PDA

View Full Version : Legendary failure.

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2013, 06:07 AM
I saved Legendary ships for last, after fully upgrading the Jackaw and beating the campaign, somewhat mastering naval battles in the process, only to find they somewhat skew the odds in the favor of the AI by crippling your ship speed and making what should be a somewhat slower ship somehow able to out maneuver you. It's damn near impossible to stay behind it or avoid it ramming you.

This is such utter BS I can't begin to express my disappointment. I take back everything I've said about Ubi being best dev/pub of the year, because just when I have faith in them they pull disgusting senseless crap like this.

MnemonicSyntax
12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Which ship are you having trouble with? I'd love to help if I can.

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2013, 07:07 AM
I purposely chose the one in the upper left corner of the map, because I've already seen a vid of someone fighting one in a storm, and wanted calm weather, which it was. I'm not sure whether if it was a Legendary, but I also spotted a big ship on the way to the Mystery Island DLC prior to taking on this one, which appeared in a thick fog, and no way in Hell did I want to be limited on visibility taking on my first one.

Two or three times I've managed to get the one in the NW corner down to half or less health, and one of those times it retreated because I was at the edge of it's scripted area, but as soon as I get within mortar range it becomes an unfair advantage for it because it comes bearing down on you and you can't out maneuver it. Why the hell do they have to cripple your speed against these things? They're already monstrously armored and fast. It would still take some skill and time even with your ship capable of full speed.

I'm not sure defeating them even helps much in a gameplay sense either. It would just mean being able to get money way faster and thus make the normal way of getting money somewhat obsolete, which obviously is part of the immersion. You also can't buy the most helpful items with money alone anyway. It's clearly just for bragging rights, and not very good ones considering you're really beating the game's unfair scripting vs the ship itself.

strigoi1958
12-16-2013, 07:26 AM
To be honest I'm quite useless and it did take me lots of times to beat the legendary ships... especially the 2 together ! but I found mainly by using the mortar and fire barrels I could get most of the damage done and by bracing a lot to limit damage most of the time helps. As soon as I got a broadside to hit I would hold down the shift key so upto 5 swivel shots would also hit. Also.... (after I had beaten the legendary ships I learned that you can ram by holding the right mouse button and tapping W twice :rolleyes: but I'm not sure that would have helped me. That's why mainly mortar was best for me.

strigoi1958
12-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Also.... if ships have mortars I found that as soon as they start lining up shots (circles on the sea) I dropped all sails and turned sharply as it helps to survive longer (helpful against level 60 man of war)

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Since you didn't comment on the crippled speed, I have to wonder if I'm experiencing a bug. I mean it feels like I can only go the slowest possible speed.

I don't have this problem with any other ships, even Man of Wars are easy for me because at least I can maneuver into position, and yes, I know how to avoid damage from mortars, but this ship doesn't even fire any, and it moves so fast it's pretty hard to get your own mortars to land on it.

I didn't try bracing much though, I never really have needed to against other ships. I do far better using all my time to maneuver the ship into position, and when I HAVE used bracing, I've found it really only helps your crew avoid damage. The ship still takes the damage it normally would.

Anykeyer
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Your speed stays the same (except for inability to use travel speed). Those ship have unrealistic speed and maneuverability.
I dont think its a bad thing because I feel like those fights are the only ones where your ship control skills really matter. You have to use chain shot a lot, it slows them down for a brief time. As for ramming legendary, its the hardest battle IMO bc its the most agressive ship. Dont try to escape, go head to head, shoot with chainshot, then be quick to evade its ram.

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I finally beat it after a few more tries, and yeah, going aggressive is the key, but also bracing does seem to actually avoid ship damage somewhat.

This is the El Impoluto btw, and yes, it's speed is a bit ridiculous. Also, when ramming head to head with it it can sometimes pause then leap out of the water as if a giant whale, so ridiculous. My effective strategy was getting in a mortar then chain shot, brace ramming it head to head, then blasting it with heavy and regular shot with some barrels as I swung around. Then just more mortars, bracing to avoid distant broad cannon shot, and then repeat the process. I actually had half a bar of ship health left when it went down.

One other thing that helped I found was to increase mouse sensitivity slightly to speed up mortar aiming, which I can easily do on the fly with my mouse. I don't doubt that this is the toughest Legendary ship because my progress was at 98% sync after having 100%ed the entire campaign, and now it says 99% after just this one ship. They kinda fooled me with this one. I thought it would be the easiest Legendary being in the NW region with calm skies, though I did find the weather turned stormy as the battle progressed.

As for the Jackdaw's speed during these battles, I don't buy that it's as fast as usual minus travel speed. I know when my ship feels slow because I've gotten quite good at maneuvering it, and I can tell you it felt often times like I was trying to start from a dead stop when I should have been moving much faster. I even tried lowering settings including turning off VSync to see if it was lag, but it made no difference. Thank God the other Legendary ships are slower and less aggressive.

I guess the thread can be closed, unless others want to share Legendary tactics or request help. Thanks for your input guys. I have to say what helped me most though was watching this vid, but his ship seems to move faster than mine. Maybe AMD spec get the short end of the stick, I don't know. I do have a 7970, and get plenty adequate FPS though.

Notice how the El Impoluto jumps out of the water in his vid too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr2n-FeKunY

AherasSTRG
12-16-2013, 05:15 PM
El Impoluto is by far the most difficult encounter in the game. While, you can beat pretty much every challenge in the game by balancing defensive and aggressive actions, you need to beat the El Impoluto head-on, while maneuvering his ramming ability. Go play some Dark Souls, Frag... :rolleyes:

strigoi1958
12-16-2013, 07:06 PM
how do you change to heavy shot ? I thought a broadside was heavy shot.... mind you I've never needed to buy heavy shot as it's always been full so maybe I've never used it :D

smokin_mitch
12-16-2013, 09:43 PM
I found the twins the most difficult took several tries, the other 3 I beat all on my first try? maybe I was just extremely lucky and my ship was maxed (all legendary upgrades)

Frag_Maniac
12-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Go play some Dark Souls, Frag... :rolleyes:

Fantasy RPGs, esp those which are un-intuitive, littered with bosses, semi clumsy, and force you to use sorcery, do not at all interest me. Skyrim is about the only game I've played that even comes close. I hated The Witcher II because even it was slanted toward sorcery, as you pretty much had to play on lower difficulty levels without it, and I didn't care for melee combat being Batman-like either.

I don't know why, but most RPG developers don't seem to have a clue how to make character movement and melee combat realistic, fluid, and balanced. Skyrim's the closest I've seen to something I would call acceptable in that regard, and even it has some ridiculous elements that need modding out, like the super fast cooldown, ability of enemies to take arrows to the heads and not only survive but be clueless where it came from.

The skill trees are always one of the most ridiculous things about any RPG. Some are quick and easy to build and leave you overpowered (Sneak in Skyrim), others take forever to grind and are still a pain to use sometimes.

@Strigoi,

You don't "select" Heavy Shot, you just have to make sure you own some, and then if the side of your ship is close to another ship you just click the fire button. With Heavy Shot you have to be closer and there is no aiming like with normal broadside cannons. It's a good one to upgrade because it does massive damage, and the ammo is cheap to buy and you can carry a lot of it once you upgrade it's storage.

@smokin,
Well I guess I'll find out for myself, but from what most everyone has said El Impoluto is by far the hardest. Then again I suppose it depends on what tactics you use on it and the others. Obviously you're going to have to make sure you brace when fighting the twin ships if they get you funneled between them, but I've also read it helps to get one down to 10% health, finish the other one off, use it for repairs, then easily finish the one with little health left. I wasn't aware any Leg ships could be boarded, but apparently these two are an exception. I won't know for sure until I try it though.

Anykeyer
12-17-2013, 07:26 AM
About round vs heavy shot. If you aim you will fire round. If you dont - heavy. Simple and dumb if you ask me.

No, you cant board legendaries, this includes brothers-in-arms (as they are called in database)

Kanharn
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
El Impoluto is by far the most difficult encounter in the game. While, you can beat pretty much every challenge in the game by balancing defensive and aggressive actions, you need to beat the El Impoluto head-on, while maneuvering his ramming ability. Go play some Dark Souls, Frag... :rolleyes:

El Impoluto for me, was the easiest one so far.

Frag_Maniac
12-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Well I conquered the other 3 Legendaries (4 technically), in one short setting, beat them all first try. I'd have to say the one in the SE in the fog was the easiest, because it moves so slowly you can stay on it's arse. I had half my ship health left after beating it, and it went down pretty quickly. The other two had me down to a sliver of ship health, even less than I had on my final successful battle against El Impoluto, but being as that one took several tries, I still think it was the hardest.

Between the SW and NE battles, I'd say the twin ships were easier, because they never once caught me between them and I pummeled them with mortars and broadside shots, and even caught them ramming into each other as they did their simultaneous circling. It was hilarious, they literally stayed there jammed together for some time while I rained down mortars on the both of them with each shot. The ship in the SW maneuvers fairly well so I took some damage with it, plus it was pretty stormy and smoky and I had a hell of a time getting my ship to move. I did manage to finally start tailing it and unloading at it from behind though, which did it in.

Weird thing is I'm still stuck at 99% completion. I guess there's silly stuff like buying art and all the weapons and ship decorations making up that final 1%, which I'm not sure I want to bother with, unless someone can tell me there's some reward for 100%? I may just start a new game and play with no HUD or indicators.

adikeo13
12-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I beat El Impoluto but I absolutely can't beat the two legendary ships together: Brothers in Arms. I must have tried 30 or more times. It's really frustrating!

Frag_Maniac
12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
I beat El Impoluto but I absolutely can't beat the two legendary ships together: Brothers in Arms. I must have tried 30 or more times. It's really frustrating!

Steer left or right immediately to avoid them funneling you between them. Fire mortars at them when at a distance and make sure you brace if they get off cannon shots at you. If you're lucky they'll ram into each other as they simultaneously circle in opposite directions, something they're more likely to do when you're at a distance. If this happens, fire a mortar shot right between their bows to hit both of them.

Even if they don't hit each other you can use the moment they're about to cross by each other as a time to let off a mortar and once again steer left or right to avoid getting caught between them.

wreck713
05-14-2014, 01:02 AM

Dark Souls was a breeze compared to these god awful ships, I'm maxed out and can I beat them? Hell no. The ghost ship was seriously easy but the other 3 4) are a complete joke, especially the trolling duo. I'm so pissed off I want to take the 360 controller into my garage and smash it to pieces

Locopells
05-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Steer left or right immediately to avoid them funneling you between them. Fire mortars at them when at a distance and make sure you brace if they get off cannon shots at you. If you're lucky they'll ram into each other as they simultaneously circle in opposite directions, something they're more likely to do when you're at a distance. If this happens, fire a mortar shot right between their bows to hit both of them.

Even if they don't hit each other you can use the moment they're about to cross by each other as a time to let off a mortar and once again steer left or right to avoid getting caught between them.

Be warned though, if you take one down, the other becomes super fast and vengeful - if you get one down to their last bit of health, concentrate on the other, then RUN once it's taken down, piling everything you've got into the first ship...