PDA

View Full Version : Joystick problems maybe

sithgod66
08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
I played Il-2 and now have Forgotten battles. I love the game and find it really drags me into it. The only thing I find really frustrating is the control. Now this could well be the joystick which is why I am asking.

I have a logitech wingman pro. Had it a while now. It has force feedback.

There will be tension on the control which is good and i'll be lineing up on a Russian plane and usually as luck would have it just before getting my crosshairs on the plane the tension completely vanishes. Which makes me start a wicked barrel roll and then a few seconds on waggling my wings as I regain control of the plane. This is really frustrating and downright dangerous when attacking ground targets.

Is it something to do with the game or is it just Logitech make really bad joysticks?

If it is a bad joystick what do you guys recommend as a replacement?

Thanks

sithgod66
08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
I played Il-2 and now have Forgotten battles. I love the game and find it really drags me into it. The only thing I find really frustrating is the control. Now this could well be the joystick which is why I am asking.

I have a logitech wingman pro. Had it a while now. It has force feedback.

There will be tension on the control which is good and i'll be lineing up on a Russian plane and usually as luck would have it just before getting my crosshairs on the plane the tension completely vanishes. Which makes me start a wicked barrel roll and then a few seconds on waggling my wings as I regain control of the plane. This is really frustrating and downright dangerous when attacking ground targets.

Is it something to do with the game or is it just Logitech make really bad joysticks?

If it is a bad joystick what do you guys recommend as a replacement?

Thanks

ELEM
08-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Bad joystick. Any model Saitek is your best bet.

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as member!

http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Elem_Klimov/I-16_desktop.jpg http://img35.photobucket.com/albums/v107/Elem_Klimov/dhm_787_small.jpg

horseback
08-05-2004, 07:57 AM
It's the joystick. Logitech sticks are like the cars American Motors used to make; the concept was good, but in all but a very few cases, the execution left a lot to be desired.

Most Logitech sticks work great for the first few months, but after that, bad things seem to happen.

If you can handle the initial investment, I'd recommend a CH Products USB stick and pedals. That's going to run you about $200 US, but you'll never need to replace them, and they are very, very good, precise controllers. No FFB, I'm afraid, altho I've heard they're considering the idea.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Loc-Dog6
08-05-2004, 10:41 AM
I got the Saitek X45 a few hours ago and I'll tell you, it's a bit more complicated then my previous MS Sidewinder FFB2. This thing has so many key features that I can't tell you how happy I am right now.

For example, you get two rotary switches on the throttle you can use for trimming the rudder and the elevator.

Thank you Saitek.

It cost around 80-90 bucks.

sithgod66
08-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll certainly look into them.