PDA

View Full Version : Something Wrong With AC *spoilers*

JumpInTheFire13
12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I haven't been posting much lately but I was playing AC4 last night and I realized something very disappointing. Now, don't get me wrong, I love AC4. It's one of my favorites in the series, and I think it's a huge improvement over AC3. However, I think there's an element that was a major part of AC1, but it has since vanished, and I think the absence of this element is what's preventing the series from being even more successful.

In a series about the protection of freedom, shouldn't the players feel free?

While the games are open world, it feels like the missions are very linear, and the players don't have a choice in how they wish to complete it but, rather, the game leads you on to complete the mission the way the developers wanted it to be completed. I know there have been several threads like this, but I have a specific example I'd like to share. In the mission where you have to assassinate Woodes Rogers, you must first kill an Italian diplomat (who was hilarious to listen to) and steal his clothes, so that you can then enter a party where Rogers is at while wearing the disguise.

This mission made me realize the series could be so much better if it had followed the formula that AC1 set out. Instead of being forced to steal the outfit and enter the party dressed as a diplomat, we could have been given the choice to handle the mission in whatever way we wanted. If we wanted to take to the rooftops and air assassinate Rogers, we could. If we wanted to make this easier and take out the guards prior to the assassination, or replace the guards with disguised Assassins, we could. There could have been an optional mission where we find the map that shows where the guards would be stationed, like in AC1. Or we could just walk in and start a massive brawl. Or, in a different earlier and optional mission, we could have took the disguise. Or maybe even find an underground tunnel or other secret entrance into the courtyard where the party took place.

What I'm trying to say is that the series has so much potential that is being discarded, and instead we are being given boring, linear missions. In future titles, I'd like to see a return to the form that AC1 so boldly created back in 2007. I doubt it will happen, but I just thought I'd share this with you all. Let me know what you think and feel free to give other examples from any of the games where you feel the potential for a brilliant, freedom-focused mission was wasted.

aL_____eX
12-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Sometimes Ubi's view on freedom is completely different to our view. So optional objectives are not that bad, if they just would allow you to play missions the way you want them to be and not force you into something. That means, some side objectives are cool and if they can be achieved easily, that's something productive. But as long as you're not the one who is responsible for the strategy and so the consequences a certain approach causes, you are not free. That's one thing that bugs me in every AC game, because I'm always aiming 100% and sometimes it's just frustrating.

DarktheMagister
12-22-2013, 01:12 AM
So what your saying is you'd like the data collection pre-assassination missions back?

yeah... I could go for that.

JumpInTheFire13
12-22-2013, 09:24 PM
So what your saying is you'd like the data collection pre-assassination missions back?

yeah... I could go for that.

Precisely. Then we could take on the main assassination missions however we wanted to, depending upon what data (and how much of it) we gathered before the assassination. So, basically, just like AC1.

DinoSteve1
12-22-2013, 09:29 PM
I think this is an area AC could takes notes from GTAV, for the heists you had to plan out the details, I'd love to see something like this in AC.

DarktheMagister
12-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Precisely. Then we could take on the main assassination missions however we wanted to, depending upon what data (and how much of it) we gathered before the assassination. So, basically, just like AC1.

Sometimes it does kind of feel like the newer Assassins are just coming up with the plan as they go along. Not a lot of pre-assassination planning going on.

Charles_Phipps
12-23-2013, 12:59 AM
I like running and stabbing myself.

DarktheMagister
12-23-2013, 02:09 AM
I like running and stabbing myself.

When I was young.... people who liked to run and stab themselves were detained for their own health.

phoenix-force411
12-23-2013, 02:54 AM
At least it's not as bad as ACIII's constraints where nothing made sense unless it was sensible. Seriously, chasing Thomas Hickey while having to kill 2 guards was frustrating enough. I had to keep tripping Hickey to kill the other two guards. Other than that, ACIV constraints are fine. The only ones that I hated the most are the ones where you have to stay out of combat, while the other constraint needed you to do the complete opposite.

DarktheMagister
12-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Killing the two guards on the way to Hickey was a simple running kill followed by a running kill. There are 3 hostile guards in a straight-ish line on the way to Hickey.

DisbandedBox359
12-23-2013, 03:04 AM
you must first kill an Italian diplomat (who was hilarious to listen to)

Speaking of the diplomat does everyone know he was voiced by Roger Craig Smith ( Also the voice of Ezio haha)

DinoSteve1
12-23-2013, 03:21 AM
When I was young.... people who liked to run and stab themselves were detained for their own health.

Its all the rage now, everyone is doing it.

JumpInTheFire13
12-25-2013, 05:53 PM
That's what I thought haha the thing he says about Kingston being boring and Italian cities being more beautiful is just perfect. I couldn't help but laugh at that.