PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft could possibly be making a non-AC pirate franchise.

LoyalACFan
12-06-2013, 04:13 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/06/ubisoft-surveying-fans-on-assassins-creed-5-pvp-naval-combat

Quite the interesting read for the AC fan.

xCHEMISTx
12-06-2013, 04:18 AM
Well Black Flag basically a pirate game under the Assassins Creed logo. There definitely does seem to be interest in a naval type game if they choose to head in that direction. It should be a new series though and let Assassins Creed return to its roots.

Rugterwyper32
12-06-2013, 04:41 AM
See, I think this could be of GREAT benefit to the series. Right now, if there's one Ubisoft series that consistently sells well and does them good it's Assassin's Creed, but with a separate pirate franchise that could end up being rather successful, a few things could come out of it:

1. Potentially not yearly games. I like my AC games, I really do, but they could always do with extra time for polish and taking in more feedback. One year yes/one year no sounds pretty good to me, in any case.
2. Freedom to experiment with other elements of the series without as many worries of "it won't sell as well". A pirate series is pretty sure to be successful, the way I see it, and with a big seller around the place that would print money, sales not being as impressive for one game wouldn't be the end of the world.

At least that's the way I see it

MnemonicSyntax
12-06-2013, 04:46 AM
The only problem I have with AC games NOT coming out on a yearly basis is that damn cliffhanger at the end of each game. While I'd love a every other year cycle of Watch_Dogs and AC, if there are cliffhangers... .ugh.

Also, why is there a need to explore other people's houses and interiors of buildings? Are we playing Chase, Foreman and Cameron from House now?

Wolfmeister1010
12-06-2013, 05:25 AM
They do this since it is likely they wont do naval in the next AC.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
12-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Honestly... if they made a pirate game they could probably bill it under the "Black Flag" title and have two series: Assassin's Creed and Black Flag.

Black Flag 2, Black Flag: Privateers, Black Flag: Redemption

Assassin's Creed V, Assassin's Creed: Templar Order, Assassin's Creed: Revival.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag would be both a continuation of AC while also the birth of a spin off/new series entitled Black Flag. I think that'd be pretty cool especially if it gave AC more time (doubt it) but yeah. that way, at least they could then re-focus their ideas on the core of AC.

LoyalACFan
12-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Also, why is there a need to explore other people's houses and interiors of buildings? Are we playing Chase, Foreman and Cameron from House now?

I think they're probably thinking about interiors of major landmarks, like the cathedrals and such we visited with Ezio, rather than little colonial buildings we've grown accustomed to since AC3.

Personally, I'd like it, though it's not a deal-breaker by any means if they don't go that route. Besides, there's not a whole lot of buildings in the world that could top the interiors of Renaissance cathedrals, so even if they do start using more interiors, they likely won't be as exciting as AC2-ACR's.

LoyalACFan
12-06-2013, 05:50 AM
On-topic, though, if they make a pirate series I hope it's all fictional. No famous pirate figures. They've already done Blackbeard, and frankly, if they tried to do a game with real-life pirates without him it would fall flat.

Hopefully they'd be looking at the first Golden Age, in the late 1600s.

MnemonicSyntax
12-06-2013, 06:35 AM
I think they're probably thinking about interiors of major landmarks, like the cathedrals and such we visited with Ezio, rather than little colonial buildings we've grown accustomed to since AC3.

Personally, I'd like it, though it's not a deal-breaker by any means if they don't go that route. Besides, there's not a whole lot of buildings in the world that could top the interiors of Renaissance cathedrals, so even if they do start using more interiors, they likely won't be as exciting as AC2-ACR's.

Ah yeah, I can get behind this. But if they don't, not a deal breaker.

LoyalACFan
12-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Ah yeah, I can get behind this. But if they don't, not a deal breaker.

Yeah. Although it does seem weird that they put the question about building interiors in with other ones concerning MAJOR gameplay elements. Seems like kind of a trivial thing in comparison.

AssassinHMS
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

I think that would be awesome!! Imagine the possibilities: Assassinating targets inside their own houses or random events/side missions like these:
While in free-roam, by using shadow/light stealth, the player could approach a random group of NPCs, talking to each other, undetected. Then, if the player so desires, he can stick around and eavesdrop on the conversation. This would trigger a random event where, the NPCs would start talking about possessing a treasure or some valuables hidden inside their house. After completing the eavesdropping, the player could tail that NPC and discover the location of said house. In order to avoid detection, as well as a conflict with an innocent person, the player could break in (by entering through an open window or by pickpocketing the NPC's key. Once inside, the player would find his way to the valuables and steal them. In some cases, among the valuables, there could be a letter that would mention the person who gave those valuables to the NPC and the reasons behind it. It could be, for example, that the NPC was working for a Templar and the valuables were in fact a reward for some job. This would lead to an assassination mission (previously locked) where the objective is to eliminate the Templar threat.
Another example of the potential behind the ability of exploring the inside of buildings would be: random NPCs walking the streets that are in fact Templars or people who work for them (from priests to beggars). Imagine you’re wondering around, just exploring the city, when you notice a priest passing nearby. If you look carefully, you will notice a Templar cross and, if you use eagle vision, he will be marked in golden. By tailing the target through the streets, you will eventually arrive at some church. Inside you follow the priest while using crowds and shadows to remain undetected until he leads you to a secluded place and uses a lever which unveils a hidden passage. After he “vanishes”, you pull the same lever and, as the secret door closes behind you, you start to hear the sound of people whispering. As you delve deeper into what appears to be a tomb, you discover that you are in a Templar’s hideout. There you can eavesdrop on the meeting (if you wish), or you can deal with the threat. Those who want to simply walk right in and expose themselves can do so, but will have to face more enemies at once, while those who choose the stealth path, can take down the guards silently, leaving the Templars unprotected. Then, it would only be a matter of interrupting the meeting and make sure none of the Templars escapes.

Exploring the inside of buildings brings a whole new world of possibilities and it mixes perfectly with Assassin’s Creed. Missions, random events could start on the streets and end inside beautifull buildings. I really hope they add this feature.

SamBushen24
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Anyways back on topic........I would be really up for a pirate game. Thoroughly enjoying black flag, but couldn't help think the pirate bit could do with tweeking. I want more customisation with my ship, i want to choose my ship, style of ship, colour, size of ship, like smart and clean like the Aquila or much like the jackdaw. If they did this game though, they would have to make it co-op drop in drop out system. That's the main thing I would of loved in black flag is the ability to sail around with mates. Would of made this game a lot better with the option of co-op.

Lethalla
12-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Some great ideas here...

I've always wanted to go inside more buildings. I liked in AC3 that you could go into the Manor without having a load-screen. Oblivion and Skyrim were great with buildings' interiors... if only they hadn't the LONG load times. And their Assassins' Guild & Thieves' Guild missions were a lot like AssassinHMS was describing. With a large dash of AC2.

One thing I would have liked to do in ACBF is to capture ships and maybe swap for the Jackdaw. A Man o' war is a very heavy ship, hard to manoeuvre in battle (or any time, for that matter) but it might have been good to upgrade to a Frigate... or even have the option to switch between ships as one saw fit. And I'd also have loved to explore below decks, not just the Captain's Cabin.

My biggest question, though, is WHY UBI HAVEN'T ASKED US FORUMERS TO CONTRIBUTE TO THEIR QUESTIONNAIRE (or if they have, where is it?)

ze_topazio
12-06-2013, 02:55 PM
They definitely should, its too great of a concept to never use it again, i would love to see what they can do without the "we are trying to be accurate and realistic".

xMorgothx2012
12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
This game should have been its own thing from the beginning. It is hardly connected to Assassin's Creed anyway. Just change a few small elements and you would have a pure pirates story.

Hans684
12-06-2013, 03:21 PM
This game should have been its own thing from the beginning. It is hardly connected to Assassin's Creed anyway. Just change a few small elements and you would have a pure pirates story.

-_- Not even worth discussing.

adventurewomen
12-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Sounds like this might be a bit cliché, just an excuse to have a pirate only game.

Landruner
12-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Eh guy! just for the fun of it! Just because I am laughing now - 2 months ago i openned a thread telling you they were going to do a a Black flag round 2 and if people were for it - The few replies I got were negative and very condesending - See, I told you they they were going to do that. LOL;)

Sushiglutton
12-06-2013, 03:39 PM
I'd love another pirate game without the AC logo tbh. When beating the legendary ships I kind of realized just how much untapped potential there still is in naval. And ofc they have the multiplayer card to play. Underwater/harpooning could be integrated more seamlessly into the world (aka sea animals you can interact with appearing natrually and the ability to dive down (without the diving bell) everywhere you like. Finally they should renovate the combat system. Could be another amazing game for sure.

BATISTABUS
12-06-2013, 04:06 PM
If they do another pirate game, there is one thing in particular that they need to NAIL.

They need open world co-op like Red Dead Redemption. This is a MUST. I didn't hold AC4 to this expectation because it was current gen, they were still working on the formula, and it was partially an AC game, but if they go full pirate, I minimally expect this. If they can't do this, then I wouldn't even bother making the game. This means at least 16 people playing at once (probably more now with next-gen), pvp ship battling and boarding, pvp on land combat, multiplayer raids, and even more seamlessness (inside of buildings, no loading major cities).

Shahkulu101
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I reckon the series will have a less than stellar start, the experience will be barebone and full of untapped potential. A couple of years later, they will release the sequel, the sequel will refine absolutely every aspect and best it's predecessors in every department except story. The game will receive universal critical acclaim and sell exceptionally well, at which point Ubisoft will announce the cancellation of the Assassin's Creed series and the annualisation of Ubisoft's Pirate franchise.

MnemonicSyntax
12-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I think that would be awesome!! Imagine the possibilities: Assassinating targets inside their own houses or random events/side missions like these:
While in free-roam, by using shadow/light stealth, the player could approach a random group of NPCs, talking to each other, undetected. Then, if the player so desires, he can stick around and eavesdrop on the conversation. This would trigger a random event where, the NPCs would start talking about possessing a treasure or some valuables hidden inside their house. After completing the eavesdropping, the player could tail that NPC and discover the location of said house. In order to avoid detection, as well as a conflict with an innocent person, the player could break in (by entering through an open window or by pickpocketing the NPC's key. Once inside, the player would find his way to the valuables and steal them. In some cases, among the valuables, there could be a letter that would mention the person who gave those valuables to the NPC and the reasons behind it. It could be, for example, that the NPC was working for a Templar and the valuables were in fact a reward for some job. This would lead to an assassination mission (previously locked) where the objective is to eliminate the Templar threat.

It just sounds like you want a 3rd person Thief. While I think it's an okay idea, if I'm playing an Assassin like Connor or Ezio, "breaking" into someone's house isn't something they would do and therefore something I would not do. With Edward, possibly, but even he wouldn't steal treasures from someone. So I'd have to go against the characters beliefs to unlock an Assassination Mission?

Also, the light/dark thing is really too much. These are supposed to be side missions, right? I'm not trying to spend 30 minutes on one side mission, sorry.

Another example of the potential behind the ability of exploring the inside of buildings would be: random NPCs walking the streets that are in fact Templars or people who work for them (from priests to beggars). Imagine you’re wondering around, just exploring the city, when you notice a priest passing nearby. If you look carefully, you will notice a Templar cross and, if you use eagle vision, he will be marked in golden. By tailing the target through the streets, you will eventually arrive at some church. Inside you follow the priest while using crowds and shadows to remain undetected until he leads you to a secluded place and uses a lever which unveils a hidden passage. After he “vanishes”, you pull the same lever and, as the secret door closes behind you, you start to hear the sound of people whispering. As you delve deeper into what appears to be a tomb, you discover that you are in a Templar’s hideout. There you can eavesdrop on the meeting (if you wish), or you can deal with the threat. Those who want to simply walk right in and expose themselves can do so, but will have to face more enemies at once, while those who choose the stealth path, can take down the guards silently, leaving the Templars unprotected. Then, it would only be a matter of interrupting the meeting and make sure none of the Templars escapes.

Exploring the inside of buildings brings a whole new world of possibilities and it mixes perfectly with Assassin’s Creed. Missions, random events could start on the streets and end inside beautifull buildings. I really hope they add this feature.

How would you "look carefully?" Characters on these games aren't exactly high detail because of it being a 3rd person view.

It also sounds a bit like the Batman games where you're investing a crime scene. None of these ideas are really original, as they're just pulled from other games, and while that's not a problem in itself, some things like light/dark belong in certain games and not others.

RzaRecta357
12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
So where do we go to fill this survey out? I'd like to get my vote in on the new modern character thing.

AssassinHMS
12-06-2013, 11:26 PM
It just sounds like you want a 3rd person Thief. While I think it's an okay idea, if I'm playing an Assassin like Connor or Ezio, "breaking" into someone's house isn't something they would do and therefore something I would not do. With Edward, possibly, but even he wouldn't steal treasures from someone. So I'd have to go against the characters beliefs to unlock an Assassination Mission?

Also, the light/dark thing is really too much. These are supposed to be side missions, right? I'm not trying to spend 30 minutes on one side mission, sorry.

How would you "look carefully?" Characters on these games aren't exactly high detail because of it being a 3rd person view.

It also sounds a bit like the Batman games where you're investing a crime scene. None of these ideas are really original, as they're just pulled from other games, and while that's not a problem in itself, some things like light/dark belong in certain games and not others.

Why do you say I want a copy of Thief? Simply because you can steal valuables from people’s houses? Then, by your logic, AC is already a Thief game since you can pickpocket any citizen.
As for the “an assassin does not break into someone’s house”, it seems pretty illogical since they are all willing to steal from people (and I bet you did that as Ezio, Connor or even Altair). Besides, who says the assassin must be a goody or righteousness person? It may be a pirate. So this “problem” is pretty irrelevant. Also, the situation might vary from the example I gave, as the assassin may already find out (during the initial eavesdrop) that the person works for a Templar (which would be an even bigger reason to break in that person’s house). Anyway, I don’t see the problem here.

And why is it that light/shadow stealth is too much? It’s perfect! I truly can’t see why anyone (that wants stealth to improve) would be against this system, especially when it makes perfect sense for an assassin to use shadows to his advantage (in fact, it almost seems dumb for it not to be there along with a crouch system). Notice that I’m not saying that it needs to be a super complex system, something in the lines of Skyrim would suffice. There are so many missions and situations in AC games that could benefit and even make more sense if there was a light/dark stealth system.

Also, they are random events that can unlock assassination missions. You don’t have to spend 30 minutes with them because they aren’t all glued together. The first example I gave is a simple random event that combines eavesdropping, tailing and pickpocket/lockpicking. However, some random events (like the first example I gave) can lead to other side missions that you can complete any time you want. So you see, although they are related (as you unlocked one by doing the other) they are separated and you can do them any time you want. This connectivity encourages the player to explore the world as he knows a random event may lead to something bigger.

The “look carefully” isn’t really necessary though. You see, these NPCs look and behave differently. If you’re sharp enough, you will notice the Templar cross (if there is one) but there other signs: expensive clothes, jewelry, fast walk, dark or menacing look and in some cases the NPCs may even draw the player’s attention due to certain actions they perform. Anyway, if you notice something different or wrong, you can check with eagle vision to make sure, if not, then you need to pay more attention. The point is to encourage the player to make an effort to be attentive and look out for abnormalities and “feel” the city and it’s not like these Templars want to stand out. In a way it is like in Multiplayer, when you have to pay attention in order to recognize your target or your pursuer from a random NPC. Now that I’m thinking, perhaps there could be a list (that you have to collect by completing specific missions) that shows the face and overall look of these Templars, so that, if you happen to come by one in the street, you’re able to recognize him/her more easily.

None of these ideas are really original?? First, they are more original than AC’s current combat system (which is a shameless copy of Batman games), second nothing is really original and third, this is original. I came up with these ideas on my own while imagining what I would like to do in an AC game. I never even played Batman games so don’t say I copied these ideas from other games because I didn’t, all of them were handmade for AC.

MnemonicSyntax
12-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Why do you say I want a copy of Thief? Simply because you can steal valuables from people’s houses? Then, by your logic, AC is already a Thief game since you can pickpocket any citizen.
As for the “an assassin does not break into someone’s house”, it seems pretty illogical since they are all willing to steal from people (and I bet you did that as Ezio, Connor or even Altair). Besides, who says the assassin must be a goody or righteousness person? It may be a pirate. So this “problem” is pretty irrelevant. Also, the situation might vary from the example I gave, as the assassin may already find out (during the initial eavesdrop) that the person works for a Templar (which would be an even bigger reason to break in that person’s house). Anyway, I don’t see the problem here.

You're requiring breaking in to get valuables and information, to eventually unlock an Assassination mission. You might not think it's a problem, but if I'm role playing a noble character, then I wouldn't really want to do it. I absolutely hate the requirements of pick pocketing for the guilds for Ezio and Connor and usually, I'll bribe the crier, then steal my money back from them because he's corrupt anyway. But I don't like it. If I pickpocket money, like in 3, one requirement for the Thieves' Guild is to pickpocket from a "wealthy" citizen. I steal the requirement, and then in turn throw that money BACK down at his feet because I feel like Connor is a man of honor and wouldn't do that. Edward would.

The point is, you want options, but this isn't an option. It's a happy coincidence that you're just robbing a Templar or a Templar funded by a wealthy constituent. There's a guy in Revelations who isn't a Templar but supports them because it's a mutual agreement. While that's bad, and I wouldn't feel bad for stopping his habits, I wouldn't rob him. You don't see a problem with any of this because you have your mind set on what you want. If the mission had you do different objectives that had you follow someone (though people are sick of tailing missions, me too) and you find out they have Templar info, then breaking into a house would be more viable.

And why is it that light/shadow stealth is too much? It’s perfect! I truly can’t see why anyone (that wants stealth to improve) would be against this system, especially when it makes perfect sense for an assassin to use shadows to his advantage (in fact, it almost seems dumb for it not to be there along with a crouch system). Notice that I’m not saying that it needs to be a super complex system, something in the lines of Skyrim would suffice. There are so many missions and situations in AC games that could benefit and even make more sense if there was a light/dark stealth system.

Because it would be too difficult for some. This is a social stealth game, not Splinter Cell, not Thief. You're supposed to be there, but not seen. A crouch system isn't necessary either, because then you'd have people complaining that crouch didn't do anything but have them crouch. Unless you're talking about reworking the whole thing and allow crouching to do something, then you'd have people complaining you can't get into a prone position and belly crawl either.

I wish you'd stop trying to take these ideas from other games, because those games are FPSes. Skyrim's stealth meter is due to the fact that it's a FPS. Even in third person mode, the stealth and sneaking is broken and not realistic in the least.

Also, they are random events that can unlock assassination missions. You don’t have to spend 30 minutes with them because they aren’t all glued together. The first example I gave is a simple random event that combines eavesdropping, tailing and pickpocket/lockpicking. However, some random events (like the first example I gave) can lead to other side missions that you can complete any time you want. So you see, although they are related (as you unlocked one by doing the other) they are separated and you can do them any time you want. This connectivity encourages the player to explore the world as he knows a random event may lead to something bigger.

Improving the "3 pillars" you keep preaching over won't help the fact we're STILL tailing, STILL pickpocketing, STILL eavesdropping. That's boring and old. There needs to be something better than those three events. In 4, there's an event where you have to intercept an Italian diplomat and steal his clothes. That's interesting, and then you can use that "disguise" to go and take a letter handed off to a courier or something. There's got to be more than just eavesdropping, pickpocketing and for chrissakes, tailing. So many people are tired of tailing.

But this doesn't need to be a "Hitman" type thing where you can steal anyone's clothes at any time. That's ridiculous and I would absolutely hate that "ability."

The “look carefully” isn’t really necessary though. You see, these NPCs look and behave differently. If you’re sharp enough, you will notice the Templar cross (if there is one) but there other signs: expensive clothes, jewelry, fast walk, dark or menacing look and in some cases the NPCs may even draw the player’s attention due to certain actions they perform. Anyway, if you notice something different or wrong, you can check with eagle vision to make sure, if not, then you need to pay more attention. The point is to encourage the player to make an effort to be attentive and look out for abnormalities and “feel” the city and it’s not like these Templars want to stand out. In a way it is like in Multiplayer, when you have to pay attention in order to recognize your target or your pursuer from a random NPC. Now that I’m thinking, perhaps there could be a list (that you have to collect by completing specific missions) that shows the face and overall look of these Templars, so that, if you happen to come by one in the street, you’re able to recognize him/her more easily.

So a list of characteristics that you collect to determine who the Templar is? Like what? 1) He's wearing a red shirt 2)Oh, and he's got brown hair 3) And..oh yeah, a goatee, and 4) a weird hat. Why would that need to be a list? It seems to detective-like. I know you want Investigations back, but most people, when asked, will remember most everything about a person if they can recall it. It wouldn't be one guy remembering one thing, another guy remembering another, etc.

I'm not too keen on the idea of "everyone's a suspect" and I should have to walk around the city taking note of everyone, especially in a third person sort of game.

None of these ideas are really original?? First, they are more original than AC’s current combat system (which is a shameless copy of Batman games), second nothing is really original and third, this is original. I came up with these ideas on my own while imagining what I would like to do in an AC game. I never even played Batman games so don’t say I copied these ideas from other games because I didn’t, all of them were handmade for AC.

You're negating yourself so much here, so I'll break it down for you:

1) The combat hasn't changed since AC1. Yes, it's easier now, and the buttons are the same, but it's the exact same thing. Wait, counter, kill. Or, attack, attack, kill. This has been in effect since AC1.

2) How can you call something a shameless copy of something if you've never played it? Batman's combat is much different, more fluid and much more difficult, BECAUSE everyone can attack you at once, and he literally goes from one corner of a room to another for a counter or chain kill (knockout, excuse me. Batman doesn't kill) That being said, Assassin's Creed's combat (in any version) is actually for more realistic than Batman's. Lastly, how can it be a copy of something if AC came first?

3) The lightdark/shadow stuff is from Thief. I mentioned your idea to a friend and he said "sounds like Thief." Sounds like Splinter Cell.

4) Lastly, I never even compared the combat of Batman to AC. I said it was like a "crime scene" investigation. I also said your ideas for being copied from other games aren't really all that bad, however that some functions, like the light/dark thing, or the weight requirements don't fit in the AC world. They don't. The idea of weight capacity affecting how well your character runs or swims or free-runs is realistic, but doesn't fit in the series.

Assassin's Creed is so far from realism it's not even funny. And you can't pick and choose what you want in the way of realism, if you want it to be more realistic. I mean, if we're talking realistic, have you ever seen a cloak draped over a crossbow on someone's back? It wouldn't look like it does in Revelations, I assure you.

I think a lot of your ideas are pretty good, but you go overboard a lot on them. Sure, it's your wishes, your ideas, but remember you're not the only one playing this game either. So don't get your hopes up on a lot of this stuff, because it probably won't happen.

Megas_Doux
12-07-2013, 01:48 AM
On-topic, though, if they make a pirate series I hope it's all fictional. No famous pirate figures. They've already done Blackbeard, and frankly, if they tried to do a game with real-life pirates without him it would fall flat.

Hopefully they'd be looking at the first Golden Age, in the late 1600s.

It does not have to be set in the Caribbean, China had its heavy doses of piracy, check out this lady:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_Shih

She makes Blackbeard, Morgan, Low, Vane, Roberts and any west indies pirates pale in comparison...........

And in regards in of Assassins HMS ideas, I like those!!!!!! But I am sure that being able to access random buildings would limitate severely the parkour and freedom options, both horizontally and vertically.

I have been told that the climb "what you want" mechanic requires a lot of resources, adding the interior of the building would be HELL.

flamesium
12-07-2013, 05:21 PM
They absolutely should pursue a Pirate franchise (with or without the AC brand), but they'd need to add some other layer or significantly more depth to naval combat if they intend to strip out the AC side of things. People wouldn't be so ready to sing the praises of AC3 / Black Flag's naval combat if that was all they had.

The way I see it, they either go totally sandbox (Pirates! style) and let you make your own fun, or the go for a kind of Age of Sail Mass Effect. Either has potential, but I'm not sure Ubisoft are a good fit for the latter.

The sandbox approach could be excellent with a sort of temporary / dynamic multiplayer approach (which seems set to be the next big thing), with the game having safer areas of the map to be in and richer, more dangerous areas where other players can be 'merged' into your world and appear on your horizon at any time. Maybe a Governor could offer you a reward to hunt down a dangerous pirate in the area, and if you accept, the game could find another player who is in the same region with a high wanted level and merge you into their world to try and hunt them down. They could have public events where you and a couple other players are temporarily merged into the same world to take down a treasure fleet, and if you succeed you either agree to split the plunder or all turn on each other to try and win it all. Maybe you are a straight-laced privateer and are tasked with protecting that same fleet instead. There's limitless potential for this sort of thing in this setting.