PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Help Needed - Moving Between Stalking Zones Turns Into Jack-In-The-Box

NeoMorph WTH
12-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to move between stalking zones WITHOUT standing up, making lots of noise and generally being the worst stealth system in the history of gaming? Eddie can wear no boots (stealth outfit) and he still sounds like he has hobnailed boots on.

Bit of a spoiler warning here so don't read on if you don't want to know...

So I have reached the Observatory level... and the guardians have eyes in the backs of their heads. As soon as I move out of a stalking zone, I can be approaching a guardian from behind and he INSTANTLY knows when I stand up and attacks. WORST AI DESIGN EVER!

I mean... WHY THE HELL STAND UP... Where is the ability to move crouched down that even prehistoric man could figure out with their eyes closed.

RANT WARNING:
I'm sorry, but while this game has been my favourite AC game since ACB it really does have a blind side in development that makes me want to scream obscenities at the devs. I'm sure I could crouch in one of the previous games (Revelations.... not sure though) so WHY REMOVE IT? It's just got sooooo many things right that are ruined by so many more things that are wrong. I think there was just toooooo much stuff thrown into the game and nothing was polished. If you are going to include a feature like stealth, make sure you include things to help with stealth... crouched down, soft soled boots, camo outfits.... not rocket science here. Camo outfits doesn't mean soldier camo... it means clothes that would let Edward hide in the crowds in towns (ie the trader clothes) and hunting outfits for the bush... but they seem to be just cosmetic ingame.

And of course if you are going to include stealth you should let the player crouch while moving between stalking zones. NOT. ROCKET. SCIENCE.

Trying to be stealthy and walking upright just doesn't go together. I usually like to be stealthy, but AC4 just hobbles the player and forces them to just go through the game hacking and slashing (which isn't bad but it does show how badly designed or rushed it was). It just feels like the game was rushed out the door in time for the new console releases.... and it's hurt what could have been one of my favourite games in the AC series.

We are paying a lot of money for the next gen games. We should be given games that are more polished as a result. If the release was 6 months further down the line I thing both the consoles and the game would have been better for it.

I mean, why didn't you hold it back like Watch Dogs.

Anyway, rant off.... I'm off to forget about stealth and just smash the enemy instead.

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 12:59 AM
There's nothing that allows you to crouch in 4, except being in stalking zones. You cannot crouch from point to point, and you couldn't crouch in Revelations.

My suggestion was, why not allow a crouch to happen for a few seconds between stalking zones? Put the chances of being detected while crouched at half, and just continue to crouch until you get to the next zone, or until say, 3 seconds is over with.

If you leave a blended party of people, you'll notice you'll remain blended as you walk away for a few seconds. That should be implemented with a crouch/stealth option when going between zones, especially considering how close some stalking zones are.

Also, while you're paying a lot of money for "Next Gen" games, so are the people who are on Current Gen, and because Ubisoft didn't want to do two games side by side that were different, Current Gen wins and it's optimized for those systems with a bit of pretty added to Next Gen. That's a fact.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 01:05 AM
There's nothing that allows you to crouch in 4, except being in stalking zones. You cannot crouch from point to point, and you couldn't crouch in Revelations.

My suggestion was, why not allow a crouch to happen for a few seconds between stalking zones? Put the chances of being detected while crouched at half, and just continue to crouch until you get to the next zone, or until say, 3 seconds is over with.

If you leave a blended party of people, you'll notice you'll remain blended as you walk away for a few seconds. That should be implemented with a crouch/stealth option when going between zones, especially considering how close some stalking zones are.

Also, while you're paying a lot of money for "Next Gen" games, so are the people who are on Current Gen, and because Ubisoft didn't want to do two games side by side that were different, Current Gen wins and it's optimized for those systems with a bit of pretty added to Next Gen. That's a fact.

If they dont add some sort of crouching in next AC...

Darby was right in saying that it needs to be part of a whole system...so DO IT UBISOFT

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 01:12 AM
If they dont add some sort of crouching in next AC...

Darby was right in saying that it needs to be part of a whole system...so DO IT UBISOFT

Yes, but it was also stated it was tried and didn't work so well.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 01:19 AM

False. They said it worked fine, but they took it out because some ******* playtesters thought they would be invisible while crouched, regardless of whether they were in cover or not. STOP CATERING TO THESE IDIOTS UBISOFT.

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 01:23 AM
False. They said it worked fine, but they took it out because some ******* playtesters thought they would be invisible while crouched, regardless of whether they were in cover or not. STOP CATERING TO THESE IDIOTS UBISOFT.

That's not working fine though.

Okay, you've played 4, right Wolf? And you're aware of the Stealth Outfit? I'm not sure the parameters on how much more it makes you stealthy, but it could be something like that, when crouched ONLY.

Insulting others isn't going to help, because you're going to have people in all walks of life play Assassin's Creed. Even new players, who may not know any better.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 01:43 AM
That's not working fine though.

Okay, you've played 4, right Wolf? And you're aware of the Stealth Outfit? I'm not sure the parameters on how much more it makes you stealthy, but it could be something like that, when crouched ONLY.

Insulting others isn't going to help, because you're going to have people in all walks of life play Assassin's Creed. Even new players, who may not know any better.

It is common sense of gaming. Crouching has been in games for decades. Humans should know by now that you are not invisible from guards when crouching in the open. You dont see games like skyrim, dishonored, or any other game give a crap about some stupid playtesters. "New AC players". Please. That is NOT an excuse. AC, a game about stealth, should especially not care. And NO, AC is not just a social stealth game anymore. It stopped being a completely social stealth game as soon as they decided to make a game taking place in the woods.

And yes, it was working FINE. It was literally just an aesthetic thing. So it either works perfectly, or it doesnt. And it worked perfectly.

Ubisoft needs to stop throwing away game features when they create the smallest amount of confusion in a few playstesters. Maybe they werent stupid, maybe they were just confused once, and then figured it out, and then the devteam overreacted to it by taking it out altogether.

AC4 was a miracle, but behind the naval sandbox that made the game what it is, there is still the tiring, stale land sections that need complete overhauls. More can be done with stealth, parkour. And combat. I do not care about the mechanics brought in by crouching. I do not think it should MAKE you any stealthier per se, but it is a needed aesthetic feature that should have been added froom the first game.

It looks STUPID for the character to walk completely upright in forts, restricted areas, and woods, when in the presence of a legion of enemies, only to lower himself to the ground in a bush. Crouching would also add new GAMEPLAY this as well, like being able to hide from sight behind low walls and carts that have been in the games for years.

If citizens see you crouching, then it would not be any more "shocking" than seeing you climb up a buildings. Less so in fact. So if you say that crouching doesnt belong in the game, you are saying that freerunning does not belong in the game.
You can say you dont care about crouching, but would it HURT the experience? No.

D.I.D.
12-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Trying to be stealthy and walking upright just doesn't go together.

True. But - voluntary crouching presents an AI problem all of its own. We need truly reactive AI, but the old gen systems lack the processing overhead for truly interesting AI. Instead, the NPCs are governed by relatively simple rules (I say "relatively": obviously, they are not simple, but they're simpler than a really good AI would be). The kind of AI this game really needs (line-of-sight interactions, analysis that resembles judgements, good simulations of wariness after a threat, etc) eats up a lot of resources.

How should the guards react to crouching? They need a way of determining if what you're doing is sufficiently "weird" to stamp on you for it. And, by real world rules, most use of crouching should see you facing aggression, as would sneaking, running, and making abrupt changes in movement. Most players would find this very unfair - they want predictable rules that they can easily understand, otherwise they'll be tearing their hair out wondering what they could possibly have done to deserve the attention of this guard AI... and they'd say that AI was broken too! So, in order to satisfy that, you need not only better AI but also a lot more audio files of the guards' speech to indicate why they are pushing you around: "This guy, creeping around... this must be our murderer!", "This lunatic is skulking like a worm... a danger to other citizens", and so on. This is something that the series can possibly do, once it has moved on from the last gen.

As for your question, you have to make use of the fizzling out of your grey cloaking as you leave cover, but remember too that running is a high-visibility action. You can zip from cover to cover quite safely as long as you use this well, but unfortunately this version of stealth will still force you to kill on occasions. Playing it like Dishonored's "clean hands" is extremely hard and perhaps impossible, but you are certainly not forced into hack-and-slash. It might not be perfect, but I thought the stealth in AC4 was by far the best of the series.

Oh, by the way - there is a crafting option to create a stealth outfit; have you tried that? I liked the Templar Armor too much to use anything else, but that might help you.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Cover system and contextual crouching please. I don't think the series needs a dedicated crouch button but in a, let's say, restricted area with stalking zones...you should be able to hold down the A button while in a stalking zone and if you keep it held down, you stay crouched even when you leave the stalking zone. It won't make you invisible but it will make you silent until you reach the next hiding spot. Likewise, a cover system, allowing us to peer around corners but also to crouch behind shorter objects such as a crate, barrel, desk, whatever would greatly benefit the stealth as well. An Assassin should be able to adapt. If their target is in a public area, we need to be able to make use of the crowds with social stealth and crowd AI being enhanced... but if the target is in a private villa or fortress where the public is not allowed into, we need to be able to have adequate hiding and observation techniques such as a cover system.

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 01:58 AM
It is common sense of gaming. Crouching has been in games for decades. Humans should know by now that you are not invisible from guards when crouching in the open. You dont see games like skyrim, dishonored, or any other game give a crap about some stupid playtesters. "New AC players". Please. That is NOT an excuse. AC, a game about stealth, should especially not care. And NO, AC is not just a social stealth game anymore. It stopped being a completely social stealth game as soon as they decided to make a game taking place in the woods.

And yes, it was working FINE. It was literally just an aesthetic thing. So it either works perfectly, or it doesnt. And it worked perfectly.

Ubisoft needs to stop throwing away game features when they create the smallest amount of confusion in a few playstesters. Maybe they werent stupid, maybe they were just confused once, and then figured it out, and then the devteam overreacted to it by taking it out altogether.

AC4 was a miracle, but behind the naval sandbox that made the game what it is, there is still the tiring, stale land sections that need complete overhauls. More can be done with stealth, parkour. And combat. I do not care about the mechanics brought in by crouching. I do not think it should MAKE you any stealthier per se, but it is a needed aesthetic feature that should have been added froom the first game.

It looks STUPID for the character to walk completely upright in forts, restricted areas, and woods, when in the presence of a legion of enemies, only to lower himself to the ground in a bush. Crouching would also add new GAMEPLAY this as well, like being able to hide from sight behind low walls and carts that have been in the games for years.

If citizens see you crouching, then it would not be any more "shocking" than seeing you climb up a buildings. Less so in fact. So if you say that crouching doesnt belong in the game, you are saying that freerunning does not belong in the game.
You can say you dont care about crouching, but would it HURT the experience? No.

Jaysus. Where in the HELL did I say crouching doesn't belong? I said CROUCHING that doesn't do anything doesn't belong, but it should do SOMETHING. It should make you a bit more stealthy, YOU KNOW, LIKE CROUCHING IN REAL LIFE DOES.

You realize that AC4 brought in loads of new players, right? New players who have joined this VERY forum and are confused with how things work. So new players are an excuse. People who don't understand how things work, is an excuse. They're all valid.

The sense of entitlement around this forum is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone acts like everyone else is an idiot, or stupid, and want this game that panders to a niche group of people and not the majority. In order for you to understand what I'm saying "those idiots" are the masses. For someone who is in the know about play testers, you sure don't know that they get play testers from all different positions, to the Conan O' Brien who doesn't play video games (or at least those sorts of games) to the truly diehard fans of AC. It's not just one focus group.

They're trying to pander to the masses, not one person or group of people. Damn. My idea was a suggestion to make crouching actually DO something, I wasn't suggesting to not have it.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 02:18 AM
Jaysus. Where in the HELL did I say crouching doesn't belong? I said CROUCHING that doesn't do anything doesn't belong, but it should do SOMETHING. It should make you a bit more stealthy, YOU KNOW, LIKE CROUCHING IN REAL LIFE DOES.

You realize that AC4 brought in loads of new players, right? New players who have joined this VERY forum and are confused with how things work. So new players are an excuse. People who don't understand how things work, is an excuse. They're all valid.

The sense of entitlement around this forum is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone acts like everyone else is an idiot, or stupid, and want this game that panders to a niche group of people and not the majority. In order for you to understand what I'm saying "those idiots" are the masses. For someone who is in the know about play testers, you sure don't know that they get play testers from all different positions, to the Conan O' Brien who doesn't play video games (or at least those sorts of games) to the truly diehard fans of AC. It's not just one focus group.

They're trying to pander to the masses, not one person or group of people. Damn. My idea was a suggestion to make crouching actually DO something, I wasn't suggesting to not have it.

I never said your idea was bad either. Its called an opinion, friend. If they dont know that crouching will not keep them invisible, then the game should TEACH them. It is as simple as making a small tutorial pattern. Those players dont stay as amateur forever. It could be an excuse for confusion at first, but after a little bit of playing the game? It does not stay as an excuse forever. Because people need to learn.

It is very simple to learn. So it angers me that A. Some people seem to be too simpleminded to learn how to play a game, or B. Ubisoft is throwing away game features when the smallest obstacles appear.

And dont act all high and holy. There is no overly righteous sense of entitlement here. And notice how I made a whole paragraph about how crouching should do SOMETHING. So. I never said your idea was bad. I never even critiqued it in any way. I just said that I dont really CARE about crouching having the same effect as stealth outfit. It is not a high sense of entitlement to disagree with you.

I apologize if it seems that I am angry with YOU. I am not. And when I was saying "you can say it isnt important yadayada," I was referring to people in general.

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 02:21 AM
I never said your idea was bad either. Its called an opinion, friend. If they dont know that crouching will not keep them invisible, then the game should TEACH them. It is as simple as making a small tutorial pattern. Those players dont stay as amateur forever.

And dont act all high and holy. There is no overly righteous sense of entitlement here. And notice how I made a whole paragraph about how crouching should do SOMETHING. So.

I'm not acting high and holy. I have an open mind and realize that Ubisoft is trying to pander to the masses here. I'm not saying you don't either, but calling people idiots doesn't really help much either.

And yes, a tutorial. I absolutely agree.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I'm not acting high and holy. I have an open mind and realize that Ubisoft is trying to pander to the masses here. I'm not saying you don't either, but calling people idiots doesn't really help much either.

And yes, a tutorial. I absolutely agree.

Please read my revised post

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Please read my revised post

Not a problem :)

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Not a problem :)

I do not like to argue with others here. Lets just hug and make up

Landruner
12-07-2013, 03:08 AM

Honestly believe it or not, they did not...as Wolfmester wrote and as Darby said himself, they removing the bending animation because it was useless seen the AI of the foes was set to see you despite that fact (which was confusing for the "Beta testers"), the all system needed to be working in consequence - It is time to really put a real crouching option with the AI set in consequence.

Landruner
12-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to move between stalking zones WITHOUT standing up, making lots of noise and generally being the worst stealth system in the history of gaming? Eddie can wear no boots (stealth outfit) and he still sounds like he has hobnailed boots on.

Bit of a spoiler warning here so don't read on if you don't want to know...

So I have reached the Observatory level... and the guardians have eyes in the backs of their heads. As soon as I move out of a stalking zone, I can be approaching a guardian from behind and he INSTANTLY knows when I stand up and attacks. WORST AI DESIGN EVER!

I mean... WHY THE HELL STAND UP... Where is the ability to move crouched down that even prehistoric man could figure out with their eyes closed.

RANT WARNING:
I'm sorry, but while this game has been my favourite AC game since ACB it really does have a blind side in development that makes me want to scream obscenities at the devs. I'm sure I could crouch in one of the previous games (Revelations.... not sure though) so WHY REMOVE IT? It's just got sooooo many things right that are ruined by so many more things that are wrong. I think there was just toooooo much stuff thrown into the game and nothing was polished. If you are going to include a feature like stealth, make sure you include things to help with stealth... crouched down, soft soled boots, camo outfits.... not rocket science here. Camo outfits doesn't mean soldier camo... it means clothes that would let Edward hide in the crowds in towns (ie the trader clothes) and hunting outfits for the bush... but they seem to be just cosmetic ingame.

And of course if you are going to include stealth you should let the player crouch while moving between stalking zones. NOT. ROCKET. SCIENCE.

Trying to be stealthy and walking upright just doesn't go together. I usually like to be stealthy, but AC4 just hobbles the player and forces them to just go through the game hacking and slashing (which isn't bad but it does show how badly designed or rushed it was). It just feels like the game was rushed out the door in time for the new console releases.... and it's hurt what could have been one of my favourite games in the AC series.

We are paying a lot of money for the next gen games. We should be given games that are more polished as a result. If the release was 6 months further down the line I thing both the consoles and the game would have been better for it.

I mean, why didn't you hold it back like Watch Dogs.

Anyway, rant off.... I'm off to forget about stealth and just smash the enemy instead.

You pull up a nerve and a topic of deliberation that had been on for weeks now - I know what you are complaining about, and it is a pain in rodoodoo to happen not being seen by anyone there and just feeling as a breeze of silence and invisibility in that game.
Well, do like most people did, do not mind the yellow icons, just be seen and go to hide and wait a bit because the AI is moronic and they forget about you very quickly, or use the blowpipe to make they sleep or get berserkers or just go on rampage. In trying to find a strategy with the Berserk dart could be fun, I usually used both the sleep and Berserk to try to make my way because I gave up on being snaky and just using the hidden blades.

Kagurra
12-07-2013, 03:30 AM
It'd be nice, but honestly I didn't love the way it worked in the demos. It seemed like you stayed crouch for a certain amount of time after leaving a stalking zone. This shouldn't be the case, it should be how Bob suggested. If you hold A while also holding high profile, you'll crouch run for a certain amount of seconds. If you don't go into another stalking zone by time's up, you stand back up. (lets say... 4 seconds?)

Landruner
12-07-2013, 04:11 AM
It'd be nice, but honestly I didn't love the way it worked in the demos. It seemed like you stayed crouch for a certain amount of time after leaving a stalking zone. This shouldn't be the case, it should be how Bob suggested. If you hold A while also holding high profile, you'll crouch run for a certain amount of seconds. If you don't go into another stalking zone by time's up, you stand back up. (lets say... 4 seconds?)

Those animations from the demo(s) were just there for making the transition between the hidden spots nicer and more natural (You don't stand up like an idiot like Connor or Edward do when you try to be snaky in real live, by reflex you bend your body a bit in hoping to be smaller for not being seeing), but apparently those animation as you mention above did not affect the gameplay and even if the social blending or environmental stealth crouch/bending animation(s) from those E3 demo(s) were cool, it won't have changed a dam thing since the AI was not even set up for responding to the crouch/bending between bushes, which is where I have a problem with in first place.

Kagurra
12-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Those animations from the demo(s) were just there for making the transition between the hidden spots nicer and more natural (You don't stand up like an idiot like Connor or Edward do when you try to be snaky in real live, by reflex you bend your body a bit in hoping to be smaller for not being seeing), but apparently those animation as you mention above did not affect the gameplay and even if the social blending or environmental stealth crouch/bending animation(s) from those E3 demo(s) were cool, it won't have changed a dam thing since the AI was not even set up for responding to the crouch/bending between bushes, which is where I have a problem with in first place.

Yeah, except it wasn't only used when transitioning hiding spots. Even when you left the stalking zone and there wasn't another one anywhere near you, he still crouched out in the open for no reason for a little ways. You should only do this if you hold the A button. And yeah, crouching shouldn't make you invisible like the stalking zones obviously like the playtesters thought, but it should lower your profile so you're harder to spot. And by harder to spot I don't mean slower detection, I mean that the line of sight of the guards has to be able to see you even when you're down low.

So lets say you're crouch running, and there's a guard in the distance looking straight. You crouch run in front of his field of view trying to run past, but since there's a stalking zone bush or a rock or wall or something, he shouldn't see you since you're low to the ground and underneath his FOV. Basic cover logic. But apparently that's not how it worked and it was just an aesthetic thing. Even if it is aesthetic it should be in the game as long as it's the way I mentioned, holding A to keep down for a few seconds so you don't do it when you don't want to.

Wolfmeister1010
12-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Yeah, except it wasn't only used when transitioning hiding spots. Even when you left the stalking zone and there wasn't another one anywhere near you, he still crouched out in the open for no reason for a little ways. You should only do this if you hold the A button. And yeah, crouching shouldn't make you invisible like the stalking zones obviously like the playtesters thought, but it should lower your profile so you're harder to spot. And by harder to spot I don't mean slower detection, I mean that the line of sight of the guards has to be able to see you even when you're down low.

So lets say you're crouch running, and there's a guard in the distance looking straight. You crouch run in front of his field of view trying to run past, but since there's a stalking zone bush or a rock or wall or something, he shouldn't see you since you're low to the ground and underneath his FOV. Basic cover logic. But apparently that's not how it worked and it was just an aesthetic thing. Even if it is aesthetic it should be in the game as long as it's the way I mentioned, holding A to keep down for a few seconds so you don't do it when you don't want to.

Or, instead of overcomplicating things like that..we can just assign all crouching to a single button. Like lb or rb for xbox, rb not being used for anything on land at the current control scheme. So if you want to be hidden in stalking sones, you crouch down it it, it does the whole "hidden" soundeffect, and you are good. No more automatic crouching. So if you want to crouch around unrealistically, that is your choice. It should all be about choice. Ubi should stop trying to decide for us when we should do certain things like crouch.

But yeah a better cover system is needed as well, like behind thick bushes or low walls/carts. Might even be able to create new assassination maneuvers: like in ME3, crouched cover assassinations. (Reaches over cover, pulls over guard, stabs, and leaves on the ground hidden from sight on the opposite side of the wall)

It all works PERFECTLY

Kagurra
12-07-2013, 06:18 AM
Or, instead of overcomplicating things like that..we can just assign all crouching to a single button. Like lb or rb for xbox, rb not being used for anything on land at the current control scheme. So if you want to be hidden in stalking sones, you crouch down it it, it does the whole "hidden" soundeffect, and you are good. No more automatic crouching. So if you want to crouch around unrealistically, that is your choice. It should all be about choice. Ubi should stop trying to decide for us when we should do certain things like crouch.

But yeah a better cover system is needed as well, like behind thick bushes or low walls/carts. Might even be able to create new assassination maneuvers: like in ME3, crouched cover assassinations. (Reaches over cover, pulls over guard, stabs, and leaves on the ground hidden from sight on the opposite side of the wall)

It all works PERFECTLY

Yeah, this is perfect and I would love it. Although I didn't suggest putting it on a new button because they seem to not want to do that. I would not suggest RB though, and instead just use Right Stick click. Clicking that now centers the camera. A feature I've NEVER, and I mean, NEVER used on purpose. Is that even really needed? But of course someone would complain if they removed it, so they probably don't want to remove any controls.

Landruner
12-07-2013, 08:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDlEwUP7lps

I put the video under the spoiler option above for not taking space and I put that video for the ones that want to understand what we are talking about including the OP of this thread since I believe this is what he/she would like to have seen in the game or try to refer to.

Okay I see what you mean above and it seems that it was something like effectively an animation that was given by a crouch option (that player actions and not automatic like it is in the game) and you could use it while running (I am actually surprised that you mentioned earlier that you don't like that?) - if they were really adding a crouching option for the player to action I hope they leave the option to move at your own pace (fast or slow) the way your want to value your discretion and stealth. (certainly the way that you describe above by pressing the A button or else button)

Anyway like I told you before that video was scripted and on a rail, so I am sure they did not work deeply on that function and ability ever even during development, and if like Darby said they dropped it because it was confusing the Beta Testers, well I do not know if I have to laugh or cry. (;) vs :nonchalance:)

Think most of the games that make you crouching for stealth force you walking slow like dirt while crouching, in fact that is better to bend this way and moving fast and discreetly at the same time. Still the AI has to be set in consequence of that animation in order to be efficient and reduce the chance to be seen while moving from one hiding spot to another like the odd being 50/50 to be seen while a crouch running depending where the foes is and what you environment is.

In AC4 post release the configuration of the AI considers you being seeable as soon as you our out of the hiding spot, which is the OP refers to, and I understand that it sucks the popsicles by the stick when you play that game and fix all your hope of being invisible - so sure it was not changing much.

NeoMorph WTH
12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
When a game like Call of Duty can handle stealth wayyyyyyy better than a game that is supposed to be all about stealth then you know there is a problem. Dishonoured is another game that is about stealth THAT DID IT PERFECTLY. Both of those games allow you to crouch but if you are in the open you are still in a lot of trouble. Moving between stalking zones while crouched should lower the speed which the realises what is happening. If you are moving while crouched with a short wall between you and the enemy then they shouldn't detect you if they can't see you.

Another thing that really gets my goat is missed animation frames that happen in EVERY AC game. Going from crouched to fully upright in one frame and going from one direction to another in one frame just ruins the immersion factor. You go to shoot someone in the head and the enemy switches from standing to crouching in one frame and then you miss. I think the devs need to watch humans sometime because they sure as hell don't move like that and I hoped the move to a platform that supports more memory would let them include more transitional frames.

Look at Batman Arkham City (ignore the horribleness that is Arkham Origins) and you will see some great animation and stealth. Ironically Assassins Creed and Arkham City have the same initials.... I just wished they had the same engine so that stealth worked right In Assassins Creed and the animations actually FLOWED instead of blipping between pre-rendered animations. Just look at when a Brute goes to hit you.... It's a bit like the brute goes "I've started so I'll finish" at times. Edward just stands there and waits for the blow to hit at times, no matter what you press. The combat is either block then do something or it's attack and get hit from behind it seems (and yeah, it seems to happen A LOT if you do just a standard attack).

Also, how come that an enemy can be fighting an ally and is facing away.... I go to hit another enemy and the enemy fighting the ally flips 180 degrees and hits Edward in the back. It's times like those that make me swear like a trooper with "BULLDOODOO" being the most common one.