PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 review

Dev_Anj
12-21-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/706181-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/reviews/review-156592

I don't agree completely with all his points, but he explains the strengths of Assassin's Creed 4 well.

Also, this review wasn't written by me.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 03:36 PM
... A bit late to publish a review, is it not? Oh well.

My bigger complaint, though, is with the ongoing squandering of one of the most fascinating backstories in gaming history. The idea of a Templar-Assassin war throughout time involving some of history's biggest figures is absolutely brilliant. Seeing the differing agendas of the two groups manifest themselves throughout the ages in the glyphs from the original games was one of the highlights of my gaming career. Ubisoft has all of history to play with, and that is more than enough to write a hundred fascinating plots. Instead, however, they continue to emphasize this idea of a first alien race that left messages for modern humans to uncover. It's not an interesting plot, it's incredibly contrived, and it distracts from the story with by far the most potential.

God bless this man.

Dev_Anj
12-21-2013, 03:44 PM
... A bit late to publish a review, is it not? Oh well.

God bless this man.

You think he's exaggarating when he's saying that the Assassin Templar war is one of the most fascinating backstories in gaming history?

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Here's my thoughts on the game

AC3 vs. AC4 http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/12/assassins-creed-3-vs-assassins-creed-4.html
AC4 review: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2013/12/assassins-creed-black-flag-review.html

My opinion is the Templars vs. Assassins thing is stale and needs to be forgotten.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 03:49 PM
You think he's exaggarating when he's saying that the Assassin Templar war is one of the most fascinating backstories in gaming history?

Maybe a little, but I'm agreeing with him overall. Templars v. Assassins have taken a backseat to the Ones Who Came Before, who I personally find to be extraordinarily silly. Weaving the secret Assassin war through the pages of history is brilliant; goofball ancient alien conspiracy theories are not.

And yes, before some eager beaver jumps in to correct me, I know TWCB aren't technically ancient aliens, but come on, let's face it, they basically are.

Dev_Anj
12-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I still think the Templars vs Assassins thing has places to go, but it needs new dimensions. Not continuously portraying the Templars as evil, or being in continuous war.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Maybe a little, but I'm agreeing with him overall. Templars v. Assassins have taken a backseat to the Ones Who Came Before, who I personally find to be extraordinarily silly. Weaving the secret Assassin war through the pages of history is brilliant; goofball ancient alien conspiracy theories are not.

And yes, before some eager beaver jumps in to correct me, I know TWCB aren't technically ancient aliens, but come on, let's face it, they basically are.TWCB were cool up until Juno became a real ****.

The Templars should always be the main villian though.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
TWCB were cool up until Juno became a real ****.

The Templars should always be the main villian though.

They were alright when there was still some element of mystery to them and we didn't know what they were. Back when they were like gods. Now they're just mundane. I think it was the chat in the Grand Temple that ruined them for me. Having Minerva and Juno there just bickering like two cranky old ladies. Up until that point, we'd only seen them in mysterious cryptic fashions, but in that scene it was like they were no more than sparkly humans.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 04:05 PM
They were alright when there was still some element of mystery to them and we didn't know what they were. Back when they were like gods. Now they're just mundane. I think it was the chat in the Grand Temple that ruined them for me. Having Minerva and Juno there just bickering like two cranky old ladies. Up until that point, we'd only seen them in mysterious cryptic fashions, but in that scene it was like they were no more than sparkly humans.Indeed, the whole Temple thing was so cool in AC2, ACB and a was still interesting in ACR now it seems like the whole thing was underdone.