PDA

View Full Version : Imagine All The Ships in Black Flag Are Current Era Ships

NeoMorph WTH
12-20-2013, 04:53 AM
Yup... the way the ships move in Black Flag seem almost like they are powerboats than wind powered.

There was this one ship that had stopped in the middle of the ocean so I thought "I'll go and one-man-boarding-party" it... I jump in the water and just as I get to it, the ship takes off like it's a jet ski... and this is supposed to be A MAN O'WAR?

Watch a video of kids on jet skis going round in circles and then watch an AI combat scenario in Black Flag... Eerily similar.

It's a shame there wasn't an option for playing the game in realistic mode where you have to use the wind right and where you couldn't turn on a dime. I'm not saying totally real where you have to work out the sextant and such for courses but to have combat where stealing the enemies wind to slow them down would have been cool. Where storms mean high waves and ALSO higher speeds for the ship (if the sails don't tear). If the sails do tear you have to limp into port on what you have left.

Oh and what would have really made capturing ships more fun... being able to sail them as well. I would have loved to have been able to sail a fully fitted out MOW. Maybe they will come out with Grand Theft Sailing Ship.

Oh and why no parrots?

Assassin_M
12-20-2013, 04:56 AM
it's a simulation. A game. if ships went at 12 knots like they did at that time, it'd be boring....how many of these threads are we going to have? -_-

HiddenKiller612
12-20-2013, 04:56 AM
:l

pirate1802
12-20-2013, 05:03 AM
Men o War suck btw. I think that Royal Fortune (or whatever it was called, Robert's ship) was one? I was cursing to make it move faster. But they don't. A fully pimped out Jackdaw can fire as efficiently as a Man o War but at the same time move much more quickly. The only thing I liked on that MoW was those cannons fitted in its *** which fired backwards. Those were pretty cool.

NeoMorph WTH
12-20-2013, 05:20 AM
it's a simulation. A game. if ships went at 12 knots like they did at that time, it'd be boring....how many of these threads are we going to have? -_-

I wasn't saying that it would be for everyone. I said an OPTION... It's an Arcade Simulation at present... compressed distances, ships that move too fast, can turn even though they aren't moving etc... I understand that. I was just thinking that for those who like a good sim to make an effort to give you the feeling of pirate combat... where there are tactics you can use and not just "Those with the biggest guns wins" type of tactics. Kerbal Space Program is a simulation. It also has compressed distances etc but it really IS a simulation of a space program. You would probably hate it because even though the rockets fly fast, they have huge distances to travel. Personally I love games like that.

Oh and actually Assassin's Creed is actually a simulation of a simulation lol. Brings to mind the movie The Thirteenth Floor. In fact come to think of it, AC really IS a type of Thirteenth Floor.

Options ARE GOOD is what I am trying to say. If you think that ships going their real speed is boring then you are nothing but what if commonly termed as a "casual gamer" who just have no time to play the game as it should be played. Nothing wrong with that but why do you think that casual gamer's needs should come before hardcore gamer's needs? I know some hardcore gamers who think that casual gamers are responsible for the dearth of good games nowadays. Everything is social this and casual that and suggestions that would please hardcore gamers are an evil to be banished.

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 05:21 AM
All your threads are negative.

pirate1802
12-20-2013, 05:25 AM
AC already has the best excuse in the world: The Animus made them move faster. There.

Shahkulu101
12-20-2013, 05:28 AM
AC already has the best excuse in the world: The Animus made them move faster. There.

The Animus prevents any immersion breaking moments for me pretty much.

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 05:31 AM

That is the literal explanation for "Travel Speed". It says it somewhere in a loading screen or menu something like "Through a little Animus trick we can speed up travel times with this mode" or something like that. At least I think I read or heard that somewhere...

pirate1802
12-20-2013, 05:35 AM
Yes it is, its an animus trick and ships don't actually move that fast. And the game pretty much tells this straight up lol. Not seeing where the problem is. Its not a realistic ship simulator but its also not supposed to be.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Boo hoo. How come my character can also cut through hordes of enemies even though it'd be REALLY, REALLYYY hard to do so in real life? How come my character can ALSO dive off a ridiculously high tower and survive the impact thanks only to a pile of hay? Wahhh, I want everything to be realistic because THAT'S fun. -_-

Kagurra
12-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Boo hoo. How come my character can also cut through hordes of enemies even though it'd be REALLY, REALLYYY hard to do so in real life? How come my character can ALSO dive off a ridiculously high tower and survive the impact thanks only to a pile of hay? Wahhh, I want everything to be realistic because THAT'S fun. -_-

You tell 'em Bob.

But yeah, in all seriousness I never see non-complainy threads from this guy.

NeoMorph WTH
12-21-2013, 12:24 AM
*SIGH*

I wasn't complaining. I WAS JUST SUGGESTING THAT IT WOULD BE NICE IF IT WAS AN OPTION.

Darn fanboys are so touchy about their precious. If you can't tell the difference between a "It's good but XYZ could have made it better" and "OMFG THIS PILE OF DOODOO SHOULD BE DITCHED" then they should go back to school and learn what the difference is. I do complain about problems where games are released before they have been properly debugged. If they can pull Watch Dogs for not being ready then why couldn't they have done the same for AC4?. That's why my previous posts were complaints.

Oh and the learn the difference between a simulation and an arcade game. AC is definitely an arcade game while something like Flight Simulator is a simulation.

Oh and jumping off buildings? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruPq7FmRXiQ&hd=1

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Can you imagine the ships went at the real speed, it would take weeks or maybe even months to do anything :s

NeoMorph WTH
12-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Can you imagine the ships went at the real speed, it would take weeks or maybe even months to do anything :s

Hence the inclusion of "Travel Speed". Currently I can't see much difference between travel speed and full speed. I think that originally there was more of a difference but they wanted to court more casual gamers. Just wish they had included an extra hard difficulty like other games do to court hardcore gamers (hence hardcore difficulty).

Not saying it should be for EVERYONE... but the hard parts should be hard because they are more based on real life, like Forza for example. That caters for casual and hardcore gamers alike and doesn't include cars that can accelerate to 60mph in 1 second to make it hard.

Ahh well, I've nearly finished with AC4 now. Everything but the mini games completed in the main game and just have to finish off Freedom Cry (just doling it out in small portions to make it last longer). You won't get any more observations (which the fanboys read as "complaints") from no on.

I was glad I bought the game even though the game is full of the most hilarious glitches out there...

Megas_Doux
12-21-2013, 02:01 AM
I agree, in fact I would deem other AC´s guilty, for example:

AC I Parkour the way Assassins do at that speed is unhuman, but the original AC just crosses the line, imagine to do all that stuff without having a finger, his ligaments should have been utterly torn by the third sequence!!!!! Hire a kinesiologist next time ubisoft!

AC2/ACB Leonardo´s flying machine just CANNOT glide, let alone fly. I mean the lift effect that a mere fire pile would produce is pretty small, ask for the opinion of an aeronautical engineer o and a physicist!!!!!!!!!

ACR: Although the greek fire is well done, some of the bombs are just too unrealistic, any scientist would tell you that crafting a bomb is a "work of art" so to speak, that takes time, and no 30 second like Ezio does. Plus doing parkour with such unstable materials is too risky. Chemist or a Chemical engineering would have been welcomed.....

Kagurra
12-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Hence the inclusion of "Travel Speed". Currently I can't see much difference between travel speed and full speed. I think that originally there was more of a difference but they wanted to court more casual gamers. Just wish they had included an extra hard difficulty like other games do to court hardcore gamers (hence hardcore difficulty).

Not saying it should be for EVERYONE... but the hard parts should be hard because they are more based on real life, like Forza for example. That caters for casual and hardcore gamers alike and doesn't include cars that can accelerate to 60mph in 1 second to make it hard.

Ahh well, I've nearly finished with AC4 now. Everything but the mini games completed in the main game and just have to finish off Freedom Cry (just doling it out in small portions to make it last longer). You won't get any more observations (which the fanboys read as "complaints") from no on.

I was glad I bought the game even though the game is full of the most hilarious glitches out there...

AC4 isn't that glitchy. I haven't encountered any of the "big" ones. Like one or two times I had to restart from checkpoint because of an objective disappearing but that's it really.

AC has never had a difficulty setting or option, and it never will. If it didn't have it in AC1, why would it have it now? The game hasn't gotten any more hardcore, easily arguably less so. It's just not that kind of game. Go look somewhere else. AC is going to be AC in it's fundamentals, and you can't change those, at least not instantly.

Just wait until Metal Gear Solid V comes out, then you can walk yourself across a vast desert in real time if that's your jist. Or you can be even more realistic and jump on a horse or a car like they do in the demo for said mission, but that'll probably be too quick for you even though it's more realistic.

And hey, while you're at it, just go slug around on the ground outside like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mknOYLuQSy8

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2013, 03:03 AM
That last line about parrots... that's where I can't take you seriously.

DinoSteve1
12-21-2013, 03:08 AM
How would taking longer to get from one point in the game to another point be an improvement in difficulty, the only thing it would be is a waste of time. Next thing you be looking for realism in how fast characters can run because you can't run across an entire city in a few minutes.

pirate1802
12-21-2013, 05:49 AM
The problem is, you cannot have a "realistic ship mode" and not have it for the rest of the game. Why? Because what makes ships so important as to have a seperate realistic mode and not the other core mechanics with the game? And when you start looking at the rest of the game, well you open a Pandora's box. Start by looking at how a man can sprint across cities in minutes. We can't have that. And so on and so forth.

And as others have pointed out, making the ships move realistically won't make it harder (maybe for you) but I'm sure for any others it would be a chore. The devs infact pointed this out. Fun over realism they said, and I completely agree.