PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Content is Marginalizing

Pink Devil Fish
12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I know Ubisoft listens to their customers and really didn't know where else to post this aside from the Ubisoft forum's which admitting I do not frequent. Not seeing a feedback thread for the game aside for one for the single player campaign I figured this would be the best place.

I stopped by my parent's house yesterday afternoon and much to my surprise I've still been getting Xbox magazine in the mail even though I thought I cancelled it years ago. Seems my little brother has been reading them and I've been paying for them.

Inside of the issue was an interview with Ashraf Ismail, the game Director for Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. i really enjoyed the article and the obvious pride that Mr. Ismail and the employees at Ubisoft have for their product. Now before I get into what I want to say I will preface it by stating that I've played every Assassin's Creed title except for the ones on appearing only on handheld. I've bought all the DLC and most of it. I've really just enjoyed the series more than most other titles that came out last genartion and it is my opinion that Ezio has been one of the best game characters I've ever seen in the format.

Anyways, while reading the article I couldn't help but notice a note on the bottom of a page mentioning Aveline de Grandpre from Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation appeared in exclusive content on the PS3/4 for Black Flag will and that content will never appear on an Xbox console. This is quite upsetting to me as a loyal consumer. Like I stated earlier I've purchased all the AC titles brand new except for handheld ones, and actually I have played the one with Altair in the DS. I own both systems and am an early adaptor. I own an XONE and a PS4. I do almost all of my third party gaming on the XBOX consoles because I generally prefer it. I don't understand why us as gamers are given the shaft because of the system we choose to do our primary gaming on. I can understand when something is just for consoles or just for hand helds and even timed exclusives and other marketing ploys but I cannot understand limiting content on otherwise equal games. I don't like the idea of this or where this is going to lead? Whether or not this exclusive content is good or just arbitrary and has little to do with the overall arch of the game I can't help but feel that I am missing out on content that everyone that purchases this title should get to enjoy. If practices like this continue I may just have to pass on future AC titles. There are already more games being released then I have time to play. I don't want to skip any future titles as I enjoy the faux historical settings and characters. As it sits I feel a whole sub set of the gamers who enjoy this series are being marginalized.

Sincerely ,
An Annoyed Gamer.

DarktheMagister
12-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Blame the console wars man. Stuff like this is bound to happen as long as Sony and Microsoft are taking shots at eachother.

Kagurra
12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I only read up to the point where you mentioned Aveline's DLC, but you aren't missing much AT ALL. It's 30 minutes at best, and has terrible writing and design.

ze_topazio
12-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome to our modern world.

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Continue? The Copernicus Conspiracy is an exclusive only to PS3 (and maybe 4)

I doubt they see it as "punishing" you because of your console of choice, at least you can pick and choose which game you want for the future since you own both next gen consoles.

Or, get a PC. We've received every single DLC for every single AC game except Copernicus Conspiracy.

DarktheMagister
12-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Continue? The Copernicus Conspiracy is an exclusive only to PS3 (and maybe 4)

I doubt they see it as "punishing" you because of your console of choice, at least you can pick and choose which game you want for the future since you own both next gen consoles.

Or, get a PC. We've received every single DLC for every single AC game except Copernicus Conspiracy.

I didn't know that was exclusive. I liked that one. Plus it was free....and that usually wins me over.

poptartz20
12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
it's not a punishment if you chose the right system. Haha.

no but really it's just one of those things. just like you have releases like Titanfall for one system and not on the other. It's just a console wars thing.

MnemonicSyntax
12-08-2013, 09:34 PM
And the WiiU doesn't get jack. At all.

DarktheMagister
12-08-2013, 10:02 PM
And the WiiU doesn't get jack. At all.

Eventually the WiiU will get all the exclusive Nintendo in house titles that Nintendo fans adore....so thats something.

Hell.. I ended up buying a Wii (albeit VERY late in its life cycle) JUST so I could play Skyward Sword (all in all....maybe 4-5 good Wii games out there.)

I just never really got on with the whole motion control thing.

ShardofTruth
12-09-2013, 04:53 PM
You're reallty late to the party Pink Devil Fish as the Sony consoles and the PC editions almost always got exclusive content in the past:

Assassin's Creed (PC): Director's cut side missions
Assassin's Creed II (PS3): exclusive weapons
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3): Copernicus Conspiracy DLC
Assassin's Creed III (PS3/PC): Benedict Arnold DLC
Assassin's Creed IV (PS3/PS4/PC): Aveline DLC

I only read up to the point where you mentioned Aveline's DLC, but you aren't missing much AT ALL. It's 30 minutes at best, and has terrible writing and design.
It's only 30 minutes if you run through it and skip every cutscene, the writing and design was also much better than in any given ACIVBF side mission. It's much more polished than the Benedict Arnold or Copernicus Conspiracy DLC.

Kagurra
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
It's only 30 minutes if you run through it and skip every cutscene, the writing and design was also much better than in any given ACIVBF side mission. It's much more polished than the Benedict Arnold or Copernicus Conspiracy DLC.

I've read differently multiple times. And you can't say the writing was better than ANY giving BF side mission since the same person who did the Aveline stuff did the Templar hunt missions. Also, no, it's 30 minutes even if you're taking your time. It's been said multiple times, even on this forum. There was a review thread for the dlc, forget the name. I'm sure you can find it.

ShardofTruth
12-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Show me a 30 minute video on youtube where someone takes time for this DLC (I don't mean speedruns or videos, where it's obvious that the player exactly knows where to go from the start) and we're talking. I played through it, even two times, the first playthrough was a casual run that roughly lasted one hour and the second without alerting any enemy which was about 2 hours long.

I also can say that the writing was better than any templar side mission because to me it was, that doesn't say much of course as the writing of BF was generally lacking. Anyway, it's still better than the other two exlusive DLCs and much better than the three extra islands which were a huge dissapointment, so as a free extra is totally okay.

The quality of DLCs for the series were slowly degrading since Revelations, that's why I see this as a good sign for Freedom Cry.

SixKeys
12-09-2013, 11:00 PM
I think Benedict Arnold was probably the best of all the exclusive DLCs so far. At least it had a clear beginning and end. The Aveline one was buggy and extremely vague.

VernierJewel2
02-04-2014, 11:23 AM
If Ubisoft made exclusive content available for each and every platform, they'd actually benefit as well instead of creating acrimony.