PDA

View Full Version : Provoke * creature skill *

devahuna
12-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Provoke
1.) ( Whenever opponent plays a creature card or uses an ability to deploy a creature it must be deployed in the same row this creature is located )
2.) ( Whenever an enemy creature attack it should target this creature if possible )
A creature with provoke should have a low attack or cannot attack at all but got a high value of retaliation and health.

the description might be too long, so you can change some of it but the point is the word provoke, its simply a good addition for some combo's as well as a counter to some cards like shadow image etc. there's a lot of things or sub-skills you can just think of.

Balance :

I guess it cannot attack or it must have a low attack only, provoke is a thing for tanks so having a high amount of health, it should diminished every turn like a poison counter or something :)

Pros :

FireBurst 4 with Provoke
PreEmptive strike with provoke <3
double attack with provoke
Hypnotize with provoke
and the best is Ambush with provoke * trollololl *
A good counter to puppet master, enthrall and especially shadow image
A good counter to some rush decks I suppose
A good addition to some control deck or Rush decks as well

Cons :

If the row is fully occupied provoke is kinda useless
it cannot attack or got low attack rate
can be called OP skill if not balanced well

pongkrit03
12-06-2013, 04:25 AM
too strong

1.Delete this => ( Whenever an enemy creature attack it should target this creature if possible )
2.May be but not always ==> ( A creature with provoke should have a low attack or cannot attack at all but got a high value of retaliation and health.)

On the contrary, creature with provoked ability can have strong atk or combo with strong atk creature as well, for example vamprie ***. You force opponent to put down creature in specific row, and kill it in one shot with vamprie ***. I have been thinking about this kind of ability for a while though because without the ability to force enemy to deploy or relocate in Necro deck, vampire *** is pretty useless

PS. I don't like word "provoke". I don't think it suits itis abiliy.

Sasuga
01-31-2014, 03:01 PM
too strong

1.Delete this => ( Whenever an enemy creature attack it should target this creature if possible )
2.May be but not always ==> ( A creature with provoke should have a low attack or cannot attack at all but got a high value of retaliation and health.)

- Edit -

PS. I don't like word "provoke". I don't think it suits itis abiliy.

I agree with Pongkrit03 on the things I didn't edit out above.

I'd call it "Taunt", Challenge, or Call Out

Also, I'd only require a creature to be deployed there if there is no creature in that row already.

I could see it as a Stronghold and/or Haven ability, personally. I'd probably make a few creatures with the ability.

I'd like to see several creatures with a spread something like this for Haven:
R1, F1, 0/1/4 Melee & Taunt
R3, F2, 1/2/6 Melee & Taunt
R3, F2, 2/4/6 Melee & Taunt

For Haven, I see these guys as body guards who are putting themselves in harms way for others. While the mechanic is the same, it represents them stepping in front of the enemy as they enter the field (even though mechanically the enemy is being placed in front of them). Maybe these guys are getting paid to be body guards, or maybe they are chivalrous, either way they're just throwing their bodies in front of danger to take the damage from others (whether that other is your hero or another 'creature').

They don't need more than the Taunt because Haven has First Strike and things like Range & Melee Guard. These creatures combined with those Haven Abilities, plus the ability to heal, increase defense, etc, make these creatures very powerful with the simple starting stats and what I'm calling "Taunt". I believe they should have the 0/1/4 so they can be deployed early against other creatures that cost take a few hits before dying. He can even be early-ish game threatening by giving him a blessed weapon or whatever to boost his damage.

And something along these lines for Stronghold:
R1, F2, 1/2/2 Melee, Taunt & Retribution
R2, F3 2/3/3 Melee, Taunt & Berserker
R7, F6 2/4/9 Melee, Taunt, Bloodthirst 1, & Maybe Enrage 1

I know Retribution is currently a Haven ability, and Berserker is basically an Inferno ability, but I'm picturing guys as a clan of berserkers with Stronghold that want to prove they're tough, to a fault. They're willing to take on guys bigger than them just to prove they're tough. The low-cost guy isn't as tough as he think's he is, but he'll still take down a Soothsayer, Magic Peddler (some merchant) without a problem... He calls people out, sure but if you place him in front of a Wretched Ghoul, a Shark Guard, or Maniac, or Ranaar Mauler, he'll die... but he is tenacious enough to take them down with him, and/or to hurt someone larger than him (hence why I think he should have Retribution).

The next size up has some battle experience, he's taken down a Ghoul or two. He's tougher, faster, and even more overconfident. He not only calls out other creatures, but he'll attack anything that's put in front of him. Hence why I think it should have Berserker. Its a drawback really, because it allows your opponent to drop something like a Hellfire Bloater down in front of him, or really anything that can take it out. They're going to have to eat the damage from him some how, but you're going to have to eat whatever they put down in front of it too. Makes it kind of balanced.

The last big guy, now, he truly is tough. He might have started out like the others and got lucky enough to survive and learn a thing or two, and toughen up in the process; or maybe he was tougher or more cunning than the others to start with. Either way, he's lived through a few battles and he's one pissed off veteran. He's pissed off about losing his friends, he hates the enemy, and he's a strong, tough mo-fo who will take down a dragon by himself if ticked off enough. Hence why I suggest Bloodthirst and Enrage. It also suits as a late game challenge for opponents.

=-=-=-=

I was thinking Sanctuary might get something with this mechanic too, being they've got some Samurai-ish theme too them. I could certainly see a Sayama challenging people, but Sanctuary already has things like the ability to move enemies around the field and to freeze enemies in place. Combining a taunt creature with a Snow Maiden would probably be 'too broken' (not that this game doesn't already have a lot of 'broken' things in it already).

As for Inferno, I could see a ranged creature for them with this ability, but if so it should probably be unique. I'm picturing one of their Lilim's with it.

As for Necro and Academy, I think they should be the ones that don't get this ability. I'm sure there are some wicked combos that could be made there (as with the other factions) but in the name of keeping things different, and also because I don't think it suits their flavors, I don't think they should get this sort of ability in any form. Necro are undead, and not very honorable... The mindless undead are already a wave of undead that gets between things and the undead hero, while the smarter undead are not honorable or caring, also they tend to be sneaky. As for the Academy, they also tend to go about things from the sides... Either with magic, by moving out of the way of danger, or by shooting at it from a distance... I just don't think it fits their flavor.