PDA

View Full Version : Naval Combat a new core pillar of the franchise?

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 09:26 PM
With AC3 teasing at it, and now AC4 going full force with it - do you think Naval Combat is now a core part of the Assassin's Creed series? And more importantly do you think it should be?

Seeing how renowned it's become, do you think Ubisoft could afford to have a future AC game without it?

Personally I wouldn't mind if it was done away with for the next game. And I don't want the location and time period of future titles to be restricted by how relevant naval warfare was. But it's hard to see Ubisoft abandoning it when it's what a lot of people love most about AC4. The naval combat feels like it's becoming the main attraction for people that are tired with the AC formula.

Instead of trying to introduce a new core gameplay feature to the games, I'd much prefer them to build upon and teak the existing core pillars; Stealth, Parkour and Combat. Right now it feels like they're adding new features to try disguise their unwillingness to rock the foundations of Assassin's Creed.

adventurewomen
12-08-2013, 09:35 PM
The Naval combat and themes have only been introduced because it suited the story and the history of the time in the 18th Century.

I would like the Naval combat to be scaled back for the next AC, just bring it back to focusing on the Assassins.

TruGamer97
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
I like the naval combat in Black Flag, but for the long run I think it would bring too much limitations on what time periods can be used.

DarktheMagister
12-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I don't mind if they keep naval missions or even some small open world stuff since naval trade was kind of a big thing across most of history....but I'd rather they NOT focus the entire game on it again. (which I don't think they will.)

Rugterwyper32
12-08-2013, 10:07 PM
I think Naval should be used only if the setting calls for expansive use of it. If the time period and the location itself would work well with it, then it should be used. But if it's not the most fitting for the time period, or the location doesn't have much going on for it (Say, a map in the Gulf of Mexico. That wouldn't be too interesting), then no. So I'm somewhere in between here.

First, though, I want a return to full-on land and the devs attempting to finally make fun horse controls for the series.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I like the naval combat in Black Flag, but for the long run I think it would bring too much limitations on what time periods can be used.

Same here. Like what if they only stuck to time periods where ships using cannons was a common thing? Not good!

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree with what some of the others have said. that would bring to many limitations. and should only be used with it's proper setting.

also while navel is alright and sometimes fun to me. (not the biggest fan as I have stated before) I don't think it should be the core of the future games. I don't see the point.

also if it is put it. kept to a minimum or strictly side content!

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I hope they keep it to a minimum or as a side-content. I just don't... like boats... And fish... lol (I had traumatically swallowed a lot of fishbones as a kid. Maybe this explains it. I think I will like harpooning though. ^^)

Landruner
12-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Perhaps, I misunderstood the real Ubisoft intention there, but I recall reading recent articles about Ubisoft having the intention of making some spin off of black flag dependent from the rest of the AC franchise? Like said unless having misread or misunderstood the recent articles why making polls asking regarding that feature for the next AC since it is apparently clear that if naval do be back it will be in some separates game from the AC core franchise?. Now that you make a poll asking if people think that Ubisoft will focus of a new black flag franchise instead of an AC franchise will make more sense.

SixKeys
12-08-2013, 10:53 PM
No, it's not a new core pillar, just an extension of one of the existing three: navigation.

As much as AC4 positively surprised a lot of people, I think after two games most players have had enough of naval.

Shahkulu101
12-08-2013, 10:53 PM
I hope they keep it to a minimum or as a side-content. I just don't... like boats... And fish... lol (I had traumatically swallowed a lot of fishbones as a kid. Maybe this explains it. I think I will like harpooning though. ^^)

I laughed at the harpooning bit, sorry about the fish bones and all. I hate fish too, I fell into a fish pond in a restaurant once, everybody laughed. :(

adventurewomen
12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I laughed at the harpooning bit, sorry about the fish bones and all. I hate fish too, I fell into a fish pond in a restaurant once, everybody laughed. :(
Haha! I loved Harpooning Whales & Sharks in AC4, so much fun! :D

I hate fish too! urgh!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2013, 10:55 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing it again in the future...but after AC4 i think its fair to say we need a break from ships lol

Kagurra
12-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Naval was amazing in AC4.

Next game, drop it completely and focus on making a world that's even more immersive and expansive, along with way more detailed (they specifically said next AC will be truly next-gen), but all on land.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Perhaps, I misunderstood the real Ubisoft intention there, but I recall reading recent articles about Ubisoft having the intention of making some spin off of black flag dependent from the rest of the AC franchise? Like said unless having misread or misunderstood the recent articles why making polls asking regarding that feature for the next AC since it is apparently clear that if naval do be back it will be in some separates game from the AC core franchise?. Now that you make a poll asking if people think that Ubisoft will focus of a new black flag franchise instead of an AC franchise will make more sense.

I think you misunderstood the article. It was about one of the survey questions asking if people would play a stand alone pirate game, and not a question of whether or not people wanted naval combat to return to AC and become a core pillar...which is sort of what this thread is about.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 11:01 PM
No, it's not a new core pillar, just an extension of one of the existing three: navigation.

As much as AC4 positively surprised a lot of people, I think after two games most players have had enough of naval.

If naval came back as just a form of navigation I don't think I'd mind. But as it is I think it's a bit more than that - and people seem to love it.

AssassinHMS
12-08-2013, 11:07 PM
No. That is the worst thing that could happen to AC. AC's core is miserable as it is, and naval only helps to conceal that fact. If there was no naval, AC would be forced to rely more on the core mechanics and they would have evolved as they should. Naval, right now, is nothing but an obstacle. Naval should only be added if the core mechanics become deep, challenging and fun (good enough to stand for themselves) and if the time period and location demand it.

Not only that, but core mechanics belong to Assassin's Creed concept, naval doesn’t, it is part of History, of the game’s background. Not all Assassins must be sailors and not all locations should be chosen to suit naval as that would be a complete waste of potential.

Seriously, the core mechanics are awfully underdeveloped and to even think of adding another, that has nothing to do with Assassin’s Creed….

Landruner
12-08-2013, 11:11 PM
I think you misunderstood the article. It was about one of the survey questions asking if people would play a stand alone pirate game, and not a question of whether or not people wanted naval combat to return to AC and become a core pillar...which is sort of what this thread is about.

Wait okay, but the thread title is Naval Combat a new core pillar of the franchise? | Forums (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/815464-Naval-Combat-a-new-core-pillar-of-the-franchise-Forums/page2) so which franchise are we talking about there? AC, Black flag?
Besides Poll title of this thread is Would you like to see Naval Combat become a core pillar of Assassin's Creed
Unless I don't get English because I am French the way I read it the OP is asking people if they think Naval will be part of the AC franchise while Ubisoft said they plan to make pirate games separate from the AC franchise in the future. And survey or not made by Ubisoft or anyone else, Ubisoft will make Pirates and naval games from now and separate from the AC franchise or when the opportunity is there naval gameplay will partially combined with the AC gameplay anyhow.

silvermercy
12-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Never trust fish... NEVER!!

LoyalACFan
12-08-2013, 11:12 PM

This. Plus, naval combat (at least in the form we've seen it in the last two games) restricts you to the 17th-19th centuries. And I'm more than ready for a break from that period. I want to go further back in history, not further forward.

However, I'd be totally open to a full pirate franchise. I love the pirate gameplay, but it would be a shame to restrict AC to such a narrow period in history.

Shahkulu101
12-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Never trust fish... NEVER!!

Templar puppets!

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 11:19 PM
No. That is the worst thing that could happen to AC. AC's core is miserable as it is, and naval only helps to conceal that fact. If there was no naval, AC would be forced to rely more on the core mechanics and they would have evolved as they should. Naval, right now, is nothing but an obstacle. Naval should only be added if the core mechanics become deep, challenging and fun (good enough to stand for themselves) and if the time period and location demand it.

Not only that, but core mechanics belong to Assassin's Creed concept, naval doesn’t, it is part of History, of the game’s background. Not all Assassins must be sailors and not all locations should be chosen to suit naval as that would be a complete waste of potential.
Seriously, the core mechanics are awfully underdeveloped and to even think of adding another, that has nothing to do with Assassin’s Creed….

Completely agree. Although I don't think all the core aspects of AC are terrible... just too easy and a bit bare bones. But I get what you're saying. Make the foundations strong before you slap a load of bricks on top!

adventurewomen
12-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Completely agree. Although I don't think all the core aspects of AC are terrible... just too easy and a bit bare bones. But I get what you're saying. Make the foundations strong before you slap a load of bricks on top!
In regards to in bold, AC games over time have.. AC1 was challenging.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Wait okay, but the thread title is Naval Combat a new core pillar of the franchise? | Forums (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/815464-Naval-Combat-a-new-core-pillar-of-the-franchise-Forums/page2) so which franchise are we talking about there? AC, Black flag?
Besides Poll title of this thread is Would you like to see Naval Combat become a core pillar of Assassin's Creed
Unless I don't get English because I am French the way I read it the OP is asking people if they think Naval will be part of the AC franchise while Ubisoft said they plan to make pirate games separate from the AC franchise in the future. And survey or not made by Ubisoft or anyone else, Ubisoft will make Pirates and naval games from now and separate from the AC franchise or when the opportunity is there naval gameplay will partially combined with the AC gameplay anyhow.

What franchise!? Assassin's Creed of course. Black Flag isn't a franchise. Also, I don't think Ubisoft have said yet if they will make a pirate game. It was merely a question on a survey. And even if they did it doesn't rule out the possibility of Naval being in future AC games.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 11:29 PM
In regards to in bold, AC games over time have.. AC1 was challenging.

Compared to the others, yeah it was more challenging.

Megas_Doux
12-08-2013, 11:30 PM
No! It is not.

However, I am enjoying BIG time all the naval stuff in AC IV, love wandering in the Caribbean looking for Man O war´s to board, plantations to loot and animals to harpoon. I know that is not the "core" of the game, but I have to say it is making the ride one to remember in terms replay value and fun.

For the first time in the franchise, and up to the level of behemoth like GTA and RDR and unlike the theoretically appealing big "huds" like the Kingdom and the frontier, there IS something to do. Way different from previous games in which you only travel there for the sake of it -not that I particularly dislike that, though-.

Offtopic: in terms of challenge, although still very easy, AC III is the only one in which I have ever been killed in open combat. Being owned by larger ships in a non upgraded Jackdaw is a different story :P

Landruner
12-08-2013, 11:32 PM

Like I told you before, the all thing could have been working better if the Assasssin Part will have been beyond that a succession of stupid tailing missions over and over - Imagine them doing a WWI AC game and new AC hero is an aviator and doing the same in paying more attention with the airplane gameplay and people will ask so please no more airplane battle because it is not an Assassin but an aviator , the problem will stay the same as long as they do not work on a better approach and in a better way in the assassin gameplay, the problem will stay the same with whatever new hero and time period they come with - In short: Ubisoft please work on better design for the Assassin missions and offer whatever the assassin could be or do as a second point only but do not put the second point higher with a better gameplay than the hero assassin's priority, motivation or devotion.

Landruner
12-08-2013, 11:39 PM
What franchise!? Assassin's Creed of course. Black Flag isn't a franchise. Also, I don't think Ubisoft have said yet if they will make a pirate game. It was merely a question on a survey. And even if they did it doesn't rule out the possibility of Naval being in future AC games.

Okay I think we turn in circle there, since like I wrote above Ubisoft is going to make a series spin off of Black Flag (Own franchise of naval or pirate games) , they will probably won't include any naval in a future AC, and if naval has to come back in some future AC, which I seriously doubt, it will be for one or two missions if the time, story and situation allow that, but it won't be part of the main gameplay anyhow. (main part or second part in the gameplay)

Now if naval should be back to AC, well why not if the opportunity offers it, why not, but not emphasized in better gameplay comparing to the Assassin part like it was the case in AC4

Kagurra
12-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Offtopic: in terms of challenge, although still very easy, AC III is the only one in which I have ever been killed in open combat. Being owned by larger ships in a non upgraded Jackdaw is a different story :P

I think I died on the first man o war I ever boarded, which was pretty early on in the game. Now I play with SSI off to make the combat a bit more challenging and to get rid of the big red ! over people's heads when countering, but even back then when I didn't, the ship combat is sometimes a little wonky. Enemies will attack one of your pirates from off screen and end up hitting you, and sometimes when you counter a heavy, Edward won't roll out of the way and just get smashed.

I don't think I've died in combat since then though, maybe one time when I wasn't paying attention or something dumb. Obviously have no trouble now with any ship, just an example from early game.

MIA SILENT
12-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Okay I think we turn in circle there, since like I wrote above Ubisoft is going to make a series spin off of Black Flag (Own franchise of naval or pirate games) , they will probably won't include any naval in a future AC, and if naval has to come back in some future AC, which I seriously doubt, it will be for one or two missions if the time, story and situation allow that, but it won't be part of the main gameplay anyhow. (main part or second part in the gameplay)

Now if naval should be back to AC, well why not if the opportunity offers it, why not, but not emphasized in better gameplay comparing to the Assassin part like it was the case in AC4

Ok cool. And I agree that if it does return it should be way less emphasized - even if it's rapidly becoming a lot of peoples favourite feature. I'm just wondering if we'll see it (naval combat) become another "core pillar". Also, mind showing me where Ubisoft have said they will make a series of black flag spin offs/pirate games? Just link the article or something.

flamesium
12-09-2013, 01:00 AM
No, not as a core part of AC proper, but if they want to spin Black Flag off as its own thing then sure.