PDA

View Full Version : They sould completely drop the modern-day part

AdamPearce
12-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Sincerely I don't see the point in developing in, it became totally pointless. It's a pain in the *** for the players and the devs. At least, before, it served in something, but now, no story, no gameplay, no characters, nothing. I see everybody enjoying the game and be like ''yayhay best ac eveeer yaay'' and I'm like ''man this is *** why did I play this game? This ain't AC this is pirate's creed.''.

I'm sick & tired of this, always waiting for more, waiting for the epic moments, the epic revelations, the epic post-Toba sequence, I believe sooo much that someday the devs will realise it that I can't see anything else. Automatically if the game doens't include what I always wanted it's ****.

I've read Darby's response about prensent dau, and really why continue? Just stop it now, end it, stop making suffer all the fans out there waiting for something that will never happen, it's just cruel. I want to enjoy the games too, I want to feel happy want I play them. Why can't I enjoy it like everyone? Why do I always stuck with those @#$%& expectations.

Anyone feels like they should completely drop the present-day part?

TruGamer97
12-12-2013, 01:23 AM
Well we seem to be at a disagreement. I think the present-day portions are fresh, enjoyable and something I'd rather see them work on then just throw away.

Landruner
12-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Sincerely I don't see the point in developing in, it became totally pointless. It's a pain in the *** for the players and the devs. At least, before, it served in something, but now, no story, no gameplay, no characters, nothing. I see everybody enjoying the game and be like ''yayhay best ac eveeer yaay'' and I'm like ''man this is *** why did I play this game? This ain't AC this is pirate's creed.''.

I'm sick & tired of this, always waiting for more, waiting for the epic moments, the epic revelations, the epic post-Toba sequence, I believe sooo much that someday the devs will realise it that I can't see anything else. Automatically if the game doens't include what I always wanted it's ****.

I've read Darby's response about prensent dau, and really why continue? Just stop it now, end it, stop making suffer all the fans out there waiting for something that will never happen, it's just cruel. I want to enjoy the games too, I want to feel happy want I play them. Why can't I enjoy it like everyone? Why do I always stuck with those @#$%& expectations.

Anyone feels like they should completely drop the present-day part?

They should drop it with the way it goes no where, sure they should, but the modern days belongs to that franchise as the Bat mobile for Batman, they can't, and it will upset a lot of people also if they do.

MIA SILENT
12-12-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm in two minds about it. In one way I'm interested to see what Juno will do. But in another, I know they're going to drag it out through the whole series. Another thing that's interesting is Abstergo now know who the sage is (Aita) - which means they could get his blood and delve into his memories. As long as the present day story doesn't carry on consisting of breadcrumbs, I'm happy for it to stay.

dxsxhxcx
12-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Well we seem to be at a disagreement. I think the present-day portions are fresh, enjoyable and something I'd rather see them work on then just throw away.

they don't being capable of properly work on the modern day sequences (blame the yearly releases) is the reason why they changed it to the way it is now, so I don't think anyone should expect more than what we got in AC4, I prefer to not have the modern day sequences at all than have this half assed experience I got in AC4... especially knowing they won't come back to the old style any time soon...

phoenix-force411
12-12-2013, 01:39 AM
It needs to stay until they're done with the current story of Assassin's Creed. Once they're done, they can continue on other AC games. You know, they could just more AC games that has nothing to do with the present, but simply live and play through their lives, but let it connect with the overall Assassin's Creed. In that way, there doesn't need to be any present day and we're not restricted to one person's ancestors.

AdamPearce
12-12-2013, 01:54 AM
they don't being capable of properly work on the modern day sequences (blame the yearly releases) is the reason why they changed it to the way it is now, so I don't think anyone should expect more than what we got in AC4, I prefer to not have the modern day sequences at all than have this half assed experience I got in AC4...

this is exactly how I feel right now.

Sushiglutton
12-12-2013, 02:08 AM
I pretty much feel the same way. Modern day was def fascinating for a while, now it's just borderline tragic. I think they instead should find ways to bridge the games inside the historical part, like when Ezio tracked Altair's vault and found (SPOILER) etc. That's a much cooler way of doing it imo.

They should drop it with the way it goes no where, sure they should, but the modern days belongs to that franchise as the Bat mobile for Batman, they can't, and it will upset a lot of people also if they do.

The best Batman game ever doesn't have the Batmobile, just saying ;).

AdamPearce
12-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I just though of something. Can't they hire like a third writer that would be writting the modern-day part? That way they could follow each other and since there isn't much story in each game it could be excellent. I mean, however writes ACInitiates should be the Modern day writer, that way no more ********, no more incoherence and no more 'we don't have time' ! I mean, what are 2 hours in a 50+ h game?

dxsxhxcx
12-12-2013, 02:38 AM

I don't know how someone that before AC4 was in control of a character that was a vital part of something can be more upset than being reduced to a random person in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time in the middle of the story, what's the point in getting all the answers if they'll have little to no purpose to the character we control? (it's like knowing how to make gold and know that the tools necessary for this process are impossible to be created)

I was expecting to have this kind of experience once they were done with what they started in AC1, but Juno is part of Desmond saga and this plot should've ended as it started, with the player as the main character (not necessarily Desmond) and not a "secondary character" (someone that doesn't even speak or has a mind of his own, hell, we don't even have hands or legs*, we are just a flying tablet) because IMO this is the role we played in AC4 and will continue to be our role from now on (according to Darby).

*something that I despise in some 1st person games.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-12-2013, 03:01 AM
Your post seems to be about 2 points: the modern day portion serving no real purpose, the historical portion being more about pirates than Assassins.

To the latter: All I can say is, I haven't played it so I can't judge it yet.

As for the former portion about modern day stuff... I'm torn. The modern day part was really interesting to me. I liked seeing Desmond and co. trying to figure out how to battle the Templars and then uncovering an ancient mystery through Desmond's animus sessions. Unfortunately, they frakked it all up with AC3 by completely ruining Desmond's story arc. I am currently replaying the games and will be extensively studying the story of each so as to retroactively change the modern ending to AC3 by making it what it should have been IMO. The problem with this is that, by continuing with the modern day stuff -- this will invariably contradict my personally established canon (or fanon) regarding the outcome of AC3.

So on one hand, gutting the modern aspect would solve those issues but on the other hand... AC has always been about the Animus, reliving genetic memory, etc. To suddenly abandon that is also not a good idea. I wish they hadn't screwed the pooch on Desmond's story. They were working up to something, something epic and then it just withered. No satisfaction, no sense of completion. Everything was, more or less, in vain. AC3 was supposed to be his moment to shine but instead, they did nothing with him. You go on a handful of missions, one of which is just climbing a building under construction and then parachuting: we've climbed with Desmond before but we've never really felt like an Assassin before. AC2 had a glimpse with the ending and credits and even made it sound like we'd get to assassinate Vidic in a manner similar to the assassinations of Altair or Ezio.

Seriously...imagine blending in with some civilians going in to the Abstergo offices from outside of the building. These people would be there to just get a tour and see the "public image." Meanwhile, you slip between the crowds and enter further into the offices by blending with some white collared shirt-wearing IT guys with laptop bags. From there, you move in and out cubicles and the like, avoiding security guards and ducking into cubicles or a lunch room to blend in. You continue on until you reach an elevator under repairs. Waiting for the repair man to leave, you hop in and climb the elevator shaft. You continue on until you reach the restricted areas where you start blending in with more IT guys and technicians working on Animi and the software. You then learn Vidic is in a meeting in some conference room. Using Eagle Vision to track his path (making sure to blend still, hopping into laundry baskets or sitting down at empty work stations), you eventually find the conference room. You find a way up into the rafters to get overhead and then...you air assassinate Vidic. OR...you run in and fight your way through the Templars if you so wish and kill Vidic that way. PErhaps instead of my way, you climb up the side of the building, pull a security guard out from a window and hop in to access it that way.

Instead we get a linear mission that's completely story driven. I get that a modern AC wouldn't work. Cities are far too large but that doesn't mean we couldn't have had sandboxy Desmond levels that let us explore and tackle it the way we wanted to.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 03:50 AM
*sees topic title*

*first thought*: "Oh God....not again...."

They won't ever drop the modern day plot. That is the main plot of the franchise. I understand and sympathize with those who "aren't liking it" (although I personally feel otherwise) but please try to understand....it's never going to happen.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-12-2013, 04:26 AM
*sees topic title*

*first thought*: "Oh God....not again...."

They won't ever drop the modern day plot. That is the main plot of the franchise. I understand and sympathize with those who "aren't liking it" (although I personally feel otherwise) but please try to understand....it's never going to happen.

Exactly. It's always going to be there. I believe even the comics and things show a historical and modern segment. The only thing that had no modern story was Embers, that short film.

Sigv4rd
12-12-2013, 05:27 AM
I'd like to see another modern protagonist (preferably female) and a more emotional story, that is less centered around action... Also I miss being in an Assassin animus...

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 05:30 AM
I'd like to see another modern protagonist (preferably female) and a more emotional story, that is less centered around action... Also I miss being in an Assassin animus...

The Assassin Animus was definitely more streamline. But apparently they developed a wireless headset version.

mfmaxpower
12-12-2013, 05:39 AM
God I would love nothing more than for them to get rid of the modern day stuff - I've completely lost track of what's going on, it's boring, it removes you from the main storyline of each game, and it's just not fun or rewarding.

But, obviously they're NOT going to remove it 'cause it's part of the franchise and ties together each game, or at least it's meant to. So hopefully they'll work on making it less confusing, more fun, and easier to keep track of what's going on from game to game.

monteiro416
12-12-2013, 05:55 AM
The purpose of the modern day story was to show that there was a reason to go back in history: whether to find where something is hidden, to find out info about people, places, events, etc. In my opinion, getting rid of modern day defeats the purpose of going back at all. It has always been a frame narrative. You can't just take away the frame and expect it to be the same.

I think modern day in BF was the worst so far though. It all just felt like one giant Easter egg to me in that it brought back old faces, alluded to past games, alludes to potential future games, etc. While they have strayed from what I believe was the ideal modern day story (every game except BF, to be honest), I'm hoping they make it more interesting in future games.

UKassassinsfan
12-12-2013, 06:09 AM
I don't want the modern stuff gone but it needs to improve vastly. I was a fan of Desmond and I loved seeing him and his little crew discover all this stuff but now I agree with what monteiro said it's just one big Easter egg! And being a emotionless floating tablet is the worst ever. I know the devs have said 'we' are the new protagonist but I like having a character you grow to like or dislike, I mean the new guy is hardly me because it's so restricted too, it's just such an annoyance IMO

Sigv4rd
12-12-2013, 06:16 AM
The Assassin Animus was definitely more streamline. But apparently they developed a wireless headset version.

I miss the glitchyness of the previous animus...
--------------------------------------------------------
Perhaps we could have a new modern protagonist for each ancestor?

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 06:24 AM
The thing I found funny is that Adam made a post in the Darby interview thread after reading that the future plans were to go with a FPS perspective from here on out, instead of having another modern day protag. So it's not really the modern day that bothers him, but that there's not going to be another "Desmond" as far as future plans go.

My issue is, this is another "because I don't like it, they should drop it" thread. It's a mixed bag. As stated, some won't be happy if it's dropped, while some will. In order to please everyone, I think Black Flag had a good idea by minimalizing modern day as much as possible and making the rest optional.

That way there's still a choice, and for those that want it, can have it and those that don't only have to "deal" with it for a small period of time and it adds to the story regardless.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Don't you get it? They already dropped the modern day part, in every way but officially trolololololo

I know the devs have said 'we' are the new protagonist but I like having a character you grow to like or dislike, I mean the new guy is hardly me

Its a ploy by the devs because the fans said they didn't like Desmond. So they made the next protagonist YOU. The genius of this move is, you can't hate yourself, can you? So voila! We suddenly have a universally-loved protagonist!

Landruner
12-12-2013, 08:13 AM
I pretty much feel the same way. Modern day was def fascinating for a while, now it's just borderline tragic. I think they instead should find ways to bridge the games inside the historical part, like when Ezio tracked Altair's vault and found (SPOILER) etc. That's a much cooler way of doing it imo.

The best Batman game ever doesn't have the Batmobile, just saying ;).

LOL I was talking about the movies just saying LOL:o

Landruner
12-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't know how someone that before AC4 was in control of a character that was a vital part of something can be more upset than being reduced to a random person in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time in the middle of the story, what's the point in getting all the answers if they'll have little to no purpose to the character we control? (it's like knowing how to make gold and know that the tools necessary for this process are impossible to be created)

I was expecting to have this kind of experience once they were done with what they started in AC1, but Juno is part of Desmond saga and this plot should've ended as it started, with the player as the main character (not necessarily Desmond) and not a "secondary character" (someone that doesn't even speak or has a mind of his own, hell, we don't even have hands or legs*, we are just a flying tablet) because IMO this is the role we played in AC4 and will continue to be our role from now on (according to Darby).

*something that I despise in some 1st person games.

Originally Desmond 's character was supposed to represent the player (The original concept was even deeper than that since the reactions of Desmond were supposed to reflect the player's gameplay - The concept did not come in 2007 as intended and Desmond appeared as a full character in AC1

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 09:15 AM
lol flying tablet.. haha

dxsxhxcx
12-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally Desmond 's character was supposed to represent the player (The original concept was even deeper than that since the reactions of Desmond were supposed to reflect the player's gameplay - The concept did not come in 2007 as intended and Desmond appeared as a full character in AC1

what this has to do with what I said? I didn't quite understand what you said... :p

lol flying tablet.. haha

isn't it true? :p

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
isn't it true? :p

Ofcourse. which is why its funny lol

dorestes
12-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Absolutely not. The whole point of the series is the ongoing struggle for the artifacts of Those Who Came Before. AC4 was a great game, but it felt kind of empty to me because The Observatory didn't really connect to the overall battle or Abstergo's interests.

If they drop the modern-day story and just turn it into old-timey war playgrounds, I'll stop playing these games. For me, ACII: Brotherhood was the best of the games. My favorite part of the whole series was the puzzles that tied various parts of history to the grand battle, including Alan Turing and others. Tying in Mossadegh and Pinochet, the Industrial Revolution, Citizens United and much more into the grand story was exhilarating. The Assassin's Creed series isn't just a great set of games: it's also an intellectual treat of alternate history.

Please don't take that away. Some of like much more from our games than mindlessly killing lots of people for no very good reason.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Absolutely not. The whole point of the series is the ongoing struggle for the artifacts of Those Who Came Before. AC4 was a great game, but it felt kind of empty to me because The Observatory didn't really connect to the overall battle or Abstergo's interests.

If they drop the modern-day story and just turn it into old-timey war playgrounds, I'll stop playing these games. For me, ACII: Brotherhood was the best of the games. My favorite part of the whole series was the puzzles that tied various parts of history to the grand battle, including Alan Turing and others. The Assassin's Creed series isn't just a great set of games: it's also an intellectual treat of alternate history.

Please don't take that away. Some of like much more from our games than mindlessly killing lots of people for no very good reason.

This is why I think their current route is decent...not great...but decent. It allows people who want to delve more into the modern mystery to do so via hacking and playing around outside the animus, while those who "hate" the modern day story can go into the animus ignore it and play stabby stabby pirate.

dorestes
12-12-2013, 01:11 PM
stabby stabby pirate.

Sigh...

Littleweasel
12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
i don't mind the modern day parts of the game, i just hate that they are in 1st person rather than 3rs like the rest of the game.

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Sigh...

Why the sigh? Dark's point is very valid.

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Uhm, Desmond is dead folks. That arc of the modern day is done. What would you want them to do, take another victim maliciously and repeat the same mistakes? Abstergo is not a small little company w/ only resources for the Animus. What the AC writers did by keeping Abstergo in this, and evolving they way they're using the Animus is great, and this was just the start of things.

I've always disliked playing the modern day portions, but they've been valuable in understanding the underlying story, and this continues that, though in AC IV it's more of a transitional piece, you can already see how knowledge of just what Abstergo is, is unraveling again with another player at the helm.

Hans684
12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Uhm, Desmond is dead folks. That arc of the modern day is done. What would you want them to do, take another victim maliciously and repeat the same mistakes? Abstergo is not a small little company w/ only resources for the Animus. What the AC writers did by keeping Abstergo in this, and evolving they way they're using the Animus is great, and this was just the start of things.

I've always disliked playing the modern day portions, but they've been valuable in understanding the underlying story, and this continues that, though in AC IV it's more of a transitional piece, you can already see how knowledge of just what Abstergo is, is unraveling again with another player at the helm.

The modern day is continuing for ever, the Desmond arc is done, not modern day. Even if they did make another protagonist, then he is not gonna die by touching a disco ball made by space wizards becouse Desmond broke the circle. There is not going to be any more end of the world plots.

ACIVBF is the begging of a new arc entirely.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 08:56 PM
i don't mind the modern day parts of the game, i just hate that they are in 1st person rather than 3rs like the rest of the game.

I can understand this... but it's kind of the fault of the fanbase. Too many people whined about hating Desmond.

DarktheMagister
12-12-2013, 08:58 PM
The modern day is continuing for ever, the Desmond arc is done, not modern day. Even if they did make another protagonist, then he is not gonna die by touching a disco ball made by space wizards becouse Desmond broke the circle. There is not going to be any more end of the world plots.

ACIVBF is the begging of a new arc entirely.

Except for the whole evil computer AI who wants to dominate the human race and/or destroy the world plot that you've forgotten to mention.

Hans684
12-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Except for the whole evil computer AI who wants to dominate the human race and/or destroy the world plot that you've forgotten to mention.

Sorry about that, my mistake. But she want control the world not destroy it.

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 10:40 PM
I can understand this... but it's kind of the fault of the fanbase. Too many people whined about hating Desmond.

Didn't they have an "idea" about eventually ending his story though? It was just a matter of time.

AdamPearce
12-13-2013, 12:15 AM
What pisses me off is that Ubisoft decides to throw away (yes this is what they did) a major part of the franchise instead of thinking on how to solve it.

''Hey guys sounds like we don't have enough time for the modern-day part?

Logic: Well, let's make a deal with the editors and try to push back the releases?
Reality: Too bad, let's reduce it, anyway half the people who buyed AC3 didn'tl ike it. ''

I mean, what the hell with the double teams anyway? Imagine if Tolkien did all the TLoR books at the same time, it would've been a disaster, and that's exactly what Ubisoft is doing! They even cut a major part of Black Flag because of the lack of time! No one should ever have this kind of pressure, why can't they take their time? They won't die if there is no AC next year?!

pacmanate
12-13-2013, 12:20 AM
I loved the modern day in AC4 because it allowed us to explore a lot of the past as well as loads of Desmond things.

I am very intrigued at what they will do for the next AC game though.

DarktheMagister
12-13-2013, 01:07 AM
What pisses me off is that Ubisoft decides to throw away (yes this is what they did) a major part of the franchise instead of thinking on how to solve it.

''Hey guys sounds like we don't have enough time for the modern-day part?

Logic: Well, let's make a deal with the editors and try to push back the releases?
Reality: Too bad, let's reduce it, anyway half the people who buyed AC3 didn'tl ike it. ''

I mean, what the hell with the double teams anyway? Imagine if Tolkien did all the TLoR books at the same time, it would've been a disaster, and that's exactly what Ubisoft is doing! They even cut a major part of Black Flag because of the lack of time! No one should ever have this kind of pressure, why can't they take their time? They won't die if there is no AC next year?!

Perhaps you've never met Publishers...but they have a problem with money....they like it a lot... and they fund developers to make them money for which they don't like to wait. Look at EA and the Madden series. Every year...the same game with update rosters...why? Because sports gamers buy them and they make lots of money.

DarktheMagister
12-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Didn't they have an "idea" about eventually ending his story though? It was just a matter of time.

I assume they did. Which is kind of what happened.

And now the story of Desmond Miles has ended and the AC Universe still turns.

But its not killing Desmond off that I mean... I mean since people complained about hating Desmond so much, the decided to flip up the modern day portions. And thus we get "the Analyst" played by us.

And like it was said earlier... You can't hate yourself because that's just silly.

TheDanteEX
12-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Everything modern they've done in AC4 could be done in real life. That way instead of playing as a fictional version of ourselves we can literally just be ourselves. Just keep it similar to Initiates. We "hack" things and get things. This way we don't have to wait a year to further what should be happening in the present. It's much more immersive if we're literally interacting with the world. I mean, they made an Abstergo website for a reason, right?

The games should just be the product from Ubisoft and Abstergo.

dxsxhxcx
12-13-2013, 01:30 AM
I assume they did. Which is kind of what happened. And now the story of Desmond Miles has ended and the AC Universe still turns. But its not killing Desmond off that I mean... I mean since people complained about hating Desmond so much, the decided to flip up the modern day portions. And thus we get "the Analyst" played by us.

the (at least my) problem isn't Desmond's death, I'm OK with it, as badly handled as it was...

And like it was said earlier... You can't hate yourself because that's just silly.
that assuming you don't have any problem seeing yourself as a "flying tablet"... :p (ignore this, is just a problem I have with 1st person perspective without a body)

one of the reasons (if not the main reason) why I prefer a protagonist like Desmond (preferably in 3rd person and with his own personality) is because it's not that easy for me to pretend that I am the "analyst", I never put myself in the character situation because as I play the game I realize I probably would've handled many things differently, so it's hard for me to relate to "someone" that is supposed to be me but don't act as I would, and give such freedom to the player IMO is something impossible, so that's why I prefer to be told a great story about another character who make his/her own decisions (that I can relate to) than (pretend to) be something I'm not...

there's also the problem that this "analyst" IMO doesn't play the role of a main protagonist, during all the game I felt I was just a random secondary character, a mere spectator in the wrong/right place at the wrong/right time...