PDA

View Full Version : Can Ubisoft simply not keep up with their own games anymore?

pacmanate
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Watch Dogs has been delayed from 2013 to 2014
The Crew has been delayed from Q1 2014 to Q3 2014
The Division has been delayed from 2014 to 2015

I guess this is sort of random information but 3 next gen games have been delayed already from Ubisoft. Why do you guys think this is? I'm leaning towards them all having small teams?

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I think that is a good sign. That indicates they are not rushing with the games.

dxsxhxcx
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
..or that they're putting too many resources in other places.

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
...in which case I'm okay with it.. lol

DinoSteve1
01-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Maybe if they dialled back the yearly Assassin's Creed games.

pacmanate
01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
I think that is a good sign. That indicates they are not rushing with the games.

But at the same time it could mean they just don't have the resources...

IWGCJoeCool
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM
i read that because Watchdogs got delayed, it put a major hurt on Ubisofts 2013 last quarter, and thus the year. if it were Electronic Arts, Watchdogs would have been out on schedule, now matter how bad it was, and probably shooting the legs out of their next big money maker.

economics usually cuts the worker-bee force anyway, not the brains. still, i give Ubisoft cred for the announced reason for the delay....expectations just became higher.

JC

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 02:13 AM
But at the same time it could mean they just don't have the resources...

True, but then they are delaying it to compensate for it, no? So its all good lol. It would have been bad if they were adamant on releasing them on time even though they're stretched on resources.

AdamPearce
01-08-2014, 02:25 AM
My guess is that they don't want their own game to make concurences themselves. I doubt Black Flag sales would've been as good if W_D came out this November. Same for The Crew, the sales may be overshadowed by W_D...then same thing with The Division.

Basically it's just a economic strategy to sold the games and make more profit with it. It may sound hash putting it this way ''oh its alll 4 the $$$'' but it's actually a really good strategy, much much much much better than the 50% budget going to the Marketing and 50% to the Game. Also, this way, the game have a little more time to be developed and Ubisoft fill with awesome games trought the whole year and not only on the End of it.

AC4 > W_D > TCrew > The Division > AC5 > W_D2...

Yay !

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Ever since gta v came out I've been happy with delays in my opinion shows that's there's more for the company to add in

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 05:08 AM
If you see in recent times, most delayed games have turned out to be good (I mean the ones delayed for a while, not years. Colonial Marines and Duke Nuken doesnt count!) GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider.. all were delayed and all turned out to be awesome. I'm not the least bit worried about these delays. It gives me time to catch up with my backlog anyway!

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 05:09 AM
If you see in recent times, most delayed games have turned out to be good (I mean the ones delayed for a while, not years. Colonial Marines and Duke Nuken doesnt count!) GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider.. all were delayed and all turned out to be awesome. I'm not the least bit worried about these delays. It gives me time to catch up with my backlog anyway!

Agree with u 100%

Kagurra
01-08-2014, 05:13 AM
I'm glad they delayed Watch Dogs. I don't want a game with such potential to turn out to be a buggy POS like GTA Online. They have time to iron out bugs and work with the new hardware of the XO/PS4.

And I knew they would delay The Division. It's following in the exact same shoes as Watch Dogs, announce times and all.

Kagurra
01-08-2014, 05:15 AM

I really disagree with you. GTA V was such a letdown, and Bioshock Infinite was literally the weakest of the series. Insanely boring combat and environments, and a cluster**** of a story. Go back and play even Bioshock 2 and you will have MUCH more fun.

Can't speak on Tomb Raider, although I don't get why they're remaking a game a year after it came out with "HD".

Also, my bad for the double post. Didn't scroll up far enough in time to fit it into my other post.

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 05:19 AM
I really disagree with you. GTA V was such a letdown, and Bioshock Infinite was literally the weakest of the series. Insanely boring combat and environments, and a cluster**** of a story. Go back and play even Bioshock 2 and you will have MUCH more fun.

Can't speak on Tomb Raider, although I don't get why they're remaking a game a year after it came out with "HD".

Also, my bad for the double post. Didn't scroll up far enough in time to fit it into my other post.
I haven't played the others but I have played gta v and it was really fun only thing I'm mad about are those stupid collectibles why do they have you find alien parts yet barely give you a hint where they're located

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 05:24 AM

Well I was going by people's reactions. Everyone seems to sing ballads in praise of GTA V so I assumed.. Bioshock Infinite.. well yes the combat was boring but the story.. the single greatest story I've seen in videogames. But even if you disagree, there's hardly anything in there that seemed halfbaked or unfinished, ala AC3, right? I agree though, I think overall, as a game, Bioshock 1 was much better. Comstock is no match for the greatness that was Andrew Ryan, who was Haytham material (Comstock was like Cesare)

Can't speak on Tomb Raider,

Good, better not. Unless you want me to bash yer head in :p

although I don't get why they're remaking a game a year after it came out with "HD".

The reason: $$$. I'm not interested in it either, because I played on PC which is quite close to the HD remake, and they changed Lara's face. I don't want to play as Barbie Croft. If they keep this doll-like face I'm not that much interested in the sequel either.

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 08:00 AM

Well, delays usually only help technical issues unless they're on such a time crunch that whole chunks of the game are left out. While I was a little disappointed with GTA5's story, the delay did nothing to help or hurt it; it wouldn't have mattered if they delayed it to 2020, the story would have been the same. But the game was pretty much mechanically flawless (GTAO notwithstanding, it was a separate launch) and the delay probably did help to ensure that that was the case.

Speaking of GTA5 though, I can't help but feel that that W_D was delayed because of it. Because releasing a GTA clone in the same launch window of an actual GTA game would be suicide. You can't go head to head with a financial juggernaut like GTA and expect to do as well as you would anytime else. I bet Ubi corporate were pissing themselves when GTA5 was delayed into their tentative W_D launch window. Yves: "Uh, let's go ahead and delay this one, guys, for y'know, polish and stuff..."

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 08:10 AM
And also because they had Black Flag slotted to release as well? I mean I'm no business expert but wouldn't they have better chance of performing well if they released at different times? For example if W_D had released back then I'd have had to choose between it and AC4. Now I can get both.

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 08:13 AM
And also because they had Black Flag slotted to release as well? I mean I'm no business expert but wouldn't they have better chance of performing well if they released at different times? For example if W_D had released back then I'd have had to choose between it and AC4. Now I can get both.

This too, but W_D and GTA are the exact same genre (open-world modern third-person-shooter). They'd be in more direct competition, and anyone looking for that type of experience is probably going to jump at a beloved, bestselling franchise that's been around for years as opposed to a new IP released by a company that doesn't have the greatest reputation right now due to their milking of AC. Plus, AC doesn't have nearly as much hype built up around it now as GTA does, because we've been inundated with AC games since 2009. Any GTA game that comes out WILL sell more copies than any AC game that comes out in the same window. AC4 might have bit into W_D sales a bit, but GTA was the big contender this year.

Kagurra
01-08-2014, 08:31 AM

Yeah, I was debating what to spend my time with. I'd be fine with it releasing right now though, I'm not really doing anything atm.

I haven't played the others but I have played gta v and it was really fun only thing I'm mad about are those stupid collectibles why do they have you find alien parts yet barely give you a hint where they're located

If you go on the rockstar website they tell you where every collectible is under your account or something. I used videos for most of them, spent like a day trying to figure out which one I missed. Turns out there was a cavern with 3 different collectables in it, and I thought there were only 2.

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I was debating what to spend my time with. I'd be fine with it releasing right now though, I'm not really doing anything atm.

If you go on the rockstar website they tell you where every collectible is under your account or something. I used videos for most of them, spent like a day trying to figure out which one I missed. Turns out there was a cavern with 3 different collectables in it, and I thought there were only 2.
Including the space parts for the space car

jfonty
01-08-2014, 08:35 PM

I guess this is sort of random information but 3 next gen games have been delayed already from Ubisoft. Why do you guys think this is? I'm leaning towards them all having small teams?

I'll wager the above titles have all been delayed in order to pump the resources into yearly AC games, seriously the scriptwriting in Black Flag is lacking, turns out I'm just a pirate looking for some coin but has to do real Assassins favours because I stepped on their toes.....huh?

Yes I like playing the game despite not being able to access the fleet with more than 100 on my friends list, (PS4) leaving the game partially gimped, yes I will get the next AC game, but not day one and not until it is fully working that's for sure.

Put it this way....I would not have bought AC4 had I known it was like this for me.

Good game but too much sailing, a pirate game tagged on to the Assassin's Creed franchise.

BTT

All delayed to pump out another AC

pacmanate
01-08-2014, 08:37 PM

They might have been awesome but sales weren't exactly great for some of them... delays are hit and miss with sales.

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Watch Dogs was delayed due to extreme similarities with AC and they didn’t want this to affect that market of the other. They’re basically the same game in different eras of time. I saw this coming a million miles away.

Mr_Shade
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Some pretty wild speculations in here.. glad to see people have not stopped with the rumours and assumptions :)

thebudworth
01-08-2014, 08:47 PM
I think it's because Ubisoft care about their games too much to just put it out there in Beta mode like EA did with BF4. Ubisoft are the best game developers out there, I have faith.

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Watch Dogs was delayed due to extreme similarities with AC and they didn’t want this to affect that market of the other.

I highly doubt this.

They’re basically the same game in different eras of time. I saw this coming a million miles away.

That's not a bad thing at all.

pacmanate
01-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Watch Dogs was delayed due to extreme similarities with AC and they didn’t want this to affect that market of the other. They’re basically the same game in different eras of time. I saw this coming a million miles away.

Can't be the case, Watch_Dogs was worked on for 5 years, the fact they didn't meet deadline is a bit worrying though. It better be a good game, my hype has died down a lot. The more I see Watch_Dogs is "Press Square to do awesome stuff"

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
I highly doubt this.

That's not a bad thing at all.

It’s not a bad thing, that’s for sure. But I truly believe that selling two similar games that will obviously be bought be the same type of fans isn’t such a good idea. Especially when Watch Dogs has the potential to be a flagship title like AC. They don’t want one eclipsing over the other.

Can't be the case, Watch_Dogs was worked on for 5 years, the fact they didn't meet deadline is a bit worrying though. It better be a good game, my hype has died down a lot. The more I see Watch_Dogs is "Press Square to do awesome stuff"

This even validates my points because a game in development for 5 years and at Ubisoft who release an AC every year isn’t very likely, so whatever they say, I believe it’s a marketing idea. Maybe it’s both not meeting the deadline and not risking it. Perhaps it’s just no that good and they don’t want AC to steal it’s opportunity. Releasing it Q2 2014 is a perfect time cause there’s no AC games and AC fans are so eager for an AC game.

MasterAssasin84
01-08-2014, 11:55 PM

I think its a good thing because by ubi delaying these AAA titles it shows that they are putting in some care and attention ( TLC if thats what you call it ) I mean people including myself have high expectations for these titles .