PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with going round in circles with this!!!

hammyhamster3
12-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Trying to buy a track to download, it takes all my information then says "Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy 'Rocksmith - Ram Jam - Black Betty' which requires ownership of 'Rocksmith™'. Please correct the error and try again."
I have purchased Rocksmith 2014 and been using it for days now.
Also, getting very confused with having to log in in 3 different place here, Ubisoft, Uplay and Steam, what's all that about?
I try logging in and it says i have to create a new account, i enter my email and it says it's already in use, won't accept my password etc (which ARE right).
Getting really put off because of all this confusing rubbish and am ready to bin it, not worth the hassle.

TheJohnNewton
12-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Steam has an issue where you can only buy DLC if you own the game it was originally released for. So when it says you need to own RockSmith it means the original version. They claim to be working on a fix so you don't have to own the original but haven't heard much about any progress on that.

You say you've been using it for several days so I assume you have it all set up ok? You don't really need to log in manually to anything after the initial setup. Launching the game will start up steam and uplay in the background.

hammyhamster3
12-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks,
in the requirements panel, it says compatible with Rocksmith 2014.
It's all been set up and working for days now, just can't seem to purchase.
Just tried purchasing 2 different ones, came up with the same notification as above, jeez!!!!

raynebc
12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Until they fix the bug you probably won't be able to buy that DLC unless you also get Rocksmith 1 for PC (not an option on Mac, if that's applicable for you).

ProzacTheClown
12-05-2013, 09:16 PM
If you can find the original game for cheap I would definitely pick it up. That will let you pay $10 to import a ton of songs from the original and enable you to buy the dlc. Also if you are trying to get Black Betty I hope you aren't a beginner lol.

While you can't play Rocksmith on a Mac all of the songs you import and the DLC you buy does work with 2014 on one.

TheJohnNewton
12-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Until they fix the bug you probably won't be able to buy that DLC unless you also get Rocksmith 1 for PC (not an option on Mac, if that's applicable for you).

This is correct. Currently you have to own the first one. The dlc will work on 2014.

A clarification on Macs, though there is no RockSmith 1 version for Mac, if you buy the PC version you will then be able to both buy dlc from the first one and import the songs from the first one into the 2014 version for Mac.

toymachinesh
12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Hopefully the price will drop again (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GKT2W2/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=theri07-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B009GKT2W2&adid=17NYVZ05R3X8BY5RZ1NK&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Frcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com%2Fe%2Fcm%3Flt1%3D_blank%26bc1%3D00000 0%26IS2%3D1%26bg1%3DFFFFFF%26fc1%3D000000%26lc1%3D 0000FF%26t%3Dtheri07-20%26o%3D1%26p%3D8%26l%3Das4%26m%3Damazon%26f%3Dif r%26ref%3Dss_til%26asins%3DB009GKT2W2)

hammyhamster3
12-05-2013, 11:43 PM
thanks everyone, that makes sense now, very frustrating though

DecalDoe
12-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Yeah, to purchase the old DLC, I had to buy the original Rocksmith on Steam, and the $10 "Rocksmith 2014 Disc Import Tool", which is just... seriously? $10 extra for a few lines of code that looks on your hard drive for files, and maybe copies them over? I guess I could be wrong about that, so if that import tool is actually justified at its price tag, somebody please tell me what it does, because I detect shenanigans.

The game itself is gorgeous, but there is a lot of frustrating bull attached to using it.

mrvega79
12-24-2013, 02:11 AM
On the other hand,a lot of the RS1 songs I've tried in RS2014 have serious issues with the sound quality. They did a lousy job of converting the files, that's all. It's not such a big deal for me, since I already owned RS1, so I'm only out the 10 bucks for the import tool. But if you don't own RS1, don't bother buying it just to get the old songs. At least, not until they've corrected this sound quality issue.

I believe the extra 10 bucks was to cover licensing of the songs for the new version.

PBNA-StringDude
12-24-2013, 02:23 AM
If you plan to use RS 2014 you probably need to have the import tool if the song you are trying to download is an RS original.

toymachinesh
12-24-2013, 02:55 AM
If you plan to use RS 2014 you probably need to have the import tool if the song you are trying to download is an RS original.

No, that's not true.

Coolbreeze
12-24-2013, 03:05 AM
Yeah, to purchase the old DLC, I had to buy the original Rocksmith on Steam, and the $10 "Rocksmith 2014 Disc Import Tool", which is just... seriously? $10 extra for a few lines of code that looks on your hard drive for files, and maybe copies them over?

This happens with a lot of games like Rock Band. The company has to pay a licensing fee to allow you to import these to another game. It's part of music copyright.

DecalDoe
12-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Ah yeah, that makes sense; I hadn't thought of that. You'd think that fact would be advertised, though :P

SideTraKd42
12-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Yeah, to purchase the old DLC, I had to buy the original Rocksmith on Steam, and the $10 "Rocksmith 2014 Disc Import Tool", which is just... seriously? $10 extra for a few lines of code that looks on your hard drive for files, and maybe copies them over? I guess I could be wrong about that, so if that import tool is actually justified at its price tag, somebody please tell me what it does, because I detect shenanigans.

The game itself is gorgeous, but there is a lot of frustrating bull attached to using it.

To clarify, there are four categories of songs, with different issues and licensing.

1. Rocksmith 2014 On Disc Songs: Licensed for use only in Rocksmith 2014, only owners of that game can use those songs.

2. DLC released after Rocksmith 2014: Compatible only with Rocksmith 2014, these songs are on the DLC licensing model.

3. DLC released before Rocksmith 2014: Compatible with both the original Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014, these songs are on the DLC licensing model, and if it weren't for the Steam issue, you would be able to purchase these songs if you owned either game. On XBOX360 and PS3, this is not an issue. Only Steam has the issue where a DLC can not be linked to two separate games. Supposedly, they are working to fix the issue, but it has been a long time. The only current "fix" is to get a copy of the original game, preferably from somewhere cheaper than Steam. Several places sell Steam codes for the game, or original boxes, for cheaper than the current Steam price of $29.99 US. EDIT--This "fix" works for Mac owners, too. All you have to do is own the game in Steam. You do not have to install it.

4. On Disc songs from the original Rocksmith: These songs were licensed only to be used by people who owned the first game. Ubisoft had to pay fees to the license holders to allow for those songs to be able to be transferred into the new game. Thus, in order to transfer these songs into Rocksmith 2014, you have to own the original game on Steam, and purchase the $10 transfer tool. It is a licensing issue, not a money grab by Ubisoft. Ubisoft was unable to successfully negotiate for five songs to be transferred. Songs by Eric Clapton (Cream), Chris Lee, and Seth Chapla (except for Carol of the Bells) will not transfer. EDIT--This also works for Mac users.

I understand it is kind of a mess, but modern licensing is to blame for it... Steam's problem is normally a safety feature to prevent people from accidentally buying DLC for games they do not own. Why they haven't fixed it for Rocksmith yet is beyond me, but I can understand why it is in place.

Coolbreeze
12-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Wish I could pay a licensing fee and import all my Rock Band songs (probably in the 1,000 range). Hrmm wonder how well the guitar parts would match up since Rock Band was using the semi real guitar at the end there. I guess bends would be out as well as vibrato since there were only strings on the body and not the neck. =/

VarriusTX
12-24-2013, 07:43 AM

The $10 import pack is claimed to be due to licensing fee's for moving all of the original on disc songs to the new game. It's quite a bargain really. I was somewhat disappointed that I had to pay to play all the songs I had already purchased originally, but also excited that I was going to be able to play them in RS2014. You only need to purchase this if you want the original RS1 on disc songs, which like I said is quite a bargain at $10 for 50 or so songs.

Jack_Ripper1888
12-24-2013, 12:52 PM

The on disc tracks that come over from the first game were re-done with the added techniques and also probably licensing issues with the artist/publisher. There are 5 tracks that didn't make it over. most noticeably the Seth Chapla tracks because he went working for the "other side."

raynebc
12-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Wish I could pay a licensing fee and import all my Rock Band songs (probably in the 1,000 range). Hrmm wonder how well the guitar parts would match up since Rock Band was using the semi real guitar at the end there. I guess bends would be out as well as vibrato since there were only strings on the body and not the neck. =/
The Squier guitar controller has full-length guitar strings that run from the headstock to the bridge, I can confirm this because I own one. The metal used for the frets themselves was probably too soft though, I saw some pictures where somebody had completely worn them down, probably doing bends, vibrato and so on.