot would kill someone instantly, maybe the heart, if it even managed to penetrate that far, maybe the head, but the skull is kind of in the way, the neck might be the best bet, but that's a pretty hard shot, and if they're wearing armour, no chance.

Realistically speaking, it's probably unlikely that a throwing knife would one-shot a person, but this is AC we're talking about. As long as they don't have a system where you can target specific body parts or temporarily incapacitate enemies without killing them, it makes more sense for throwing knives to be one-shot kills.

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Part of the reason I didn't use them in AC2 and beyond was because Ezio/Connor/Edward looked so silly throwing them :p (I know Connor's were sleep darts or something but it's the same animation). At least Altair occasionally threw them overhand if he drew them from his shoulder sheathes.

He did? Oh god I forget so many things. :c

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 12:25 PM
He did? Oh god I forget so many things. :c

Yeah, about one time out of three he'd sling a knife out of those little sheathes on his right shoulder with an overhand stroke.

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Yeah, after having seen a real tomahawk throwing competition once, I kind of feel like action movies/video games severely overestimate the effectiveness/accuracy of thrown weapons in general. But since this is a series where we leap from 40-foot cathedrals into haybales on the regular, I'm OK with a little suspension of disbelief as long as it looks good and isn't OP.

talljesper
01-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I can agree with that.

Kagurra
01-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, about one time out of three he'd sling a knife out of those little sheathes on his right shoulder with an overhand stroke.

I'm actually starting to remember it now. Lol. Still not exactly what I have in mind from the AC:B trailer where it spins vertically in the air.