PDA

View Full Version : Storm and Fleet Building questions?

Frag_Maniac
12-04-2013, 02:01 AM
I didn't have too much trouble with the Nothing is True mission, but in sailing to the assassin hideout to meet James Kidd, I encountered a storm. It did a fair bit of damage so I tried looking for a new location on the way to unlock and hit up a harbormaster for repairs. This proved treacherous as well since it was hard to steer clear of enemy vessels. Here's where the problem entered in, and I don't know if it's a glitch. I managed to sneak into Cumberland Bay even with an enemy ship very near and suspicious after the skies and seas calmed, but the game said I could not let go of the wheel in storms and high seas. Clearly the storm was not still present, no waves big enough to have to steer through, no water spouts, no rain, thunder, lightning, and pretty much clear skies. So I sailed on toward the hideout, trying other undiscovered spots. Half were caverns marked by ship wrecks that were inaccessible, and the other half still resulted in the game refusing to let me let go of the ship wheel and dock.

I FINALLY found a port that would let me dock, Grand Cayman, and ironically the weather was not only no better, it quickly turned to a downpour once I docked. I was then able to repair the ship and sell some cargo, but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth as far as pacing in this game. I understand there appears to be a bit of grinding involved to prepare the Jackdaw for certain encounters, but I had just spent most of what I had on the objective at Inagua to do 5 upgrades on Edward's hideout, and it seems acquiring that Spanish gallion just prior left me with few resources to do so with. There's times this game seems to conflict between "No, you can't do that yet", and "Geez, prepare better dummy", without even rewarding you properly on missions that the dialog leads you to believe WILL prepare you.

I imagine a LOT of people try exploring early on vs fast traveling, if nothing else to unlock places to ALLOW you to fast travel with, but the game seems to heavily limit the way in which you can do that, unless you want treacherous sailing the likes of which I encountered. It seems the only way to play the game in the first 20-30% of it is to take on ships in the north regions one at a time and slowly upgrade the Jackdaw. the problem is there are many upgrades which lead you to beilve you need to do more story missions to unlock them, and that's where treacherous sailing enters in.

You might ask why then did I not fast travel to Havana or Bonavista before going to the hideout? Well, I was trying to avoid doing battle with forts after encountering the storm. Bonavista spawns you right near one, and Havana spawns you on the north vs south coast, so you end up having to sail past that same fort. I'm pretty sure the ship wheel thing was a bug because I kept seeing a water spout icon on the mini map even when I got to the hideout and the were none as far as the eye could see.

As for Fleets, is it only good for resource harvesting or can you take over forts and vessels as well to make sailing certain passages easier?

MnemonicSyntax
12-04-2013, 02:20 AM
I never fast travel. Ever.

And I've played AC4 with a method. I'll go between locations or missions and do much of what I can on the side, be it stopping for treasure, hunting, harpooning, naval combat (if my ship can handle it) and everything in between. This makes the game more interesting and I also get resources as well as needed.

Your problem is you upgraded the hideout first, when you should only do that as you have extra money, It's logical to upgrade the Jackdaw as much as you can first, before spending money on other things.

If you mean Fleets as in "Kenway's Fleet" you can use it to unlock one upgrade for the Jackdaw, two treasure chest locations, (so 3 maps altogether), a ton of Reales and prizes you can use to decorate the Hideout.

Eventually, you'll get to a mission where you can attack a fort and you can and will be able to take over all of them, but you do it with the Jackdaw only, no assistance from other ships in your fleet, so I would sail back North and start grinding on ships as much as you can. I normally don't suggest grinding and instead a "go explore and do everything in between" but since it seems (you may have though) you didn't do that, you need to go back and upgrade the Jackdaw as much as possible. Avoid upgrading Edward or buying any animal parts either, as you can hunt for them, but if money allows, and you don't feel like hunting, buy the parts you need but I will warn you, they can get pricey.

Also, any Social Events you find (Blue treasure chest on the mini-map, Blue (White) Whales and Blue Ship with an R) are all big time money makers, White Whales are worth 4000 Reales a skin, and Royal Convoys (Blue ship with an R) are worth at least 10,000 Reales.

Frag_Maniac
12-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Yeah you're right, I shouldn't have blown money on that hideout. If there was a way to replay that mission and not spend that money I would, but I don't think that's possible. What sucked me into the upgrades is they started out looking more useful than cosmetic, like the harbormaster station I figured might be a way to repair the Jackdaw for free. Then other upgrades started popping up, none of which had to do with the actual interior of the hideout itself, so I thought they would be more useful than cosmetic. They were FAR too expensive for what little you get out of them though. The game clearly lacks balance in some regards.

So fleet use only aids in a non combat sense as far as resource gathering? That's odd, one of the main hurdles to overcome before unlocking most locations is just traveling open waters toward the southern regions, yet having a fleet does zero to aid in that? So basically it still takes some grinding to equip the Jackdaw, just a bit less with fleet resources?

MnemonicSyntax
12-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Yeah you're right, I shouldn't have blown money on that hideout. If there was a way to replay that mission and not spend that money I would, but I don't think that's possible. What sucked me into the upgrades is they started out looking more useful than cosmetic, like the harbormaster station I figured might be a way to repair the Jackdaw for free. Then other upgrades started popping up, none of which had to do with the actual interior of the hideout itself, so I thought they would be more useful than cosmetic. They were FAR too expensive for what little you get out of them though. The game clearly lacks balance in some regards.

So fleet use only aids in a non combat sense as far as resource gathering? That's odd, one of the main hurdles to overcome before unlocking most locations is just traveling open waters toward the southern regions, yet having a fleet does zero to aid in that? So basically it still takes some grinding to equip the Jackdaw, just a bit less with fleet resources?

Far less. Fleets only trade consumables, like rice, tobacco, etc. The only thing worthwhile you get from fleets is Reales as far as helping out the grind. Otherwise, if you keep going with the fleet, you'll get decorations for the hideout, 3 more buried treasure map, an outfit and I believe that's it.

It's primarily for the Companion App, so you can do all the fleet stuff when you're on a tablet or cell phone and away from the main game.

Frag_Maniac
12-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Well I'm having a go at it in the north and have added two more hull armor upgrades and only have the Elite armor to go. I have just over half the Reales I need for Elite and way more metal than I need, but it's really been a pain to get the wood. I think I only have like 100 units toward the required 750. I'm raiding mostly Brigs and Schooners, sometimes 3 ships at a time. Just took my second fort too. I find it odd when you plunder a ship as large as a brig, you can use it for scrap to repair the Jackdaw, yet you don't get any wood from it unless it's carrying it as cargo. I think I'll have to look for some more warehouses to raid. It's nice having the armor upgrades I've managed so far though, makes a huge difference. Man there's WAY less storms in the north, there's not nearly as many water spouts.

MnemonicSyntax
12-04-2013, 03:44 PM
If you head in the Medium area (white labeled) you should be able to find more ships with wood. As it stands, if you're only lacking Elite Armor, you're pretty well armored and should be able to take out a few Man O' Wars or whatever is carrying loads of wood. Make sure to use that spyglass! :)