PDA

View Full Version : Bass Cutting Out?

mklimshuk
12-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Platform: 2012 MacBook Pro, 16gb memory, 1TB HD, OS X 10.9. Playing: Ibanez SoundGear SR300M from 2009. It'll cut out after 30-40 minutes of playing on RS. I've calibrated and that does no good. I sprayed some cleaner into the amp plug jack, but that didn't last long.

It never cuts out during regular play to either my regular amp or headphone amp, and my Epiphone ES-339 never has any problems on RS. Has anyone else experienced this? Wanted to ask before I got in touch with Ubi support.

And while learning guitar in 60 days is probably not gonna happen - darn you, career and paycheck! - I'm having a lot of fun and can tell that I'm getting incrementally better at it.

C.Linton
12-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Have you checked the output jack on your bass?

mklimshuk
12-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Not with a voltometer or a visual check of the insides, that would be my next step - but I would've thought that no problems with a regular amp would eliminate, or at least minimize, that possibility. Still worth checking. Thanks, CL.

C.Linton
12-16-2013, 05:58 AM
It's justtht in my experience a bad jack can sometimes take time when playing to finally start to affect your sound. I had this same problem on a 78 P-bass. I would play for a while and it would be OK for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, when it would start cutting out. I would stop playing, come back to it later and the same thing would happen again. After a while it stopped working completely. the vibrations of me playing it had been working a bad solder joint loose until it finally broke off entirely. Maybe when you tried it thru the amp you just hadn't played it long enough for it to start cutting out. Idaknow.

C.Linton
12-16-2013, 06:02 AM
It's just that in my experience a bad jack or solder joint can sometimes take time when playing to finally start to affect your sound. I had this same problem on a 78 P-bass. I would play for a while and it would be OK for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, when it would start cutting out. I would stop playing, come back to it later and the same thing would happen again. After a while it stopped working completely. the vibrations of me playing it had been working a bad solder joint on the pickup loose until it finally broke off entirely. Same thing happened on another bass on it's output jack. Maybe when you tried it thru the amp you just hadn't played it long enough for it to start cutting out. Idaknow.

mklimshuk
12-18-2013, 04:35 AM
I am officially a moron - it was the 9V battery in the back. Popped a fresh one in and I've been playing fine for about two hours.

So, I guess we've all learned a lesson today... keep a pack of 9Vs around just in case. Oh, and avoid large runaway trucks.

C.Linton
12-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Another tip for those of you who may be new to active basses.: Everytime you stop playing, unplug the cord from your output jack on the bass/guitar. The output jack on your instrument acts like an on/off switch, when you plug in the cord it basically turns the pre-amp on, and the battery will start to drain. if you unplug the cord every time you're done playing, your battery can last months longer (as much as a year!) instead of just a few weeks if you leave it plugged in.