PDA

View Full Version : Post your thoughts on Freedom Cry

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Link to my review: Freedom Cry review (http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/12/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-freedom.html)

Frankly, I'm of mixed feelings regarding Freedom Cry. It's a great little DLC and 10 bucks for 6 hours worth of AC gameplay is a bargain. Still, the subject matter is relentlessly grim and a bit more of a contrast to AC4's lighthearted pirate adventure than I was really comfortable with. Hell, Adewale's nasty put downs to his pirating days felt like the developers were saying. "So you liked being a pirate? Well, you SUCK. Assassins should be fighting for what's right and helping the innocent, not plundering ships for treasure."

Yeah, well, I need to plunder ships to build up mine in this DLC too so shut it!

Likewise, the blunderbuss and machete were craptacular weapons. Adewale felt a lot clumsier than Edward and much more like a bruiser. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that, as a big scary black man, he seemingly was falling into some unfortunate media stereotypes. Given he's one of the few black protagonists in gaming and Ubisoft has a pretty good track record with this sort of thing, I'm willing to give them a pass but I wish they'd made Adewale more graceful.

I also give kudos to the penultimate mission on the sinking slave ship.

That was DARK and GOOD.

thecodeman715
12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
I loved Freedom Cry, the entire time I was playing, I was thinking to myself, WHY WASN'T ADEWALE THE MAIN CHARACTER! I didn't like Edward that much, he didn't really care about the Creed until the end, Ade did very much, and made it known. I also liked the freeing the slave side missions. I would love Adewale to get his own spin-off some time really soon.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
I loved Freedom Cry, the entire time I was playing, I was thinking to myself, WHY WASN'T ADEWALE THE MAIN CHARACTER! I didn't like Edward that much, he didn't really care about the Creed until the end, Ade did very much, and made it known. I also liked the freeing the slave side missions. I would love Adewale to get his own spin-off some time really soon.

I actually felt Freedom Cry was a kind of nasty **** you to the Assassins. Basically, the entire DLC more or less said, "Why are you wasting time fighting Templars when you could be saving slaves?"

Aveline and Adewale are kind of following the SPIRIT of the Creed while ignoring the letter.

thecodeman715
12-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I actually felt Freedom Cry was a kind of nasty **** you to the Assassins. Basically, the entire DLC more or less said, "Why are you wasting time fighting Templars when you could be saving slaves?"

Aveline and Adewale are kind of following the SPIRIT of the Creed while ignoring the letter.

Interesting, I took it as use the Creed not only to stop Templars, but also use it to help the Slaves.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Interesting, I took it as use the Creed not only to stop Templars, but also use it to help the Slaves.

I think that's the spirit of the Creed but we see Adewale in kind of an uncomfortable position at the start because he has to return to the Assassins for fighting Templars when he really should be fighting with the Maroon.

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 06:44 PM
The Assassins are the defenders of the people.

Also, Adewale didn't really diss pirating. He said "pirating has actually helped out the Brotherhood a time or two, so I can't fault it" and then later on when talking to his Quartermaster he said that he wouldn't give up his days pirating for nothing.

I don't think it was insulting as much as it was "that was part of my life once, it helped me grow and I looked back on it fondly, but now I've moved on from that, though from time to time, I'm called to revisit it, for whatever reason"

As for Freedom Cry itself? I liked it, but some of the mission restraints are absolute bullish. Also, Ubi needs to learn what "random encounters" means, and not "the same events that just occur in the same location, just on a timer."

Overall though, I enjoyed it.

EDIT: Didn't Ezio kill a soldier in Embers with a branding iron/poker? I wonder if that has a tie into the "box" , Embers and Freedom Cry.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Honestly, I think this could have been a spin-off game.

It's not enough here alone but it had a lot of potential.

M413FIK-E
12-21-2013, 08:57 PM
I feel like Adewale should have been the main character for AC4. I mean he is actually an assassin, a badass one at that. Edwards campaign should have been a spin off, and Ade's should have been the main campaign. I enjoyed the DLC I just wish there was more, Connor's story should have been like this. I wish AC3 was redone. I would have love to play as Connor fighting for freedom, and killing off slave traders on land, and sea.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 09:00 PM
I feel like Adewale should have been the main character for AC4. I mean he is actually an assassin, a badass one at that. Edwards campaign should have been a spin off, and Ade's should have been the main campaign. I enjoyed the DLC I just wish there was more, Connor's story should have been like this. I wish AC3 was redone. I would have love to play as Connor fighting for freedom, and killing off slave traders on land, and sea.

Well, the problem is playing Edward is 100x more enjoyable than playing Adewale who is grim, depressing, and leaves me feeling sad rather than joyous.

It's like Abstergosoft said in the Modern Section, we play these games for entertainment.

Adewale is unabashedly heroic but this is like a hero who frees concentration camps or Gulags. The sheer horror of their opponents sucks the fun out of the situation.

I-Like-Pie45
12-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders
Pressure to break or retreat at every turn
Facing the fear that the truth, I discovered
No telling how, all these will work out
But I've come to far to go back now

I am looking for freedom, looking for freedom
And to find it cost me everything I have
Well I am looking for freedom, looking for freedom
And to find it, may take everything I have

I know all too well it don’t come easy
The chains of the world they seem to moving tight
I try to walk around if I’m stumbling so come..
Trying to get up but the doubt is so strong
There’s gotta be a winning in my bones

Oh not giving up there’s always been hard, so hard
But if I do the things the easy way I won’t get far

Mhm, life hasn't been very kind to me lately, (Well)
But I suppose it’s a push for moving on (Oh yeah)
In time the sun’s gonna shine on me nicely (On me yeah)
Something tells me good things are coming and I ain’t gonna not believe

3/5

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Loved it. Adewale was awesome to play as, the machete/bluderbuss combo was great... I liked the dark contrast to the light atmosphere of AC4. I was truly disgusted with the slavers and took great pleasure dispatching the Governor. This felt like one chapter of Adewale's story though...the build up was decent, though I felt kind of rushed with it being only 9 missions. The firecrackers were a surprise, though I hardly had a use for them... it was nice having something previously not in the games... All in all, I wish Adewale would get his own game, even if this century in AC is almost played out...

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 09:06 PM

But the point of 4 was to tell Edward's story. If they decided to just make him a pig farmer all day long, and that was the game, that was Edward's story.

While still "Assassin's Creed" it was more dedicated to Edward than to any other storyline related to AC.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 09:09 PM
But the point of 4 was to tell Edward's story. If they decided to just make him a pig farmer all day long, and that was the game, that was Edward's story.

While still "Assassin's Creed" it was more dedicated to Edward than to any other storyline related to AC.

I think what he's saying is he'd have preferred to play Adewale having a 40 hour adventure and Edward being a DLC character.

Which I wouldn't enjoy as much.

M413FIK-E
12-21-2013, 09:24 PM
I think what he's saying is he'd have preferred to play Adewale having a 40 hour adventure and Edward being a DLC character.

That is correct :)

Toa TAK
12-21-2013, 09:28 PM
I enjoyed it overall.

9 missions are fine, but I feel like there could've been a lot more going on in the story. It felt a bit uninspired at times. Wish there was something a little bigger going on, because while the Maroons are fighting for independence, the weight of their cause isn't felt as big as it should. I also didn't feel that De Fayet have a big presence despite being the main antagonist. The end where Adewale yells at him feels unearned. I should hate this guy just as much as Ade or at least something towards him, but he spews the typical "Slaves aren't people!" and that's it. Beyond De Fayet, though, I enjoyed the rest of the characters. Adewale is such a cool guy and I feel he's a bit wiser than Kenway was when they were sailing together. I just wished he opened the box, though!

Most missions were fun to play, though, and I was pretty happy that the 100% wasn't difficult (only had to go back and replay one mission). Thought it was funny that the last two synch points in the final mission were pretty much the two achievements requirements. Sea missions were great as usual and the mission in the sinking ship was phenomenal. Blunderbuss is great, love blasting away the French when they're all chasing me in one group. The machete is a fine weapon, too. I didn't care much for the sparklers, I just wish we could aim and throw. Saving slaves is a great feeling every time and I enjoy how they designed the slave ship encounters. Soundtrack is great, too. Love the huge emphasis on Haitian vocals. The new city is good and plantations are fun to be stealthy in. Upping the ante by the slaves being killed is a great idea and works well for increasing the tension.

Again, overall, I enjoyed it. I wish the story was a bit stronger, but it wasn't bad by any means. Gameplay is fun and I like the little additions they made regarding how you save slaves.

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 09:36 PM

That is correct :)

I get that. But 4 was for Edward and Edward only. Having 4 be about Adewale wouldn't make sense.

Especially since we just came off of 3 with his son and grandson helming the story.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 10:12 PM
I get that. But 4 was for Edward and Edward only. Having 4 be about Adewale wouldn't make sense.

Especially since we just came off of 3 with his son and grandson helming the story.

It's just an opinion.

Anyway, I hope the next game's subject matter is lighter.