PDA

View Full Version : tournaments - making the riches richer

Illidan10
12-05-2013, 05:15 PM
seriously that jackpot tournament for expample, you need to get as much wins as you can and lowest number of loses

now a player with a perfect deck who has lots of gold will probebly be one of the first places while a 500 elo player who needs the gold dosent stand a chance agienst those decks

also in the swis tourments is nearly the same , I end up 2-1 for wins and get nothing, that break points thing is useless ..

I would like to see some balancing in the tournaments , involving elo to find oppenents at the same level as yours like in the duels

Kinetic_42
12-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Illidan: Tying Tournaments to ELO would only encourage ELO smurfing.

Tournaments are for the most competitive play. There are other avenues to gain gold/packs that are not like that, for instance, ladder and weekly rewards.

newkruemel
12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Both jackpot and swiss are competitive constructed tournaments. That said, you shouldn't be surprised to face fine-tuned and extremely expensive decks because that's exactly what constructed is about. Building the best possible deck using the entire card pool.

I'd love to see some limited formats for DoC, though.

Revalon
12-10-2013, 11:33 PM
You know Illidan, since we have the Altar of Wishes, it is very easy to build a deck that can get you to T1 if you know how to play it and invest enough time.
Though I don't play copied decks to rank high in JP (or in general don't try that for lack of time), you could do so.

EnlightenedOwl
12-11-2013, 03:47 AM
This game is very skill-intensive. My suggestion to the original poster is to not worry about what other people are doing or how much money they have or anything like that and focus on yourself both in terms of improving as a player and improving your deck. There are several decks that are relatively cheap to acquire that can legitimately get you into tier one without too much issue IF you play well enough. That's a big if. Focus on improving your play.

VampFury
12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Maybe it's a bit boring for newer players to only play ladder.

I will just add something from DoC improvement thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/814479-DoC-improvements-topic-%28in-depth-analysis-and-discussion%29) here:

"1.2 Elo system rework.
Lets face it, it causes a lot of problems the way it is. As user Tententai stated on other thread elo system in ladder or in Jackpot doesn't give people incentive to play at some point. I think that with lower amount of players, maybe it was necessary, but now I think it needs rework. My suggestion that solves some troubles would be league system like in LoL and SC2. Elo could be invisible, and you could see points in your league.

...1.2.1 Tournaments could be divided by league.
Maybe Jackpot tournament could be for all, but at least swiss should be divided in leagues. And you need stuff to motivate people to be in as high league as they can be. This can be invitational tournaments and end of season rewards and/or some achievements maybe? Also you could have worlds invitational tournament from highest league or something along those lines. Time spent in league should also matter, to prevent someone farming lower leagues and "end of season" they just raise up to higher league."

That could be the way to resolve both OPs and Kinetic_42 concerns.