PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III Naval Combat is the most realistic Naval Combat...

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Why? Aside from Water Spouts, Rogue Waves, and lightning in ACIV....

In ACIII:
-Any kind of ship can be devastated if hit correctly, mostly at the bow of the ship.
-Revealing enemy powder storage and shooting it can devastate the ship and destroy it.
-Swivel gun can actually miss and the farther away the enemy is, the less chance of hitting it unlike in ACIV where it's perfect every time. Plus, it needs to be reloaded.
-Enemy ships do not fire volleys consecutively as cannons do not have an auto-fire feature.
-Chain Shot actually does destroy enemy ships' sails and it incapacitates them unlike in ACIV where they can still move regardless of their sails.
-The crew actually does reload cannons unlike in ACIV where they sit and stand around.
-Your ship actually shows damage on the ship's deck along with some small flames.
-Wind actually impacts speed and direction. Sailing against the wind slows down your ship's speed tremendously. ACIV does have this mechanic, but it's hardly noticeable.
-Waves in ACIII are much more cumbersome when it comes to trying to aim your cannons, and they're much bigger. I saw the entire bottom of a Man O' War.
-Sound effects for cannons and swivels are very noticeable and sound realistic.
-Mortars are super dangerous and they create a wave full of metal by the Forts in ACIII.
-Lastly, your sails actually move unlike the current gen ACIV. ACIII does not discriminate.

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2014, 06:44 AM
-The enemies ships consists of AI's all over the ropes and sails performing realistically.
-Dead crews are apparent on your ship.
-More diverse missions (battling with a fleet of 8+ allies) (rogue waves are an actual enemy) (battles in storms actually makes a difference)
-The land/islands/rocks looks so much gorgeous in AC:3.

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 06:48 AM
-The enemies ships consists of AI's all over the ropes and sails performing realistically.
-Dead crews are apparent on your ship.
-More diverse missions (battling with a fleet of 8+ allies) (rogue waves are an actual enemy) (battles in storms actually makes a difference)
-The land/islands/rocks looks so much gorgeous in AC:3.

Your crew can't die in ACIII I believe. I never saw dead bodies. And yes, the land and rocks are more realistic. Don't forget about the water mines.

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Aren't there water mines in AC IV too? (fire barrels) ?

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2014, 07:00 AM
Your crew can't die in ACIII I believe. I never saw dead bodies. And yes, the land and rocks are more realistic. Don't forget about the water mines.

Definitely the water mines!

But anyway, are you sure about that? I remember gagging over dead crew members next to my cannons and the severely injureds behind the deck on my last playthrough. And that was only a few days ago.

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 07:01 AM
Aren't there water mines in AC IV too? (fire barrels) ?

There's a difference between them. Watermines come in like 10. Exploding one will cause a chain of events.

EchoFiveKilo
01-08-2014, 07:13 AM
It definitely looked better in AC3. When firing volleys the cannon balls when flying through the air, look like they are actually being fired, whereas in AC4, it kind of just looks like a few balls are being lobbed, they fly slowly, kind of like when those enemies on Nintendo 64 yoshi would throw those bombs.

Sound in AC3 is also much better, and the swivels in AC4 seem to have an auto-loading feature. Modern day battle tanks dont even auto-load yet, at least not on a wide scale yet.

DinoSteve1
01-08-2014, 07:21 AM
I hated navel combat in AC3, I only ever played the missions I had too, but I love it in ACIV its so much fun.

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 07:27 AM
It definitely looked better in AC3. When firing volleys the cannon balls when flying through the air, look like they are actually being fired, whereas in AC4, it kind of just looks like a few balls are being lobbed, they fly slowly, kind of like when those enemies on Nintendo 64 yoshi would throw those bombs.

Sound in AC3 is also much better, and the swivels in AC4 seem to have an auto-loading feature. Modern day battle tanks dont even auto-load yet, at least not on a wide scale yet.

Lol Auto Fire Swivel for the Elite upgrade was just unrealistic.

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 07:46 AM
You're right on all accounts, but realism wouldn't have served a game that focused heavily on the naval gameplay. Things like long, laborious reload times, low maneuverability, and enormous waves, while fun for singular linear missions, would have become really annoying after having to cope with them for several hours on end.

I agree with you on most of the immersion details though. The sound effects in III were better, and the crew behaved more realistically in a lot of cases. That stuff would have been nice in AC4, but on the other hand, I wasn't really bothered by its absence.

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Yeah, sometimes thins can't be too realistic or it would be disturbing or complicated.