PDA

View Full Version : Uplay move installation

Major_Tango
12-18-2013, 08:08 PM
I have purchased Black Flag on steam, with all DLC's, which has installed Uplay automatically (without asking) on my C drive.

However, my C drive is a SSD drive, which i keep fairly clean with only the OS and some static programs, where all programs and userdata are stored on the D drive.

Is there a safe way of reinstalling uplay on my D drive, keeping the data, savegames and so on intact? And so that it still functions together with Steam?

You really should be asking where to install it in the first place!

Major_Tango
12-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Noone has a clue about this?
Oh oh oh, this Uplay is beginning to be a pain in the ...

Helpdesk is also on par with most companies; waiting for days on a clueless answer, clearly showing they did not read what you wrote.

Questions2ask
12-20-2013, 05:38 PM
This is one of the reasons why game devs need to quit using Steam.

Steam and uplay are separate programs and each have their own way of needing to be run and installed and when you start screwing with the default installation directories, then it's your own fault. You cannot hold others accountable because of your preference. People that use Steam always tell people who complain that they shouldn't have to use Steam to play games that Steam doesn't own to deal with it or don't play it, and that same statement applies to people complaining they should be able to install and use things on the drive of their choice, deal with it or don't use it. It's the same exact situation.

For the record Steam has ****ed up more things with games than anything else, and it's outright ludicrous, how gamers never see or want to see how Steam is causing problems. Even though A simple Google search PROVES this, people still say there is no facts to back that up. (Massive reports stating this are a fact. People are just in denial

Anyway In closing this is all I'm going to say:
If you want to use different drives, then don't complain you cannot install/use something that's has a requirement you don't like or don't want to follow. And as people who use Steam love to say to people complaining that message is to you guys complaining as well... Either quit messing with the installation drives, or don't use it, but either way it's your own fault. And in case people want to say they should have a right to use something without having something FORCED onto them, that same applies to Game devs and people who shouldn't have to be forced used to Steam.
There is absolutely No difference between these two situations.

Simple as that.

Questions2ask
12-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Noone has a clue about this?
Oh oh oh, this Uplay is beginning to be a pain in the ...

Helpdesk is also on par with most companies; waiting for days on a clueless answer, clearly showing they did not read what you wrote.
No UPLAY isn't being a pain in the ***, you're just trying to install/move something somewhere else that it's not supposed to be.

This situation your in is exactly the same as why game devs need to quit using Steam as the only way to obtain their games.

Steam and uplay are separate programs and each have their own way of needing to be run and installed and when you start screwing with the default installation directories, then it's your own fault. You cannot hold others accountable because of your preference. People that use Steam always tell people who complain that they shouldn't have to use Steam to play games that Steam doesn't own to deal with it or don't play it, and that same statement applies to people complaining they should be able to install and use things on the drive of their choice, deal with it or don't use it. It's the same exact situation.

For the record Steam has ****ed up more things with games than anything else, and it's outright ludicrous, how gamers never see or want to see how Steam is causing problems. Even though A simple Google search PROVES this, people still say there is no facts to back that up. (Massive reports stating this are a fact. People are just in denial

Anyway In closing this is all I'm going to say:
If you want to use different drives, then don't complain you cannot install/use something that's has a requirement you don't like or don't want to follow. And as people who use Steam love to say to people complaining that message is to you guys complaining as well... Either quit messing with the installation drives, or don't use it, but either way it's your own fault. And in case people want to say they should have a right to use something without having something FORCED onto them, that same applies to Game devs and people who shouldn't have to be forced used to Steam.

Simple as that.

Major_Tango
12-21-2013, 10:33 AM
No UPLAY isn't being a pain in the ***, you're just trying to install/move something somewhere else that it's not supposed to be.

Simple as that.

I'm not complaining.
I just want to move a program to it's designated location. After all it's 2013, and not 1980 anymore, static locations are not of this time.

Furthermore I'm not messing with anything. Quite the contrary. I want to keep my SSD clean of software that read and write cache, like uplay. To conserve my SSD to it's full lenght of life.
So I fail to see what is "my own fault"? Because i use steam? What a strange line of thinking.

I asked this, because i had the hope someone would have done this already, saving me time and headache diving into something that should not take my time in the first place. As it seems, noone has (who read this forum anyway), and ubisoft support is of no help. So i just play the game i bought till i'm bored with it, uninstall it after and omit buying stuff that required uplay in the future.

As for steam; i'm quite happy with it. Until now didnt have any problems with it.

Uplay however, has no file corruption check, cloud saves therefore are dangerous because it can write back a corrupted file, losing some or all progress. Multiplayer is crap, because you have to open ports and what not. (first time i have to do this for a game).