PDA

View Full Version : Amp buzzing and feedback using dual cables and Y Splitter

TheDeveloperDad
12-15-2013, 04:25 PM
I have a Tecamp TEC20BS 1 x 12 and I decided to try setting up RS with it by using a Y splitter from my SG and plugging in both the tone and standard cables into it. I notice the amp gets a fair amount of buzzing and feedback when I plug in the tone cable to the Y splitter; there is no feedback at all when I plug the guitar in directly to the amp or if I plug in just the guitar to the Y splitter. It only starts when the tone cable is in, and it happens whether my 360 is turned on or off. Has anyone tried to do this and had similar issues? Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the buzzing?

Dizzyg12
12-16-2013, 12:32 AM
You need a MONO y splitter.....you prob have stereo.

TheDeveloperDad
12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Nope, it's mono. It's the Hosa TS splitter that was mentioned in another post by another user a while ago who was trying to integrate their amp into their setup.

This is the one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP111-inch-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O53

I did get some reduced buzzing by plugging the splitter into the amp and plugging my cables into the splitter, but it still buzzes. The speakers in the background of RS 2014 show the "sound waves" animation to indicate there's sound coming from the guitar, but its just the buzzing.

rcole_sooner
12-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a ground loop and EMI noise.

I've spent hours and hours debugging various pedal board and amp configurations to fight this.

Whole books have been written on it.

You just gotta keep experimenting until you find it.

I'd try turning off any extra electronic devices in the room, and moving stuff as far away from the PC as you can.

Try facing the guitar in different directions.

Try different wall outlets and combinations.

Try different cables ... and ultimately different splitters.

It really goes on and on.

Good luck.

TheDeveloperDad
12-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys.

txdan555
12-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I experimented with a y-splitter and had the same buzz issue.

I'm trying to play the guitar through my amplifier while playing RS. (The test I did with the y cable was sweet so I definitely want to keep trying.)

I found a contraption called the aby splitter (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/morley-aby-channel-switcher).

I was thinking about stopping by a music store and picking one up to try tonight. Anyone played with one of these?

Thanks

txdan555
12-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I bought a splitter box last night and tried it out. I did not go with the Morely, I picked up a more expensive model that I will have to update this post with the specs. I still have a little buzz especially on the more distorted settings (my amp is a GDEC-3 fifteen.) It was very playable on the cleaner configurations. I wish I new a little more about this stuff to provide some more info, but I;m learning.

I think I'm going to try some of the suggestions that rcole_sooner recommended with the stuff I have. (I can't believe this Texas boy is listening to a Sooner. :p )

I'll update as I go.

Dizzyg12
12-22-2013, 12:45 AM
A more expensive option is to get a boss tu3 tuner which has 2 outputs. I use this now. I did the y splitter early on and had the buzz, but when I got the mono splitter, it went away.

Once I got the tuner, I never looked back.