PDA

View Full Version : Timing of string pluck

Karnagious
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I was playing this game at a friends place and was looking to buy it myself, but I cant get past this problem and I hope it is just a config or misperception thing.

I am supposed to pluck the string right when the rotating tab reaches the strings right? But if I did that I wouldnt get a hit. I ended up playing by ear, and my friend said thats what he does.

We saw some tips online so I made sure there wasnt some sort of sound 'enhancement' screwing things up (I was plugged directly in to his laptop). I also went into the config and set the delay (with the beeping thermometer thingy), but even when that was dialed in I still had to have the note played before the tab reached the string.

Can someone confirm that my assumption about the timing is correct? Pluck right when the tab hits the string?

mrvega79
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
If there's no lag on your lag-o-meter, then yep, you're supposed to play in time with the music... You can turn off part of the visual effects and lower resolution in order to tighten things up. I play on a laptop and have no lag.

Of course, that's only one part of the mysterious logorithms Rocksmith uses to determine hits and misses. Wait until you start trying to play chords...

Marauder359
12-08-2013, 05:31 PM
That is how it's supposed to be. So, if you're playing by ear and getting it right, is the music not in synch with the visuals?

fatherrock
12-08-2013, 10:49 PM
might need to adjust visuals in options

Personally, I go by this:

Time it by ear, just use the visual to warn me it is coming up.

Karnagious
12-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the responses.

So, if you're playing by ear and getting it right, is the music not in synch with the visuals?

I was trying a bunch of new songs that I havent heard before, so couldnt rely on timing that much. The music isnt in sync with the visuals. I will check the visual options next time I am over there.

Going by ear is a lot like using tab anyway. You cant play the song from the tab, as timing is difficult to get across in ascii.

Marauder359
12-09-2013, 03:08 AM
One more question: When you pluck your string is there any noticeable lag between that and when the string sounds from the game?

Karnagious
12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi Marauder359, thanks for taking an interest.

I didnt notice any lag in plucking the string. Does that indicate a specific problem?

daddy_felix
12-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Another question about timing: is the rotating note something like a "timing indicator", i.e. do I have to plug when it's completely rotated by 90? Or is it just a visual gimmick?

mrvega79
12-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Another question about timing: is the rotating note something like a "timing indicator", i.e. do I have to plug when it's completely rotated by 90? Or is it just a visual gimmick?

Well, it's definitely getting you ready to pick the string.

But really, the whole idea of playing music is playing in time. Focus on that. Play WITH the music. LISTEN to the drums.

If you're finding it difficult to figure out the timing of a song, it's probably too difficult for you right now. Choose an easier, more basic song. There's a list in the forums ranking the songs from easy to difficult.

wolfor_t_a
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM
I think you're talking about the lag you get when using a PC? There are several articles on how to reduce the lag for Rocksmith on the internet, I don't have a link ready atm, though. Googling might help you there, I guess.

rwilson1982
12-09-2013, 12:36 PM
I try and pluck when it is just before the fretboard to account for natural latency. I think if you pluck as soon as the note starts rotating you will be too early and if you do it when it is already on the fretboard you will be too late. I found it is somewhere inbetween.

I am using the PS3 with analog audio going to my guitar amp so geenrally don't experience any latency.

C.Linton
12-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I go by the visual cues AND the sound. I look at it as the visual cues tell me what to play, the soundtrack tells me when to play it.

Marauder359
12-09-2013, 07:15 PM
If the sound coming from your instrument is on time, i.e. no lag from the time you pluck until the time you hear yourself, then the only issue you're having is video lag, not to be confused with audio lag... So, audio lag would be if you plucked your string and it didn't sound through the speakers right away. That would be caused by using HDMI or some other processing bit that causes your sound to be delayed. Thankfully, that's not your issue. You have video lag, which simply means that the video you're watching isn't synched with the appropriate sounds for said video. I know you said you set that, but try setting it again. You should be hitting the notes basically in time with them impacting the fretboard... If you think you're doing it right, it's possible you're video is still a touch out of synch. Notice that there are markers under the note highway that indicate the beat... that can help set it.

Karnagious
12-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks again. I will head over this weekend and give the settings another tweak.

RE: playing with the music. Yes, thats a nice idea, and where we all want to end up eventually. But having the visuals out of sync with the music creates significant cognitive dissonance and makes it more difficult to play with the music. Training your brain to work with that dissonance, to auto-adjust, is one solution, but the better one is to not have the dissonance in the first place.

RE: the rotating note marks. They do seem like they should mean something. If they dont mean anything,.. well a lot of frustration can be caused by false visual cues.

Rojoyinc
12-09-2013, 11:19 PM
I think I have the opposite problem. I'm on fast iMac and If I play by ear I get a MISS for the note and when playing easy parts I have to FORCE myself to pick the note early in order to hit it when the program wants me to. Any ideas how to adjust that?

Marauder359
12-10-2013, 01:17 PM
I think I have the opposite problem. I'm on fast iMac and If I play by ear I get a MISS for the note and when playing easy parts I have to FORCE myself to pick the note early in order to hit it when the program wants me to. Any ideas how to adjust that?

He was having the same problem, having to pick early to be recognized. Follow the same advice.

steel_string
12-11-2013, 12:50 AM
RE: the rotating note marks. They do seem like they should mean something. If they dont mean anything,.. well a lot of frustration can be caused by false visual cues.

I always assumed that was to make it easier to see the notes behind them by having the notes at different angles. Doesn't usually matter, but it might help a bit when notes are closely packed.

Asterlius
12-14-2013, 12:18 PM
He was having the same problem, having to pick early to be recognized. Follow the same advice.

There's a calibration setting in the options for the monitor to adjust the sound timing to match the monitor display.
I do not know if this affects the actual sound delay (it probably shouldn't) but the default is 50, probably 50 milliseconds. Turn that to 0 just to be safe and play by ear.

PC monitors have 2-5ms display lag anyway, they're not awful like televisions. I don't know how people play console games tbh with such lag

C.Linton
12-14-2013, 03:21 PM
There's a calibration setting in the options for the monitor to adjust the sound timing to match the monitor display.
I do not know if this affects the actual sound delay (it probably shouldn't) but the default is 50, probably 50 milliseconds. Turn that to 0 just to be safe and play by ear.

PC monitors have 2-5ms display lag anyway, they're not awful like televisions. I don't know how people play console games tbh with such lag
It's never been a problem for me before this, and it's not been a problem for me with RS either since I setup my PS3 and stereo the way Ubisoft suggests. And as I am currently using the "not recommended" setup with RS2014 of playing the audio thru the HDMI, As far as I can tell, the lag in 2014 appears to have been eliminated entirely.

Marauder359
12-14-2013, 04:18 PM
It's never been a problem for me before this, and it's not been a problem for me with RS either since I setup my PS3 and stereo the way Ubisoft suggests. And as I am currently using the "not recommended" setup with RS2014 of playing the audio thru the HDMI, As far as I can tell, the lag in 2014 appears to have been eliminated entirely.

Same exact experience here, but on Xbox.

kiddeath09
12-14-2013, 11:45 PM
I find using the approaching notes as a guide, and playing by ear, works best. After a short time, you get used to where the note on the screen is when you hit it right, and learn to see that as the "right spot" to play it.

C.Linton
12-15-2013, 01:41 AM
As I said earlier, the best way for me is to use the approaching visual cues to show me WHAT to play, and the actual soundtrack for WHEN to play it. It's better to use a combination of both visual and audio cues rather than concentrating more on one or the other. For me anyway.