PDA

View Full Version : Are players getting overly competitive these days?

DarknessRasm
01-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Is it me or do players get way too competitive year after year in AC multiplayer games?

For example, after reaching top 100 for the unlocks I finally decided move on and complete the challenges again before Ubi decides to reset them again.

So here I thought that getting the Assassinate challenges and accolades out of the way first would be a great idea as I don't play it that much and for some reason a prestige 7 found it offensive that he was my first blood kill of the match followed by a death taunt for the challenge.

This dude literally started PMing me on PSN saying "Don't ever taunt me again" to which I answered if he was mad in a trolling way.... and which led to him challenging me to 1v1s when I clearly am not that competitive and was playing for fun while completing challenges.

I ended up stating that being on the top 100 didn't mean anything for I don't really consider myself as talented and competitive as most of the people out there, didn't have anything to prove to him and led him to reply "Only your death!".

Then he proceeded to leave my session, so I didn't give a damn and went to do some customizations to my characters and back into ASA for more challenges.

Ended up finding him again in a new session so everytime he spotted me he would just knife or SB me for kills and guess what.... every single kill was for 100 points, truly ridiculous.

He ended up doing around 6k by killing others too and his last message was like "Is that all?", like I was doing between 1k-4k since score wasn't all that important and to which I replied "Yep, and by the way those 100 point kills were top skill grade", which led to his silence.

So what is your opinion on the matter? Do players get overly competitive as new AC games come out or are these specimens only found in certain game modes?

Localist2012
01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
People like it in every game. Some people really don't have a life outside of their competitive gaming and it's very serious business. I guess, whatever makes them happy.

joose_2
01-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Looks like you found that needle in the haystack.

Death_Waitress
01-08-2014, 10:56 PM
That poor child... Half of me really wants to know his PSN ID just so I can get a kick out of his raging. Ragers are literally the reason why I love playing online. I was once playing manhunt in AC3. And I did fairly well, nothing too special. I think I went like 11-3 with like 9k. This dude proceeded to message me (during the game) saying: "WHY U HACK" and then sent me another string of messages saying stuff like "YOU SUK RECTUM" and I vividly remember this one "I hate you with every ounce of my being". I sent him a friend request. Needless to say, he rejected my friendship.

But honestly, I think people who take games too seriously are my favorite breed of people. Because you can literally FEEL their rage from across the TV screen.

DeanOMiite
01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
People get competitive whenever they think they're good at something, games, sports, music, whatever. Doesn't matter how much other people care, they just need to pat themselves on the back. I think the leaderboard plays into it a little bit because it actually ranks you, and it makes people honestly believe they're one of the top 100 people...notice I say "people" and not just "players"...in the world. When I run into idiots like that I just laugh. I mean...I don't blame people for being a LITTLE competitive, whenever any of us are playing we obviously want to win....but maybe draw the line where it starts affecting your blood pressure hahah

ReaperSaga
01-10-2014, 04:42 PM
It's just ridiculous in domination, how all people on the opposite team already leaves if you get two zones at the beginning, or domination later. Especially all prestige players are the ones first leaving if they see they can't win. The ladder should just be buried, it's just making things worse.

woodbok
01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
A lot of people take the clan ladder far too seriously also. I know a clan who wont play others in a scrim if they are not in the top 10 of the ladder.

Ysanoire
01-10-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't think the situation described shows someone being overly competitive. If they were being competitive they'd have tried harder to win. This is just a case of someone being a bit of a jerk [so I can't say "shower" in French can I say "jerk"? ] on top of being overly sensitive.

It's part of the reason I only taunt people if they know me at least a little. People may take it as more of an insult than it really is.