PDA

View Full Version : Shao Jun needs her own game.

Gibbo2g_83
12-20-2013, 06:49 PM
I've been reading about Shao Jun on the Assassins Creed Wikia page and I think that she would make an awesome main character with her own game if you don't know anything about her this is what it says about her weapons and fighting style.

Shao Jun wielded a Chinese*jian*as her primary weapon, and while she had no*Hidden Blade, she did have a total of six throwing needles tucked under her bracers as secondary weapons. Accompanying this, Jun also had a concealed blade under her right foot, which she used in tandem with her acrobatic skills against enemies.She was extensively trained in combat by the Order, and was an adept and agile fighter, with her fighting style being heavily reminiscent of the Chinese martial art of*Wushu, which involved ample flexibility and knowledge in both unarmed and sword combat.Jun's arsenal of weapons were also fitted for her style of combat, as they were light yet deadly. To lower suspicion in public areas, she concealed her weapons in her attire, save for the jian, which she kept sheathed across her back.

It also says she made the rope dart so she would be an absolute expert with it which opens so many possibilities with new combat animations and the blade on her right foot just sounds a really good different idea. I would of course give her the hidden blades as we'll I think they have to be in every game it just wouldn't be the same without them.
So does anyone else think she would be awesome?

dxsxhxcx
12-20-2013, 07:11 PM
I would prefer to play as an Assassin under her tutelage or a grandson/daughter (after she passed away), she's some sort of mystery for us because we know so little about her and at the same time she (probably) holds the answer to another mystery that is the content of the box Ezio gave to her. a game in China IMO should be about that, discover little by little about Shao Jun's life as an Assassin (and probably a Mentor like Ezio) and also solve the mystery about the box...

I see a game like this being similar to ACR, with an Assassin following the footsteps of another one, but without the memory seals, just manuscripts (her and other Assassins codexes maybe?) and stories told by people who lived at her side, leaving the "images" of her life to the imagination of the player to create...

ps: IMO a game set in Japan or China should also have a higher focus on "hand to hand" combat than weapons, similar to Sleeping Dogs...

TrapBeastly96
12-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Why replace the hidden blades with a weapon with limited ammo?

Gibbo2g_83
12-20-2013, 08:11 PM
That sounds like a good idea dsxshxcx I just think it would be a great way to have a completely different fighting style to what we've had so far. They could even make a few games maybe starting with Shao Jun and then your idea showing how the box has ended up where it is.
I also agree with you about the Sleeping Dogs style combat that is awesome.

Gibbo2g_83
12-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Why replace the hidden blades with a weapon with limited ammo?

That's the one thing i would change about her I would give her the hidden blades it wouldn't be the same without them would it :)

dxsxhxcx
12-20-2013, 08:33 PM
to be frank I don't think I would miss the hidden blades, like someone said in another thread, it lost its uniqueness when they turned it into a weapon like a dagger or a sword...

Gibbo2g_83
12-20-2013, 09:00 PM
to be frank I don't think I would miss the hidden blades, like someone said in another thread, it lost its uniqueness when they turned it into a weapon like a dagger or a sword...

I think there would be uproar if they made a game without the hidden blades but then again if they did a new fighting style right especially with the rope dart and foot blade people may get over the lack of the hidden blades.
I would keep them though I like the noise to much that they make when you flick them out :)

MnemonicSyntax
12-20-2013, 09:26 PM

But they've been a weapon like that since day one.

Unless you mean Ezio's wild swinging, but then that all stopped with Connor.

killzab
12-20-2013, 09:27 PM
But they've been a weapon like that since day one.

Unless you mean Ezio's wild swinging, but then that all stopped with Connor.

Hidden blades are a trademark of the series, like the hood/beak. It just has to be there, because it's AC.

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 09:28 PM
I'd rather play a new character.

Besides, they wouldn't make a game playing as her specifically because they've already covered her in a previous thing, being Embers. Like they're not going to make a game on Nikolai either.

MnemonicSyntax
12-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Hidden blades are a trademark of the series, like the hood/beak. It just has to be there, because it's AC.

That's not what I meant. I was talking about how the hidden blades became a "dagger" or "sword."

Some people think the hidden blade shouldn't be used in combat. It's been like that since day one.

aL_____eX
12-20-2013, 09:50 PM
That's not what I meant. I was talking about how the hidden blades became a "dagger" or "sword."

Some people think the hidden blade shouldn't be used in combat. It's been like that since day one.
I never use them in combat. They are reserved for assassinations only. One thing I could imagine would be, if we go to China for example, that the Hidden Blades are no longer are bound two the wrists. Shao Jun's foot-blade is awesome. Imagine jumping down on some templars, kick-stabing them with the blade. And there could be some cool new killing animations, too, due to a new fighting style. Just an idea.

MnemonicSyntax
12-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I never use them in combat. They are reserved for assassinations only. One thing I could imagine would be, if we go to China for example, that the Hidden Blades are no longer are bound two the wrists. Shao Jun's foot-blade is awesome. Imagine jumping down on some templars, kick-stabing them with the blade. And there could be some cool new killing animations, too, due to a new fighting style. Just an idea.

Well, as long as that's not forced and you choose to play that way, that's fine with me.

I love using the blades in combat, it makes CQC look very unique, like a dance.

aL_____eX
12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
I have to admit, I often used them in Black Flag because I didn't like the dual swords. And they are awesome in combat and you're right it should be free decision how to fight. For me it's just the way it's supposed to be. Assassinate with the blade, fight with swords/guns/whatever.

Like a dance? You just gave me some weird inner cinema of Edward or Ezio dancing while in combat. ;)

MIA SILENT
12-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Since using the hidden blades in combat became slow I tend to stick to the other main weapons. I think Connor' Tomahawk is my all time favourite.

aL_____eX
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Speaking of dancing in combat Edward already proved he has some sick skills. Maybe one of my all time favorite AC moments... Too bad I've never experienced one of those funny glitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NlhOzOQAAw

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 10:16 PM

AC4 is proof that non-beaked hoods are BA and should be here to stay...

Gibbo2g_83
12-20-2013, 10:26 PM

I completely agree imagine rope darting someone, dragging them to you and then spinning kick them with the foot blade it would be so ace and completely different to all of the other Assassins they could have her using the rope dart similar to what Go Go uses the ball and chain thing in the Kill Bill film.

Consus_E
12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Yes please!

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-21-2013, 12:34 AM
AC4 is proof that non-beaked hoods are BA and should be here to stay...

...no.

I'm fine with them as an option but it should be up to the player. I've said before, we should be able to purchase different hood styles. Non-beaked, beaked and closed like Altair, beaked and open like Ezio. The non-beaked hood can even be the default hood you first acquire and then you get hooded version later if you want to.

But beaked hoods should not be disregarded in favor of non-beaked hoods. Sorry but everyone else uses non-beaked hoods. Jedi and Sith, the robes in Elder Scrolls, the robes in any show or film or game or cartoon or anime or comic or manga. The beak provided something that made the hood original. It was distinct for the series. From a realistic standpoint -- yeah sure, hoods in general are probably not always best to use to blend in but that's not an argument against beaked hoods and FOR non-beaked hoods -- it's against hoods in general. While I get the idea of wanting more realistic outfits and not just white hooded robes -- it's iconic and sorry, the game alreayd has us leaping from towers into haystacks and surviving. Every. Single. Time. We have alien-esque people, golden orbs that control minds, and a vision that lets us see the auras of people.

I think we can give the series artistic license when it comes to the outfits of the protagonists.

Beaked hoods are not necessarily COOLER than non-beaked hoods but they ARE more unique even if it boils down to just a triangle at the tip whereas the standard hood, is well, standard.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 12:42 AM
I agree beaked hoods ftw, but in the case of Edward he technically was not an Assassin till the very end.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Also. Dear god no. If we're having an asian assassin, please let's not have hidden blades in shoes. I know she had it in Embers but I disliked it there. IT's just cliche.

Oh, it just HAPPENS that the first asian AC will have a hidden blade in the shoe meaning her assassinations will be flying kicks? Really. Asian. Flying kick, air assassination. And this forums thinks NINJAS would be cliche?! *facepalm*

I think elbow blades would be a much cooler idea and still be unique compared to the hidden blades of the series.

Basically, the default position would have the blades up against her forearm and when they extend, they flip out and come off her elbow. Almost like how a windshield begins down and then once on, will arc over to the other side. Same idea so it'll extend outward, away from her elbow and forearm so she can do some cool elbowing moves while assassinating people. Less cliche, still unique, would be pretty cool IMO.

Kagurra
12-21-2013, 01:12 AM
...no.

I'm fine with them as an option but it should be up to the player. I've said before, we should be able to purchase different hood styles. Non-beaked, beaked and closed like Altair, beaked and open like Ezio. The non-beaked hood can even be the default hood you first acquire and then you get hooded version later if you want to.

But beaked hoods should not be disregarded in favor of non-beaked hoods. Sorry but everyone else uses non-beaked hoods. Jedi and Sith, the robes in Elder Scrolls, the robes in any show or film or game or cartoon or anime or comic or manga. The beak provided something that made the hood original. It was distinct for the series. From a realistic standpoint -- yeah sure, hoods in general are probably not always best to use to blend in but that's not an argument against beaked hoods and FOR non-beaked hoods -- it's against hoods in general. While I get the idea of wanting more realistic outfits and not just white hooded robes -- it's iconic and sorry, the game alreayd has us leaping from towers into haystacks and surviving. Every. Single. Time. We have alien-esque people, golden orbs that control minds, and a vision that lets us see the auras of people.

I think we can give the series artistic license when it comes to the outfits of the protagonists.

Beaked hoods are not necessarily COOLER than non-beaked hoods but they ARE more unique even if it boils down to just a triangle at the tip whereas the standard hood, is well, standard.

I like them... The beaked hoods look a bit silly sometimes IMO. It was super exaggerated in AC3 especially.

Besides, I never thought the beak of the hood was the iconic part, it was the white hood itself. You already have hidden blades and a red sash, anything more and you're just painting assassin on yourself if you want to argue it in a contextual sense, but that's silly. Non-beaked just looks better IMO. But let's be real, they're not going to add in different hood styles for variety. And even if they did, it wouldn't be "Select any hood you like on any outfit", it would be "This outfit has this hood, and this outfit has that hood." Which doesn't solve anything because of the two could be ugly.

But I do agree with you on the hidden blade boots thing.

Consus_E
12-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Also. Dear god no. If we're having an asian assassin, please let's not have hidden blades in shoes. I know she had it in Embers but I disliked it there. IT's just cliche.
Oh, it just HAPPENS that the first asian AC will have a hidden blade in the shoe meaning her assassinations will be flying kicks? Really. Asian. Flying kick, air assassination. And this forums thinks NINJAS would be cliche?! *facepalm*

How about a Rope Dart Blade? Like the original concept art for Connor's rope dart...
http://i.imgur.com/HvwPm.png
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121121170143/assassinscreed/images/e/eb/Chain_Blade_by_WilliamWu.jpg

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2013, 03:08 AM
How about a Rope Dart Blade? Like the original concept art for Connor's rope dart...
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121121170143/assassinscreed/images/e/eb/Chain_Blade_by_WilliamWu.jpg
My god... that is awesome. Damn the playtesters who kept making Scorpion jokes... damn them to hell.

SixKeys
12-21-2013, 03:11 AM
How is the rope dart in the final game even that different? You can still pull enemies towards you and assassinate them.

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 03:15 AM
I know I keep posting this video, but at the end it shows what you can do with the rope dart during double kills.

Very Scorpion like in nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiepNyZQFQs

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 03:22 PM

A rope dart blade would be ace. I really think Shao Jun would be an awesome Assassin to play as because they could make the combat completely different and it says she's acrobatic so that would mean a different free running movement style as well. The more I think about the more I think Shao Jun would be awesome.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 03:30 PM

If it was just used in aerial assassinations and combat animations, I think it would be fine. But if it's used for on-ground low-profile assassinations, then yeah, that would be cheesy.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I can imagine Shao Jun using a rope dart similar to this. this would also make a good upgrade system start with rope upgrade to chain , spiked chain and stuff like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsWYV2bWAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LoyalACFan
12-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I can imagine Shao Jun using a rope dart similar to this. this would also make a good upgrade system start with rope upgrade to chain , spiked chain and stuff like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsWYV2bWAc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That's not a rope dart, I believe it's called a meteor hammer.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 04:10 PM
That's not a rope dart, I believe it's called a meteor hammer.

I know its not a rope dart but I'm sure a rope dart could be used in a similar way especially if it was a rope dart blade :)

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I know its not a rope dart but I'm sure a rope dart could be used in a similar way especially if it was a rope dart blade :)I'm pretty sure that was the weapon that was replaced by the Rope Dart. Ubi chose not to use it because it reminded them of Mortal Kombat and it didn't feel right in an AC game.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that was the weapon that was replaced by the Rope Dart. Ubi chose not to use it because it reminded them of Mortal Kombat and it didn't feel right in an AC game.

That's a shame I think it could be ace. Did Scorpion ever use it apart from the get over here thing though? I haven't really played Mortal Kombat much so all I saw was the get over here move.

RinoTheBouncer
12-21-2013, 04:44 PM
People should stop clinging to Hidden Blades, they’re not even relevant anymore as of the last two entries. In ACIII, it was all about the Tomahawk and the War Clubs and in ACIV, it’s all about the dual swords and the pistols.

roostersrule2
12-21-2013, 04:47 PM
People should stop clinging to Hidden Blades, they’re not even relevant anymore as of the last two entries. In ACIII, it was all about the Tomahawk and the War Clubs and in ACIV, it’s all about the dual swords and the pistols.You can't not have Hidden Blades, they're an important part of the franchise.

You can always choose not to use them.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 05:00 PM
People should stop clinging to Hidden Blades, they’re not even relevant anymore as of the last two entries. In ACIII, it was all about the Tomahawk and the War Clubs and in ACIV, it’s all about the dual swords and the pistols.

I think the hidden blades and the hood have to be in every game its the games trademark. I used them more than the swords in black flag because I think having 2 swords spoiled the tool aspect of the game in that Edward has to sheave the swords before using a tool. Connors tomahawk was ace though infact I think 3 was the best out of them all for the combat and weapons the missions were so boring though for the most part.

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I think the hidden blades and the hood have to be in every game its the games trademark. I used them more than the swords in black flag because I think having 2 swords spoiled the tool aspect of the game in that Edward has to sheave the swords before using a tool. Connors tomahawk was ace though infact I think 3 was the best out of them all for the combat and weapons the missions were so boring though for the most part.

No he doesn't. Check the video I posted on the last page. You can use both at the same time.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
No he doesn't. Check the video I posted on the last page. You can use both at the same time.

I'm talking about the swords not the hidden blades in that video its all hidden blades with tools

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm talking about the swords not the hidden blades in that video its all hidden blades with tools

You can still do it with swords.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't mind this but for the love of God and all that is Holy give her a different voice actor...

thecodeman715
12-21-2013, 06:21 PM
I would love to see Shao Jun get her own game, along with Nikolai and Adewale.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-21-2013, 06:43 PM

lol no.

AC3's tomahawk is awesome. War clubs? I never even used them so no. As for AC4 -- dual swords? Really? It'll be fun at first but is no way unique compared to other games out there. IT's all about the hidden blades, whether you think they should be utilized only for Assassinations or in combat, they need to be there.

@Everyone: I honestly believed AC1 didn't allow hidden blade combat. My mind was blown when I replayed it and discovered you can do it. Only it's really difficult to pull off compared to AC2, ACB, and so on. (x

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 06:47 PM
lol no.

AC3's tomahawk is awesome. War clubs? I never even used them so no. As for AC4 -- dual swords? Really? It'll be fun at first but is no way unique compared to other games out there. IT's all about the hidden blades, whether you think they should be utilized only for Assassinations or in combat, they need to be there.

@Everyone: I honestly believed AC1 didn't allow hidden blade combat. My mind was blown when I replayed it and discovered you can do it. Only it's really difficult to pull off compared to AC2, ACB, and so on. (x

It is more difficult, but also feels a bit more rewarding for some reason, even though the results are the same, instant kill.

I-Like-Pie45
12-21-2013, 07:12 PM
If SJ does get her own game, the VA should be done in actual Chinese dialects with English subtitles.

cuz immersion

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 07:27 PM
If SJ does get her own game, the VA should be done in actual Chinese dialects with English subtitles.

cuz immersion

I'd be down for that, actually.

I mean, make it an option, but absolutely.

Kagurra
12-21-2013, 09:01 PM
lol no.

I also had no idea you could use the hidden blade in combat in AC1, but then again I was a LOT younger and less perceptive. Now I don't ever miss a beat. The dual swords are cooler than you think though, they're almost as iconic to Edward as the Assassin tomahawk was to Connor. Obviously not to that same degree, but still. They fit him perfectly. War clubs in AC3, gross. I never equipped heavy weapons to my character, just picked them up off of the ground.

There's no way I can go back and replay AC1 now anyways. I first played it on PS3, then I moved to 360 before AC2 came out, so even if I still had my 360, which I don't, I couldn't pick it up to play it. I'd be totally okay with a remake even though it'll never happen. I just loved the immersion and feel of that game. It was "Go into this large city, and assassinate this man." and then you did it. It was more like how it would happen IRL, instead of a bunch of explosions and cinematic cutscenes. I miss that.

Gibbo2g_83
12-21-2013, 09:53 PM

cuz immersion

I wouldn't mind that at all but I think it would put some people off I know a lot of people who won't watch films with subtitles so I think the same would go for games its a sad thing really because they miss out on some amazing films.

MnemonicSyntax
12-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Just make it optional. Street Fighter IV has the option. Not too difficult.

Kagurra
12-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Just make it optional. Street Fighter IV has the option. Not too difficult.

AC won't do it. The only games that do it are games that are developed in that country, Japan is a large example. Lots of anime games have english and japanese, because those are both the target audiences. Metal Gear does the same thing, and while I'd use the English voicing for that game, if I were to play an anime game I'd use Japanese. Ubisoft isn't that kind of company, and in the end it's based on the company, not the setting of their games. They will most likely use some phrases and dialect of the native language just like in all other AC games, AC2 being what I have in mind specifically.