PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a 20-part AC4 multiplayer strategy guide – would love feedback!

WiNGSPANTT
01-08-2014, 04:59 AM
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if you know anything about me (other than how masterfully I place parentheses) but I'm in the midst of publishing an extensive (20,000+ words) Assassin's Creed strategy guide for multiplayer. Originally I was going to compile everything into a single, digital-release book, but I've decided to post it chapter-by-chapter instead. I've been releasing one new chapter a day, and might still put together a single PDF download later, but for now I'm doing it live.

Here's the index for all currently released chapters: Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag Multiplayer Strategy Guide (http://www.toptiertactics.com/20776/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-multiplayer-strategy-guide).

And here's the chapter index for what I'm planning to cover:

Part 1: Identifying Targets with the HUD (basic)
Part 2: Identifying Targets with Abilities and Behavior
Part 3: Identifying Targets with Advanced Techniques
Part 4: Making Your Approach (timing)
Part 5: Making Your Approach (spacing and tactics)
Part 6: Identifying Pursuers (basic)
Part 7: Identifying Pursuers (advanced)
Part 8: Stunning Pursuers (hard stuns)
Part 9: Stunning Pursuers (soft stuns)
Part 10: Running from Pursuers
Part 11: Mastering Game Controls
Part 12: Score Strategy & Score Denial
Part 13: Abilities Guide (personal abilities)
Part 14: Abilities Guide (NPC-based abilities)
Part 15: Abilities Guide (AOE-based abilities)
Part 16: Abilities Guide (ranged abilities)
Part 17: Abilities Guide (perks)
Part 18: Abilities Guide (kill streaks)
Part 19: Abilities Guide (loss bonuses)
Part 20: Abilities Crafting Guide

As of this post, part 6 is already live, so the whole thing should be done by the end of January. If you have any thoughts on what's up there or what should be included please let me know... cheers!

phoenix-force411
01-08-2014, 06:45 AM
I've always loved your videos on AC MP tips. Maybe a chapter on approaching pursuers when they're affected by abilities.

SquirrelInDaSky
01-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Finally there is a guide i will be able to recommend to people who have questions regarding MP. I am terrible at explaining mechanics even tho i know what i am doing.
I have met quite a few people who asked me for advice on how to get better at MP, so at 1 point i was planning to write some sort of guide, but i am just too lazy to do it.

I think i might have a suggestion for your guide tho. How about you add a chapter about "exercises" that could potentially improve one's playstyle?
For example: Observation training.
A "student" makes a set with Morph and plays a couple of sessions in a purely defensive playstyle. Find a blendgroup in the middle of the map and morph it, pay attention to personas around you. The aim of the exercise is not to win a game, but to learn how players move compared to NPCs.

I can come up with more of theese, i think. PM me if you are interested.

Ysanoire
01-08-2014, 09:23 AM
I know you, I subscribe to your channel and I may or may not have a WingspanTT shrine in my room, depending on whether you're easily creeped out.

One quick comment on what you wrote in chapter 2

"This is obvious, but NPCs don’t kill, stun, use abilities, taunt, or teabag"

There's one exception - bodyguards stun. I feel it needs to be mentioned because it's hella easy to think "oh that guy just stunned someone, kill him, kill him now!" and I definitely killed my share of NPCs that way (as well as gotten my share of lures). If you see someone walk like a robot to their pursuer, stun and serenly walk back to the blendgroup, chances are, that's not a real person.

Other than that I can't think of anything, but I think Squirrel's idea is great.

redka243
01-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Great initiative and thank you. Im having a hard time accessing your site from a mobile browser with 3g connection. It always times out. Ive managed to read 1 and 2 so far. What do you mean by "haybales dont typically emit smoke"? Are you talking about smoke bombs or is there sme kins of visual clue that someones in the haybale or was it just a joke? Looking forward to reading more.

Nevofix
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
I've read all six parts before you made this post and I have to say it is a very good guide so far. i don't know how you will explain some of the other parts, but you're doing a good job with clear explanations. I would definitely advice new players to read it (actually everyone should read it, especially the part "only run if you're about to get poached"). Good job, but like Ysanoire said, add something about Bodyguard because this is an exception to, actually, a lot. I guess you're also going to make a part about how to counter Bodyguard?

WiNGSPANTT
01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
I know you, I subscribe to your channel and I may or may not have a WingspanTT shrine in my room, depending on whether you're easily creeped out.

One quick comment on what you wrote in chapter 2

"This is obvious, but NPCs don’t kill, stun, use abilities, taunt, or teabag"

There's one exception - bodyguards stun. I feel it needs to be mentioned because it's hella easy to think "oh that guy just stunned someone, kill him, kill him now!" and I definitely killed my share of NPCs that way (as well as gotten my share of lures). If you see someone walk like a robot to their pursuer, stun and serenly walk back to the blendgroup, chances are, that's not a real person.

Other than that I can't think of anything, but I think Squirrel's idea is great.

Very good point... that's definitely a big oversight and something I myself have relied on before. I will definitely update this.

And yeah redka that was just a joke re: Smoke Bombs. Squirrels, let me see if there is something I can do about that.

redka243
01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Well there is acutually a way to find players in haystacks: only one player can be in a haystack at a time. Apparently ubi doesnt want us rolling in the hay together lol. I believe some abilities can be used (but not thrown) from haystacks also. Might be worth mentionning. I think you can actually emit a smoke bomb from a haystack. Lol.

Snapdragon5213
01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
hello again its snappy coming to you with this great info i've learned though experience! OK so did you know your ability's, death streak, and kill streak all carry over to your other ability sets if set up correctly!!
ex; ability set one .ex; ability set 2
1.tripwire bomb 1.tripwire bomb
2.bodyguard 2.time phase
3.blender 3.overall cool-downs
4.determined 4.sixth sense
5.revelation 5.revelation
6. x2 loss streak 6. x2 loss streak
OK so you'll notice that " 1-5-6" remain the same, well if i were to set down the tripwire bomb in ability set #1 and then hold select and A and change it to ability set #2 the tripwire would remain and wouldn't disappear, know you can also use this with your kill and loss streaks!!! so activate you Revelation or score x2 then you can switch to any ability set with the same streak and after you change sets it will stay active, giving you the opportunity to use a static ability set such as ex: ability set 1 "until you activate your kill streak" then switching to a more offensive stun class with ability's such as disguse, glimmer, time phase, smoke bombs, disruption, firecrackers, ect?! all great ability's to have once you activate revelation!! great for death match and manhunt!

Nevofix
01-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone, hi WiNGSPANTT. I'm back and I just read part 7. Maybe you should change something under the title "Identifying pursuers by behavior" (you made a typo in that title btw). It's not always the case that they follow you. Sometimes I try to figure out in which direction my target is moving to find his/her target. Then I just take place on a bench or in a blending group between my target and his/her target. Something else I would add, is that when you're walking away from 1 pursuer, you might walk/run into the arms of another pursuer...
EDIT: Good video about Animus Hack btw.

Dente superbo
01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Ingenious job WiNGSPANTT. I love Your guides and wise-funny videos.

Btw I have for You a proposition for Chapter 21 - Mastering Nonconformity Play (and Win;))

(below one from my ordinary AC4 Wanted session*)

http://images.tinypic.pl/i/00487/w706h6fxswoc.jpg

* Tip - it's not works in Wanted sessions with SquirrelI :(;)

EzioerikAC3
01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
I really liked the crafting guide, thanks!

M0UTAFIS
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM

thats gold. I love this pic.

M0UTAFIS
01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
also, great work with the guide. keep it up. im passing it on to some people im getting interested in ac mp.

WiNGSPANTT
01-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Very cool, Snap. I remember this being a thing in ACR or AC3 as well... not the ability switch thing (though I'm sure it was in 3) but the "you can activate more than one streak while working towards another"

hello again its snappy coming to you with this great info i've learned though experience! OK so did you know your ability's, death streak, and kill streak all carry over to your other ability sets if set up correctly!!
ex; ability set one .ex; ability set 2
1.tripwire bomb 1.tripwire bomb
2.bodyguard 2.time phase
3.blender 3.overall cool-downs
4.determined 4.sixth sense
5.revelation 5.revelation
6. x2 loss streak 6. x2 loss streak
OK so you'll notice that " 1-5-6" remain the same, well if i were to set down the tripwire bomb in ability set #1 and then hold select and A and change it to ability set #2 the tripwire would remain and wouldn't disappear, know you can also use this with your kill and loss streaks!!! so activate you Revelation or score x2 then you can switch to any ability set with the same streak and after you change sets it will stay active, giving you the opportunity to use a static ability set such as ex: ability set 1 "until you activate your kill streak" then switching to a more offensive stun class with ability's such as disguse, glimmer, time phase, smoke bombs, disruption, firecrackers, ect?! all great ability's to have once you activate revelation!! great for death match and manhunt!

WiNGSPANTT
01-09-2014, 01:40 AM
This is hilarious, do you mind if I post this to my FB/Twitter?

Ingenious job WiNGSPANTT. I love Your guides and wise-funny videos.

Btw I have for You a proposition for Chapter 21 - Mastering Nonconformity Play (and Win;))

(below one from my ordinary AC4 Wanted session*)

* Tip - it's not works in Wanted sessions with SquirrelI :(;)

Dente superbo
01-09-2014, 08:50 AM
This is hilarious, do you mind if I post this to my FB/Twitter?

Of course, yes.

Ysanoire
01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm curious about the 'Mastering Controls' section, I imagine there could be some new stuff for me there, but I'm not sure if it's going to be entirely relevant to my mouse and keyboard setup.

WiNGSPANTT
01-10-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm curious about the 'Mastering Controls' section, I imagine there could be some new stuff for me there, but I'm not sure if it's going to be entirely relevant to my mouse and keyboard setup.

Primarily it's about a lot of the smaller nuances of the controls, including elements of the controls most players do not ever use or do not know about. For instance, how would the average player know that the hook blade-based chase breaker leap (introduced in ACR) is in the game? How would players know under what circumstances they can drop Smoke at their feet or drop it over an edge? Which actions preculde other actions, and why?

I think a lot of people just learn "X to kill, RT to run, LOL!" and that's about it. Also for PC the controls are still relevant as it's more about how to use the more subtle control options than it is about the exact button mapping or physically pressing the buttons.

SquirrelInDaSky
01-10-2014, 02:12 AM
Btw the "long-jump" on the corner chasebreaker is described in one of the loading screen tips. Still worth mentioning tho.
You should deffinitely mention the "slow walk" technique where you push your analog stick slightly to look like a glitched NPC.
Also, i heard that you don't go from running to walking animation right away, there is a jogging animation too that you don't always see, but other players do. Thats important to remember when truning round corners. You better test that tho cos i am not sure.

SquirrelInDaSky
01-10-2014, 02:14 AM
Oh also you can add a "multiplayer etiquette" subsection where you tell kids about all the stuff that drives people crazy, and ask them not to do it (unless in an extremely competitive lobby).

WiNGSPANTT
01-11-2014, 02:00 AM
Not sure what you mean by etiquette?

SquirrelInDaSky
01-11-2014, 06:12 AM
Like a certain code of behaviour you have to follow in order for everyone else to have a fun stress-free experience.
Being polite, not overusing gun and taunting, not running for no reason. Just tell them how not to be an a.ss and annoy others too much.

redka243
01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Interesting read today. Do you know of any video tutorials on drop stuns in aciv? Would like to see this in action.

WiNGSPANTT
01-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Squirrel you must not know me if you think I'd ever advise less taunting or less Pistol use haha

SquirrelInDaSky
01-12-2014, 04:18 AM
Yeah i got shot by you in one match more then i got shot in a whole week ;D

redka243
01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Ranged weapons can be a good idea when faced with a lobby made of one "alpha" player much better than you and several bad players. If you get the alpha player as contract, shoot him asap and move on to easier prey. If you suck with knives it could work well.. Think you talked about a similar tacitic in your wanted tutorial squirrel. Lol.

SquirrelInDaSky
01-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Ranged weapons can be a good idea when faced with a lobby made of one "alpha" player much better than you and several bad players. If you get the alpha player as contract, shoot him asap and move on to easier prey. If you suck with knives it could work well.. Think you talked about a similar tacitic in your wanted tutorial squirrel. Lol.

Yeah, if you are competing with someone, then shooting him is a good idea. Pissing people of is a legit strategy in competitve games.
Not everyone can handle that tho, so it would be nice to not overuse gun in casual lobbies)

WiNGSPANTT
01-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Hell, when I get a nasty player as my contract I'll lock them with the Pistol and hold it on them for 10, 20, 30 seconds just to waste their time.

redka243
01-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Whats missing maybe is mode specific sections. Like on manhunt a typic strategy is to try to
stun your pursuer and run away and hide again (thats what i do anyway)...
i lost a masterfully done manhunt yesterday where on the defenders were
stunning us multiple times. They were typically all very close and would time phase for a stun then each one used smoke bomb on us while we were
down or just about to get up. Several times we got stunned multiple times in a row. I was playing with 3 experienced players too... Beging alway prey requires some different tactics than regular play.
So a manhunt guide, domination guide and aa guide would complete this well.

borderline82
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Hell, when I get a nasty player as my contract I'll lock them with the Pistol and hold it on them for 10, 20, 30 seconds just to waste their time.

I wish I had a like button :)

CasualCreed
01-13-2014, 09:42 PM

I do this with knives if people are camping the roof:)

redka243
01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Can you hold knives on someone like a gun to make a noise anf make them
panic them release or cancel the throw??

CasualCreed
01-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Can you hold knives on someone like a gun to make a noise anf make them
panic them release or cancel the throw??

You can aim with knives, yes :)
-Just move to cansel (I press shift on PC )

Ysanoire
01-14-2014, 04:06 AM
Primarily it's about a lot of the smaller nuances of the controls, including elements of the controls most players do not ever use or do not know about. For instance, how would the average player know that the hook blade-based chase breaker leap (introduced in ACR) is in the game? How would players know under what circumstances they can drop Smoke at their feet or drop it over an edge? Which actions preculde other actions, and why?

I think a lot of people just learn "X to kill, RT to run, LOL!" and that's about it. Also for PC the controls are still relevant as it's more about how to use the more subtle control options than it is about the exact button mapping or physically pressing the buttons.

I've read it now, and yeah, it's all relevant. I guess you could add somewhere the tip for total beginners about needing to mash the assassinate button as you approach not just press it (unless maybe you mention it somewhere else that I didn't notice). Because... I did not know that when I began XD that's actually probably the first bit of info I walked away with from your videos.

The only things that are not relevant to my controls are Squirrel's suggestion to slow down like an NPC and the idea to stun people when they have their fingers off the kill button. Since I have my kills in my left click, I never ever ever have my finger off my assassinate button ever. Except when I need to swap abilities. Because that requires me to press enter. Someone please tell me I missed something and it's possible to re-map because that is bloody ******ed.

EDIT:

So I thought about the problem with the enter button being impossible to remap and I went and created a macro for my uber awesome gaming mouse that triggers the ability swap with one click and lets me toggle ability sets with buttons I normally use for hand and leg until I accept.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/YsaNoire/Random%20crap/b75adc49-8cc3-4503-bc47-db708280c0a2_zps17e22206.jpg

That's not cheating right? XD

joose_2
01-15-2014, 04:08 AM
Love this guide. I think it's perfect for average or newish players looking for something to take them to the next level. If you want feedback, it'd be awesome to see more complicated tactics (and possibly with a little clip here and there to demonstrate?). But super awesome, looks like a lot of work went into the guide. :)

Ysanoire
01-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Section 13

"Glimmer will not work on foes who are using Vision or Revelation."

I don't know about Vision, but Glimmer actually does take the red glow off you.