PDA

View Full Version : I actually quite enjoyed Freedom Cry.

LoyalACFan
12-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Granted, my expectations were near zero after playing the terrible Aveline DLC. I was expecting one small map maybe the size of Monteriggioni, with no free-roam to speak of and a crap story. On the contrary, I got a decent little DLC with a couple of fun infiltration missions, a pretty good story considering it's only nine missions, and a decent dose of fan service. It's without a doubt the best AC DLC to date IMO.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised?

AngryRaisin
12-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Yes. I am also pleasantly surprised. I do feel like the memories are rather abbreviated but then it's DLC, so that is justified and to be expected, IMO.

DarktheMagister
12-19-2013, 04:35 AM
I am also really liking Freedom Cry so far.

And I liked the Aveline Teaser because I understood it was a teaser. I mean heck...Liberation HD is coming out in like 5 weeks. The "DLC" was really only hype generation.

Besides it had Dr. Judge as the villain... How delightfully comic book evil. I mean his name is DOCTOR JUDGE... thats 2 professions for the price of 1!

HiddenKiller612
12-19-2013, 04:42 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ade was a great choice, though it saddens me he more than likely won't get a full game.... Dat blunderbuss... the raw power of it... Was awesome.

LoyalACFan
12-19-2013, 06:21 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ade was a great choice, though it saddens me he more than likely won't get a full game.... Dat blunderbuss... the raw power of it... Was awesome.

I remember the final mission where four guards are standing outside the main gate, and I just blew them all to pieces :p

UbisoftSlick
12-19-2013, 06:26 AM
Mission design was flawed in it, but I enjoyed it. I mostly got the DLC for the exploration of some more accurately-portrayed locations. I like to feel like I can explore tons of time periods at my own will.

[SPOILERS]

A little side note - My favorite mission was the one where you have to save the slaves from the ship.

Consus_E
12-19-2013, 08:12 AM
I hope we get more DLC for AC4... I really want a Mary Read DLC

ThisIsBrybry
12-19-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm about half way through but I'm really liking it. I'd play a whole game of this for sure.

It's kind of fun to start out with more tools like the darts and cut right to the chase of going around wrecking dudes.

and Bastienne, ooh la la! :o

AngryRaisin
12-19-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm kind of with you, Bry. I really love Ade and the whole premise. In fact, I sort of wish AC4 had been based on Ade rather than Edward but whatever. I still enjoyed it. I love Bastienne as a character (not because of Ooh la la factor as I'm a straight female LOL). I kept waiting for them to do just one little mission or sequence where she used Voodoo. :)

aL_____eX
12-19-2013, 09:19 AM
I was looking forward to Freedom Cry so much and didn't get disappointed. I think it's the best AC story DLC so far (if you look at things like the Lost Archive from Revelations). I really enjoyed Adewale as he is a very interesting character. Also the free roaming part was huge, which I didn't expect it would be.

Only thing that was a bit bad was sometimes the mission design. Memory 6 (the investigations) was just awful. How did they make it to mess up the eavesdropping so much? And didn't like the optional objectives.

Besides that Freedom Cry is 8.75/10

jetlee2777
12-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Yes I also enjoyed the DLC so far,whish only again of course that it would be a little bit longer but well thatīs why itīs only a DLC and not a full game story.

And I like Bastienne too whish only that there would be a little romance between her and Adewale as I think in the end she was sad when he left her and was hopeing somehow I guess for a goodbye kiss or so.hehe. and I really like that native african music and yeah would like to see Bastienne doing some Voodoo.

Only thing that was a bit bad was sometimes the mission design. Memory 6 (the investigations) was just awful. How did they make it to mess up the eavesdropping so much? And didn't like the optional objectives.

@aL_____eX And yes Memory 6 was glitched,cause it said that you have to do the investigations without "killing" anybody,but when yourīre just only using your fists it wonīt count though donīt know why.

aL_____eX
12-19-2013, 01:18 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Yeah but for me it was more than just not killing anyone. First you had to run away for like 10 minutes after every investigation because guards went crazy on you. And then there were four guards standing next to the cottage where the eavesdropping ended. I watched about 5 videos and no one had these annoying four french *****! They spotted me every freakin time I tried to run into the bushes.

But the mission where you had to rescue the slaves from the ship lets me really overlook this ... crap.

MinoDan
12-19-2013, 01:26 PM
I was looking forward to Freedom Cry so much and didn't get disappointed. I think it's the best AC story DLC so far (if you look at things like the Lost Archive from Revelations). I really enjoyed Adewale as he is a very interesting character. Also the free roaming part was huge, which I didn't expect it would be.

Besides that Freedom Cry is 8.75/10

The Investigations were such a throwback to Assassin's Creed 1.
I hate this memory with a vengeance!

I hope everyone awarded the mission a 1 star rating so we never have to see something like that again!

jetlee2777
12-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah I know this happened also to me that when the guards saw me I donīt know they went like crazy after me and wanted to kill me and I always have to escape from them.

I mean I can understand it,if the "slave wardens" can identify you as they know that you was a "former" slave because of your stigma.

But the other guards?,how could they even "know" you?

And yes I know what you mean there were also always those four french guards respawing,and before I could even hide into the bushes they saw me already and attacked me.

But best what you can do is just stand on the rooftop of the barrack,cause there you can do the eavesdropping of the two scientists,without that anybody will spot you.

aL_____eX
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm surely not new to AC games but the last time I got this mad was when I had to 100% Leonardo's bullsh*t war machines (I will never forget that tank! :mad:)
I think half time of playing the DLC was this mission, I just didn't get this done. But in the end its the satisfaction you get for 100% Synch that counts.

MinoDan
12-19-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm surely not new to AC games but the last time I got this mad was when I had to 100% Leonardo's bullsh*t war machines (I will never forget that tank! :mad:)
I think half time of playing the DLC was this mission, I just didn't get this done. But in the end its the satisfaction you get for 100% Synch that counts.
The only AC memory were I never reached full synch....

Thanks for reminding me!!!! lol

marcbryan
12-19-2013, 02:27 PM
The eavesdropping mission during the investigations was pretty frustrating but definitely more of a challenge. Overall the game was wonderful and humbling especially raiding plantations while people were singing and working. The soundtrack was very fitting, as well. I liked how it incorporated a lot of the same gameplay mechanics as Black Flag but felt like a completely different experience.

aL_____eX
12-19-2013, 02:32 PM
The eavesdropping mission during the investigations was pretty frustrating but definitely more of a challenge. Overall the game was wonderful and humbling especially raiding plantations while people were singing and working. The soundtrack was very fitting, as well. I liked how it incorporated a lot of the same gameplay mechanics as Black Flag but felt like a completely different experience.
These are the things I love most about the DLC.
1. Raiding plantations (I loved the warehouses in the main game, but this was way better)
2. MACHETE & BLUNDERBUSS!!!
3. Soundtrack (especially the AAADDDEEEWWWAAALLLEEE at the viewpoints)
4. Saving slaves felt just good
5. Naval was challenging again, after not having my beast mode Jackdaw anymore. (especially when attacking the slave ship convoys)

Charles_Phipps
12-19-2013, 05:42 PM
My only problem with Adewale is I wanted him to be a PIRATE assassin.

He's an assassin alone.

Which is kind of "meh."

Edward never got to be a PIRATE assassin either.

I feel cheated.

aL_____eX
12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm still wondering about who the recurring character is, Ubisoft promised as if I'm not wrong? Is it the Jackdaw?

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Seems like this is bug ridden. Hopefully it will be fixed by March.

MinoDan
12-19-2013, 08:37 PM
My only problem with Adewale is I wanted him to be a PIRATE assassin.

He's an assassin alone.

Which is kind of "meh."

Edward never got to be a PIRATE assassin either.

I feel cheated.

To be fair by definiton that can never happen.

An Assassin living by the Creed would never indulge in such a life.
After all thats why it takes so long for Edward to come around.

Charles_Phipps
12-19-2013, 08:45 PM
To be fair by definiton that can never happen.

An Assassin living by the Creed would never indulge in such a life.
After all thats why it takes so long for Edward to come around.

The Creed more or less states that you do what's necessary to achieve moral goals you, yourself, have decided are moral. It boils down to, "think for yourself and do not let yourself be told what's right or what's wrong."

So, really, the Creed doesn't forbid piracy.

It's just, well, the Caribbean Chapter doesn't think that's very moral.

HiddenKiller612
12-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Loved everything, besides some of the mission design... It was much more difficult to do the investigations when the area was swarming with enemies... I had to constantly redo them...
The bluderbuss was awesome, and the one you get for 100% sync... op as a muhfuh. My only regret is Ade won't get his own game... but I'd settle for another dlc with him.

Charles_Phipps
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
It's a much-much darker tale than Black Flag.

It's a great-great story, though, but I'm glad its DLC.

I couldn't play something so unrelentingly grim for an entire 40 hours.

MinoDan
12-19-2013, 08:50 PM
As much as I love Adewale I really hope the next storybased DLC (if we even get another) will center around Mary Read.

She was by far the standout character in "Black Flag" and criminally underused.

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:53 PM
As much as I love Adewale I really hope the next storybased DLC (if we even get another) will center around Mary Read.

She was by far the standout character in "Black Flag" and criminally underused.

There is no more story DLC

killzab
12-19-2013, 08:54 PM
There is no more story DLC

We don't know that yet.

pacmanate
12-19-2013, 08:56 PM
We don't know that yet.

I'll bet you my testicles. The season pass stated the DLC that would be out. Ubi churn out AC now, no more time for DLC.

Charles_Phipps
12-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I'll bet you my testicles. The season pass stated the DLC that would be out. Ubi churn out AC now, no more time for DLC.

Frankly, I'm not looking forward to that.

Full steam ahead doesn't let us savor.