PDA

View Full Version : *Spoilers* Freedom Cry Mem 8 - Holy Crap, I'm Traumatized!

AngryRaisin
12-22-2013, 06:36 AM
I just finished Memory 8 where you go down in the sinking ship to rescue slaves. OMG. First the QTE's sucked. I never understand how we're supposed to know when to hold or mash and then the flooding/escaping part—geez louise that was intense! I could not find the way out and when I saw those poor guys hanging by their ankles—yikes. Like I said, I'm traumatized now! I wish I had not played that late at night. I had no idea it was coming.

But with all due respect to Ubisoft and the team, well done for representing such a horrific time in history. And I was glad to hear Ade talking about how sailing with Edward purely for the purpose of plundering was just not right for him.

AngryRaisin
12-22-2013, 06:37 AM
And I would love a whole game featuring Ade. Or at least more DLC, please!

DarktheMagister
12-22-2013, 09:17 AM
That was perhaps the best mission of Freedom Cry.....if not one of the better ones of all of AC4.

AngryRaisin
12-22-2013, 09:56 AM
I agree. To be challenged and moved like that by a freakin' video game is just beyond epic. I sincerely give them mad props. It affected me so intensely that I am still awake at 2am when I had almost no sleep last night and should have been in bed 6 hours ago! LOL

HiddenKiller612
12-22-2013, 02:07 PM
It was a great mission, and I felt vindicated killing the governor.

Toa TAK
12-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Best mission of the DLC by far. Heck, I would even say one of the best in the series.

Assassin_M
12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
it was REALLY moving. It's a VERY close second to Connor protecting the village in the Infamy as best AC series moment...

Toa TAK
12-22-2013, 07:01 PM
it was REALLY moving. It's a VERY close second to Connor protecting the village in the Infamy as best AC series moment...
Yes.

The music swelling, the camera slowly zooming out with the battle going on, everything about that moment was perfect.

Assassin_M
12-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Yes.

The music swelling, the camera slowly zooming out with the battle going on, everything about that moment was perfect.
AC sometimes really hits the nail right on the head with certain moments. The atmosphere, the sound effects, the music, the script, the Voice acting...

Both the Infamy's Village battle and Freedom Cry's slave ship rescue were amazing examples of this...

Never did I feel so helpless in a video game and actually cringe at my helplessness. seeing those people hung from their ankles and screaming for dear life...I tried to actually save them

MnemonicSyntax
12-22-2013, 07:05 PM
In Infamy, I liked how in that scene the hud elements were eventually removed from a certain point on, to emphasize the actual battle.

I'm not a stickler for "no hud immersion" but that was pretty cool.

Also, to my favorite Raisin... the only thing I felt "wrong" about the mission is there was no real sense of urgency, in the way of a timer or something. Though, that could very well be a good thing for many people, I'm on the fence about it. Still, an amazing mission.

Assassin_M
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
the only thing I felt "wrong" about the mission is there was no real sense of urgency, in the way of a timer or something.
I was thinking about that, as it happens. I really like timers and don't understand when people complain about them in Tombs..etc, but I felt like that sense was replaced with the atmosphere. The running water, the breaking ship, the screaming people. the sound effects were just superb and it gave me a good replacement for a timer as an induced sense of urgency.

HiddenKiller612
12-22-2013, 07:11 PM
In Infamy, I liked how in that scene the hud elements were eventually removed from a certain point on, to emphasize the actual battle.

I'm not a stickler for "no hud immersion" but that was pretty cool.

Also, to my favorite Raisin... the only thing I felt "wrong" about the mission is there was no real sense of urgency, in the way of a timer or something. Though, that could very well be a good thing for many people, I'm on the fence about it. Still, an amazing mission.
I felt a sense of urgency... I automatically felt like I needed to hurry, I mean... you're on a sinking ship. You need to hurry, at least I felt that way.. Which is part of why the mission was so good. I also felt horrible not being able to save everyone...

MnemonicSyntax
12-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I was thinking about that, as it happens. I really like timers and don't understand when people complain about them in Tombs..etc, but I felt like that sense was replaced with the atmosphere. The running water, the breaking ship, the screaming people. the sound effects were just superb and it gave me a good replacement for a timer as an induced sense of urgency.

I don't mind timers too much, and not that I really wanted one, but it was more like I could just stand there and not have anything happen. Maybe the water could rise up or something, and not just between "segments" but yeah, the environment and music was just incredible.

Made up for some of the Investigation Missions. Ugh.

Assassin_M
12-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Made up for some of the Investigation Missions. Ugh.
I liked those a lot :D

Maybe that's just the desperate AC I fan in me :|

Toa TAK
12-22-2013, 07:17 PM

Nailed it again. I think the mission had that sense of urgency all throughout. Immediately my mind was fixated on helping as many people as I could. The rising water and the calamity of the situation was enough.

It's interesting that you,Syntax, brought up a timer. Would've been cool to see that done, but it in my opinion, wouldn't be necessary as the scene already has you by the balls with the chaos.

MnemonicSyntax
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
I liked those a lot :D

Maybe that's just the desperate AC I fan in me :|

I am... argh. I can't type today it seems.

I like the Investigations. I hated the "Don't kill anyone during the Investigations" constraint.

Nailed it again. I think the mission had that sense of urgency all throughout. Immediately my mind was fixated on helping as many people as I could. The rising water and the calamity of the situation was enough.

It's interesting that you,Syntax, brought up a timer. Would've been cool to see that done, but it in my opinion, wouldn't be necessary as the scene already has you by the balls with the chaos.

I guess what I mean is that while I felt there was a sense of urgency, there was no negative side, like there would be if you were in a sinking ship in real life.

AngryRaisin
12-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I was glad there wasn't a timer. I swear the water was rising and I was panicking when I couldn't get the QTE's right and I was literally panicking that those poor guys were going to drown if I didn't get them freed. I would have failed repeatedly and had to go through it over and over and I don't think I could have handled it!

DinoSteve1
12-22-2013, 10:06 PM
wasn't the water level rising? I was sure it was, I thought it was the timer.

AngryRaisin
12-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Right? I swear it was, too and thought the same thing.

MnemonicSyntax
12-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Okay, so I just went back and checked. The water doesn't rise except when you have to climb out of the ship. However, the cut scenes are timed. I stood there, did nothing, and it went through the cut scenes until I had to escape the ship.

So it is on a timer of sorts, which doesn't make me question the 15 slave rescued requirement that the mission has.

DarktheMagister
12-22-2013, 10:52 PM
AC sometimes really hits the nail right on the head with certain moments. The atmosphere, the sound effects, the music, the script, the Voice acting...

Both the Infamy's Village battle and Freedom Cry's slave ship rescue were amazing examples of this...

Never did I feel so helpless in a video game and actually cringe at my helplessness. seeing those people hung from their ankles and screaming for dear life...I tried to actually save them

Those are great ones... besides those I can think of about 6 others that were really memorable to me.

1. Ezio and his brother climbing up to the rooftop at the beginning of AC2 and the pan out over Florence.
2. Ezio sailing out of Gelata Harbor while it gets engulfed in an inferno in the background.
3. Connor getting his first view of New York at the end of The Betrayal with the Pyramid rising up in the center of the city.
4. The assault on Monteriggoni.
5. Edward and Ade in the hurricane as they try to seize the Jackdaw for the first time.
6. Sliding under the log on Great Inagua for the first time to emerge on the small bridge in front of the cliff with the rainbow waterfalls.

DinoSteve1
12-22-2013, 10:57 PM
I also like the moment in ACR after Yusuf Tazim is killed and you storm the port (I think) and you can just walk through it while all the other Assassins kill everyone.

Shahkulu101
12-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Take it I was the only one that laughed at the guys hanging from their ankles?

Charles_Phipps
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM

Probably not the only one but certainly not my reaction.

I-Like-Pie45
12-23-2013, 01:02 AM

http://sanicole.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/spike1.jpg
Man, slavery ain't a joke, man.

Shahkulu101
12-23-2013, 01:02 AM

Probably not the only one but certainly not my reaction.

It was probably because I was spoiled beforehand so I wasn't hit square in the feels.

Assassin_M
12-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I laughed when Blackbeard died...we all have our moments

Shahkulu101
12-23-2013, 01:41 AM
I laughed when Blackbeard died...we all have our moments

Yeah but that was cheesy slo-mo. This was different, there's innocents screaming out for their lives - shackled up like animals and then there's me: laughing.

I-Like-Pie45
12-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Yeah but that was cheesy slo-mo. This was different, there's innocents screaming out for their lives - shackled up like animals and then there's me: laughing.

cause you a racist, man
http://www.biography.com/imported/images/Biography/Images/Profiles/L/Spike-Lee-9377207-1-402.jpg

Charles_Phipps
12-23-2013, 01:56 AM
I think it hit me harder because I used to be a competitive swimmer.

Drowning is a very real thing to me.