PDA

View Full Version : I-16 How does the engine work?

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Whats the deal with the I16s engine?

It stops in midair without any battledamage.

Whats one to do when that happens?

How can it be avoided?

Is there a button for pumping fuel into the engine or what?

I am saddened.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

--
"Too late ... No time."
Concorde pilot Christian Marty, moments before the supersonic jet crashed into a hotel in Gonesse on the outskirts of Paris.

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Whats the deal with the I16s engine?

It stops in midair without any battledamage.

Whats one to do when that happens?

How can it be avoided?

Is there a button for pumping fuel into the engine or what?

I am saddened.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

--
"Too late ... No time."
Concorde pilot Christian Marty, moments before the supersonic jet crashed into a hotel in Gonesse on the outskirts of Paris.

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:18 AM
You run out of gas?

<center>http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetemp_both/language/www/US/TX/Dallas.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Are you pulling negative Gs?

47|FC
http://rangerring.com/wwii/p-47.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:21 AM
You're probably doing what I was - pulling too quickly/hard in a nose dive and stalling the plane. Press "I" to re-start the engine in mid-air (hopefully you'll have enough sky left to do this /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:28 AM
Remember, it be standard carburated type and will konk out with ease!

Luckyboy = senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:36 AM
It's funny, because it used to happen to me all the time. It really bothered me. But then I found out that the fuel pump on the I-16 and early Hurricanes did not work on negative Gs. What does that mean? Well you won't be able to push the stick just like with the other planes. Many Germans knew this at the time of the war, so when they had either plane on their six, they would just push hard on the stick so that the I-16s (or early Hurries) couldn't keep up with them.
So, just remember: when you pull is allright, but when you push too hard, you better prepare to land or bail out. I still haven't been able to recover from that kind of situation. Is there anyone here who's been able to re-start the engine?

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, not the fuel pump per se, it's the fact that the carburetor needs positive air pressure to produce the venturi effect to work, and pulling negative Gs renders the carburetor useless. then the engine quits, and the pump stops working. the pump wasn't the cause though, it was loss of venturi effect. The pump failure is a symptom, not the diesease.

The effect is identical, though- no fuel supply.

It's also worth noting that in the First World War, the rotary (not radial, and not Wankel, the crankshaft stays stationary, and the crankcase and cylinder heads revolve) engines had two modes of operation- on, and off. "Chopping" or cutting off the throttle was the only way to slow down. Imagine trying to carburate THAT engine!

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 01:05 AM
You CAN recover from a neg-G stop /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif But just hitting ignition won`t do it. If I remember right you need to reduce your mixture down to 40, or even 30- then hit ignition. The power will start pump up mix to normal. Start flying!

I doubt this will work with complex engine management OFF because it would disable the mix controls.

Another note: Beware, the Spitfire also suffers from this. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.
(Spitfire & Escape Whiner Member).

Message Edited on 09/16/0301:28AM by SeaFireLIV

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 01:10 AM
minor point

the merlin in the hurri used to flood rather than starve under neg G but the effect is the same.

solution .. watch old war movies and imitate the way they used to bank into a dive.

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 01:19 AM
the spits weres sorted out by putting a bung sort of thing in the fuel line, i think it was metal washer that allowed fuel to flow around it, but restricted the fuel going bank into the tank or leaving the engine

Ikm sure there is detailed information out there on the subject

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Arm_slinger wrote:
- the spits weres sorted out by putting a bung sort of
- thing in the fuel line, i think it was metal washer
- that allowed fuel to flow around it, but restricted
- the fuel going bank into the tank or leaving the
- engine
-
- Ikm sure there is detailed information out there on
- the subject
-
-

almost correct

it restricted fuel going INTO the carby .. the merlin problem under neg G was flooding not starvation

the restricting device was designed by a female engineer, Mrs Tilly Shilling and was consequently nicknamed "Mrs Shillings Orifice" by the RR team.

<center> http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SQDLAtUWiWZ3BKw19!aryp7v3C1h1DuNwpHOOuqhlraGSyMAY KiPEOZAA1OBgsLu*Sa0UQ2my0PiFyvNkJ5K7Clsoy7yNtEvOXY nHDuPNiotpZACY2oJxw/aircraftround.jpg </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 01:39 AM
Half roll and dive.

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 03:54 AM
Yep, I think this was my problem.

So now I only need to remember to do those cool dives that the planes in old hollywood warfilms always do and I am safe. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Thanks everyone for clearing this up.

--
"Too late ... No time."

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 04:01 AM
I-16 How does the engine work?

Badly. I hate that airplane!

<center>
http://members.verizon.net/~vze2cb22/KosSig.gif

America: #1 military...#15 in literacy...
Because right wingers run our military
and leftists run our schools!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </center>

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 07:04 AM
fromsweden wrote:
- Yep, I think this was my problem.
-
- So now I only need to remember to do those cool
- dives that the planes in old hollywood warfilms
- always do and I am safe. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
-
- Thanks everyone for clearing this up.
-
---

Make sure that you have the game patched up the v1.1b at the very least . . . (hopefully you have v1.11) and can can restart the I16 in the air if you accidentally kill the engine.

Tsisqua

http://www.uploadit.org/files/010903-nedChristie.jpg

Tsalagi Asgaya Equa!

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 07:08 AM
The only way I have found to re-start is to fly upside down and hit the start button. Just make sure you're not too clse to the ground........

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 07:11 AM
There is a bug in ver. 1.0 that will not allow the I-16 to be restarted in midair after it stalls from too much negative Gs but if you have patched the game, you should be able to restart in the air provided you have sufficient air speed.

If engine will not restart it is probably because your air speed is too low and you will have to nose the plane into a dive to pick up some speed(with the help of gravity) and once you have the speed, you should be able to restart by hitting the I key on your keyboard.

<center>S!<center>

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 08:08 AM
I asked the same question flying a campaign on the GreaterGreen server and recieved this advice: When enroute to dogfight, throttle back to 80%, adjust prop pitch to 60, open radiator to position 4 or 6. When reaching the dogfight, cose radiator to cut down on drag,(I leave mine on position 2 because of overheating), full throttle for speed, and prop pitch at 90. Since recieving that advice and implementing it, the engine never just stopped anymore. Oh,btw, you do have to be easy with the stick as far as the elevators go. To hard on stick, engine will quit everytime.

XyZspineZyX
09-16-2003, 08:12 AM
SeaFireLIV wrote:
- You CAN recover from a neg-G stop /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif But just hitting ignition won`t
- do it. If I remember right you need to reduce your
- mixture down to 40, or even 30- then hit ignition.
- The power will start pump up mix to normal. Start
- flying!
-
- I doubt this will work with complex engine
- management OFF because it would disable the mix
- controls.
-
It DOES restart without CEM using just"I", since patch 1.11.

I'd never join a club that would have ME as a member!!.