PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Cry: My Review *SPOILERS*

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Yay! It is finally here! I played through it on the xbox 360. Here is my Review.

Story: I love Ade so much, and he barely got any time in the main game! I actually like Ade's story in the game much more than the main game. I just feel like Ade is more of a relatable and noble character, whereas for me, Edward's only real major trait was his badassery, which is enough for many people, but not for me. He started to become a character I would have liked at the very end of the game, but that is not enough for me to say I really liked him. Ade, on the other hand, shines in this brief DLC. It might be a bit predictable, but it had intriguing characters, and finally took the idea of slavery head on instead of dancing around it like in AC3 and 4 main games. Ade's brief story is a wondeful one.

Gameplay: The weapons such as the machete and blunderbuss are addicting to say the least. Thank god they made new animations. Also, freeroaming on land is WWAYYYY more fun than the main game because of the never ending plethora of random encounters. It is strange..as for some reason the dev teams only like to save the random encounters for the DLC...(TOKW). The city of Port Au Prince is pretty small, but has TONS of treasure chests for some reason.. The world itself is not nearly as vast as AC4 main game.

Mission design: Here is where the DLC falters. The mission design, for the most part, is pretty boring and stale. You can tell that the mission designs were designed by someone VERY DIFFERENT from the AC4 level designer.

Sound: The soundtrack of the DLC is amazing. The african vocals bring back the signature AC vocal sounds that Tyler decided to leave out completely. Wonderful tracks, but some of them have weird drum clicking noises that annoy me.

Other notes: LAZY UBI STRIKES AGAIN by making your ship, the Experto Crede, a COMPLETE COPY PASTE of the Jackdaw, from color scheme, to hull details, to the 3 skulls above the captain cabin doors. I mean...really?

I THINK I know what the easter egg of AC5 is...but I am not quite sure. They did a good job of hiding it kinda deep. Hm.

Overall:

Pros:
+Fun new weapons
+Plethora of fun random encounters and lots to do on land
+Great story for a DLC
+Great soundtrack
+Will last as long as you don't get bored of the random encounters and blunderbuss.

Cons:
-Pretty bad mission design
-small game world
-Lazy dev details copied from AC4
-Campaign too short

Score: 7.5/10

I like TOKW better with a score of 8.5, but Freedom Cry is still very very fun.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Cons:
-Pretty bad mission design

In what way?

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
AC5 Easter Egg in spoiler tags please. :)

Also, you churn through games way too fast.

eagleforlife1
12-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Just one question. I live in England so will get the DLC tomorrow. But in the trailer, I am sure that the woman in it refers to one of the bad guys as Lafayette, but obviously the Lafayette in AC3 is too young to be the same Lafayette. Could you enlighten me on who it is please? Thanks.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
In what way?
AC3 tier of restrictive missions.

Seems every AC game with freedom theme loves irony.

SixKeys
12-17-2013, 09:23 PM

As in they broke the AI again and made you walk 15 metres from cut scene to cut scene? I doubt that.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 09:23 PM

U have played it? You got that last line from the IGN review.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 09:24 PM
U have played it? You got that last line from the IGN review.
No and...what

pacmanate
12-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I bet Alex made this DLC

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 09:26 PM
No and...what

Ign reviewer say similar ting on review mi Breda, bout de irony of game set 'round freedom has restricted gameplay mawn

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Ign reviewer say similar ting on review mi Breda, bout de irony of game set 'round freedom has restricted gameplay mawn
Well it's rather obvious isn't it? But I was talking about both AC3 and Freedom Cry.

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 09:30 PM
No and...what

The IGN reviewer complained that, for a DLC about freedom, the mission design is ironically very restrictive.

Shahkulu101
Well it's rather obvious isn't it? But I was talking about both AC3 and Freedom Cry.

How did you know that the mission design is AC3 tier if you hadn't played it?

pacmanate

AC3 = About Freedom and Liberty = Poor Mission Design
Freedom Cry = " " = Poor Mission Design

DO I SEE A TREND?!

LoyalACFan
12-17-2013, 09:32 PM

DO I SEE A TREND?!

Next AC= About oppressing and enslaving people = GOAT?

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 09:33 PM

DO I SEE A TREND?!

Yes - a purely coincidental one.

Or maybe they just do it for jokes.

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 09:35 PM
How did you know that the mission design is AC3 tier if you hadn't played it?
I meant the irony is obvious lol

I haf my ways *goes to kill Bernaro Baroncelli*

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
AC5 Easter Egg in spoiler tags please. :)

Also, you churn through games way too fast.

Um, it is a VERY short DLC. It took me like 2 hours

MnemonicSyntax
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd like to know what you think the Easter Egg is, Wolf. Maybe you could start a new thread to discuss it? Spoilers of course.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Your female intuition strikes again sid :(.

I'd like to know what you think the Easter Egg is, Wolf. Maybe you could start a new thread to discuss it? Spoilers of course.

+1, tell us where the next game will be set Wolfie!

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:23 PM

+1, tell us where the next game will be set Wolfie!

....well, I really really...there were two templars talking about how france and spain will work together to find the means to find the shape of the world and gain navigational perfection...maybe have something to do with the observatory? I am not sure it is an easter egg to where it is LOCATED... I really am not quite postitive

ProletariatPleb
12-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Your female intuition strikes again sid :(.!
http://i.minus.com/iPlTeUj39xyaH.jpg

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Okay everyone. If I had to guess...I would say that AC5 is in....

VICTORIAN ENGLAND.

Mark this as the FIRST place where AC5 was announced on the forums!!! Assuming I am right of course...

Me and frost have sig bet. He thinks it will be brazil lol

killzab
12-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Okay everyone. If I had to guess...I would say that AC5 is in....

VICTORIAN ENGLAND.

Mark this as the FIRST place where AC5 was announced on the forums!!! Assuming I am right of course...

Me and frost have sig bet. He thinks it will be brazil lol

??? What's the link between the hint you mentioned and Victorian England ?

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:33 PM
??? What's the link between the hint you mentioned and Victorian England ?

None whatsoever ;)

Idk, I just have feelings...most of them kinda because of the kenway saga. They all come from london in the beginning, so I feel like it will feature in some way. Would be a good place for Connor to go if he gets some sort f sequel.. There are other things..but..IDK

Shahkulu101
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I guess Canada, perhaps the French colonies such as Quebec or Montreal. I mean, why wouldn't the developers want to recreate their beautiful homeland - IN HISTORY!

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 10:37 PM
....well, I really really...there were two templars talking about how france and spain will work together to find the means to find the shape of the world and gain navigational perfection...maybe have something to do with the observatory? I am not sure it is an easter egg to where it is LOCATED... I really am not quite postitive

Yeah no pressure, I was just joking a bit. Obv an easter egg is not that in your face about it and since Freedom Cry is so much earlier than the actual reveal, compared to TOKW, I'll bet it will be more subtle.

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah no pressure, I was just joking a bit. Obv an easter egg is not that in your face about it and since Freedom Cry is so much earlier than the actual reveal, compared to TOKW, I'll bet it will be more subtle.

Okay. But just remember all...if I do for whatever reason happen to be right.. You will all be my *****es

Sushiglutton
12-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Okay. But just remember all...if I do for whatever reason happen to be right.. You will all be my *****es

You need to link your theory to the correct easter egg first, otherwise it's just a lucky shot in the dark ;)

Wolfmeister1010
12-17-2013, 10:41 PM
You need to link your theory to the correct easter egg first, otherwise it's just a lucky shot in the dark ;)

Okay. Ill keep digging.

They said its "in your face" so I have been trying to consider literally every bit of possible hint they throw at me.

Go1den Mean
12-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Okay. Ill keep digging.

They said its "in your face" so I have been trying to consider literally every bit of possible hint they throw at me.

Eye Nose

Frank9182011
12-17-2013, 11:24 PM
What platform are you playing on? PS3/4?

Shahkulu101
12-18-2013, 12:58 AM
Just went to go download it, it wasn't there nor was there any info on the PSN release date. I then find out we get it a day later!

O' what vile travesty dost thou commit wretched Ubisoft? (And yes, thou shalt receive blame for everything)

DinoSteve1
12-18-2013, 01:04 AM
yea PSN doesn't update its store till Wednesday, which is strange because most dlcs come out on tuesday.

pirate1802
12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

Wait, Sid is a female? what the..

Savage Baird LE
12-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Um, it is a VERY short DLC. It took me like 2 hours
Did you only rush through the story? If you explored at least a little bit, you would've gotten at least 2 more hours. I'm going on my 7th hour and haven't even finished upgrading the Jackda - I mean whatever the ship's name is.

aL_____eX
12-18-2013, 06:35 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I have a question about Freedom Cry. I just finished the third memory, where you go to the Maroon hideout and free the leader. Now the "location overview" (don't know how to call it) shows me one treasure chest and one secret. Do I have to continue the story in order to find them or is this a bug?

ProletariatPleb
12-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Wait, Sid is a female? what the..
.............No.

HiddenKiller612
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I have a question about Freedom Cry. I just finished the third memory, where you go to the Maroon hideout and free the leader. Now the "location overview" (don't know how to call it) shows me one treasure chest and one secret. Do I have to continue the story in order to find them or is this a bug?
No, go back out the way you chased down the fleeing slavers... the treasure is to the left, and the secret is dead ahead.

aL_____eX
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
No, go back out the way you chased down the fleeing slavers... the treasure is to the left, and the secret is dead ahead.
It says that the area is not available? And they are not on the map for sure. :confused:

I think I got it. Could it be that you can't reach the chest from inside the hideout and need to go there by ship? Or am I wrong? Or that you at least need the ship to access the area form inside? I'm not this far yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGfjlYPOVvQ#t=29

lothario-da-be
12-18-2013, 08:05 PM
So can anyone say how long it is? With side stuff and all.

pirate1802
12-18-2013, 08:18 PM
.............No.

Well thank goodness. After liking James Kidd and now this, I thought my male instincts were failing me.

Savage Baird LE
12-18-2013, 09:09 PM
So can anyone say how long it is? With side stuff and all.
8-10 hours, for me at least.

MIA SILENT
12-18-2013, 09:12 PM
8-10 hours, for me at least.

About the same here.

aL_____eX
12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
One thing to mention about the DLC. Although I'm getting bored by those little non saying islands in Black Flag, I really like Scafell Island. Poor Moby D*ck. Know I know why he's no more appearing as a social event for me.

hoju74
12-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Are there any new animals to hunt or harpoon ?

MIA SILENT
12-18-2013, 11:27 PM
One thing to mention about the DLC. Although I'm getting bored by those little non saying islands in Black Flag, I really like Scafell Island. Poor Moby D*ck. Know I know why he's no more appearing as a social event for me.

Lol. I tried shooting it with a Blunderbuss to see if blubber would fly out.

MIA SILENT
12-18-2013, 11:28 PM
Are there any new animals to hunt or harpoon ?

Nope.