PDA

View Full Version : Next game should feature Large scale Assassinations...

salman147
12-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Single Assassination missions that are expanded over a HUGE area (like Dishonored or Hitman Blood money) So that it allows the player to INVESTIGATE,explore,eavesdrop guards conversations to get an idea of how the target looks,look for clues or tail guards(on free will and not told by the game to go here and tail and,it should be reject-able by the player should he decide to play in his own way.) to get an idea of what the target does on his daily routine/schedule.I mean think about Assassin's Creed 1.Remember how we were offered a big map expanding over 1/3rd of a city and give free will of how we approach the assassination mission:we could eavesdrop,pickpocket,assassinate others as a favor for info.,or we could tail guards and eavesdrop and locate our target based on what clues the conversation among other two guards present.I mean,we were given complete freedom of how we tackle a mission.What I think is that AC1 had a brilliant idea of how an assassination contract should be designed but only got ruined due to some hand holding and over-repetitiveness.No other assassins creed games were like this.I mean,the closest the rest gams went was:tail this group and locate your target.But we don't know why we should tail this guy,I mean,we could tail other subordinates of the target can;t we?Why should we tail a specific group?
I hope the next game gets a better mission design.I know I sound like asking too much.But after 5+ years,a game should change by now...

(UPDATED)

Let me give an example with a mission design I thought of.That will clear things up:
Suppose u are given a contract to kill someone called 'X' who resides in a city,say Damascus.U know he lives in Damascus but u don't know the EXACT location.So to look for clues you begin walking among crowds and suddenly you hear two civilians speaking of some suspicious people one of them saw in a market called 'A'.Again you hear a city guard speaking to another guard about some criminal uprising near a school/madrasa (Islamic school).
Now,you can decide to head to market A or also check out the madrasah.If you choose A and head over to the market,you'll have to use eagle vision after reaching there and locate two suspicious armed people talking to each other.U will have to eavesdrop and tail them.They'll speak about gathering criminals as ordered by their 'superior'.But one of them will say that they don't have enough money to hire bandits.The other will reply that he has kidnapped the son of a wealthy aristocratic family and demanded money from them to use for hiring bandits.U can now beat and threaten them to know where they hid the kidnapped kid and also information about their 'superior' before killing the two guys to prevent their plans from taking effect and rescue the kidnapped boy from a security tight place and deliver him back to the family.Then you head out to look for this 'superior' guy and interrogate him after kidnapping him to know who he works for.The guy will reveal to be working for a Templar(who will turn out to be your target) and out of fear will reveal the location of several possible meeting places where the target usually comes at.U can check up on those places stealthily and kill the target as soon as he is revealed.Mission complete.
OR,instead of going to that market 'A' at the beginning of the mission,you can also take down the uprising criminals.They'll speak about their master who pays them.U will look for him and kill him not before knowing the target's location.Then you can go for the target and kill him.
That's my idea.An assassination should have many ways to complete it than rather the usual' 'go here,trigger eagle vision,locate your target.And kill him in your own way.''
I know it looks tedious but doesn't it increase replay value? And imagine how cool it'd be if of each and every mission was designed in various ways with different outcomes that'll affect your reputation and notoriety and also our payment after an ordinary hit.Combine that with RPG element of player customization adding a wide variety of gadgets and weapons with different ways to take out a target,and you get an awesome game....

oliacr
12-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Single Assassination missions that are expanded over a HUGE area (like Dishonored or Hitman Blood money) So that it allows the player to INVESTIGATE,explore,eavesdrop guards conversations to get an idea of how the target looks,look for clues or tail guards(on free will and not told by the game to go here and tail and it should be reject-able should the player decides to play in his own way.) to get an idea of what the target does on his daily routine/schedule.I mean think about Assassin's Creed 1.Remember how we were offered a big map expanding over 1/3rd of a city and give free will of how we approach the assassination mission:we could eavesdrop,pickpocket,assassinate others as a favor for info.,or we could tail guards and eavesdrop and locate our target based on what clues the conversation among other two guards present.I mena,we were given complete freedom of how we tackle a mission.What I think is that AC1 had a brilliant idea of how an assassination contract should be designed but only got ruined due to some hand holding and over-repetitiveness.No other assassins creed games were like this.I mean,the closest the rest gams went was:tail this group and locate your target.But we don't know why we should tail this guy,I mean,we could tail other subordinates of the target can;t we?Why should we tail a specific group?
I hope the next game gets a better mission design.I know I sound like asking too much.But after 5+ years,a game should change by now...
FreedomCry spolier....
Freedom Cry was similar to AC1 in one mission, where you had to do investigations. So its close I think

Fatal-Feit
12-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I had trouble reading that but I think I know what you mean. Personally, I think with the tailing aside, AC:IV did a great job of giving the players a good assassination sandbox with the story. Although, I prefer keeping a good coherent story over AC:1's freedom. In AC:1, it felt like you're the usual cold-hearted copy&paste hitman getting contracts and with a cliche betrayal..

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 06:50 PM
I'd have liked AC1's "investigations" more if they would give me information that was not largely unnecessary or possible to gain by other means. Like that eavesdrop mission in the first assassination in Damascus. It told me of a parkour route available through the courtyard just outside the assassination area. I had just discovered the route myself before that mission. So I gained jack. Same with missions that gave you locations of archers on rooftops. As they were in AC1, they were grimmicky and just there to give the player a sense of freedom. If they return I'd like them to actually be useful, like give me information not possible to gain in normal gameplay. Then I'd love it.

salman147
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
I'd have liked AC1's "investigations" more if they would give me information that was not largely unnecessary or possible to gain by other means. Like that eavesdrop mission in the first assassination in Damascus. It told me of a parkour route available through the courtyard just outside the assassination area. I had just discovered the route myself before that mission. So I gained jack. Same with missions that gave you locations of archers on rooftops. As they were in AC1, they were grimmicky and just there to give the player a sense of freedom. If they return I'd like them to actually be useful, like give me information not possible to gain in normal gameplay. Then I'd love it.

I mean assassination missions that are Huge and can be completed in many ways it's either by tailing guards and gaining target's info or stealing from other contacts which would state a meeting place where the target's gonna be or some random bits of info about where the target moves that can be learned from eavesdropping conversations among guards.But the mission shouldn't FORCE us to :tail this group and don't be detected or mission will fail or don't kill them,like that... But the game should allow us to proceed eve if we fail the tailing mission or mistakenly kill the two guards talking while tailing so that we are told to perform another investigation to get a better idea of the target.
In other words I mean we should have open ended investigations.

Hans684
01-05-2014, 06:12 PM
I mean assassination missions that are Huge and can be completed in many ways it's either by tailing guards and gaining target's info or stealing from other contacts which would state a meeting place where the target's gonna be or some random bits of info about where the target moves that can be learned from eavesdropping conversations among guards.But the mission shouldn't FORCE us to :tail this group and don't be detected or mission will fail or don't kill them,like that... But the game should allow us to proceed eve if we fail the tailing mission or mistakenly kill the two guards talking while tailing so that we are told to perform another investigation to get a better idea of the target.
In other words I mean we should have open ended investigations.

That can work if done correctly, but we also have to think about the setting, time period & story. I agree the series should go more like the Hitman series in term of assassination, stealth & investigation. That should be the build up for every [possible] stealth assassination unless history stand in the way.

DinoSteve1
01-05-2014, 06:19 PM
I think the way they should do it is to have many ways to obtain the information needed for the assassination like bribing, tailing, and mugging and you shouldn't be set some silly challenge like they did in AC1 to obtain the information.

dxsxhxcx
01-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I think the way they should do it is to have many ways to obtain the information needed for the assassination like bribing, tailing, and mugging and you shouldn't be set some silly challenge like they did in AC1 to obtain the information.

what silly challenge?

DinoSteve1
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Like when you had to go to the Assassin for information and he would then have you run around and collect flags to a timer. The mission should involve you collecting information not getting stupid flags.

adventurewomen
01-05-2014, 07:02 PM
There was large scale investigations & assassinations in AC1. I would like to see this style return in the future. Pretty much agree with everyone on this thread.

Science87
01-05-2014, 07:09 PM
I agree. We're supposed to be assassins here. I think over time this game has ditched that, especially with IV; I've only played 20% and I'm already losing interest because it's so repetitive, and don't get me started on the storyline. I think V should incorporate the investigations of I, the recruitment abilities of Brotherhood, and a female lead to change things up and give something new for fans to enjoy. This is really getting redundant in my opinion. I personally believe pirates were a horrible theme to choose because the concept of the Creed is not based on greed, money, and plunder. The concept of the assassins was that they were a family, and thus should be a team, not some greedy ****** who just wants to buy his wife back.

MnemonicSyntax
01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
I agree. We're supposed to be assassins here. I think over time this game has ditched that, especially with IV; I've only played 20% and I'm already losing interest because it's so repetitive, and don't get me started on the storyline. I think V should incorporate the investigations of I, the recruitment abilities of Brotherhood, and a female lead to change things up and give something new for fans to enjoy. This is really getting redundant in my opinion. I personally believe pirates were a horrible theme to choose because the concept of the Creed is not based on greed, money, and plunder. The concept of the assassins was that they were a family, and thus should be a team, not some greedy ****** who just wants to buy his wife back.

IV teaches the player the importance of the Creed and that money, greed or being a pirate isn't as important.

And Edward's not trying to buy his wife back. She never wanted him to go in the first place. It was Edward's idea.

Not every story starts out with the protagonist already being what he's supposed to be. Sometimes, the journey is the important part, as Edward learns at great cost.

PedroAntonio2
01-05-2014, 08:19 PM
It would be epic an mission where you are supposed to infiltrate a hude party like the Chinatown in Hitman Absolution. Three Templars are spread through the party and you need to find a way to Assassinate each one of them, you have the option to be stealthy and find a creative way to kill them in a creative way. I hate the Recruit Assassins, but they would be useful in something like it.

Imagine a party where your target is the middle of dozens of guards protecting him, hundreds of innocent people listeting to his speech. You can plan how to kill him, selecting a few Assassins to play as Snipers and shoot at the guards around him, select other Assassins to use weagons as obstacles in places where the target could run. You press a button and then the Assassin kill all guards, block all ways and the target starts to run, he don't have where to hide, then you Air Assassiante him.

PedroAntonio2
01-05-2014, 08:21 PM
It would be epic an mission where you are supposed to infiltrate a hude party like the Chinatown in Hitman Absolution. Three Templars are spread through the party and you need to find a way to Assassinate each one of them, you have the option to be stealthy and find a creative way to kill them in a creative way. I hate the Recruit Assassins, but they would be useful in something like it.

Imagine a party where your target is the middle of dozens of guards protecting him, hundreds of innocent people listeting to his speech. You can plan how to kill him, selecting a few Assassins to play as Snipers and shoot at the guards around him, select other Assassins to use weagons as obstacles in places where the target could run. You press a button and then the Assassin kill all guards, block all ways and the target starts to run, he don't have where to hide, then you Air Assassiante him.

DinoSteve1
01-05-2014, 08:22 PM
woo double post.

PedroAntonio2
01-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Sorry, I tried to edit and that happened. Thanks to the slow Internet in Brazil

LoyalACFan
01-05-2014, 09:46 PM
I agree, open-ended assassinations need to come back to the forefront. ACR and AC3 were abysmal on this front, and while AC4 was better, they still weren't great.

And one thing that must, MUST go away for this to work are the sync constraints. Almost EVERY assassination in AC4, while at least not as bad as AC3's "Press Square" cutscene kills, had a sync constraint attached to it that told you EXACTLY how to kill your target. Air Assassinate Du Casse. Air Assassinate Chamberlaine. Air Assassinate Charles Vane. Double Assassinate Burgess and Cochran. Air Assassinate Hornigold. Assassinate Rogers from a bench. Assassinate Roberts with the rope dart... I mean, aren't assassinations supposed to be about finding your own, superior approach? I know you don't HAVE to follow the constraints, but it shouldn't be "oh, you can do it however you want... of course, then you'd be doing it wrong."

pirate1802
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
I personally believe pirates were a horrible theme to choose because the concept of the Creed is not based on greed, money, and plunder. .

Totally true. Thats why we assassins don't consort with *****s, mercenaries and thieves... oh wait.

salman147
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
How would it be if there were dynamic assassinations that would take at different places with different level of security based on how and who you assassinate and how recklessly you play....
And who wants the ranking/promotion system from AC1 to return?
Remember how Al Mualim demotes u based on your breaking of tenants of 3 creeds of assassins...

DinoSteve1
01-07-2014, 05:39 PM
I remember before ACR came out I was saying that sync rate needed to be done away with and no one agreed, now everyone hates it.

dxsxhxcx
01-07-2014, 05:41 PM
How would it be if there were dynamic assassinations that would take at different places with different level of security based on how and who you assassinate and how recklessly you play....
And who wants the ranking/promotion system from AC1 to return?
Remember how Al Mualim demotes u based on your breaking of tenants of 3 creeds of assassins...

learn counter kills and other abilities as we advance in the game would certainly make things interesting...

if we ever be part of an organized Order like AC1's Order was again, don't have access to the hidden blade and other weapons until we reach a certain rank would also make sense...

DinoSteve1
01-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I think it would be cool if the difficulty of assassinations went up and down depending on how well you prepared for the assassination, for instance if you gathered all the information and maybe knocked off or subdued a few guard captains, you would have more options open in how you can assassinate your target, but if you didn't do anything you would have only one way, the hardest way.

salman147
01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I miss those awesome horses of AC1.....

DinoSteve1
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
or triggering an alarm for galloping on the horse.

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 12:13 AM
I miss those awesome horses of AC1.....

Que??? AC horses have traditionally been pretty terrible. Check out Red Dead or MGS5 and then get back to me ;)

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 12:15 AM
I remember before ACR came out I was saying that sync rate needed to be done away with and no one agreed, now everyone hates it.

You were right. The constraints weren't TOO bad in ACB, but they've been terrible afterwards.

HDinHB
01-08-2014, 12:45 AM
woo double post.

That's how epic it would be! :p

Totally true. Thats why we assassins don't consort with *****s, mercenaries and thieves... oh wait.

Snort. I wonder how many florins, akce, pounds and what have you I pickpocketed before I became a pirate. And I assume by *****s you mean courtesans, romani, or "dancers," right?

Que??? AC horses have traditionally been pretty terrible. Check out Red Dead or MGS5 and then get back to me ;)

The horses in Red Dead were very rideable and very pretty, but they were incredibly dumb. I must have parked him 50 yards from that railroad trellis while I was picking flowers and he still wandered over and fell in the canyon. On the other hand, you could shoot them.

reddragonhrcro
01-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Yeah horses in RDR were incredibly dumb,always hate it when i call for it then i have to run after it until it decides to stop.

LoyalACFan
01-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Yeah horses in RDR were incredibly dumb,always hate it when i call for it then i have to run after it until it decides to stop.

Their AI was annoying at times, but at least they did exactly what I wanted them to do 100% of the time when I was riding them. Unlike AC horses that get stuck on every freaking pebble they come across :p

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
I dont remember AC1's horse being that erratic but that is maybe because there was only vast open space?

Kagurra
01-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I feel like AC needs to be less "Gamey" for this to make a return (AC1) or be there in general... that's just me though. I don't really see it working the way AC is now even though I love 4.

I'm interested to see what they do with 5.

DinoSteve1
01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Ugh last time I heard the term "less Gamey" we ended up with ME3's ending.

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Ugh last time I heard the term "less Gamey" we ended up with ME3's ending.

HAHHHAHAHAHAHA I know right? I swear for the rest of my life I'll associate Less Gamey with ME3 ending lol

salman147
01-08-2014, 05:58 PM
What if the next game was like this:
Side missions range from Assassination contracts that tell about the the target's contacts to begin searching for targets.U can then go to the possible marked locations,and tail,or kidnap or intimidate or even bribe the contacts to reveal the target's current locations.Your notoriety will dynamically alter the security level around the target (meaning that the target will hire more guards to protect himself as u are notorious as a deadly killer and the target expects a possible assassination attempt like him)
Weapons will range from swords(single or dual),scimitars,axes,spears,blunt weapons,pistols,hidden guns,poison darts,crossbow with different bolts like poison or sleep bolts and normal bolts,fire arrows,rope arrows for climbing inaccessible locations,hook blades,carriable muskets,tomahawks,rapiers,knives,daggers,stilettos ,smoke bombs,poison bombs,trip wire bombs,trip-wire-traps etc...
Upgrades can be made with your contacts of black merchants,collecting blueprints etc. from Templar hideouts or forts etc.

salman147
01-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Let me give an example with a mission design I thought of.That will clear things up:
Suppose u are given a contract to kill someone called 'X' who resides in a city,say Damascus.U know he lives in Damascus but u don't know the EXACT location.So to look for clues you begin walking among crowds and suddenly you hear two civilians speaking of some suspicious people one of them saw in a market called 'A'.Again you hear a city guard speaking to another guard about some criminal uprising near a school/madrasa (Islamic school).
Now,you can decide to head to market A or also check out the madrasah.If you choose A and head over to the market,you'll have to use eagle vision after reaching there and locate two suspicious armed people talking to each other.U will have to eavesdrop and tail them.They'll speak about gathering criminals as ordered by their 'superior'.But one of them will say that they don't have enough money to hire bandits.The other will reply that he has kidnapped the son of a wealthy aristocratic family and demanded money from them to use for hiring bandits.U can now beat and threaten them to know where they hid the kidnapped kid and also information about their 'superior' before killing the two guys to prevent their plans from taking effect and rescue the kidnapped boy from a security tight place and deliver him back to the family.Then you head out to look for this 'superior' guy and interrogate him after kidnapping him to know who he works for.The guy will reveal to be working for a Templar(who will turn out to be your target) and out of fear will reveal the location of several possible meeting places where the target usually comes at.U can check up on those places stealthily and kill the target as soon as he is revealed.Mission complete.
OR,instead of going to that market 'A' at the beginning of the mission,you can also take down the uprising criminals.They'll speak about their master who pays them.U will look for him and kill him not before knowing the target's location.Then you can go for the target and kill him.
That's my idea.An assassination should have many ways to complete it than rather the usual' 'go here,trigger eagle vision,locate your target.And kill him in your own way.''
I know it looks tedious but doesn't it increase replay value? And imagine how cool it'd be if of each and every mission was designed in various ways with different outcomes that'll affect your reputation and notoriety and also our payment after an ordinary hit.Combine that with RPG element of player customization adding a wide variety of gadgets and weapons with different ways to take out a target,and you get an awesome game....