PDA

View Full Version : Snowdrop engine for next AC game?

Ja_Dog_77
12-09-2013, 07:42 AM
So the thing is, I've been disappointed by upcoming games except for one and that Division. It's the only game that look next gen, the graphics are amazing. I was wondering if there is an upcoming AC game if they will use the snowdrop engine to make it look beautiful. I like the concept of the battle system on AC BF but it needs to be smoother and maybe make up some new moves and for the hardcore fans make some in depth moves.

Just some thoughts and hopes. Is there any hope for an upcoming Assassins Creed?

phoenix-force411
12-09-2013, 08:04 AM
The Assassin's Creed series will only run on Engines made by Ubisoft. The AnvilNext Engine is the current engine being used. The AnvilNext engine specializes in rapid terrain changes, more NPCs that can be rendered in the world(Up to 2,000 NPCs can be rendered), and more, but you'll have to read up on that. The Assassin's Creed series is better off with the AnvilNext Engine.

Ja_Dog_77
12-09-2013, 08:41 AM
The Assassin's Creed series will only run on Engines made by Ubisoft. The AnvilNext Engine is the current engine being used. The AnvilNext engine specializes in rapid terrain changes, more NPCs that can be rendered in the world(Up to 2,000 NPCs can be rendered), and more, but you'll have to read up on that. The Assassin's Creed series is better off with the AnvilNext Engine.

Oh I see, I must have misunderstood. I thought it was a ubisoft machine since it's a part of Tom Clancy's game. I just want games to feel next gen, I hope the engine you mention ups the graphics stand point because I seen the vgx this year and a lot of the games they showed looked like the same ol same ol. I want character models and the world to look better and feel next gen. And on Tom Clancy's division they accomplished that. That game and the witcher are the only two games right now that feel next gen. I really like the assassins creed series and want the next one to feel next gen or rather look next gen not like I'm getting a 360 game lol.

phoenix-force411
12-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Oh I see, I must have misunderstood. I thought it was a ubisoft machine since it's a part of Tom Clancy's game. I just want games to feel next gen, I hope the engine you mention ups the graphics stand point because I seen the vgx this year and a lot of the games they showed looked like the same ol same ol. I want character models and the world to look better and feel next gen. And on Tom Clancy's division they accomplished that. That game and the witcher are the only two games right now that feel next gen. I really like the assassins creed series and want the next one to feel next gen or rather look next gen not like I'm getting a 360 game lol.

The current launch games do not fully touch upon the next-gen's capabilities. ACV, I am sure, will look much better. All of the Assassin's Creed series run on Anvil Engines, but the AnvilNext is the newest one which was first used on Assassin's Creed III. With additions to the AnvilNext, I am sure anything's possible, but engines take a long time to develop.

adventurewomen
12-09-2013, 10:16 AM
No.

The AnvilNext engine is just right for AC, the engine doesn't need to change. All previous AC games have used previous versions of Anvil engines during development.

ProletariatPleb
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Snowdrop? Idk but the engine sure needs an overhaul. Anvil is really outdated and won't survive next-gen like this.

Will_Lucky
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
AnvilNext was designed specifically for Next-Gen consoles, it just happened to be finished in time for AC3 which alongside Liberation served as the testbed for it. AC4 is simply a refined version held back by a PS3/360 version, the next AC that is next-gen only will look much much better without the constraints of PS3/360 and Wii U to cater to.

ProletariatPleb
12-09-2013, 05:14 PM
AnvilNext was designed specifically for Next-Gen consoles, it just happened to be finished in time for AC3 which alongside Liberation served as the testbed for it. AC4 is simply a refined version held back by a PS3/360 version, the next AC that is next-gen only will look much much better without the constraints of PS3/360 and Wii U to cater to.
>People actually believe this.

Will_Lucky
12-09-2013, 05:25 PM
>People actually believe this.

Most of the industry assumed the PS4 and XB1 would likely be 2012 (8 year generational gaps are simply insane for the industry) every engine going be it AnvilNext, Frostbite 2, Creative Engine were not originally catered for current gen consoles but of course had to be adapted because the amount invested in these engines is significant and return has to be brought in. Its why framerate is so poor in many of the titles associated as well and worse still in their successive titles as a result on the 360/PS3.

guardian_titan
12-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Only way Assassin's Creed is changing engines is if Ubisoft builds another one or they declare AnvilNext done and go for someone else's. They have way too much money sunk into AnvilNext to just toss it now, and buying another engine might not be cost effective at this point. AC6 is likely still early in development so if there's any engine change, that would likely be the one to do it ... unless there's another spinoff game at somepoint. The 2015 game or later is likely the earliest to see an engine change. Games are too close together for Ubisoft to really drop everything and change engines at the drop of a hat. AC5 would've started development during AC4 (probably when AC3 came out), AC6 would've started development likely around now or just before AC4 came out. AC6 might have been on hold long enough to take into account feedback regarding AnvilNext so they could alter the engine a bit. If AC6 hasn't, then AC7 should.

Engines take time to learn which takes time out of designing new games. Bioware's used the Unreal engine for years and decided with Mass Effect 4 (whatever it ends up called) and Dragon Age Inquisition that they'd switch to Frostbite 3. Dragon Age would likely have been out this year as a launch title for the consoles if they hadn't had to take time out to learn Frostbite 3. Fan threats/requests regarding including (or not) X probably didn't help the date push back, either. Having to go back to edit the game just to add in playable elves, qunari, and dwarves really pushed the release date back. You might be willing to wait for a game if the company takes into account feedback and changes the game to account for it, but others may not be so patient. So many these days forgot what patience is. Ubisoft releasing the games annually certainly hasn't helped. One date push back and there will be an outcry.

Each engine has their ups and downs. One engine might be really good at one thing but terrible at another. No engine is perfect at everything. Each one is unique as a person so no two are alike. You might know a guy who's really grouchy and you hate but is a terrific artist while you know someone else who's kind hearted but a terrible cook. AnvilNext was designed with Assassin's Creed in mind so that's the engine the series is likely to stick with unless another engine surfaces that one ups (or better) AnvilNext. Chances are that engine will end up the next Anvil engine and not someone else's.

koolaidthered
12-30-2015, 09:33 PM
You guys realize snowdrop is a ubisoft engine as well.

HDinHB
12-31-2015, 01:39 AM
You realize this is a two year old thread.

Welcome to the forum!

Defalt221
12-31-2015, 06:36 PM
You realize this is a two year old thread.

Welcome to the forum!

I once revived a four year old thread. Anyway, Snowdrop doesn't use Havok Physics in parkour. So I doubt Ubisoft will use it.

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2016, 01:03 AM
That doesn't mean they can't use it.

They would modify it, sure.

But Snowdrop was created specifically for easy urban development, unprecedented level of detail in animations, and dynamic lighting/weather.

I would not find it super surprising to see them using a modified snowdrop for an AC game in the near future. And they should. Snowdrop is the most amazing engine I have ever seen.

ze_topazio
01-01-2016, 01:22 AM
One thing I'm certain, the Anvil is in need of some serious update.

Defalt221
01-01-2016, 05:24 AM
Sadly the first game running on that engine isn't even out yet = they haven't mastered all nooks and cranny of the engine. Idoubt they'll suddenly modify it to support parkour when they've used so many years to master anvil next...