PDA

View Full Version : Need purchasing advice for PS3 or XBox

thoman23
12-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I currently play Rocksmith on PC, and have never owned a gaming console. BandFuse seems to be getting decent enough reviews that I'm tempted to try it, and need a PS3 or XBox. I would never get a console just for one game, but it turns out I also am in need of a standalone DVD/Blu-Ray player, so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. But like I said, I'm brand new to the consoles so I have a few questions:

- As far as I can tell, PS3 is the way to go if I want a Blu-Ray player too. Is there any reason not to go the PS3 route in my case? Does the PS3 have more issues/troubles than Xbox or anything like that? In other words, I don't want to accidentally buy the inferior platform just because I want the Blu-Ray player.
- I am thinking of getting something used off EBay. Is there anything I should look out for? Any known problems with particular generations of PS3 or something? If I am only going to play the one game and watch movies, can I just get the cheapest one I can find?
- Do all versions of PS3 have analog audio out?
- It seems like used PS3's are running about $160 to $180. Does that sound about right? I was hoping they'd be cheaper with the new gen coming out, but I guess not.

Phalaris99504
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I currently play Rocksmith on PC, and have never owned a gaming console. BandFuse seems to be getting decent enough reviews that I'm tempted to try it, and need a PS3 or XBox. I would never get a console just for one game, but it turns out I also am in need of a standalone DVD/Blu-Ray player, so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. But like I said, I'm brand new to the consoles so I have a few questions:

- As far as I can tell, PS3 is the way to go if I want a Blu-Ray player too. Is there any reason not to go the PS3 route in my case? Does the PS3 have more issues/troubles than Xbox or anything like that? In other words, I don't want to accidentally buy the inferior platform just because I want the Blu-Ray player.

There are some games that are XBox exclusive, such as Halo, and Fable. Some games that are PS3 exclusive, such as God of War, and Infamous. However, for the most part, a majority of games are going to be available on both platforms. If you're going to only play Rocksmith 2014, you can purchase either. If you have to have a Blu-Ray player, and don't want it as a separate unit, then you're going to have to get the PS3, since the Xbox 360 doesn't come with Blu-Ray.

- I am thinking of getting something used off EBay. Is there anything I should look out for? Any known problems with particular generations of PS3 or something? If I am only going to play the one game and watch movies, can I just get the cheapest one I can find?

You can. Personally I don't like to buy used electronics. But if you feel comfortable, then go ahead. I wouldn't worry about hard drive size, if you're getting a PS3. The drives are super easy to swap out. My original PS3 had 160Gb Hard drive, and I recently replaced it, and put in a 1Tb. The longest part was doing the backup and restore of my data.

The original PS3 (Also known as the Fat model, The one that says "PlayStation 3" across the top) is backwards compatible (will play PS2 games), but comes with smaller hard drives. Again, super easy to replace.

The next model, known as the "Slim' which is what I have, will only play the PS3 game disks. If you want to play the older PS2, you can, but have to buy them as downloads from the PSN Store. The Slim model has only 2 usb ports on the front. I think the Fat model has more.

The next version is the "Super Slim" and pretty much that's all I know about this one.

- Do all versions of PS3 have analog audio out?

I know the the second version, Slim model, does have analog out. As for the other two, I can't say for sure, but would think that the Super Slim model would at least have it as well.

- It seems like used PS3's are running about $160 to $180. Does that sound about right? I was hoping they'd be cheaper with the new gen coming out, but I guess not.

That doesn't seem like a bad price to me. I think one of the reason that the PS3 and Xbox360 is still higher, is because of the lack of availability of the new PS4, and XboxOne. As more people acquire the new systems, the price of the older gens will start dropping.

RSDAVE
12-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Nobody in its right mind would recommend you to buy a PS3 if you want to play Rocksmith or Rocksmith 2014. If that's the case, I'd go with an Xbox and buy a cheap Blu-Ray player (they're at $50) on the side.

Marauder359
12-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Nobody in its right mind would recommend you to buy a PS3 if you want to play Rocksmith or Rocksmith 2014. If that's the case, I'd go with an Xbox and buy a cheap Blu-Ray player (they're at $50) on the side.

If this were 2 years ago, I might agree. But with the freezing issues on Xbox, I don't see how you can justify that over the PS3...

C.Linton
12-11-2013, 04:44 PM
^^^^Agreed. I have had no freezing whatsoever on my PS3 (320g. slim). AAMOF, I've had no tech issues other than a couple of very minor issues that were easily fixed and have not recurred.

noop101
12-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I had an original PS3 (the backwards compatible one) which died a few months ago. I replaced it with one of the latest super slim models. One thing I will say is that the newer ones are much smaller and much quieter than the earlier versions. But they have a cheaper feel to them. For example, the original had a slick slot loading system whereas the new one just has a plastic cover you have to manually pop discs in and out. Works fine for me, though.

hedwards362
12-11-2013, 05:04 PM

I have yet to have a single problem with RS on my PS3 that they haven't fixed. And even before the fix, it was just the tuner that would go wonky at times.

I had an original PS3 (the backwards compatible one) which died a few months ago. I replaced it with one of the latest super slim models. One thing I will say is that the newer ones are much smaller and much quieter than the earlier versions. But they have a cheaper feel to them. For example, the original had a slick slot loading system whereas the new one just has a plastic cover you have to manually pop discs in and out. Works fine for me, though.

Really? That surprises me as my Slim still has the slot system and they cut a ton of functionality out to get the price under $300 at that time.

thoman23
12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I noticed the cheap loading mechanism of the Super Slim in a YouTube review and didn't like what I saw. Now that I know the Slim model has a slot loader I'll probably get that.

Kynlore
12-11-2013, 06:24 PM
For what it's worth, I have RS2014 on the 360 and have not had it freeze at all.

LvlNinety9
12-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I've had my Xbox freeze a couple of times on Rocksmith but since the last patch they put out I haven't had any freezing issues whatsoever. I also heard that after the patch a lot of PS3 owners were starting to have a lot of issues with Rocksmith. I think there was a thread about it in the garage sub forums.

AlPac2012
12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
I have no issues on PS3, works well for me. With RS1 I had to be really careful to prevent the freezing issue, but with 2014 it's working great.

There are a few niggles like the songs not remembering the mastery level (but that's true on all platforms), and PSN EU getting the DLC a week late all the time (I can live with that, plenty songs to learn), and apparently I can't log in to uplay (don't really careTBH), but nothing major. No freezing and it all loads nice and fast.

It's personal preference between Xbox and PS3 I think.

C.Linton
12-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I've had my Xbox freeze a couple of times on Rocksmith but since the last patch they put out I haven't had any freezing issues whatsoever. I also heard that after the patch a lot of PS3 owners were starting to have a lot of issues with Rocksmith. I think there was a thread about it in the garage sub forums.

I haven't experienced that at all.

rwilson1982
12-12-2013, 12:20 AM
I have no issues on PS3, works well for me. With RS1 I had to be really careful to prevent the freezing issue, but with 2014 it's working great.

There are a few niggles like the songs not remembering the mastery level (but that's true on all platforms), and PSN EU getting the DLC a week late all the time (I can live with that, plenty songs to learn), and apparently I can't log in to uplay (don't really careTBH), but nothing major. No freezing and it all loads nice and fast.

It's personal preference between Xbox and PS3 I think.

The Uplay issue is a bit more serious if you want to play Score Attack or the Guitarcade games and be on the leaderboard. To me, there is little point playing them otherwise so thats about a third of the game's functionality currently broken. If you want the Uplay rewards you cant get them. The mastery bug actually cripples the Learn a Song mode, making it feel futile to play. Yes, you can use Riff Repeater but, come on, on every song? That's another main aspect of the game broken; say goodbye natural progression.

If you live outside the US, don't look for any kind of support either. Ubisoft tech. support is the worst i've ever come across. You get stock responses to your issues, they don't have a clue what is going on and they just ignore you. I couldn't in good faith recommended the PS3 version to anyone outside the US.

This is my blog post about EU based PS3 issues since patch 1.02. Note it was working fine before that patch so it is sod all to do with my console, IP settings, router etc.

http://www.bytefoundry.co.uk/blog/?p=243

AlPac2012
12-12-2013, 12:46 AM
The leaderboards on score attack work fine for me despite it not logging in to uplay.

Can't really get too worked up about the current bugs. The mastery thing doesn't bother me too much as I'm only playing songs I can actually almost play properly so just set them to 100%. Stay away from harder songs until it's fixed or I get better....

RSDAVE
12-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Guys, you may be all very lucky and did not have any of the issues hundreds of PS3 users experience. But there are numerous documented issues with the PS3. With RS, the console freezes are notorious and were never fixed. Now with RS 2014, progress is not saved.

Take a look here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/806301-LAS-Mastery-Resetting-Itself and here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814997-Possible-Mastery-Resetting-Fix-Workaround-Here

They'll fix it most probably, but right now, no, the PS3 is not the best choice for RS/RS2014

C.Linton
12-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Guys, you may be all very lucky and did not have any of the issues hundreds of PS3 users experience. But there are numerous documented issues with the PS3. With RS, the console freezes are notorious and were never fixed. Now with RS 2014, progress is not saved.

Take a look here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/806301-LAS-Mastery-Resetting-Itself and here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814997-Possible-Mastery-Resetting-Fix-Workaround-Here

They'll fix it most probably, but right now, no, the PS3 is not the best choice for RS/RS2014

Despite appearances, all those people could very well be in the minority, you don't really know, you always hear more from the people having problems that those who don't. You want to go by the posts delineating tech issues in these forums, there seem to be far more serious issues with the PC, followed by the Xbox.

Marauder359
12-12-2013, 03:35 PM
They will fix the game from not saving progress. The question is, are they going to fix the game before they destroy all of our ****ing Xboxes, or not? I'd rather get a later update that saved my progress than be playing on Xbox between now and then and have to get a new Xbox because they'd destroyed ours via the freezes.

Might a lack of saving progress be more annoying in the short term on PS3? Yes.
Will your Xbox dying as a result of constant freezes be more annoying than that? Oh, indeed.

So, yeah, in terms of playing the actual game, sure Xbox is more stable. In terms of having a console to play the game on for the longterm? Well, your Xbox will only freeze so many times before it just up and says, "**** you." If maintaining your song progress is more important than having a console to play on at all, then sure, get the Xbox version.

VarriusTX
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I've been playing RS2014 on PS3 slim since oct 22 and I have no problems with it. Not one freeze, no mastery resets. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe they have HD space issues, maybe they have a different hardware ps3 than me. I don't know, but I do know that mine has worked perfectly.

Asterlius
12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
I think many people here glossed over the original post.

The issues with rocksmith on PS3 don't matter when you're not actually getting rocksmith on the PS3 but bandfuse instead.

@OP, get a PS3 because the xbox has paywalls for basic applications, you can't use many basic streaming services without a subscription.
Also avoid even the thought of an old second hand 360 as they don't even have a wifi card in them.

The PS3 also has bluray playback and better ways of streaming videos from an external hard disk.
Since you;re master race, the games on xbox tend to be on PC often but our glorious PC's don't have all the JRPG games that all seem to be PS3 exclusive.

thoman23
12-12-2013, 07:30 PM

The issues with rocksmith on PS3 don't matter when you're not actually getting rocksmith on the PS3 but bandfuse instead.

@OP, get a PS3 because the xbox has paywalls for basic applications, you can't use many basic streaming services without a subscription.
Also avoid even the thought of an old second hand 360 as they don't even have a wifi card in them.

The PS3 also has bluray playback and better ways of streaming videos from an external hard disk.
Since you;re master race, the games on xbox tend to be on PC often but our glorious PC's don't have all the JRPG games that all seem to be PS3 exclusive.

Ha ha, thank you Asterlius. You are indeed correct. I have no intention of playing RS on a console...I am quite happy on PC for that. My needs are:
- Blu-ray playback
- Netflix streaming
- BandFuse
- SingStar

After reading this thread and doing some other research, I believe my choice comes down to PS3 Slim or standalone Blu-ray player (and live without BandFuse/SingStar). XBox does not seem to be a contender. Right now I'm leaning towards just getting a standalone player, or maybe waiting until PS3 prices plummet (of course, they might get very hard to find too).

hedwards362
12-12-2013, 07:41 PM

That's certainly a fair point that I had missed. But it does beg the question of why ask over here when people are less likely to know about any PS3 or XBox specific problems with Bandfuse.

swiegand
12-13-2013, 12:38 AM
I've been playing RS2014 on PS3 slim since oct 22 and I have no problems with it. Not one freeze, no mastery resets. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe they have HD space issues, maybe they have a different hardware ps3 than me. I don't know, but I do know that mine has worked perfectly.

Before I updated to 1.02 on PS3 the progress was not saved in multiplayer mode. This has been a bit annoying, bit a minor bug.
Now the progress is not tracked at all for the songs (and lessons BTW), and if a workaround is applied in order to save the progress for a song, that fix doesn't last very long. After a couple of played songs the progress for other songs is gone. The freezes, well, RS1 was worse.
If I would have been aware of the fact that 1.02 makes RS 2014 completely unusable, I would not have it installed and be as happy as you are ;-)

thoman23
12-13-2013, 01:11 AM
That's certainly a fair point that I had missed. But it does beg the question of why ask over here when people are less likely to know about any PS3 or XBox specific problems with Bandfuse.

Exactly. The OP is probably just lazy and doesn't want to register on the BandFuse forums. :)

VarriusTX
12-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Before I updated to 1.02 on PS3 the progress was not saved in multiplayer mode. This has been a bit annoying, bit a minor bug.
Now the progress is not tracked at all for the songs (and lessons BTW), and if a workaround is applied in order to save the progress for a song, that fix doesn't last very long. After a couple of played songs the progress for other songs is gone. The freezes, well, RS1 was worse.
If I would have been aware of the fact that 1.02 makes RS 2014 completely unusable, I would not have it installed and be as happy as you are ;-)

I installed 1.02 and I don't have any progress saving issues. I just don't know what to tell ya man, sorry. Then again, I have never attempted multiplayer on mine either, perhaps that's where the problem stems from.