PDA

View Full Version : I Have Been Naive

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 05:37 AM
I've been naive.

I keep thinking to myself, "It is okay as long as they add new features each game to keep it fresh" but I never realizes that that has nothing to do with it. The problem runs deeper than that. Some people say that they loved Black Flag but have given up on the series anyway. At first I thought that was stupid. How can you give up when Black Flag set such high expectations? But then I realized that it is because no matter how much new paint you add, it will never be enough to justify the constant recycling of game mechanics from the last 6 years of Assassin's Creed.

When you look past the different locations, times periods, and tools unique to each game, you see the core of the series which has been the same for as long as the series has existed. Combat, parkour, environmental stealth, and social stealth, have seen little to no changes. Over the past few games, environmental stealth and combat have taken some steps in the right direction, but it is not enough. I wish Ubisoft would not say BS to our faces, like "we will delay the games if they are not good enough". Do you really expect us to believe that? Is this "massive rescope" they are talking about actually going to happen?

One part of me keeps thinking, "All they need to do is redo all the core mechanics from the ground up", but then I think, that maybe it may not be so easy. The series is suffering from COD disease, in the sense, that it has already "perfected" things like parkour, just like COD has "perfected" competitive multiplayer. By "perfected" I do not mean "made ideal". Rather...what more could they add? COD is the same every year because they literally can not add anything worthwhile anymore. And for parkour..I mean, what could they add to the parkour system to make it FEEL new? The hookblade sort of changed some parts of parkour, and the simplification of setting parkour movements to one button and adding vaulting also changed parts of it. But still, the changes were not big enough for us to say that the CORE of parkour has changed in any way. What more could they add that would actually make a difference?

How could the make social stealth REALLY rejuvenated? It already has all the things it should, really. Hiding between people and interacting with different factions and stuff. Sure you could say that they should add things like different civilian reactions that could trigger different events and stuff. But will those additions be enough for us to say that "social stealth has been rejuvenated"?

What makes us think that they will do anything to improve upon the core mechanics in the next game, if they have been the same thing in essence for the past 6 years?

Damnit, they can not wave new time periods and locations in our face, or cover up the poor core mechanics with thing like naval, in order to obscure our perception and make us think that the games are good.

I hate to say it, but if you get past the naval aspect of Ac4, you get to the lame, boring, stale, recycled, overused, skeletal core of AC that has been neglected to a saddening extent. The naval added a layer of sweet smelling, pretty looking smoke that kept us from the truth. Ubisoft can not keep recycling the same mechanics but wave new little trinkets and game features in our faces to calm us.

This is extremely saddening. It would be one thing if ubisoft was a company that listened to their fans, and I knew that this thread would have some sort of minuscule affect. But in reality, my beloved series, does not care about me. It does not care about us, the fans. Why do we even bother to post threads about ideas for future ACs when we KNOW that they could care less. "User generated ideas have been used in the past"? Please. I see so many amazing threads about inspired new ideas for everything in the series, from new freeroam features, to location ideas, to combat ideas, and it pains me to think that ubi just does. Not. Care. Lol, my very first thread I ever made was titled "Ubisoft Listen Up! AC3 needs changes!" ...."ubisoft listen up". How stupid and naive I was.

As much as I hate to think about it, I think I might finally be realizing that maybe AC4 was a one time thing, and that the next few years will be plagued with another set of disappointing installments.

I don't really even know what this thread is about anymore. I am just really depressed. I don't want to give up on AC. I don't want to think that it will always be the same. But the past 6 years all point towards the unfortunate and painful fact that it more than likely never will. I love AC with a passion, but it is hard to keep up hope when you know it doesn't love you back.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 05:40 AM
lol

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Please inform me of a single sries that changes even equally as much as AC everytime......
I'll wait....

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 05:44 AM
lol

What

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Please inform me of a single sries that changes even equally as much as AC everytime......
I'll wait....

The elder scrolls.
The witcher.
Fallout
Mass effect
Hell, even GTA

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2013, 05:49 AM
The elder scrolls.
The witcher.
Fallout
Mass effect
Idk about the switcher, but no to the rest....

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 05:52 AM
I'll wait....Just off the top of my head

Change more then AC through each sequel:
TES
GTA
The Witcher
Red Dead
Mass Effect
Far Cry
Splinter Cell
Deus Ex
Resident Evil
Halo
Metal Gear
Batman Arkham

Change as much as AC through each sequel:
FIFA
Madden
Battlefield
NBA2k

WhatI just don't get this thread.

There is no need for it.

Or maybe it's your sense of humour.

D.I.D.
12-21-2013, 05:53 AM
I think everyone is just going to have to put the hand-wringing on hold for a couple of years and enjoy it for what it is. There's a lot standing in the way of a big redesign right now.

The big one is that AC is now developed for a ridiculously large number of machines (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, WiiU, and PC including all of its myriad hardware combinations).

While the company is stretched thin serving all those platforms, the old gen hardware is similarly stretched. I'm amazed a game like Black Flag could run on PS3 and 360. When you're working to a system's limit like that, it's that much harder to try new things. You can't predict how much tweaking will be needed to bring the new designs under that low bar, but the game remains somewhat predictable if you work within known abilities as much as possible.

So, the time to complain about a lack of new mechanics should be after the discontinuation of the 360 and PS3 versions of the game. Until then, if we get something that's basically a reskin of the game we've seen before but with a new story and in a new location, that's to be expected. I'm sure there's plenty they can do with clever mission design to keep the game feeling sufficiently fresh until then.

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Idk about the switcher, but no to the rest....

I dont have the energy to create another 5 paragraph post to explain why I disagree. So I'm just going to, not..idk.

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Why do you have to say that. Jesus why am I ****ing crying right now

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 05:59 AM
The elder scrolls.
The witcher.
Fallout
Mass effect
Hell, even GTAEven GTA?

GTA changes so much between each of it's games. Even when they were getting released yearly like, GTA 3, VC and SA the improvements were huge.

Idk about the switcher, but no to the rest....Are you kidding?

AC each year gives us a new map/time period, story and one big gameplay change.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Why do you have to say that. Jesus why am I ****ing crying right nowDon't cry haha, I meant nothing by it.

I said it as a joke, perhaps your sense of humor could not understand it.

SixKeys
12-21-2013, 06:08 AM
How could the make social stealth REALLY rejuvenated? It already has all the things it should, really. Hiding between people and interacting with different factions and stuff. Sure you could say that they should add things like different civilian reactions that could trigger different events and stuff. But will those additions be enough for us to say that "social stealth has been rejuvenated"?

I disagree that social stealth has reached its pinnacle. They're simply not trying hard enough with the social aspect. They keep adding more stealth tools in general like stalking zones, contextual crouching/corner-leaning, stealth darts etc., but they're completely ignoring the social part. Here are just some ideas that they could do:

-Make crowds have stronger reactions to your activities. They have been diluting this aspect more and more with each title and I have no idea why.

-Make citizens have different archetypes like the guards have (cowards, tough guys, nosy people drawn towards any interesting activity, criminals who will follow you like the stalkers in ACR, pushy salesmen, playful children, tattle-tales who will run to fetch the guards at the slightest sign of trouble, etc. etc.)

-Bring back the aspect of the crowd being a help or a hindrance. Making the freerunning automatic got rid of things like being able to fall over during a chase, which has completely removed any tension they had left. People will no longer get mad at you if they catch you pickpocketing. In AC3 they simply run away, in AC4 they don't even do that. Remember how in ACR you could have half a town on your heels trying to pick a fight, including little old ladies? In AC1 beggars would throw rocks at you to make you fall down if you were mean to them. Now nobody even looks up at the assassin freerunning across Havana. It's like even the NPCs aren't impressed anymore.

AC:Liberation actually did a number of fresh things relating to social stealth. Aveline's different personas (costumes) all had their strengths and limitations. The lady persona could woo guards with her charm, but couldn't freerun because that would be suspicious. The slave persona could get into forbidden areas by carrying boxes and pretending to be a worker, but non-worker areas were off-limits. The assassin persona had the most power when it came to weapons and freerunning, but appearing like that in public would arouse suspicion.

When I heard about the persona feature for the first time, I got really excited because it really does have potential. I thought that it being in ACL meant it would also be a feature in the next full-on console title, but AC3 and AC4 didn't make any use of such a great social stealth feature. Why not?

There are still many possibilities for improving social stealth. For some reason the devs simply don't seem interested.

Wolfmeister1010
12-21-2013, 06:10 AM
Don't cry haha, I meant nothing by it.

I said it as a joke, perhaps your sense of humor could not understand it.

Can you please stop? I am sorry for everything. Just please don't.

DarktheMagister
12-21-2013, 06:34 AM
I am confused as to whether or not this post is serious or if Wolf just had a mid-life crisis.

The way I look at the Creeds year after year is "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

I mean hell....tinker with it all you want, swap things up, add new features that fit with the time period or whatever like the bombs or the sailing.... but don't make "drastic sweeping changes" just for no real reason other than "We've already done this."

For example....if the series suddenly went 100% 1st person... I wouldn't like it. I wouldn't understand why they did that OR If they suddenly decided that it was going to be a rail shooter...I wouldn't like it.

Those types of changes aren't grounded in any real reason other than this "fatigue" thing people keep spouting about.

If anything...they should work on improving the guard AI, adding more ambient life, enriching the narrative, and tightening up the in game physics. Not issuing "sweeping changes."

pirate1802
12-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Actually SixKeys, people do shove you and run away crying "thief! thief! catch that bastard" if they catch you picking their pockets, Its just that now its incredibly easy to have them not notice you. They'll only notice you if 1) they are facing you and 2) you're not in a blend group. So you can have situations like someone is facing you and you are still able to pickpocket them because you're in a blend group. People notice you too, but not when freerunning, only when you jump in the midst of them. Actually I'm in two minds over NPC interactions. On one hand, it seems to have improved when it comes to NPC-to-NPC interactions. Like they'll wave at each other, stop to talk, even argue. Males would stop to whistle at dancers while females would shoo them away. Sometimes you blend group will talk to you. Guards and NPCs now talk to each other while walking etc. But the player-to-NPC interation seems to have diminished. Like you said, people now won't comment when they see you climb onto the rooftops. or like you said, the pickpocketing thing. They now hardly notice you while doing it. I only get caught when I'm deliberately trying to get caught, or doing it near some guards. Pickpoketing is another thing that is 50-50. I prefer this system to the bump-into-people way. But then again, they dont notice you now so that dampens stuff. Keep this system and make the target more aware, and it'd be perfect. People being pickpocketed should automatically become aware after a few moments. And you should no longer be able to do it from a blend group if the target is facing you.

Ultimately, the thing is that, they can do so, so, so much more with the franchise instead of just swapping locations and adding a new layer of gameplay. But for this yearly release schedule. Its like you can see a beautiful diamond lying in the mud but no one around it is picking up because they're too busy to notice it.

Perk89
12-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Lol if you don't like the formula then don't play the game.

Asking the series to morph into something it isn't doesn't appeal to the fanbase which enjoys the series. If you turn it into something else it isn't AC anymore.

OMG IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR SOME MAGICAL INCANTATIONS ME AND MY FELLOW SAMURAI FRIENDS CAN RECITE WHEN WERE PLAYING I MEAN IM SO TIRED OF ASSASSINATING AND PARKOUR GIMME SOME GOOD STUFF LYK MAGICAL NINJAS BRAH!

Perk89
12-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Im so tired of the dang guns they keep putting in battlefield i mean when are they gonna change things up and let us do something cool like blend in crowds and assassinate people with knives

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Just off the top of my head

Change more then AC through each sequel:
TES
GTA
The Witcher
Red Dead
Mass Effect
Far Cry
Splinter Cell
Deus Ex
Resident Evil
Halo
Metal Gear
Batman Arkham

Change as much as AC through each sequel:
FIFA
Madden
Battlefield
NBA2k

I just don't get this thread.

There is no need for it.

Lol @Arkham

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Can you please stop? I am sorry for everything. Just please don't.Okay?

Lol @ArkhamMaybe not Arkham Origins but the difference between Asylum and City was a greater difference then most of the AC's.

I agree with Sixkeys, Social Stealth is barley even touched upon by AC. It could improve ten-fold, hopefully the devs are holding features back to give us a supermegaACgame.

pirate1802
12-21-2013, 07:52 AM
As much as I hate to think about it, I think I might finally be realizing that maybe AC4 was a one time thing, and that the next few years will be plagued with another set of disappointing installments.

Yes, thats what I'm realizing as well. That they are so intent on pushing out a game every year means that there will be maybe one truly great game surrounded by 4-5 mediocre ones. And that is a big maybe too. This is kinda why I was not interested in the wild hunt for AC5's location while you guys were going nuts over it lol. I am almost prepared for the next game to be an AC4 copypasta with a few new stuff sprinkled over it. Thats all.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 08:02 AM
Yes, thats what I'm realizing as well. That they are so intent on pushing out a game every year means that there will be maybe one truly great game surrounded by 4-5 mediocre ones. And that is a big maybe too. This is kinda why I was not interested in the wild hunt for AC5's location while you guys were going nuts over it lol. I am almost prepared for the next game to be an AC4 copypasta with a few new stuff sprinkled over it. Thats all.I disagree.

I think we're in for the biggest jump yet with ACV, if we see in a big jump in time period. I think AC4 being the most unique AC game will help as well, as a return back to the roots of the series will feel even greater.

pirate1802
12-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Wanna bet, bro?

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Wanna bet, bro?It's on *****.

itsamea-mario
12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Is wolfmeister a human now?

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 09:10 AM
I agree with Sixkeys, Social Stealth is barley even touched upon by AC. It could improve ten-fold, hopefully the devs are holding features back to give us a supermegaACgame.

I WANT this to be true. But I just found out about Ubi's announcement that there might be two console AC games next year... and any excitement I had for AC5 is dwindling. I hope like hell they're just talking about AC5 and the Liberation port, but if they're not...

... It's too much. I've been sticking up for Ubi's yearly release cycles ever since they began. But we had to slog through three unfinished games (Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC3) to get to a full title that felt complete and fun in AC4. The problem with "massively re-scoping" the series, as they recently stated they were doing, is that they've already done it once before when they transitioned to once-yearly, and it resulted in a string of (IMO) disappointing games before they got back on track.

After I played and loved AC4, I was hoping AC5 could be this "supermegaACgame" you're talking about and a huge turning point for the series with full exploitation of the next gen, but if this really is their strategy for 2014, you can kiss that sh!t goodbye.

D.I.D.
12-21-2013, 09:42 AM
I WANT this to be true. But I just found out about Ubi's announcement that there might be two console AC games next year... and any excitement I had for AC5 is dwindling. I hope like hell they're just talking about AC5 and the Liberation port, but if they're not...

They are, don't worry. They have to sell AC5, Watch Dogs and - if possible - Liberation to the same set of people, while the other companies push their new gen titles like crazy and the manufacturers try and sell as many consoles as possible. Customers only have so much money, so those three are plenty for one year.

killzab
12-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Wolf I totally understand you and that's why I don't consider myself a fan anymore ... I just kept expecting so much from this franchise and I know

Yes, thats what I'm realizing as well. That they are so intent on pushing out a game every year means that there will be maybe one truly great game surrounded by 4-5 mediocre ones. And that is a big maybe too. This is kinda why I was not interested in the wild hunt for AC5's location while you guys were going nuts over it lol. I am almost prepared for the next game to be an AC4 copypasta with a few new stuff sprinkled over it. Thats all.

Same here, I'll just have my yearly fix of AC and be done with it.

Plus Derbie said that each new era/location would have to come with a new "unique gameplay aspect" so they'll keep coming up with new gimmicks. They'll focus all their time and effort on this new gimmick and never allocate ressources to fix the cores.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I don't think the core mechanics need to change, but damn they could be perfected, I'm tired of running one way only for my Assassins to suddenly turn and start climbing something that I didn't intend.

AherasSTRG
12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Sumarry of the story: You believed the lies he told you and now your life won't be the same again. You have been living in a lie for the past 7 years, grasping to achieve perfection, whilst not knowing that a greater force is keeping you from getting it. Pretty wrappers were fooling you, once the lie was about to uncover itself, prolonging your oblivious ways and driving you into a mindless plea to him in order to hear you. But now, you are aware, you have to leave, but you cannot get your heart to do it. What will you do? You are in a deadend...
Plot twist: you are talking about a video game.

AherasSTRG
12-21-2013, 12:33 PM
I enjoy the mechanics as they are now. I believe the series need small and concrete improvements between them. The leap between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 was so huge it alienated a big portion of the fanbase. My favourite ME game was the first, by far.

DarktheMagister
12-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I enjoy the mechanics as they are now. I believe the series need small and concrete improvements between them. The leap between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 was so huge it alienated a big portion of the fanbase. My favourite ME game was the first, by far.

See I started with ME2 and went back to play ME1 when they released it for PS3. I think that's why I thoroughly LOVE that series....I didn't have to endure that jump between 1 and 2 that most ME fans did. But really....besides the shooting and the clips...I didn't notice too much difference.

Edit: And the elevators....how could I forget the elevators.

PedroAntonio2
12-21-2013, 01:05 PM
ACIV was fun for me, I loved exploring Havana...it reminds me of good old ACs before ACIII, where parkour was fun. In ACIII, Parkour became useless, because you couldn't even run in the rooftops without getting detected easily by thousands of guards in the rooftops. ACIV made the series feel fresh again...and I even dare to say that ACIV had a better Open-World than GTA V. I had more fun upgrading my Jackdaw, destroying the Legendary Ships with epic boss battles, a emotional storyline with a epic ending, exploring the seas and facing sharks just to get a plant for a Elite Weapon for Jackdaw, finding all the stones to unlock the Mayan Outfit, doing the Assassinations Missions to unlock the Templar Armor, destroying the Forts and exploring every single island in the game than doing the Strangers and Freaks missions in GTA V.

But I agree in other things....the next AC game needs to feel totally new.

SixKeys
12-21-2013, 01:50 PM
But I agree in other things....the next AC game needs to feel totally new.

The problem is that I think AC3 was supposed to be their "totally new". They made a big hoopla about all the new things like AnvilNext, new animations, new gameplay features etc. Then they just copy-pasted most of those for AC4, tweaked them a bit and called it a day. Now I'm not saying it resulted in a bad game, but let's face it, AC4 was a game built entirely on the best features of its predecessors. After spending three years on AC3 which was supposed to revitalize the franchise the same way AC2 did, I can't imagine them trying to do the same with the next game or even the next several ones. They're just going to keep building on top of the AC3 template, just like the Ezio games were built upon tweaked versions of AC2.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 01:53 PM
The problem is that I think AC3 was supposed to be their "totally new". They made a big hoopla about all the new things like AnvilNext, new animations, new gameplay features etc. Then they just copy-pasted most of those for AC4, tweaked them a bit and called it a day. Now I'm not saying it resulted in a bad game, but let's face it, AC4 was a game built entirely on the best features of its predecessors. After spending three years on AC3 which was supposed to revitalize the franchise the same way AC2 did, I can't imagine them trying to do the same with the next game or even the next several ones. They're just going to keep building on top of the AC3 template, just like the Ezio games were built upon tweaked versions of AC2.

Unfortunately true, though I hope a significant change in setting can at least curb the feeling of repetition. If they stay in the 1700s much longer, they really will burn out the franchise. No new template + No new setting = Stagnation.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Its seems to be a trend with Assassin's Creed, when the released AC1 everyone was like meh and they then used the best bits of AC1 and made AC2 and everyone loved it, then they did the same with AC3 and AC4.

MIA SILENT
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately true, though I hope a significant change in setting can at least curb the feeling of repetition. If they stay in the 1700s much longer, they really will burn out the franchise. No new template + No new setting = Stagnation.

Yeah, I think we've seen enough of the 18th and 17th centuries for now. I really hope they go back to the 15th and 14th centuries. Hopefully somewhere in East Asia. Which would also have to mean completely new fighting animations. Otherwise...well, that would be silly.

pirate1802
12-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Agreed with Loyal and Sixkeys.. I don't think we'll see significant changes for the next few ACs, they'll be like Brotherhood and Revelations. Building on AC3. AC3 was supposed to be the big jump, but they mucked it up completely. I'm imagining if AC IV had come directly after Revelations then most of us would have been completely awed and we wouldn't be having this discussion about stagnation I guess. And lets face it: It will take them a good while to top the open world features of AC IV, if ever. I'm guessing the next game will return to a more traditional city-based gameplay and dearly hoping they'd concentrate on improving the core features than adding some other gimmick.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 02:35 PM
No offense to the OP but that's incredibly dumb.

Assassins Creed's core mechanics are fun and we have gotten a bunch of fine games out of the playstyle.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AherasSTRG
12-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Assassins Creed's core mechanics are fun and we have gotten a bunch of fine games out of the playstyle.

I agree.

ProletariatPleb
12-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Ah yes, that old CoD mentality.

So basically - Recycle it, drag it, till the users themselves are fed up and demand something new.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 02:53 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.It is boring as **** though, so some fixing would be in order.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Assassin's Creeds core mechanics is far from perfect.

Charles_Phipps
12-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Would I like it so it's less likely for me to start randomly hanging off buildings when I want to go up them? Yes. However, I think I prefer them to have the freedom to create new games over spending years tweaking them.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 03:31 PM

That can be said about every game, even GTA V or The Last Of Us. Everything is flawed and nothing is "perfect".

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 03:35 PM
That can be said about every game, even GTA V or The Last Of Us. Everything is flawed and nothing is "perfect".I'm perfect.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
That can be said about every game, even GTA V or The Last Of Us. Everything is flawed and nothing is "perfect".

Maybe so, but there are varying degrees of imperfection... And several aspects of AC are pretty archaic. In terms of AI for sure. AC4 took a step in the right direction by adding a sort of "alert" status, to quote Metal Gear, when enemies see something suspicious, but it's not enough. Guards will still return happily to their posts after seeing a hooded murderer strolling about just as long as you hide quick enough. That is just plain wrong.

In case you're wondering, AI in GTA V and especially TLOU is magnificent.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Maybe so, but there are varying degrees of imperfection... And several aspects of AC are pretty archaic. In terms of AI for sure. AC4 took a step in the right direction by adding a sort of "alert" status, to quote Metal Gear, when enemies see something suspicious, but it's not enough. Guards will still return happily to their posts after seeing a hooded murderer strolling about just as long as you hide quick enough. That is just plain wrong.

In case you're wondering, AI in GTA V and especially TLOU is magnificent.

No interest in GTA, but i have played TLOU.

The problem ain't really that the AI is stupid, but the fact that they are weak. A stupid AI can give a challenge if it is powerful, but a smart and weak AI is a easy kill, unlike a powerfull stupid AI.

I'm perfect.

Then you are nothing.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm not saying that it needs to be perfect, only that a bit of tweaking wouldn't hurt it.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm not saying that it needs to be perfect, only that a bit of tweaking wouldn't hurt it.

What kind of "tweaking"? Give details, not their cover.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Well for one thing free running and climbing needs to be looked at, I dunno about anyone else but I'm tired of running along in a straight direction and for no reason the Edward will take a sharp turn and climb up the closet thing possible.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Well for one thing free running and climbing needs to be looked at, I dunno about anyone else but I'm tired of running along in a straight direction and for no reason the Edward will take a sharp turn and climb up the closet thing possible.

I had more free running problems with the old system, so i disagree. Next!

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Well I disagree with your disagreement. Next!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Okay?

Maybe not Arkham Origins but the difference between Asylum and City was a greater difference then most of the AC's.

Arkham city was exactly like Arkham Asylum but with a larger port world, a few side missions and a worse story...

Hans684
12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Well I disagree with your disagreement. Next!

Well I disagree with your disagreement on my disagreement. Next!!

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Well I disagree with your disagreement on my disagreement. Next!!

and yet the problem still remains.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Imo the yearly release isn't causing the fatigue...its the fact that we are being introduced to New systems before what we already have is improved.
You never know what you're going to get with combat in an ac game, its differentevery year. You don't know if the delivery of the story will be there because its hit and miss every year...same with city and social stealth capabilities...
We have no confidence in AC games because they aren't persistent....that to me is what I believe the problem is.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
and yet the problem still remains.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your aditude about the problem. Do you understand?

Shahkulu101
12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Combat needs a serious upgrade, it's not very fun anymore barring the cool animations. I don't want it to be extremely challenging, just make it feel at least a little authentic and do away with the OTT animations.

AC1 had the best combat, because of the above reasons. Focus more on different moves and systems to implement rather than gimmicks like tool counters - which are cool to have but not what we need at the end of the day.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your aditude about the problem. Do you understand?
Ugh! and we are done!

Hans684
12-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Ugh! and we are done!

Wasn't even serious, have seen this before mate?

http://moviewordz.blogspot.no/2012/10/captain-jack-sparrow.html

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 06:13 PM
ah ok apologies then.

Hans684
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Apologi accepted.

PedroAntonio2
12-21-2013, 06:17 PM
I enjoy the combat, but ACIV felt slower than ACIII's combat. I don't know, but fighting as Connor made me feel a Badass Mohawk Ninja, while playing Edward fighting with two swords was slow. I don't know, but I don't understand why Dual Counter-Attack became so rare to happen in ACIV, in ACIII they happened all the time and I really enjoyed it.

The only thing they need to improve is Stealth, it would be nice see they bring some of Splinter Cell Blacklist mechanics into the game, making the game feel more challenging. It really bothers me in ACIV, I jump like a crazy behing guards and they don't even notice me there.

PedroAntonio2
12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
ACIII was supposed to be the huge improvement in the franchise...the hype created around this game was so huge that the game could be compared to GTA V in the level of hype. The game was great, but I want the game they announced in GameInformer, with Glyphs, random events, frozen rivers and lakes, clubs inviting you to join them, canoes and Free-Roam withe the Aquila.

I-Like-Pie45
12-21-2013, 08:56 PM
^that's why ambitious big aaa games and annualization don't really mix

Kagurra
12-21-2013, 09:11 PM
The problem with the crowd social stealth is that there are no crowds. Just groups of like 3 people walking together. In the very beginning of the game when you go to see the hanging, there's a REAL crowd there. I want that to be in the game naturally, not scripted. I have high hopes for ACV and how it will "really be next-gen", even if that sounds naive of me.

roostersrule2
12-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Arkham city was exactly like Arkham Asylum but with a larger port world, a few side missions and a worse story...Factually wrong.

Kagurra
12-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Factually wrong.

I think he meant Arkham Origins was exactly like Arkham City with a larger map (was it even?) and a slightly worse story besides all the interesting Joker stuff. Asylum was the best one IMO. City may have improved the combat though.

EDIT: Got the subtitle mixed up. Damn you naming convention.

Hans684
12-22-2013, 09:47 AM
I think he meant Arkham Origins was exactly like Arkham Asylum with a larger map (was it even?) and a slightly worse story besides all the interesting Joker stuff. Asylum was the best one IMO. City may have improved the combat though.

It was a bigger disepointment for me than AC3.

PedroAntonio2
12-22-2013, 12:53 PM
I loved Arkham Origins, the gameplay was the same, but the storyline was epic. Bane is smart and not that thug that everyone likes to treat him in the other games or movies and Joker's first appearance was epic as well. Arkham City storyline was dumb, a lot of horrible plot holes....Two-Face became ridiculous in the game, being defeated easily by Catwoman TWICE, Joker was poisoned for over a year and was alive, but Batman was injected with his blood in ONE night and started to die...seriously, WTF ? And it was so obvious who was the mastermind behind Hugo Strange.. '' HURP DERP, who is the villain who wants to clean Gotham from all impurity and evil and have money and resources to create Arkham City and manipulate Strange ?'' And Mr. Freeze being your friend, then he starts to try to kill you and after that, he is your friend again.... ''' Hey, Bats...I will help you to create a cure! HAHHAHA, BRING ME NORA, OR YOU WILL DIE, I WILL TURN YOU INTO ICE, BATMAN! DIE! DIE!...ops, you defeated me! Hey, here's a ice granade, ok ? Now we are BFF =D''

PedroAntonio2
12-22-2013, 01:04 PM
City had a great gameplay, but I think the storyline couldn't do justice to Arkham Asylum.

Asylum was dark and somehow, even scary. I don't know...but walking in that corridors with lunatics everywhere and seeing all those guards dead, it scared the **** of me and walking in Croc's Lair was terrifying. City became too huge and Batman overpower, I didn't fear the enemies or the city. But in Arkham Origins, the became dark again, the Royal Hotel part where there are a lot of bodies and everywhere, it was creppy.

LoyalACFan
12-22-2013, 01:35 PM
No interest in GTA, but i have played TLOU.

The problem ain't really that the AI is stupid, but the fact that they are weak. A stupid AI can give a challenge if it is powerful, but a smart and weak AI is a easy kill, unlike a powerfull stupid AI.

Individual guards should be weak, though. The problem with the AI is not that the guards are too easy to kill, but that the living guards let you get away with the killing. "What's that, a dead body? OK, let me halfheartedly search around a little bit without calling any reinforcements, then return to my post." "Look at that Assassin slashing up my best friends, better let him finish his flashy kill animation before I intervene." That seems to be the henchman mindset. If a guard finds a dead body sitting out in the open, it should be 100% alert mode with guards scouring the area for you. If you get in a fight with three or more enemies, they shouldn't stand idly by and watch you kill them individually. Stuff like that really kills the immersion. AC works really well when guards have no idea that you're there, but once they discover you or your activities, things unravel real quick. They can't make it a hardcore stealth game where detection = failure, but they could at least work on making the enemies a little more of a threat if you trigger open conflict. Being a god in battle is only fun for so long.

PedroAntonio2
12-22-2013, 02:49 PM
I think they should introduce some of Splinter Cell Blacklist mechanics in ACV, with a smarter Ai...if they find a dead body, they will star searching for you everywhere and if you try to run behind them ,they will turn around and see you. They could introduce more distraction tools, bring back that Smoke Bomb Aim of ACR, have top option to be Lethal or Non-Lethal agaisnt the guards.

DinoSteve1
12-22-2013, 08:54 PM
In the older Assassin's Creed games, didn't bodies lying around put guards into alert status?

PedroAntonio2
12-22-2013, 10:06 PM
In the older Assassin's Creed games, didn't bodies lying around put guards into alert status?

If you were near of the dead body, they would detect easily...but in previous games, if you watch them, they just see the dead body and '' Who did this ?'' and they forgot what happened.

DarktheMagister
12-22-2013, 10:42 PM
They gotta start establishing "crime scenes". When a dead body is found by guards they should call more guards over and heavily patrol the region for a while until a higher level guard comes with some undertakers to remove the body.