PDA

View Full Version : Running ACIV on pc smoothly with a powerful rig

SinsiliuxS
12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Ok, so I have a question for you fellow assassins: is it possible to run ACIV BF smoothly on high video settings, if your pc is more powerful than recommended? I tried setting the video settings to high, but it was too laggy, especially with that ultra antialiasing, so I had to set them to a bit lower than high. The recommended configuration of your pc is:
Operating System: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400S @ 2.5 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz or better
RAM: 4GB or more
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or better.

My configuration is:
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 (32 bit version)
Processor: Intel(R) COre(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.60GHz
RAM: 8GB
Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 (2048MB)

I've heard rumors that 32 bit system is not using all the RAM that is in your pc, so is that the main reason? I've checked and it says in my system info that it's using 3.49GB out of 8GB. Should I install a 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Thanks for all your answers in advance,

-S

Sandcracka
12-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm getting 60 fps solid with every setting maxed except for shadows set to high. And your 32 bit OS is limiting your RAM usage to only 4 GB.

PC specs

4670K 4.5GHz
R9 290x
16GB RAM
Samsung 840 SSD
Win 7 64 bit

SinsiliuxS
12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Oh, so my speculations are confirmed. The 32 system is causing everything. Thanks mate.

drakkar321
12-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh, so my speculations are confirmed. The 32 system is causing everything. Thanks mate.

It may still be possible, even with the RAM limitations to have smoother gameplay. I would not use motion blur or soft shadows. Don't set god rays at high. Most important though, do not use v-sync in game or use any AA higher than MSAAx2. You can follow the link at the bottom of my post for some more information about this and some other tips, but keep in mind that you may have to tone down the settings a little bit from what I have listed on that thread. You might need to do a little testing to find a balance between quality and performance.

It is true that 32-bit Windows will not use more than 4 GB of RAM. However, I can tell you a few things about it that most people do not know. Using a 64-bit OS, actually uses double the amount of memory to store information in RAM than a 32-bit system does, because information stored in RAM is 64 bits wide instead of 32 bits wide, so you are storing double the amount of bits in RAM. Using 4 GB of RAM with a 32-bit system will be very similar to using 8 GB of RAM with a 64 bit system. However, if you used a 64-bit version of windows, then you would be making use of the other 4 GB of RAM in your system and it would also be possible to use more than 8 GB of RAM. Performance wise though, unless you plan to use more than 8 GB of RAM, there would really be no benefit to you switching to 64-bits at this point, other than piece of mind knowing that you don't have 4 GB of RAM in your system doing absolutely nothing lol.

Most applications are actually 32 bit anyway and even a lot of the 64 bit applications are really just 32 bit apps recompiled to be 64 bit. Unless an application is actually an optimized 64 bit app, performance is, in most cases, actually slightly higher on a 32 bit system. My point is that most people would say that there is no question, you should upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows. I would say that before you drop down the cash to do that you should make sure that you have a good reason to do it, more than just for the sake of being 64-bit. If you ever get a new system, I would probably make sure you go 64-bit or if you want to use more than 8 GB of RAM in the one you have, I would switch. Otherwise, you are probably fine like you are. As far as performance with AC4, I don't think this has much to do with your system being 32-bits. It is probably more likely the settings you are using with your hardware.

Razrback16
12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah the game runs pretty darn well for me -- I was impressed. They definitely did a good job optimizing everything.
Vista 64-bit
AMD FX-8350 8-Core CPU
16GB DDR3
GTX 680

I'm running all settings maxed except for antialiasing -- I'm running FX antialiasing -- game looks incredible and runs VERY smooth.