PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Ubisoft to allow controller remapping on PS4

lagrue
12-18-2013, 08:46 PM
I already beat this game on PS3, but I took advantage of the deal to upgrade to PS4... Naturally, I've just spent 60 hours playing with the PS3 controls... the Ps4 controls aren't that different, however I find the game on Ps4 completely unplayable because If ind myself unable to adapt to the trigger reverses... this is not Xbox... I played all 6 titles on PS3 use R1 to run, I don't want to hold R2, it doesn't feel natural. I'm not suggesting by any means they need to alter the default setup, but I want the option to reverse my triggers or remap my buttons... I've been holding off playing the PS4 version now since launch, because after 10 minutes of gameplay, I was angry, frustrated and feeling alienated from the control scheme I grew to know. After 6 years now of playing these games it's just too damn hard to adapt.

Please Ubisoft, even if I'm in the minority, fix this, because I cannot play your game as it stands now.

phoenix-force411
12-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Umm, you do realize that there is a mechanic that only PC(if using xbox controller), Xbox One, and PS4, controllers can only achieve, right? This mechanic isn't available on PS3. I haven't seen anyone do it yet in ACIV on PS4, but since the remapping it is possible. I hate that the PS3 isn't like the other ones.

lagrue
12-18-2013, 09:35 PM
What, I can't even make out what you're saying, not to offend? I don't know what feature that is but I find it hard to believe that switching R1 to R2 and vice versa would have ANY effect on it... All I want to do is switch 2 buttons.

phoenix-force411
12-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Hahaha! Woops, I meant cannot be done PS3. I made a thread about this mechanic and how I wasn't able to perform it on PS3...

lagrue
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
If the mechanic you mean is the Controller Remapping, Ps4 doesn't have it either... I'm playing the PS4 version right now and I cannot edit my controls at all, it's not an option.

phoenix-force411
12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/815541-Running-on-Beams-Tree-branches?

lagrue
12-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Ah, I see now what it is... I'm booting up the PS3 version now, I'll check the ps4 version right after and update my post.

EDIT: You are certainly right, it's impossible on the PS3 version, the people in your thread don't know what they're talking about, you can't jog on the beams only run full speed or walk. Testing the Ps4 version now.

EDIT 2: It does in fact work on the PS4 version, though I don't find it particularly useful still since I can't use R2 properly, it's too big a change for me :/

It's funny because you need the controls I have, and I need the controls you have :'(

phoenix-force411
12-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, see. You get the full advantages with the PS4 and Xbox One/360 controllers only.

TAZ427
12-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Bah, minor concern at best. It shouldn't take you that long to re-train your brain to switch things up. It's a hell of a lot easier than the Axis orientation being opposite of what your use to w/o it being able to be re-programmable (this takes a good 20hrs of me to of play to retrain my brain, and then another 20hrs to train it back again.) Instead, you get the 'location info' pop-up instead of running, and the select the right button (as opposed to looking god knows where or running off a ledge.)

At most this is a minor complaint, and even if you somehow managed to get a few people to sign such an e-petition, Ubi isn't going to waste it's time on it.

DinoSteve1
12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Ugh so R1 is now R2, that is gonna suck.

lagrue
12-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Taz, You're kidding right? You think after 6 years of doing something it should be EASY to relearn it? I've been playing a 3rd person on PS4 since launch and it's controls are reversed too... guess what, a month and a half later I still press R1 all the time accidentally, luckily that's my melee in that game, so it's not useless... but this isn't a minor concern, I can't play the game. I haven't seen a game in YEARS that didn't allow axis adjustments so I don't even know why that's being discussed.

And I don't know why you think you're so big and mighty that you can 100% decide they wouldn't want to make the game accessible and "waste time on it",

After only a 2 page topic on their forums, Digital Extremes is working on allowing remap options for Warframe (a F2p game) so if they're willing to put the effort for a FREE game, I don't see why you believe Ubisoft wouldn't touch the idea. If anything your argument is weak and you're just here to troll and speak against it for literally no reason at all other than to be against somebody.

Shahkulu101
12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
I used to always play on my friends Xbox 360 - had no problem adjusting. In the words of Don Mattrick, deal with it.

lagrue
12-18-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm glad you used to always play on Xbox, but I didn't, I Was a playstation player and still am, I shouldn't be forced to adapt to xbox ways, why are you people against controller remapping, are you just trying to be against something, because nobody has offered a reason why it SHOULDNT be put in... just that I should deal with it apparently.

Seems to me ya'll just want to give me a hard time for no reason, if you have a reason please state it. I don't expect much more from internet communities but I didn't ask for people to come here speaking AGAINST me, I asked for people to voice their opinions FOR the option.

2,859 posts since April this year.... do you even play games or just sit on forums all day crapping on ideas? Mathematically that's roughly 318 posts a month... I can tell you're just a forum dweller that likes to cause rukus in threads.

MIA SILENT
12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Honestly, adapting to 1 button change shouldn't be that hard. I was a Playstaion gamer since PS1 and had to transition to Xbox after more than a decade of using the PS controller. I think you can manage 1 button change. I

Shahkulu101
12-18-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm glad you used to always play on Xbox, but I didn't, I Was a playstation player and still am, I shouldn't be forced to adapt to xbox ways, why are you people against controller remapping, are you just trying to be against something, because nobody has offered a reason why it SHOULDNT be put in... just that I should deal with it apparently.

Seems to me ya'll just want to give me a hard time for no reason, if you have a reason please state it. I don't expect much more from internet communities but I didn't ask for people to come here speaking AGAINST me, I asked for people to voice their opinions FOR the option.

2,859 posts since April this year.... do you even play games or just sit on forums all day crapping on ideas?

I do play games, yes. I'm glad you were so infatuated by me you browse for details to use as insults against me. I was joking anyway mate, sorry.

And what I was saying is that I found it easy to adapt to Xbox even though I mainly played on PS3. It's not impossible, keep at it. :)

There's not a big enough demand for them to add this feature - but good luck garnering support.

DinoSteve1
12-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I'll support him, as long as I don't have to do anything.

lagrue
12-19-2013, 12:15 AM
You mean looking underneath your name where it says all the info? Yeah I browsed pretty damn hard for that info man.

I hope you can understand why I got defensive and rude though, your joke is not funny, telling somebody to "deal with it" on a forum is like asking for an argument, with that many posts you should know that, anybody in their reasonable mind is not going to perceive that as a joke, but rather an instigative comment.

And again Digital Extremes is doing it based on like 10 complaints on their forum, I don't think it needs a huge demand for them to allow controller remapping.

And MIA, I'm glad you also adapted just fine, but I've played all 6 games a certain way, this small change really, really throws me off, I've tried to adapt and I can't, it doesn't work. I've never asked for them to change it, just to add the feature to let me change it. And considering R1 has been the steeple/main button of our controller since 1998, I'm pretty sure it's a ridiculous thing to change 15 years later. It's always been used for shooting, and in the AC series for running. If somebody asked you to learn how to write with the opposite hand you do now, it wouldn't be an easy transition. DOing something for 15 years, and then being FORCED to change is brutal.

It's not a huge thing for them to implement either, it's not uncommon for newer games to allow controller remapping, it makes games more accessible to people.

MIA SILENT
12-19-2013, 12:40 AM
And MIA, I'm glad you also adapted just fine, but I've played all 6 games a certain way, this small change really, really throws me off, I've tried to adapt and I can't, it doesn't work. I've never asked for them to change it, just to add the feature to let me change it. And considering R1 has been the steeple/main button of our controller since 1998, I'm pretty sure it's a ridiculous thing to change 15 years later. It's always been used for shooting, and in the AC series for running. If somebody asked you to learn how to write with the opposite hand you do now, it wouldn't be an easy transition. DOing something for 15 years, and then being FORCED to change is brutal.

It's not a huge thing for them to implement either, it's not uncommon for newer games to allow controller remapping, it makes games more accessible to people.

I agree it wouldn't be a huge deal for them to allow mapping for 1 button. But it's them paying money to change it - VS - you getting used to it. As a fighting game player, I have no sympathy.

lagrue
12-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Ahhh but it's officially been proven that it is a NECESSARY change for the PS3 version to function properly, as it stands now you either Full Speed Run, or walk, there is no jog, that's a broken mechanic due to controls, so if they have to add it to PS3 to fix it, there's no reason they can't keep the feature for all systems.

It's become more than adaptability issue, PS4 needs the remap because I suck at this transition, PS3 absolutely NEEDS it because a core mechanic (movement) is broken by their current control scheme, I have the game for both systems and tested. Controller Remapping is needed for the game to work properly on PS3, and if it's gotta got o ps3, might as well put it on them all.

Boulder_Av
12-19-2013, 03:08 AM
I tried playing AC on the PS3 and I had a very difficult time controlling it. The Xbox layout which is now on the PS4 is much better. That being said remappable key bindings rarely appear on console games. Either get used to the new controls.move to PC where buttons can be remapped, or beg for a patch.

Kagurra
12-19-2013, 03:17 AM
You can't "jog" in general in the new AC games unless you have pressure sensitive triggers for running.

phoenix-force411
12-19-2013, 04:09 AM
It's either pressure sensitive or just push the analog halfway.

Will_Lucky
12-19-2013, 04:28 AM
Ahhh but it's officially been proven that it is a NECESSARY change for the PS3 version to function properly, as it stands now you either Full Speed Run, or walk, there is no jog, that's a broken mechanic due to controls, so if they have to add it to PS3 to fix it, there's no reason they can't keep the feature for all systems.

Ehhh what? You Jog by not putting as much force down on the trigger.

MnemonicSyntax
12-19-2013, 04:41 AM
I'm sorta confused here. R1 is to run in AC games on PS3 while R2 on PS4 and the rest of the console/PC with Controller universe?

MIA SILENT
12-19-2013, 05:22 AM
You can't "jog" in general in the new AC games unless you have pressure sensitive triggers for running.

Yeah you can, just don't push the analogue stick all the way up. If you're using keyboard you're screwed because it's digital.

Kagurra
12-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Yeah you can, just don't push the analogue stick all the way up. If you're using keyboard you're screwed because it's digital.

No, pushing the analog all the way forward is still walking. You must've been putting very very slight pressure on your trigger when you saw this happen. Those Xbox One triggers are oh so sensitive. Many a times I wondered why I couldn't walk and I was jogging before I realized my finger was laying on the trigger slightly too heavily.

Kagurra
12-19-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm sorta confused here. R1 is to run in AC games on PS3 while R2 on PS4 and the rest of the console/PC with Controller universe?

On PS4 they added in triggers, the new R2. They work just like the xbox triggers. At least I believe so. I don't own a PS4.

lagrue
12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Except for the fact you can't, I even loaded up and tested today. Holding the analog halfway doesn't change speed when you're running on objects, only when you're on the ground. (EDIT: Since I'm playing Freedom Cry atm I can confirm it doesn't even work on the ground either = broken mechanic, so buzz off xbots) I don't care how easy it was for you people to adjust this a Petition for people who DO Want the feature, if you don't stay out of the thread, it's not hard to comprehend people. If you genuinely think the feature would be useful, then stay, this distorts the thread.

When running in trees, on beams, or anywhere you balance it's IMPOSSIBLE to adjust speed, stop telling me I'm wrong because I tested it out after the first guy who responded in this thread pointed it out, the mechanic is broken on PS3....

Nothing beats 2 Xbots coming in here saying how the controls are better on MY preferred console when they don't even own it (self admittedly) or trying to tell me how things work on a console they aren't playing on... Talking about PS3 not having pressure sensitive triggers when it in fact did, saying the PS4 are new, they aren't. Saying analog pressure changes movement speed, when it in fact does not. (Well it does when walking, but Jog still doesn't exist)

There's an old saying; The wise man speaks because he has something to say, the fool speaks because he has to say something. I'm sure I don't have to tell Kagurra and MIA where they fall.

MnemonicSyntax (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/653385-MnemonicSyntax) that is correct, and that's why I feel alienated, I'm a playstation player, not an Xbox player, I Want to play by Playstation Controls, it's not that hard.

MnemonicSyntax
12-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Except for the fact you can't, I even loaded up and tested today. Holding the analog halfway doesn't change speed when you're running on objects, only when you're on the ground. I don't care how east it was for you people to adjust this a Petition for people who DO Want the feature, if you don't stay out of the thread, it's not hard to comprehend people. If you genuinelyt hink the feature would be useful, then stay, this distorts the thread.

When running in trees, on beams, or anywhere you balance it's IMPOSSIBLE to adjust speed, stop telling me I'm wrong because I tested it out after the first guy who responded in this thread pointed it out, the mechanic is broken on PS3....

Nothing beats 2 Xbots coming in here saying how the controls are better on MY preferred console when they don't even own it (self admittedly) or trying to tell me how things work on a console they aren't playing on...

If anything, the discussion keeps your thread at the top, other wise it will just get lost in a sea of other threads. This increases your odds of it being seen.

Also, the PS3 doesn't have context sensitive triggers and uses R1 to run instead of R2?

lagrue
12-19-2013, 08:26 AM
PS3 has always used R1, even in the latest game. It generally required the following;

AC1- to AC3
R1 = Light Jog
R1 + X = Full Sprint

They've now removed the R1 = Light Jog from the game.... instead now R1 = Full Sprint automatically, there is no longer controls to lightly jog on beams and balancing objects.

Also PS3 DOES have pressure sensitive triggers, these people don't know what they're talking about. They're just here to speak against a potentially useful feature for no reason other than the sake of speaking against it. Anybody who tells you otherwise hasn't played a racing game on the PS3.

So that being said, if I didn't have to use them on PS3 when they could have worked the same the whole time, why should I have to start now? I'm a Playstation player, period, back triggers have never been, and will never be my thing. ITts uncomfortable on the hands in general just to hold the controller that way.I have to stretch fingers back now to press R2

IT's litearlly like asking somebody how to learn to write again... I NEVER played an Xbox, maybe like once for 20 minutes, this is not an easy adjustment, and it's not fun, the controls are already preprogramed into my head at this point.

MnemonicSyntax
12-19-2013, 08:31 AM
R1+X for 3? Because 3 and 4's control schemes are very similar across the board, at least for Xbox. (I'm a PC gamer, but use a 360 controller)

The other games used that control scheme, R1+X (or RS + A) but 3's is like 4.

Also, is R1 a context sensitive trigger on PS3/4?

lagrue
12-19-2013, 08:33 AM
They didn't change it until this one. I know 3 and 4 are generally the same, but yeah, in 3 you did have to press X as well to get the full sprint effect... I don't know why they removed that for 4, but they did :/

The obvious solution to the problem is to allow PS3 to reverse the triggers... Now I need the same thing, but for alternate reasons... I can live without jogging as long as I Can actually play the game....

MnemonicSyntax
12-19-2013, 08:39 AM
That's so odd.

And on PS4 it's now R2?

I know it took me quite some time to get used to it in combat. I'd hold down RT (for high profile) and end up running away. I finally got used to it though, and I like how it is now.

But, we're all different. Good luck with your petition.

lagrue
12-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah PS4 does a big turn around and switches them - which for primarily playstation players, is a kick in the nuts, I can understand how some people prefer them, I just don't.

I think it goes without saying that if they switched them on Xbox players, they too would be asking for controller remapping. If somebody takes something you're used to, and mucks it up, it's obviously going to alienate somebody.

LUR21
12-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Yeah I completely agree with this petition. I actually got this game on both PC and PS4. Luckily enough on pc you can change button configs with ds3 tool. But when I got it on ps4 and found out they went to Xbox style with the controls I was quite annoyed. I have tried to adapt but I have gone through each assassins game at least ten times with R1 style and it is a big middle finger to PS players. I strongly think that the old R1 and X system needs to come back. Also on that note I would love them to go back to old controls especially with combat. One thing I always loved about this series was the whole puperteering concept. It was so unique to the series and something no one had done before. Since AC 3 it doesn't feel like assassins creed to me anymore. I still love the series but would love to go back to old controls in combat and climbing.